Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Booyah- posted:

It's pretty clear from the video that his hand is molded into the right wing of the helmet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NOsX8hibKE&t=62s

You and I have very different definitions of "very clear" because I can't see compelling evidence of that at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Ultra Carp

Stephenls posted:

Okay hold on.

He’s a multi-option kit. You can build him with one unhelmeted head or another unhelmeted head, and you can build him with either a helmet under his arm or a bolt rifle. But, unless they’re doing something really unusual with the way that helmet and arm are parted out, you can’t build him wearing the helmet?

...why?

(Where’s that image from, anyway?)

Probably to prevent the comedy option of having the model be wearing a helmet while carrying an identical helmet, the cowards.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Strobe posted:

You and I have very different definitions of "very clear" because I can't see compelling evidence of that at all.

If you look at how his fingers lay on the helmet as it rotates around at 1:01, they seem melded together in a way that's familiar for this type of assembly. The connection between the fingers and the helmet is blacklined paint over a smooth surface.

Look at his thumb in this still

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The bolter and helmet arms are different.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
If we enhance the image we can see definitive proof of Sasquatch

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

If we enhance the image we can see definitive proof of Sasquatch

Squats return to the main game confirmed for 2020.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
I'd suggest it would only be a matter of carefully cutting the hand away from the helmet and a little greenstuff sculpting and you could have him wearing the helmet, but I don't want the feds to come down on the forum and have it closed down.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Probably to prevent the comedy option of having the model be wearing a helmet while carrying an identical helmet, the cowards.

I was honestly hoping for this.

I'm devastated.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Two Beans posted:

I'd suggest it would only be a matter of carefully cutting the hand away from the helmet and a little greenstuff sculpting and you could have him wearing the helmet, but I don't want the feds to come down on the forum and have it closed down.

I bet you're one of those criminal sickos who takes the tag off his mattress, despite explicit warnings against it

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Best loadout for Sicarious right there. Makes up for all the other officers not wearing their helmets. Cap'n OSHA.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Stephenls posted:

Okay hold on.

He’s a multi-option kit. You can build him with one unhelmeted head or another unhelmeted head, and you can build him with either a helmet under his arm or a bolt rifle. But, unless they’re doing something really unusual with the way that helmet and arm are parted out, you can’t build him wearing the helmet?

...why?

(Where’s that image from, anyway?)

The Warhammer community guys commented there will be a helmeted option.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hi thread, I am coming back to 40k after a considerable break, hoping you will be willing to help me with some simple questions.

Background: I stopped playing 40k right before 6th edition came out; mostly because I had just had our first kid and I no longer had the time to get to the game store or keep up painting/modeling. Also, kids are expensive! So I haven't played in I guess 8 years (oof).

Well, for a couple years I have been letting my kids play with my miniatures for whatever they feel like because they might as well get some use. My oldest found my box of books earlier this year and has now realized that there is an actual game with a ruleset behind all these things, other than just lining them up and making 'pew' noises. So after some nagging I conceded to setting up an actual game with them, and we went through a couple beginner games. I kind of expected them to burn out on the complexity, but they have stayed with it and now want to play every couple weeks. So here I am thinking about the hobby again.

With that in mind, my questions really boil down to the following - is it worth getting updated rulebooks and army books for the 8th edition? We have been playing with my old stuff, which is the 5th edition rulebook, a collection of Orks built around Assault on Black Reach boxes and some rescues, and my venerable Eldar that I started with in the 90s. Obviously I'm playing with my kid so it's about as relaxed a play style as you can get, and we just muddle through anywhere that the rules get confusing or there are disagreements, so I am not concerned with a tight or competitive ruleset as much as one that might be more streamlined/balanced/quicker and more fun to play. Right now we break up a game over several days. And whether it will be a difficult transition for my decaying brain and for my kid to change gears from the old edition.

My kid also enjoys the more goofy/uncontrolled elements of 5e orks, like the Shokk Attack gun and the Ramshackle trukks. I realize those are not really good game elements, but again, they're only 8 and it's not like we're playing competitively. Not sure if any of that stuff has stayed in.

Assuming the new edition is a better version to play with my kids, what's the best way to ease into it? I realize I could just buy the big rulebook and army books from the website, but I wasn't sure if there was any other option; has GW set up any sort of army builders or something similar to War Room that would make it possible to test it out? They don't seem to show unit profiles on the website anymore, either.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Ashcans posted:

Hi thread, I am coming back to 40k after a considerable break, hoping you will be willing to help me with some simple questions.

Background: I stopped playing 40k right before 6th edition came out; mostly because I had just had our first kid and I no longer had the time to get to the game store or keep up painting/modeling. Also, kids are expensive! So I haven't played in I guess 8 years (oof).

Well, for a couple years I have been letting my kids play with my miniatures for whatever they feel like because they might as well get some use. My oldest found my box of books earlier this year and has now realized that there is an actual game with a ruleset behind all these things, other than just lining them up and making 'pew' noises. So after some nagging I conceded to setting up an actual game with them, and we went through a couple beginner games. I kind of expected them to burn out on the complexity, but they have stayed with it and now want to play every couple weeks. So here I am thinking about the hobby again.

With that in mind, my questions really boil down to the following - is it worth getting updated rulebooks and army books for the 8th edition? We have been playing with my old stuff, which is the 5th edition rulebook, a collection of Orks built around Assault on Black Reach boxes and some rescues, and my venerable Eldar that I started with in the 90s. Obviously I'm playing with my kid so it's about as relaxed a play style as you can get, and we just muddle through anywhere that the rules get confusing or there are disagreements, so I am not concerned with a tight or competitive ruleset as much as one that might be more streamlined/balanced/quicker and more fun to play. Right now we break up a game over several days. And whether it will be a difficult transition for my decaying brain and for my kid to change gears from the old edition.

My kid also enjoys the more goofy/uncontrolled elements of 5e orks, like the Shokk Attack gun and the Ramshackle trukks. I realize those are not really good game elements, but again, they're only 8 and it's not like we're playing competitively. Not sure if any of that stuff has stayed in.

Assuming the new edition is a better version to play with my kids, what's the best way to ease into it? I realize I could just buy the big rulebook and army books from the website, but I wasn't sure if there was any other option; has GW set up any sort of army builders or something similar to War Room that would make it possible to test it out? They don't seem to show unit profiles on the website anymore, either.

Know No Fear is a fantastic starter set that includes beginner rules and missions. It’s also super cheap and is a nice intro to the new model ranges (Primaris Space Marines and Death Guard).

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010
So I've got a question if you don't mind. Does anyone know of a good cost effective substitute for the leadbelcher spray? I know there are some paint comparison charts floating around there but I figured most of those are for the non spray paints and that I would come straight to the paint gods with my question.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Ashcans posted:

Unless you want to get rules for new models, I’d say keep playing with the rules you have as long as they’re fun.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Rules out of the box for Know No Fear or any of the Index armies is probably going to be easiest if they ever find out there's a newer version and want to graduate, but full-on current 8th edition is probably way more difficult in terms of remembering what's supposed to be happening at any given moment.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Bob Wins posted:

So I've got a question if you don't mind. Does anyone know of a good cost effective substitute for the leadbelcher spray? I know there are some paint comparison charts floating around there but I figured most of those are for the non spray paints and that I would come straight to the paint gods with my question.

I bought a can of aluminum metalic krylon from home depot and sprayed my thermoplasma conduits because I didn't want to spend $20 for GW spray and I didn't want to use a whole loving bottle of leadbelcher to brush paint them. It was CRAZY bright and hydrophobic as gently caress, but then I read a great tip to spray with a matte finish like Dullcote and then paint. So I did. And it worked fantastic. Basically I went Krylon aluminum, dullcote, nuln oil, painted details, agrax, drybrush necron compound, painted plasma bits. Judge for yourself.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Bucnasti posted:

Unless you want to get rules for new models, I’d say keep playing with the rules you have as long as they’re fun.

Ah yes, 5th. The decade old rules everyone’s still playing!

Edit: I’m being glib but for serious, 5th is a crap rules set. 8th’s streamlining makes it far easier for a kid to understand and if they eventually wanna take up the hobby proper they’ll be far better prepared.

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 26, 2019

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

X-posting from the miniature painting thread, since this is the 40K thread, after all:

inscrutable horse posted:

Does anyone have a good picture of this guy from the back? Particularly with a good view of his sword-arm's shoulder? I got one of these fellas for Christmas, and now that I'm cleaning him up, I don't know what's flash, and what's supposed to be there.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Say what you will about pre-8th edition but there's no denying that 7th edition had a cool as gently caress and superior psychic phase

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Lol 7th edition's psychic phase sucked rear end unless you were running an army that was all-in

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Literally the only person I've ever met who legit misses 7th's Psychic mechanics is a chode who abused the poo poo out of Invisibility and would ""luckily""" manage to draw it out of his psychic deck 99% of games.

Also lmao random powers/traits.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Attention Goons going to Adepticon and/or Chicagoland Goons!!

Me, my brother, and a friend are doing the Adepticon Team Tournament. Unfortunately, our fourth player has had to bail on us, and attempts to find a replacement in our local gaming circles have failed. Is there a goon interested in joining our team for Adepticon?

Details:
The Team Tournament is a four player event held during Adepticon. The con itself runs from Wednesday, March 25 through Sunday the 29th at the Renaissance Schaumburg Convention Center Hotel. The Team Tournament takes place Saturday and Sunday.

The way this works is that each of the four of us will bring 1000 points worth of army using the special detachment rules you can find in the last link I posted above. Then our team will compete in two 2v2 games against an opposing team. Who you're teamed up with changes from round to round. Since there are five rounds, you'll be paired with each of your teammates at least once.

Logistically, we'll need to set up our armies for display Friday night, then play three rounds on Saturday, and two on Sunday, starting stupid early on both days, and ending at night on Saturday, and in the early afternoon on Sunday.

We've already purchased the event ticket, so we're good on that score, though you'll still need to acquire an Adepticon player badge for yourself ($40).

Army Comp:
At the moment we're leaning towards Iron Hands. This is because they're easy to play, easy to paint, pretty drat strong, and each of the three of us already owns Marines we can re-purpose to the cause. But with Iron Hands you really want the Chapter Doctrine and we like the default Chapter Tactics. Since each 2000 points we form will count as a single army for comp purposes, if any of the four of us doesn't take Iron Hands, his partner will lose their Doctrines, and that's a big reason, probably THE reason, to play Iron Hands in the first place. To that end, we're even willing to lend our fourth player an Iron Hand army if you don't have one and don't want to build one of your own.

But since there's three months to go between now and the con, we're also willing to be flexible. Each of us also owns non Space Marine armies, so we can consider other combinations, if need be. Indeed, my "fill the board with Russ (and we don't mean the Primarch) Guard" list might actually be more effective than the Iron Hands list I've come up with, given the limitations the custom detachments are going to place on our opposition. :commissar:

So if you've got an army you have to play, we may be able to accommodate you.

Hopes and Dreams:
In a perfect world, we'd like to find someone willing to join the team out here in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago who's got an Iron Hands army and loves to play them, and has the time to not only play during the Con itself but can play in a few practice games with us between now and then, particularly a Team Tournament Primer event on Saturday, March 7th.

But of course, in the grim darkness of the far future, there is only whatever you can get. Beggars and choosers, and all that. So we're willing to compromise on pretty much all of the above points if we have to. Are you a Tau player from Germany who'll be attending Adepticon but doesn't have anything lined up for Saturday and Sunday? Maybe we can come up with something.

Drop me a PM or email me at jng2058 at yahoo dot com if you haven't got PMs and we'll talk.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

JackMann posted:

Working on my Iron Hands grav captain. I'm pretty happy with how his cape is coming out.

The cape looks really nice, dude. Good job

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Ashcans posted:

I would absolutely start with the 8th Ed basic rules and indexes for the armies. Easy, balanced, and fun!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

TheBigAristotle posted:

I bet you're one of those criminal sickos who takes the tag off his mattress, despite explicit warnings against it
The tag says right on it that it's OK to be removed by "the consumer," so as long as you eat the tag you won't go to jail. :colbert:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

adamantium|wang posted:

Duncan's leaving.

:smith:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Duncan was cool but honestly the saddest departure from Games Workshop was John Blanche

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

I'm basically done with painting my grav captain. However, I'm not sure just how I want to paint the power sword. I'm thinking I might go with purple painted kinda like this, but I've got a few days before I start on it.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
So hypothetically if you wanted an army with the most Gatling cannons who is the champ?

Imperial guard seem like the obvious choice because they get a lot of tanks with punisher cannons.

However chaos marines and knights also seems good because they also get Gatling cannons.

Truly we are blessed with an embarrassment of riches this holiday season

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Bob Wins posted:

Vallejo Gunmetal rattlecans are a near perfect match and ten bucks at like Walmart.com.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

So hypothetically if you wanted an army with the most Gatling cannons who is the champ?

Imperial guard seem like the obvious choice because they get a lot of tanks with punisher cannons.

However chaos marines and knights also seems good because they also get Gatling cannons.

Truly we are blessed with an embarrassment of riches this holiday season

Tau have burst cannons /everywhere/.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

raverrn posted:

Tau have burst cannons /everywhere/.

It's entirely possible to run an entire army with nothing but Burst Cannons in 8th. Two Commanders, three squads each of Crisis Suits and Crisis Bodyguards in two Vanguard detachments, and as many guns as will fit on as many suits as will fit into 2k points.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Pros: lots of fucken shots and within the standard range of toughness values your lowest wound roll is 3+ and your highest is 5+ and you're gonna mulch them infantry

Cons: lmfao if you're fighting anything that isn't infantry or has an actual armor save

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The other Con at that point is that you either hit on 2+ with a few shots or 4+ with a lot of fuckin' shots and there's no way to modify that, ever.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Ashcans posted:

GW recently released a new version of the 8th rulebook. In doing so they took everyone by surprise by not presenting an annotated and updated ruleset based on two years worth of changes. Which is a thing they had just done for Age of Sigmar.
:shrug:

8th overall represents a fresh start in the rules. It incorporates some elements not seen since 2nd, without sacrificing the (relatively) expedited game play brought about by 3rd/4th edition simplifications. It also eliminated templates, which remains controversial (in the minds of those who loved templates).

Please mind that the rules bloat, especially in terms of how many separate paper rules books you might theoretically need for a single game, is breathtaking. To the point that many are calling for a new edition (or an 8.5 edition) to shrink the rule set. But as annoying as that is, there's not much of a reason to play retro games unless you can manage to find a full set of 2nd edition wargear cards or something.

In short, get in on 8th. It's well done for a GW product. The codexes are likely to carry over to the next edition anyway.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Ultra Carp
Gatling cannons, you say? how about this:

quote:

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [37 PL, 629pts] ++

Regimental Doctrine: Regiment: Cadian

+ HQ +

Knight Commander Pask [13 PL, 233pts]: Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolters, Heavy Stubber, Turret-mounted Punisher Gatling Cannon

Tank Commander [12 PL, 198pts]: Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolters, Heavy Stubber, Turret-mounted Punisher Gatling Cannon

Tank Commander [12 PL, 198pts]: Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolters, Heavy Stubber, Turret-mounted Punisher Gatling Cannon

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [52 PL, 1CP, 816pts] ++

Regimental Doctrine: Regiment: Vostroyan

+ HQ +

+ Heavy Support +

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [20 PL, 326pts]
. Leman Russ Punisher: Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolters, Heavy Stubber, Turret-mounted Punisher Gatling Cannon
. Leman Russ Punisher: Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolters, Heavy Stubber, Turret-mounted Punisher Gatling Cannon

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [10 PL, 147pts]
. Leman Russ Punisher: Heavy Bolter, Heavy Stubber, Turret-mounted Punisher Gatling Cannon

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [10 PL, 145pts]
. Leman Russ Punisher: Heavy Bolter, Turret-mounted Punisher Gatling Cannon

++ Air Wing Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [33 PL, 4CP, 555pts] ++

+ Flyer +

Vulture Gunship [11 PL, 185pts]
. Vulture Gunship: Heavy bolter, Twin Punisher Gatling Cannons

++ Total: [122 PL, 6CP, 2,000pts] ++

Pros: can potentially roll over five hundred dice per turn

Cons: can't think of any

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Gatling cannons, you say? how about this:

Pros: can potentially roll over five hundred dice per turn

Cons: can't think of any

What foolishness. Only 14 gatling guns? Pitiful.

quote:

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [58 PL, 598pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander in XV8 Crisis Battlesuit [7 PL, 104pts]: 4x Burst cannon

+ Elites +

XV8 Crisis Bodyguards [13 PL, 153pts]
. Crisis Bodyguard: 3x Burst cannon

XV8 Crisis Bodyguards [13 PL, 153pts]

XV8 Crisis Bodyguards [25 PL, 188pts]
. Crisis Bodyguard: Burst cannon

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [115 PL, 1,400pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander in XV8 Crisis Battlesuit [7 PL, 104pts]: 4x Burst cannon

+ Elites +

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [36 PL, 432pts]
. Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Burst cannon
. Crisis Shas'vre: 3x Burst cannon

++ Total: [173 PL, 1,998pts] ++

One hundred seventeen Burst Cannons, putting out over 450 shots per turn, and doing so at full speed (plus Advancing if you're Vior'la).

Cons: jesus christ all the money it would take to buy those

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So I haven't seen Tau rules since 4th edition. Can suits just fire three hardpoints worth of weapons without a multitracker now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So I haven't seen Tau rules since 4th edition. Can suits just fire three hardpoints worth of weapons without a multitracker now?

Yes, they get all of the same rules as every other model in the game in that regard. Multitracker was brokenly good at the start of 8th edition because it was a 2 point upgrade that let you reroll 1s to hit as long as you fired all your weapons at one target. It was basically a must-take on suits with multiple Fusion Blasters or Cyclic Ion blasters because you could just ignore Markerlights and still get good shooting.

Then in the first round of FAQs, Multitrackers both jumped up to 10 points (:smith: but probably fair thanks to Commanders) but then also got text added so that it only worked if you fired all guns at the same target and there were at least 5 models in the unit (:wtc:) and now they're never used ever.