Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yen is annoying. Triss was tolerable. Shani was the only correct love option in Witcher 3, but she's too good for Geralt.

Shani is something like 80 years younger than Yen, Triss and Geralt yet seems to be more mature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

hobbesmaster posted:

Shani is something like 80 years younger than Yen, Triss and Geralt yet seems to be more mature.

Dealing with the sick and dying all day every day in a grim fantasy world will do that to you

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Whereas Yen and Triss can magic those people back to life whereas Shani can do everything right and her patients will die anyway.

Geralt sees a lot of death he can’t do anything about though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He can go hrm about it

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

zoux posted:

He can go hrm about it

The best of Cavill's line delivery.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Did anyone mention the sick rear end letter Yen writes Geralt when he tries to get back in touch and she's very mean but in a way that's so cool you can't help but be like drat that's a sick burn.

Hmmm... is that dragon egg Saskia?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 25, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well Borch is Saskia's father so it's certainly possible.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

After reading the whole thread, I didn't see anything about something that they didn't make a big deal about but I still noticed. Not sure when it actually happened, so we'll just say second-half-of-the-season-spoiler:

I noticed that Geralt had mounted Renfri's brooch to the guard of his steel sword. Is there more significant meaning to this than always remembering his encounter with her?

ed: Screen of EP 6 where I apparently first noticed it.

Synastren fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 25, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So that's where that came from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g0X2eIoJio

Nice story.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Synastren posted:

After reading the whole thread, I didn't see anything about something that they didn't make a big deal about but I still noticed. Not sure when it actually happened, so we'll just say second-half-of-the-season-spoiler:

I noticed that Geralt had mounted Renfri's brooch to the guard of his steel sword. Is there more significant meaning to this than always remembering his encounter with her?

It's a neat touch, but it looks super goofy.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

It's pretty subtle until you notice it. I did a double take on that scene and had to check an earlier episode to make sure it was the same thing. Early episode, but still spoilered because better safe than sorry? EP1 pic:

I appreciate that the sword in the brooch has been replaced with a real one, but it's clearly the same thing. Black grip on the brooch and real sword is a nice touch.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Arglebargle III posted:

Did anyone mention the sick rear end letter Yen writes Geralt when he tries to get back in touch and she's very mean but in a way that's so cool you can't help but be like drat that's a sick burn.

I mention it as often as I can.

Hell I might add it to the OP when I get home from holidays, it's so good.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yen's baller rear end letter from Blood of Elves:

Dear friend…

The witcher swore quietly, looking at the sharp, angular, even runes drawn with energetic sweeps of the pen, faultlessly reflecting the author’s mood. He felt once again the desire to try to bite his own backside in fury. When he was writing to the sorceress a month ago he had spent two nights in a row contemplating how best to begin. Finally, he had decided on “Dear friend.” Now he had his just desserts.

Dear friend, your unexpected letter – which I received not quite three years after we last saw each other – has given me much joy. My joy is all the greater as various rumours have been circulating about your sudden and violent death. It is a good thing that you have decided to disclaim them by writing to me; it is a good thing, too, that you are doing so so soon. From your letter it appears that you have lived a peaceful, wonderfully boring life, devoid of all sensation. These days such a life is a real privilege, dear friend, and I am happy that you have managed to achieve it.

I was touched by the sudden concern which you deigned to show as to my health, dear friend. I hasten with the news that, yes, I now feel well; the period of indisposition is behind me, I have dealt with the difficulties, the description of which I shall not bore you with. It worries and troubles me very much that the unexpected present you received from Fate brings you worries. Your supposition that this requires professional help is absolutely correct. Although your description of the difficulty – quite understandably – is enigmatic, I am sure I know the Source of the problem. And I agree with your opinion that the help of yet another magician is absolutely necessary. I feel honoured to be the second to whom you turn. What have I done to deserve to be so high on your list?

Rest assured, my dear friend; and if you had the intention of supplicating the help of additional magicians, abandon it because there is no need. I leave without delay, and go to the place which you indicated in an oblique yet, to me, understandable way. It goes without saying that I leave in absolute secrecy and with great caution. I will surmise the nature of the trouble on the spot and will do all that is in my power to calm the gushing source. I shall try, in so doing, not to appear any worse than other ladies to whom you have turned, are turning or usually turn with your supplications. I am, after all, your dear friend. Your valuable friendship is too important to me to disappoint you, dear friend.

Should you, in the next few years, wish to write to me, do not hesitate for a moment. Your letters invariably give me boundless pleasure.

Your friend Yennefer

The letter smelled of lilac and gooseberries.

Geralt cursed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Be interesting to see how they adapt that particular bit.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol geralt, you dork

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ubiquitous_ posted:

The best of Cavill's line delivery.

It really is. His batman voice breaks when Geralt has long lines but the short stuff he just is Geralt.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Doug Cockle can at least hold those longer sentences... Most of the time. His speech to Whoreson Junior in Witcher 3 is one of the few times his monologue doesn't quite land. But I actually prefer Cockle's softer voice from Witcher 2. It makes him a bit more approachable while still being the same grumpy Witcher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyahhlr5n8A

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Just finished this and holy poo poo it's great. Why did they squeeze it into only 8 episodes though? I feel like it could have easily been spread out over a few more.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Chalks posted:

Just finished this and holy poo poo it's great. Why did they squeeze it into only 8 episodes though? I feel like it could have easily been spread out over a few more.

If they're making up original material like Yen's origin story I wouldn't mind an original one shot Witcher adventure in the next season. Just make it one of the back of napkin ideas the author never got around to.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Doug Cockle can at least hold those longer sentences... Most of the time. His speech to Whoreson Junior in Witcher 3 is one of the few times his monologue doesn't quite land. But I actually prefer Cockle's softer voice from Witcher 2. It makes him a bit more approachable while still being the same grumpy Witcher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyahhlr5n8A

Yeah, I thought about that when I first played Witcher 3. "drat, Geralt's voice sure is a lot hoarser in this one." I wonder the story behind it. If it was just general direction or actor interpretation. Reminds me of David Hayter's MGS3 to Peace Walker Naked Snake voice.

Or maybe being Geralt wore down Doug's Cockle's vocal cords like Snake's did for David Hayter.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm only on Episode 3 so far but absolutely loving it - the fight choreography in the finale for episode 1 was just so much fun to watch, and I really enjoyed in episode 3 seeing the intro cutscene from the first Witcher game but live action.

I should really get around to picking up the books sooner than later.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Timeline of the show episode by episode which I guess is technically a spoiler but I sure wish I had it before hand

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Synastren posted:

Not that it matters but that's his silver sword. The steel one has a completely straight cross guard, while the silver one has the angled cross guard.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/Countess_Tifa/status/1209550308637937664?s=20

This almost works personality wise.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Just finished the season. I feel like I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn’t played the games or read the books before, but now I just feel like I’ve watched David Lynch’s Dune after reading all of the books.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

pik_d posted:

Not that it matters but that's his silver sword. The steel one has a completely straight cross guard, while the silver one has the angled cross guard.

I got bad news for you because that's the sword he uses to defend the cave. Also, I'm reasonably confident they differentiated the steel/silver swords by the color of their grips--the steel sword seems to have the black grip, while the silver sword has some sort of white inlay.

ed:
Also:
From the striga episode, just before the big fight:

Synastren fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 26, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really hope they don't keep the "Nilfgaard is a death cult" angle for the next season. A big thing about Nilfgaard is that they are smart and learn from their mistakes. In the books they did slaughter Cintra and burn the city to the ground, but they were halted at Sodden and were faced with a dilemma. Nilfgaard is shown to be a brutal expansionist faction but one that learns, so they switch from kill 'em all invasions to using spies and guerrillas, and this is the Nilfgaard I like. They have power and know how to use it, so they don't always rely on force when subterfuge works better.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Synastren posted:

I got bad news for you because that's the sword he uses to defend the cave. Also, I'm reasonably confident they differentiated the steel/silver swords by the color of their grips--the steel sword seems to have the black grip, while the silver sword has some sort of white inlay.

ed:
Also:
From the striga episode, just before the big fight:

Fair enough that they changed up how the swords are identified, wasn't really looking for that so didn't notice the hilt color difference. I know the show is after the books and not the games, but I'm surprised that the cross guards ended up seemingly reversed. But then again "Ayy-dern".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol I was looking for a version of Toss a Coin to your Witcher on youtube (because it loving goes) and there are multiple videos with 2m+ views and I only account for several thousand of those.

Still can’t believe they broke down his lute and kicked in his teeth 😔

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Synastren posted:

I appreciate that the sword in the brooch has been replaced with a real one, but it's clearly the same thing. Black grip on the brooch and real sword is a nice touch.

That's pretty cool. Nice catch.

zoux posted:

Still can’t believe they broke down his lute and kicked in his teeth 😔

He got better :haw:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean getting kicked in the teeth is probably the least bad thing that Jaskier has brought upon himself. I wonder if they'll keep the Rience scene next season.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Arglebargle III posted:

Yes, the games mention in the codex that she was the egg in the dragon hunt from the short story.

Honestly the only thing I didn't really like in the series was how Nilfgard was handled it doesn't really square with its depiction elsewhere in the books or games.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 26, 2019

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

It's going to suck not having Charles Dance as Emhyr. That dude can play authority like few other people I've ever seen. I'm assuming you're not going to use Duny's actor so who's on deck?

Also I can see Hammil as Vesimir.

Mr. Merdle fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 26, 2019

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I like this show.

I also like the games, but I'm not a huge fan of genre fiction; the codex in the last two Witcher games over the years have been enough. I don't feel someone who has no Witcher experience will be able to appreciate this show; might get people interested though...

I feel the flashbacks were badly edited tho; you just kind of drop into Ciri's story in the present...or Yen's story in the far past....or Geralt in the...near...past?

Like at least try to copy some techniques Nolan and Iñárritu have done with non-linear storytelling?
Or just show what year it is in a post-production subtitle!

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

MoaM posted:

I like this show.

I also like the games, but I'm not a huge fan of genre fiction; the codex in the last two Witcher games over the years have been enough. I don't feel someone who has no Witcher experience will be able to appreciate this show; might get people interested though...

I feel the flashbacks were badly edited tho; you just kind of drop into Ciri's story in the present...or Yen's story in the far past....or Geralt in the...near...past?

Like at least try to copy some techniques Nolan and Iñárritu have done with non-linear storytelling?
Or just show what year it is in a post-production subtitle!

I think the non-linear story telling is intended as a twist that’s revealed in episode four. That episode even ends with a cool shot of Cintra doing fine to burning down so even the slowest of audience members can see it spelled out. It’s actually Nolan’s non-linear technique used in Dunkirk.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's me, the guy who didn't get what Dunkirk was going for until it was half over.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

ghostwritingduck posted:

I think the non-linear story telling is intended as a twist that’s revealed in episode four.

e: It's more like a cool segue, than anything structural (as Nolan did with the land-sea-air bit in Dunkirk)...but yes that was a good moment.

There should just be more of them is my point.

MoaM fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 26, 2019

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Signposting the timeline at the beginning of each episode would have done wonders for this show. Even something like "30 years ago" or "Present day" would have worked.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

stev posted:

It's me, the guy who didn't get what Dunkirk was going for until it was half over.

Pulp Fiction did it better anyway.

I like how the non-linearity made Geralt feel ageless, as if he's always been drifting around. It was a good choice.

It didn't work as well with Yen, but that's entirely because magic school sucked. I was really hoping she would burn it all to the ground on her return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ha, that Yen letter sounds like it was written by a grumpy 16 year old. If that's being held up as some of the better bits of writing in the series then I don't think I'm gonna bother reading them.