Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I might have missed discussion on this, but CDPR has been doing these Japanese-themed statues of Witcher characters that I think is a bit suspicious:

I'm wondering if they might end up going with a Japanese bent for a new game. There's a tremendous amount of weird poo poo that in Japanese folklore and mythology that would probably work really well with Witcher stuff, and would free them from a lot of the choices or circumstances from the original three games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Smol posted:

One thing that bugs me in Witcher 2 is the slow HP regeneration. I'm playing a Swordsman build this time and I have most of the perks that increase your hit points. Turns out that HP regeneration is just flat value, so I have to wait over 100 seconds(!) for my HP to regenenerate to full.

If you like that, in Witcher 3 there is no HP regeneration at all by default.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I might have missed discussion on this, but CDPR has been doing these Japanese-themed statues of Witcher characters that I think is a bit suspicious:

I'm wondering if they might end up going with a Japanese bent for a new game. There's a tremendous amount of weird poo poo that in Japanese folklore and mythology that would probably work really well with Witcher stuff, and would free them from a lot of the choices or circumstances from the original three games.

I just realized the main character from Nioh is just Geralt.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I found this on the internet and I just

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Arglebargle III posted:

If you like that, in Witcher 3 there is no HP regeneration at all by default.

It has abundant food that works quickly and effectively, no biggie.

In Witcher 2, all you can do is to wait or just meditate all the time. Swallow increases out of combat HP generation by 2 HP/s, but when you have 800 HP, it’s a cold comfort.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Catfish Noodlin posted:

This is rad as heck. Geralt is retired but Ciri beating up Japanese mythology creatures in not-Japan would be a heck of a cool idea for a game.

Those statues look amazing too. The details on them are pretty spectacular.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

CDPR would have free reign to create not-japan as well as I don't remember there being anything like that in the books.
Zerrikania is sort of central Asian steppes in flavour.

Those statues are great, I love the styling on them.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Joey Freshwater posted:

I found this on the internet and I just

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Zeta Acosta posted:

They had Yen and Ciri in the third game and didn't nothing with them.

like aside from that whole thing where yen raises a guy from the dead in excruciating pain and refuses to let him rest until he tells them all of the very little information he has in order to aid her search for ciri because she is that desperate and furious and protective of ciri yeah not much going on

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cowcaster posted:

like aside from that whole thing where yen raises a guy from the dead in excruciating pain and refuses to let him rest until he tells them all of the very little information he has in order to aid her search for ciri because she is that desperate and furious and protective of ciri yeah not much going on

that and ciri is the hero of the game technically. geralt is just kinda her weird but good hearted step dad who is tyring to learn how to let his daughter.

Helith posted:

CDPR would have free reign to create not-japan as well as I don't remember there being anything like that in the books.
Zerrikania is sort of central Asian steppes in flavour.

Those statues are great, I love the styling on them.

god id love geralt and ciri go to japan, the game.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

:perfect:

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
My problem with the show was the storytelling. It was too rushed. None of the moments felt earned. They could’ve taken their time and fed us a better narrative. It’s not game of thrones but could’ve learned from their story pace.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
Is there a recommended font size mod or maybe some other way to make the font bigger? Playing on PC but sitting on a couch playing the game on a TV via a steam link and admittedly I'm blind as poo poo but it does feel like the font is still too small. I changed the option in HUD options or wherever to make the HUD larger but it doesn't seem to increase text size across the board.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Wicked Them Beats posted:

They really did nail the spirit of everything. I went in expecting to hate their take on Dandelion/Jaskier, for example, but there's no way you can't listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHgowJ7d33k

and be a little charmed.

Expecting to hate Dandelion but coming away charmed is basically his entire character imo.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pyrus Malus posted:

Is there a recommended font size mod or maybe some other way to make the font bigger? Playing on PC but sitting on a couch playing the game on a TV via a steam link and admittedly I'm blind as poo poo but it does feel like the font is still too small. I changed the option in HUD options or wherever to make the HUD larger but it doesn't seem to increase text size across the board.

There's a bunch of font size mods I recommend whatever's highly rated on nexus.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm very impressed by what Henry Cavill can do with "Hm."

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Arglebargle III posted:

There's a bunch of font size mods I recommend whatever's highly rated on nexus.

lots of font options but there's two that deal with size and they both kinda blow. I guess you can't really increase the font size too much without breaking frames.

straight up would never trust the type of lunatic that installs fonts with serif or that one nosferatu font tho

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Henry Cavill is clearly a fan of Doug Cockle

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hmnh.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
His ability to say, "gently caress." as Geralt is masterful.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fuzz posted:

its great but i prefer Cockle geralt's "poo poo"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its great but i prefer Cockle geralt's "poo poo"

Personally I’m a fan of his exsaperatred sigh

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It’s gonna be hard to really compare the two until Cavalt has to round up a goat with a bell while yelling at it and calling it a “stupid piece of poo poo”.

Orv
May 4, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

It’s gonna be hard to really compare the two until Cavalt has to round up a goat with a bell while yelling at it and calling it a “stupid piece of poo poo”.

This needs to be an episode all on its own.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fargin Icehole posted:

Henry Cavill is clearly a fan of Doug Cockle

There's an interview where he says he was originally trying to do Geralt in his own yorkshire accent because Geralt is a bit of a rural hick but it just wasn't working so he went back to Cockle's performance and realised he'd just nailed it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

My favorite one was When he invoked the Law of Surprise and the girl immediately threw up and the mom asks if she's pregnant. It was just perfect

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Orv posted:

This needs to be an episode all on its own.
If they were making the witcher like they made the mandolorian this could happen but apparently they don't know how to let a show breathe on netflix.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

My favorite one was When he invoked the Law of Surprise and the girl immediately threw up and the mom asks if she's pregnant. It was just perfect

Yeah initially I was disappointed that they've changed that scene from the books, but as the rest of the season developed I think it's a necessary foundation stone of the 'destiny is real and you can't escape or mess with it' theme they gradually build up.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Okay, I finished the show last night. It was a strong finish. The show overall had the vibe to me of a mix between the Xena/Hercules shows in the 90s and the History Channel Vikings show. The writing was eh at times, but the casting was pretty great. I haven't read the books, but I now want to. Not reading the books made the show harder to follow and, having only played TW3, made me iffy on some of the characterizations. Is Yen accurate to the books? I suspect if they were adapting the short stories this season, that made it harder to fit all the pieces together and make it flow. Maybe it'll be easier once they get in to the full length novels. It'd be really cool if they do 4-5 seasons and get all the way through the games.

Qmass posted:

If they were making the witcher like they made the mandolorian this could happen but apparently they don't know how to let a show breathe on netflix.

This is exactly right. Season 1 could have used an extra episode or two of just downtime. Show us some Gwent!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The characters in the games are around five years older than in the books, so their attitudes have softened over time and lightened up a whole lot. Geralt in the games actually regresses a bit due to his amnesia but by the time Witcher 3 roles around he is a lot more laid back, having gotten his memories back and remembered that he needs to chill out.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is that what the deal with Triss was? It's been a while since I played W3 (never played 1&2) and haven't read the books yet. I have this image of Triss where she's fairly bubbly/upbeat, but she didn't seem that way in the show. I didn't let it bother me much because I figured maybe that's just how she was before W3 but I also get these are going off books and not the games.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Joey Freshwater posted:

Is that what the deal with Triss was? It's been a while since I played W3 (never played 1&2) and haven't read the books yet. I have this image of Triss where she's fairly bubbly/upbeat, but she didn't seem that way in the show. I didn't let it bother me much because I figured maybe that's just how she was before W3 but I also get these are going off books and not the games.

Triss has a relatively small role in the books that is basically "I'm horny for Geralt" and then first game capitalizes on that with Geralt having amnesia so Triss inserts herself into his life.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean Yennefer mostly forgives Geralt for sleeping with Triss in Witcher 3 while she spends the first two books absolutely livid at him for not contacting her after Sodden and going to Triss for advice.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Joey Freshwater posted:

Triss in the show seemed the most bubbly/upbeat of all the mages.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So far, show Triss is fairly accurate to book Triss. I hope she gets more screen time.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mean Yennefer mostly forgives Geralt for sleeping with Triss in Witcher 3 while she spends the first two books absolutely livid at him for not contacting her after Sodden and going to Triss for advice.

Mostly. She's angrier at Triss than she is at Geralt overall, if I remember right. Since they're best friends and Triss has always been fully aware of her love for Geralt, and constantly tries to get with him to the point of basically using magic to gently caress him at one point in the books.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
So much of the books did the first season cover? Haven’t had the chance to watch it yet

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Smol posted:

So much of the books did the first season cover? Haven’t had the chance to watch it yet

Season one is basically a mixture of short stories from the two short story books: Last Wish and Sword of Destiny, along with a bunch of back story that is only mentioned in the books sort of off-handedly.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Having now watched the first 4 episodes, I can say the following:

1) The show is generally accurate to the books, and where it deviates is usually a reasonable deviation for the sake of the show / TV medium.

2) The show’s biggest sin so far is that for someone who hasn’t read the books or played the games and has no familiarity with the characters, it’s very hard to follow the meta-plot.

So far the worst example is in episode 4 where Geralt’s story is the wedding of Pavetta and Duny while Ciri’s story is her encountering the druids of Brokilon Forest. But Geralt’s story is taking place literally a decade before Ciri’s (since Ciri obviously isn’t born yet when her mom marries). There’s no good indication to the viewer of this until the very end of the episode.

Or for example Yen goes through her training at Aretuza in the first 3 episodes, and then in episode 4 she casually mentions that she’s been a court mage for 30 years now. I knew that, because I have the chronology from the books, but the new viewer doesn’t get the indication that all these story vignettes are out of order chronologically.

3) All the actors generally seem competent enough for what the show is, which is one step below “prestige TV GOT” and one step above campy. Definitely getting the “monster of the week” vibe a la X files or Supernatural. This is fairly accurate to the first 2 books anyway since they’re a collection of short stories. Henry Cavill does a good job as Geralt, and I love that he’s basically taken Cockle’s voice and made it Geralt’s canonical voice. The carefully timed “gently caress”s are perfect, too. I’m a little annoyed at Triss—she’s supposed to be Chestnut / redheaded—but the actress gets her cheerful personality perfect.

If you liked the show, go read the first 2 books, The Last Wish and The Sword of Destiny. I think you’ll like the book stories slightly better than the show equivalents, and they are more slowly and thoughtfully paced and more coherently arranged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TV Triss does have chestnut hair. You can see it better when it's framed against light.