Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

A Christmas Birb-icle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Merry Honkmas!! Alex is the true spirit of holiday honks....

I love him, he makes me smile :) He always seems so happy!!

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

Hey bird crazies, I used to post here about my two green cheek conures a lot but in March 2018 I had our first kid. So sadly, I am dealing with the fact that re-homing the birds is probably going to need to happen because my husband, who never seemed to mind the birds before our daughter was born now HATES them. They don't get along so they are in their own cages in our living room behind our couch and when our daughter was first home they would be out in the room. Their wings are trimmed but obviously they can still fly to the couch and one day when she was about 2 months old they got spooked and one of them landed on her leg. Hubby lost it and said if they landed on her face and a claw got in her eye or they bit a finger or toe she'd be blinded/maimed for life and that they needed to be in their cages while she was in the room. So for about 10 months the only time I could let them out was when she was napping in her room or when I took her into a different room. So being in their cages more meant they were way more vocal which made him LIVID at times. I minded the noise a little but I understood why they were doing it but every time they made noise it made me incredibly anxious because I never knew when he was going to flip out over it. Having a little baby was obviously stressful and he got extra irritated because he felt like their noise kept her up at times because you can hear them from any room in the house including her room. Well, we are expecting our second baby at the end of May which is only going to increase his stress level and result in a repeat of them being stuck in their cages again.

During that 10 month time period I tried my best to play with them but they obviously didn't fully understand the shift in the house and while they were out they'd refuse to step up most of the time and just play with their toys while relaxing outside the cage. Our daughter is bigger and I can let them out with her in the room but they still don't ever want to step up or get pet anymore. And obviously since they are birds they still make noises and he can't stand it. In the past he has talked about getting one nicer cage, putting them both in it to fight it out until they get used to each other the same one and putting it in the laundry room so they can be out more and keep the noise from being as bad. I'd been planning on getting a double cage and putting it in there in the spring because they just can't live together in my opinion. BUT the laundry room is off of the bathroom and so they'd be pretty isolated even with the door open and they'd probably fly out to find us and since she is just under 2 our daughter is freaked out by the birds and gets upset when they get spooked/fly from one their cage to their window stands.

So today while laying with her in her room to get her to nap the birds were yelling while he was doing paperwork for his job (where the work pressure, stress, and time he puts in after hours has risen a lot due to changes the last year) and he lost it and so when I came down he went on a rant about how they need to get moved into the same cage in the laundry room right away and they'd either need to get along or kill one another because the living room is supposed to be his one place of relaxation but isn't because he always has to hear them. He also does not want them sitting on his shoulder like he did before she was born nor does he ever pay attention to them Basically the birds went from having both of us attention to them before our daughter came to only me, which obviously isn't enough.

Ugh this post ended up way longer than I intended and it frustrates me he ever let me get the birds in the first place because birds don't stop being birds just because a kid comes along and I feel like he should have been able to anticipate how his feelings about bird ownership would change after having a kid We have had one bird for 7 years and other for 5 and the thought of being another one of those a-holes who re-homes their parrot makes me feel so bad but I also know this just isn't the best environment for them if he just resents their existence. So yeah, this sucks.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

:sympathy:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
that poo poo sucks rear end and i'm sorry you're basically being forced to choose between him or the birds :smith:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Move his poo poo into the laundry room so he can be a jerk away from the birds?

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Kitfox88 posted:

that poo poo sucks rear end and i'm sorry you're basically being forced to choose between him or the birds :smith:
Yeah it's not a great situation for anyone because while I get his point of view in some respects but I think he lets them stress him out unnecessarily. But I also wonder if a better option is to just re-home the bird we have had for five years because she is the one who makes the majority of the noise. She was pushed on us by a family member as a re-home from her boss who was moving and couldn't keep her. In retrospect it was a bad decision to taker her in but I thought we were doing the right thing at the time so our male bird had a companion... which never happened. In the past I had posted here about how aggressive she was to me for awhile and has always been to our male bird. She has only ever barely tolerated being pet but never truly bonded with us or our other bird and has been intermittently destructive over the years.

Despite her standoffish nature, since having our daughter, the minute I walk out of the room, almost every time I leave the room, she starts contact calling or making some other noise until I come back. But when I try to pick her up to give her attention she runs away like she always has and only rarely tolerates being put on my shoulder. With all that in mind, and the fact the possibility of having to re-home the male bird given his bond with us really bothers me makes me wonder if having her put into a home that better suits her needs would be best regardless. I'm just torn over what the best option is: keep both in the laundry room and hope eventually we have a bigger place for them but still having to deal with my spouse's reaction to their noise especially when the newborn arrives, re-home the female and hope the situation improves for us and for her, or re-home them both so their needs are better met.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

That's a lovely situation to be in OB. I understand that rehoming may be unavoidable, but I suggest also (not instead) your husband see someone and get checked out for PPD, which there isn't a lot of talk about for men. Definitely being on edge and the paranoia about a conure-sized bird being able to horrifically maim your baby can be symptoms of that, and it seems like for your sake and sanity as well he should speak to someone.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I would for sure rehome the problem bird.

It made a MAJOR difference for me when I re-homed Alexis and kept Auri. My life is much quieter and calmer now and Auri is happier too.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I’m sorry you’re having to go through all of this and my heart goes out to you. If the birds get rehomed, I’m sure you’ll do a good job with it.

Unsolicited thoughts - After reading all of that, your husband sounds like he might need some therapy. People operating at that high of a stress will eventually break down. Nobody, and I mean nobody, is made of iron. Every single human has a breaking point and he sounds close to his.

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Unsolicited thoughts - After reading all of that, your husband sounds like he might need some therapy. People operating at that high of a stress will eventually break down. Nobody, and I mean nobody, is made of iron. Every single human has a breaking point and he sounds close to his.
Oh yeah he definitely needs it given how he was treated by his mom and stepdad growing up, but sadly would never go for it: I've suggested it in the past and again recently. He's made tremendous growth over the 18 plus years we've been together but still has stuff I wish he'd get help working on. But that is a different matter.

I had talked with him about possibly re-homing the birds in the past but his response was basically "we shouldn't be part of that cycle of moving birds from one place to the next" but his suggestion of placing them away from the main part of the house just seems worse to me because in order to not hear them the door would need to be closed so they'd basically be in a room alone until I went in there to spend time with them. I work full time, have my daughter and will eventually have a newborn so my free time to do so would be very limited.

There is a great parrot society in my state that does rescues and can do both surrenders and placements so I sent an email asking for some information so I can make a final decision soon. I approached him and told him that I had emailed them and was thinking of surrendering one or both birds and he started to go into his previous spiel but I asked him to listen and explained that our current situation is no good for them and his stress at the birds causes me a ton of stress as I have no idea when their noises will be too much making him upset and that putting them away in the laundry room won't do anything but dampen any noise they might make while isolating them which will probably make them louder in response. That compounded with the fact he has no interest in them any more isn't optimal for them because it leaves it all to me and if they can be put into a home with someone who can give them the attention they need it will be best for their happiness. I told him the decision was up to me and I'd let him know what I would decide.

Thanks for listening everyone.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Always glad to listen. I'm just hoping your family comes to the best resolution possible.

In other news, I got a picture of Sleepy Serra in mid-yawn!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Opera Bitch posted:

Thanks for listening everyone.

Good luck, friend.

I'm in the process of gathering info to record this situation properly, but in the meantime care for the birds. I am in contact with an animal control officer who seems to have a good understanding of the situation. Under law since the birds have food, water, shelter and are not actively dying it is not considered a cruelty case, but she agrees that something needs to be done to help the birds and said it's going to be a long haul. Right now it's in the document/reporting phase to her and she seems to have experience in working with animal hoarders, so I'm going to follow her lead on this.

Her primary concern is that legally we cannot seize the birds and rehome them given the circumstances, but she now has my report with pictures (I won't show you thread, they are heartbreaking) and understands that the birds are being neglected. Her suggestion is to care for them the best I can this week, continue documenting and to try to get a picture of each bird - it will help understand the condition of each animal and if they get rehomed it could help adopt them out. This is actually going to be really scary because most of the birds are very cage aggro, save for the pigeons and canaries. When the owners get home she said I should get paid, keep a good rapport with the owners and see if there's a way I can at least get some of the birds re-homed in a friendly manner and that the shelter will be assisting me greatly with that.

It's an excellent shelter so although it's not geared towards birds it's in a rich enough place I've seen a few birds in there and they seemed well cared for, so that's a little ray of hope there.

After that point she expressed concern that the owner is hoarding dogs, too (I agree but have no evidence since the dogs are kenneled at a facility) and that if we simply remove the animals she will replace them with other 'rescues'. Her hope is that by staying on her good side we can lighten the load and have documentation so that if/when she becomes a repeat offender they can take action and seize animals. I'm guessing with animal hoarders some fix themselves up after a bout of that but other times they have to just have the hoarders on the list and be ready to raid the house periodically? It's not good, but maybe it can help.

The count so far seems to be 5 eclectuses, 2 parrotlets, 2 lovebirds, 1 green cheek conure, 2 parakeets, 1 indoor pigeon that I can't ID. 10? rock doves/outdoor pigeons in a small aviary outside, and 10? canaries. I changed everyone's food, water and scrubbed as best as I could to get poop off of some of the surfaces that they at least eat and drink around.

The little green cheek (who doesn't seem to have a name? Most of these birds don't...) is extremely hand shy and cage aggro, so I took advantage of this and their seed-only diet to bait them into biting...

a raspberry.

The confusion, indignant rage, confusion again, beak smacking and then the cautious nibble at the second bite was goddamn heart wrenching. After a few bites they went back into the cage and gave a genuine fluff up and tail waggle. Good bird.

So everyone got raspberries, blackberries and some cooked corn kernels today. If they don't birdspicion the hell out of those I'll give them more and work them up to some actual chop throughout the week.

The eclectuses get chop, but they are mostly lettuce and cabbage.

I won't provide too many updates since I don't want to depress the thread, but I feel this is good information for anyone else who might encounter this situation. It's been a lot of shrugs from various shelters and organizations with "Sorry, we can't help you, we don't service (your area) (birds) (animals that you don't own)."

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 23, 2019

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Thank you for doing everything you're doing. It sounds hard as heck, but you're doing the right thing.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
https://i.imgur.com/PSmH93J.gifv

You're all fantastic, bird thread

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

My attempt at christmas dinner for the birds:

(Egg with butter, bell pepper, and nuts. I'm bad at keeping a stock of greens.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

If y'all want a papercraft bird: Skatebird is here!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

tag yourself i'm LOVE RAPTOR

also I am mentally exhausted rn from both forums and rl drama so this post is kinda short but opera bitch I'm so sorry youre going through what you're going through. reminds me of my ex's "relationship" with ama. I remember you, you have the gcc tattoo right? :( i agree with kenshin rehoming the problem bird may be the best choice rn. if she and the other gcc don't get along anyway I don't think she'll be too broken up about it and boy gcc and your husband may be happier in your own current home.

chaos your own gcc story is heartwarming and breaking simultaneously. idk about the rest of the crazies but I'd like to hear a few more updates about your work with the sadbirbs :(/:shobon:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Some people call me a space cowboy
Some call me the Raptor of love

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I...

Am...

GREENCHEEKODON and PEACHFRONTASAURUS REX!!!

by our powers combined...

we are BIRDIESAURUSODON rarrrrrrrr

we give momma a splitting headache cos she had the nerve to be out getting Christmas eve and Christmas day dinner for peoples and birdses. Shame on me. I should be flogged for daring to get them a treat...sigh.

All I want for Xmas is a buttload of Advil lol oh my ears...even the bribes didn't help. I already told them that they are both teetering on the line between naughty list and good list and that Santa might not come if they act up like this.

Trevor and Cricket both just said in chorus "It's yummy its good its good yummy dinner" so I have the feeling they either ate the naughty list OR they ate Santa. We will see...

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra had a night fright last night. She knocked out most of her flight feathers on her left wing and bled a little. It was terrifying for me, but she didn’t seem to actively bleed once the feathers came out. Today, she is being extra sleepy, which is the norm for her after a fright.

Question - Yellow the parakeet is a fat little bean who is clumsier than any bird I’ve ever known. I think the night frights are stared by Yellow falling from her perch after missing a nighttime jump.

Serra and the parakeets are right next to each other and share a cover blanket. Should I start using different cover blankets for them? Or move Serra to another room at night? I absolutely do not want Serra putting herself in trouble when Yellow fumbles around at night.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
You might be on to something. The sound of Yellow falling and flailing to get back up on a perch might make Serra think something dangerous is out there - after all, if she hears hurried flapping noises, maybe she assumes that nearby birds are flying away from something dangerous?

Also it donned on me that we haven't seen Yellow and Blue in a long time. Even though they're shy you should snap some photos. If only because budgies are automatically funny to me.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I’ll see what I can do. :derptiel:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My best Christmas present is that after two years, Ozzy has reached a point in the last week where he's suddenly trying to gently move into my or Sera's space instead of just waiting for one of us to ask if we can come into his. Still no touching! He wants no one to touch him! But he's pushing his own boundaries in little ways.

Yesterday, there was a crying woman in the video game I was playing, and the birds went silent, and I looked over and they were both looking at me in worried confusion, because they could see I wasn't the one crying but they weren't sure what to do, and Ozzy gave me the most gentle little ???? noise. I told him I was okay and he was satisfied with that, went back to trying to destroy the treat bowl.

The first year I had him, his attitude towards me was "defensively angry." He didn't trust me, didn't like me, would frequently panic and bite the poo poo out of me, but seemed to have accepted that I was in his life and I brought him delicious things so he tolerated me. I really don't doubt that he loves me back these days.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Disco Salmon posted:

Trevor and Cricket both just said in chorus "It's yummy its good its good yummy dinner" so I have the feeling they either ate the naughty list OR they ate Santa. We will see...

:birdthunk:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

lol i love it

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

also I am mentally exhausted rn from both forums and rl drama

:h:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:h: back, idk how you did this by yourself lmao. I only have Jeffrey rn but fortunately since he is a coder that's like TWO co-admins

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The best part of any movie is Charlie yelling an incredulous "WHAT!!?" into every dramatic pause.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

also I am mentally exhausted rn from both forums and rl drama so this post is kinda short but opera bitch I'm so sorry youre going through what you're going through. reminds me of my ex's "relationship" with ama. I remember you, you have the gcc tattoo right? :( i agree with kenshin rehoming the problem bird may be the best choice rn. if she and the other gcc don't get along anyway I don't think she'll be too broken up about it and boy gcc and your husband may be happier in your own current home.
Man, you became an admin at an... interesting time for the forums. I hope having a supportive boyfriend and two smoochy birds helps.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra is such a sleepy bird the day after she loses feathers. Poor thing.

I also found a tiny splatter of her blood on the wall. When she has a fright, she goes hard.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The best part of any movie is Charlie yelling an incredulous "WHAT!!?" into every dramatic pause.

All I get is either a "Huhhhhh?" noise from Cricket or hearing her go "REALLYYYY??"

Trev seems to get really excited over any heavy battle scenes or car chases... I shouldn't be surprised with him tho.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 25, 2019

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Thank you Charlie for voicing my inner child.

Good luck Birdmod, Opera Bitch, we are rooting for you both! I'll provide the happiest part showing some progress today:

The second pair of eclectuses (the less aggro pair) accepted apple slices from my hand (male) and from a plate I was holding in the cage (female). I was pretty nervous about the male eyeing my hand when I was offering food to the female and she was taking a minute or two to consider her options between apple slices but thankfully he never went for it. These were both in the cage with the door open, so this is extremely promising for these birds.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to all birds and bird friends. These birds are getting something I'm willing to bet they've never had in their lives for xmas: Hard boiled eggs.

I have the not-so-secret hope that the eclectuses will learn that eggs are Yummy and should be Eaten, which should end breeding hopes for them, but primarily I just want them to have something tasty and nutricious. Smaller birds will get parts of eggs to split.

Captain Log posted:

Serra is such a sleepy bird the day after she loses feathers. Poor thing.

I also found a tiny splatter of her blood on the wall. When she has a fright, she goes hard.
I think I agree on the 'multiple covers' point, as when I had four parakeets together one having a slip up at night would set the others off, and splitting them into two pairs and covering them separately seemed to reduce the number of frights overall.

Edit: Happy Kwanzaa too! I'm a mutt who knows nothing about culture.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 25, 2019

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Merry Chirstmas bird friends and bird mod.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Also it donned on me that we haven't seen Yellow and Blue in a long time. Even though they're shy you should snap some photos. If only because budgies are automatically funny to me.
yes i love the boodge

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/41Strange/status/1209365831710208005

Merry Christmas bird thread, thank you for being a source of joy and comfort this year. May your birds be happy, healthy, and only scream a little today!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Merry Christmas/happy holidays bird thread bird crazies and actual associated birds, you are all the greatest. :)

:kimchi:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

In the spirit of Christmas I tried to nibble one to entice Mochi with some of these, but he wasn't interested even though I've tried multiple times now. They were... good?
https://www.chewy.com/kaytee-fiesta-krunch-rounds-hookbill/dp/122775

...it's weird if I just eat the bird treats isn't it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone. This is one of the few corners of the internet that I think is truly good and I love you all...whoever you people are. :derptiel: