Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

a cartoon duck posted:

i also have opinions on characters here is my tiered list

S: Fathard
A: Dadden
F: Everyone else

Honorable mention: Firmalbert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Happy Starlight, please livepost the Crown of the Immaculate

Sitting in queue. Don't have my astrologian high enough to queue so I have to deal with slow DPS queues.

I thought Zenos was a megalomaniac but Vauthry towers over that.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Velveteen posted:

Sitting in queue. Don't have my astrologian high enough to queue so I have to deal with slow DPS queues.

I thought Zenos was a megalomaniac but Vauthry towers over that.

Are you on Primal? I can queue as healer to help you out.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cleretic posted:

I'd rate Vauthry as one of the best ShB characters, easily and happily. Sure, he's not deep and he's not tremendously likeable, but he's a solid villain that doesn't waste a second of his screentime. He's either in or facilitates some of ShB's strongest scenes, and there's not a moment he's around where I'm not interested in what he's doing.

:yeah:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Velveteen posted:

Feo Ul

We built a giant Talos and is grabbing a floating island in the sky. And its getting attacked. Oh no what do we do. Then Feo Ul sweeps in to save the day. I almost forgot their existence. Feo Ul is the best character in shadowbringers. Now for the final light warden. And the eventual betrayal.

The crystal warden seems like a good person though. We had a little talk. He's apparently a golem of some sort? I asked why he was going so far for this world he obviously isn't part of and its for a woman? His dead wife? I don't know I got betrayed enough to expect something from him. I do hope he's a good person though. He seems fairly genuine.

Did you play the Crystal Tower raid series?

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Vauthry Fight :supaburn:

That was a pretty difficult fight. Mostly because half the group was new and we had 3 black mages crying about movement. Ended up wiping. When Vauthry finally transformed into Innocence a black mage lying on the floor cried out "Oh no he's hot now." Also I knew itttttttt. Emet Selch you bastard. At first I was like crystal warden you bastard. Then it was revealed.

Its Gra-Tia or something! I can't remember his name. I feel terrible for that. But I know he was the one who sealed the crystal tower and would "awaken" when man reached the allaghans. I remember asking if there were anyone in the tower when he teleported it over when we first met and he said no. So I sort of removed him from my thoughts because it was probably from another world where allaghans existed and not ours. I was sort of correct in his plan where he was going to teleport us to make us blow up the source but he was going to take the light and teleport himself to nowhere blow up.

I sort of expected to become a super lightwarden ever since emet selch told us to kill them. I feel terrible to rob the night from everyone after giving them hope. This expansion is great. It now beats HW my previous favorite expansion. Almost to the end now. I guess we go and hunt down emet-selch and blast him with all the light we have to erase his existence and dispel the light at the same time saving both worlds.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I look back fondly on my own reaction to that cutscene.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I KNEW IT

EDIT: HOLY gently caress WHAT

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Velveteen posted:

Vauthry Fight :supaburn:

:words:

I cannot wait until you get to the lead up cutscene before the final trial and the aftermath. Keep live posting this poo poo, I love seeing people enjoying ShB.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Crystal Exarch :cry:

I'm sorry for doubting you! I just saw the entire backstory. We became the inspiration for future generations. The book the fortemps head was writing in heavensward, the stories passed down in stormblood all became legends of us and our journey. I teared up there. All this was to save you so you can save the world once again.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm so excited for like every post you do from now until the end because Shadowbringers sticks the landing better than like any Final Fantasy in decades

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah this has been the highlight of my Christmas. When you get to a certain point be sure to take the screenshot. (You'll know when.)

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Velveteen posted:

I remember asking if there were anyone in the tower when he teleported it over when we first met and he said no.
He very specifically rule-lawyers that question hard.

"...I am not familiar with that name. Is there something I should know?"
"An extraordinary tale. But I'm afraid I found no such individual residing in the tower when it passed into my care. Mayhap we can revisit that mystery another time. For now, I think it best that we focus on the present."

Of course there was no one of that name in the tower when he became the owner, as he himself was in the World of Darkness when he received the privilege. And he's not familiar with that name because he hasn't been called it in who knows how long.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Had to chime in saying these posts are awesome and keep it up!

Also, if anyone like me missed SB and have heard what a nightmarish hellhole Eureka is, turns out... it’s *REALLY* good now!

I know most of the people in this thread are traumatized by the experience doing it when it was current content, but if you’re coming to it fresh now it’s some of the best content in the entire game. The Echo buff makes it an enjoyable experience solo. It’s crammed full of nostalgic touches from FFXI. (I got a Scorp Harness today!) It’s retro content in the best possible way.

It’s been super fun flexing long-unused skills like distinguishing different aggro types, carefully exploring a new zone, having to level up till new areas become accessible (due to monster difficulty not story quest gating), XPing off mobs that actually do interesting and threatening things.

It’s old fashioned in all the right ways and secondary enough to the main content in the game now that no one ever has to set foot in there if they don’t want to.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Velveteen posted:

Crystal Exarch :cry:

I'm sorry for doubting you! I just saw the entire backstory. We became the inspiration for future generations. The book the fortemps head was writing in heavensward, the stories passed down in stormblood all became legends of us and our journey. I teared up there. All this was to save you so you can save the world once again.

I was kind of tickled that you totally missed G'raha Tia basically confessing that he wanted to spend more time with you. :allears:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I was kind of tickled that you totally missed G'raha Tia basically confessing that he wanted to spend more time with you. :allears:

Then he shouldn't have sealed up the tower in the first place.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

BGrifter posted:

Had to chime in saying these posts are awesome and keep it up!

Also, if anyone like me missed SB and have heard what a nightmarish hellhole Eureka is, turns out... it’s *REALLY* good now!

I know most of the people in this thread are traumatized by the experience doing it when it was current content, but if you’re coming to it fresh now it’s some of the best content in the entire game. The Echo buff makes it an enjoyable experience solo. It’s crammed full of nostalgic touches from FFXI. (I got a Scorp Harness today!) It’s retro content in the best possible way.

It’s been super fun flexing long-unused skills like distinguishing different aggro types, carefully exploring a new zone, having to level up till new areas become accessible (due to monster difficulty not story quest gating), XPing off mobs that actually do interesting and threatening things.

It’s old fashioned in all the right ways and secondary enough to the main content in the game now that no one ever has to set foot in there if they don’t want to.

Pagos is still a boring shithole of light farming that's too active to be fully AFK but too boring to pay attention to.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

At that point in time I was super distrusting of him and didn't realize what he said. I was totally convinced he was plotting something. With like a small sliver of a chance he might be good.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Ardbieber.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

rhoga posted:

S: Fathard
A: Dadden
F: Everyone else

Honorable mention: Firmalbert

:siren: A CHALLENGER APPEARS :siren:

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Firmalbert is still the best npc name but Thenoise is pretty great too. Yes, I know it’s not actually pronounced like that.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Thickeman and Wyd Lad

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I still think that An Lad is an amazing name.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm honored but I don't think this is possible. I think these beast tribes need to study up on humanoid specie biology. That made me think. There are obvious mix races. Are beast races defined by their inability to mix with the civilized races? Because there are clearly those hrothgar who look more beast than human. While something like an anata looks humanoid enough compared to hrothgar.

Also plot pushing npc "Have you met genoldt. No? Maybe you'll meet him sometime if your paths are meant to cross."

Five minutes later "Hi, I'm genoldt." Thanks game for telling me about someone and then immediately meet him for the first time right after.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
"Beast races" are defined by racism and who you want to have an excuse to kill

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Velveteen posted:

Five minutes later "Hi, I'm genoldt." Thanks game for telling me about someone and then immediately meet him for the first time right after.

Amazingly, some people forget about him 5 minutes after they meet him, judging by the amount of people I had to tell 'hey, get your starter lvl 80 gear from that dude' :v:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Canonically the "beast" designation was created by the Ul'Dah Syndicate in order to dispossess tribes of their lands for mineral rights

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Rewatching some cutscenes and man, one of these days Alisaie is going to be standing a little too close behind Urianger and he is going to smack her right in the face with that ‘silence!’ arm swing he keeps doing. He doesn’t even look and almost got her right in the eye at the Chrystarium.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Rewatching some cutscenes and man, one of these days Alisaie is going to be standing a little too close behind Urianger and he is going to smack her right in the face with that ‘silence!’ arm swing he keeps doing. He doesn’t even look and almost got her right in the eye at the Chrystarium.

It would cause the M’lady Singularity kicking off a new expansion where you help Urianger find his way home to his anime club where he belongs.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Speaking of beast tribes, whoever decided that there should be beast tribe quests tied to timed FATE completion should be fired.

...no that's too mean I don't actually believe that, but it's bad. I also always show up when there's 2:30 left on the clock, think I can probably get in under the wire, and then fail after 2 minutes of fighting

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Velveteen posted:

I'm honored but I don't think this is possible. I think these beast tribes need to study up on humanoid specie biology. That made me think. There are obvious mix races. Are beast races defined by their inability to mix with the civilized races? Because there are clearly those hrothgar who look more beast than human. While something like an anata looks humanoid enough compared to hrothgar.

Also plot pushing npc "Have you met genoldt. No? Maybe you'll meet him sometime if your paths are meant to cross."

smashmouth eat fertilize the eggs

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Velveteen posted:

Anatomically speaking a hrothgar is your brother compared to an ananta. For one thing, the hrothgar has the same number of legs.

"Beast tribe" is a political term but there are probably some types of people who can't have kids together, even if everyone seems to be able to communicate freely and shares all the common emotional details and so forth that make people people. We know for absolutely sure that hyur and elezen can have kids together, I don't think there's any specific examples otherwise. You're probably not going to get a half-amaljaa half-namazu. But you might get a half-cat half-au ra.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Speaking of beast tribes, whoever decided that there should be beast tribe quests tied to timed FATE completion should be fired.

...no that's too mean I don't actually believe that, but it's bad. I also always show up when there's 2:30 left on the clock, think I can probably get in under the wire, and then fail after 2 minutes of fighting

That stops being a thing after ARR. Blue Mage can cheese those pretty quickly, though, if you have one leveled. Otherwise, yeah, it kinda sucks!

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

BGrifter posted:

It would cause the M’lady Singularity kicking off a new expansion where you help Urianger find his way home to his anime club where he belongs.
Nobody is preventing you from returning to the Waking Sands while spamming /beckon right now.

Canine Conspiracy
Dec 16, 2011

Insert name here posted:

"Beast races" are defined by racism and who you want to have an excuse to kill

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Canonically the "beast" designation was created by the Ul'Dah Syndicate in order to dispossess tribes of their lands for mineral rights
:hai:

The second lore book has an in-universe essay calling it out as transparently made-up, so it's probably to some degree a contentious label at least in scholarly circles. Which makes a lot of sense: Ul'dah only started banning doing business with beastmen (with exceptions for particularly rich ones, naturally) and banning them from the city in 6th Astral 1559. If we ignore the flip to 7th Umbral/Astral, we'd be right around 6A 1577 or 1578, so it's been under 20 years. There are probably still loads of Ul'dahns who remember when it was normal to see a qiqirn or a goblin in the streets, just being normal citizens.

Nessus posted:

You're probably not going to get a half-amaljaa half-namazu.

Unless they were hiding in plain sight all along... :v:

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along
I'm clearing out my armory of junk and I want to avoid selling items in my saved gear sets. How do I identify those items, since there are no filters to hide things in gearsets when selling to vendors?

AstrialJam
Apr 27, 2013

Nessus posted:

Anatomically speaking a hrothgar is your brother compared to an ananta. For one thing, the hrothgar has the same number of legs.

"Beast tribe" is a political term but there are probably some types of people who can't have kids together, even if everyone seems to be able to communicate freely and shares all the common emotional details and so forth that make people people. We know for absolutely sure that hyur and elezen can have kids together, I don't think there's any specific examples otherwise. You're probably not going to get a half-amaljaa half-namazu. But you might get a half-cat half-au ra.

In the Ruby Princess sidequest chain it's mentioned that an Au Ra and a hyur once had a child with almost no scales. I don't know of any other combinations though.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

I'm clearing out my armory of junk and I want to avoid selling items in my saved gear sets. How do I identify those items, since there are no filters to hide things in gearsets when selling to vendors?
Pretty sure you can get better prices from desynth.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Apparently the Ananta are capable of interbreeding with the playable races because they're one of those female only races and that's the only way they can have kids.

The others though, who knows. If they exist, it'd probably only be on the first where relations with the Zun and Mord for instance are far more amicable than with the Amalj'aa and Kobolds on the source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Thundarr posted:

I still think that An Lad is an amazing name.
Fae name fun fact: The fae names appear to be the Norse/Old English runic alphabet translated to Japanese and then back to English.

So An Lad is ᛝᚱ, "Ing Rad" but transliterated as ŋr
Feo Ul is ᚠᚢ, "Feoh Ur" or literally "fu"