Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
The secure Gateway comes from the same ecosystem as the Aps, which are all part of a Software Defined Networking/Cloud concept, the Edgerouters are more "classic" networking devices.
If you want a nice User Experience, go for a homogenous Unifi setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SEKCobra posted:

The secure Gateway comes from the same ecosystem as the Aps, which are all part of a Software Defined Networking/Cloud concept, the Edgerouters are more "classic" networking devices.
If you want a nice User Experience, go for a homogenous Unifi setup.

Keep in mind that if edgerouter firmware updates are nowadays rare(and buggy), USG firmware updates are even worse(both in schedule and in quality). I wouldn't suggest a USG today to anybody, if you want a unifi router go for the UDM/UDM Pro.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I am looking at network equipment upgrades to put on my Xmas/wedding wishlists, and I feel like just a giant dingus trying to figure things out. Right now I have a cheap, OK wireless router doing all the duties for my home network. I'd like to upgrade to something a bit better in terms of dashboard tools and modularity, since right now my router has to sit in a non-ideal corner of the house due to how wiring has been set up. So I've been looking at Ubiquiti gear.

I feel like I kind of understand their product ranges, but I'm not sure what a person needs to buy to really get started. If I bought an EdgeRouter PoE and ran an Ethernet cable up to a Unifi AP in the middle of the house, would this be a complete system? The part that confuses me is that Ubiquiti also sells products like "Unifi Security Gateway" and I'm not sure if I need to be buying all kinds of stuff like that to get needed features. :psyduck:

It’s sold out but I think the new Dream Machine looks like a really good solution for most home users who want to step up to something more capable than a netgear or tp-link but don’t want to get their CCNA. It’s only $100 more than a CloudKey and you get a cloudkey, a security gateway, a managed 4 port PoE switch, and an 802.11ac 4x4 access point. Buy a 2nd AP and run one CAT-6 cable to the other end of the house and you’re all set.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 24, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Lawen posted:

It’s sold out but I think the new Dream Machine looks like a really good solution for most home users who want to step up to something more capable than a netgear or tp-link but don’t want to get their CCNA. It’s only $100 more than a CloudKey and you get a cloudkey, a security gateway, a managed 4 port PoE switch, and an 802.11ac 4x4 access point. Buy a 2nd AP and run one CAT-6 cable to the other end of the house and you’re all set.

It doesn't have PoE.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The lack of PoE is unfortunate, but it's not a dealbreaker for my use case. Thanks everyone.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

astral posted:

It doesn't have PoE.

You could just use a short patch cable to a PoE injector, then long run from injector to PoE.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Stupid question, but this is my router - I think it gets the job done, but it's pretty old at this point, do I have anything to gain by upgrading to something newer?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Oxyclean posted:

Stupid question, but this is my router - I think it gets the job done, but it's pretty old at this point, do I have anything to gain by upgrading to something newer?

Kind of depends on what your internet connection is. If you have a fast connection, yes, you should get something newer, which can route / switch faster, and wireless ac is better, otherwise no? Be sure it has up to date firmware.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Very much so: that router hasn't received a proper firmware update in six eleven years).

It's vulnerable to some Really Bad Stuff, including remote command execution. You should replace it immediately, if not sooner.

e: the release date for that firmware version was five years earlier on the US site + in the release notes; corrected

astral fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 24, 2019

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

astral posted:

Very much so: that router hasn't received a proper firmware update in six eleven years).

It's vulnerable to some Really Bad Stuff, including remote command execution. You should replace it immediately, if not sooner.

e: the release date for that firmware version was five years earlier on the US site + in the release notes; corrected

:stare:

Good to know. I assume the TP-Link Archers mentioned in the OP would be good recommendations? (As the thread title suggests)

e: Is this one fine? (I live in Canada for price concerns)

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 24, 2019

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I had that one and it was serviceable. Had some issues with the 5Ghz eventually but it seemed fine.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

I had that one and it was serviceable. Had some issues with the 5Ghz eventually but it seemed fine.

Is there anything else to look for / consider? The C5 seems to be the same price or more in most places I check.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think (but may be mistaken) that the A7 is the newer model. I just went straight to Unifi and called it a day so haven’t really scooped out consumer stuff in a while.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I've got some remodeling going on so I'm in a good position to do some ethernet runs in my house. This has given me the itch to upgrade my home networking setup. I just got a Unifi Wireless AC Pro for Christmas so I'm leaning towards building out everything with Unifi. Currently I've got two Asus OnHub's running meshed, which is...ok but wireless performance is really neutered by losing access to my 5ghz band so that the routers can mesh. I don't think keeping one for router duty is going to be what I want either. I've had no real issues with wifi interference in my home, I really don't even need the 2nd OnHub, but it seems to help a bit in the back of the house. I currently have ATT 300mbps fiber service, though I am considering the upgrade to full gigabit service.

My thinking is:

* Put the AC Pro up in the middle of the ceiling on the 2nd floor. I reckon this would yield enough wifi coverage likely for the entire home, or at least the main living spaces where wireless speed matters.
* Pick up a Unifi USG to deal with routing.
* I have a FreeNAS box running 24/7 so I was going to install the controller software in a jail so I don't have a need for a raspberry pi or cloud key.

My big question is around powering the AC pro + future PoE devices. Is it worth it to pick up a PoE unifi switch for powering my AC Pro + maybe an in wall AP or 2nd Wireless AP in the future? I'm not really sure what my options are beyond using a PoE switch, but I'm assuming there could be some advantage to using the Unifi PoE switch when it comes to integrating everything/being all in the same ecosystem.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Honestly at this point probably don’t do the USG but maybe the Dream Machine / Dream Machine Pro depending on how you want to go and budget.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

withoutclass posted:

My big question is around powering the AC pro + future PoE devices. Is it worth it to pick up a PoE unifi switch for powering my AC Pro + maybe an in wall AP or 2nd Wireless AP in the future? I'm not really sure what my options are beyond using a PoE switch, but I'm assuming there could be some advantage to using the Unifi PoE switch when it comes to integrating everything/being all in the same ecosystem.

PoE injectors are fine to use instead of a PoE switch if you have only a few devices you need to power, but they take up more room and you need enough outlets to handle them.

The biggest advantage you get from having a UniFi switch is that you can manage it in the same UniFi dashboard as your APs. If you like to keep everything managed in a central location then it's great, but if you don't mind keeping things separate then don't feel as though you have to fully embrace the UniFi lifestyle.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

KKKLIP ART posted:

Honestly at this point probably don’t do the USG but maybe the Dream Machine / Dream Machine Pro depending on how you want to go and budget.

So I saw this device mentioned earlier in the thread, and I get the appeal of the all-in-one package, but are there advantages beyond that? I did notice the dream machine doesn't provide PoE so I'd still need to figure out the injector stuff.

I'm assuming the wireless from the dream machine wouldn't interfere the AC Pro?

Actuarial Fables posted:

PoE injectors are fine to use instead of a PoE switch if you have only a few devices you need to power, but they take up more room and you need enough outlets to handle them.

The biggest advantage you get from having a UniFi switch is that you can manage it in the same UniFi dashboard as your APs. If you like to keep everything managed in a central location then it's great, but if you don't mind keeping things separate then don't feel as though you have to fully embrace the UniFi lifestyle.

Can I place a PoE injector far away from the device? I won't have an outlet near where I'm planning my first AP location or the potential in-wall AP.

If I'm looking at at least two PoE devices, I'm assuming I'll need an injector and outlet plug for each?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

withoutclass posted:

Can I place a PoE injector far away from the device? I won't have an outlet near where I'm planning my first AP location or the potential in-wall AP.

this is basically the idea behind PoE, yeah. if you're worried, just read up on the PoE standard and the particular injector products that you are considering

astral
Apr 26, 2004

withoutclass posted:

So I saw this device mentioned earlier in the thread, and I get the appeal of the all-in-one package, but are there advantages beyond that?

It has a much faster processor in it than the (older) USGs.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

withoutclass posted:

If I'm looking at at least two PoE devices, I'm assuming I'll need an injector and outlet plug for each?

Yes, toss injector near your switch, PoE can push your Ethernet spec length run.

Correct, one injector per device. One outlet per injector.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Awesome, thanks for the help y'all!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The other option is to use a switch that pushes PoE on its own and doesn't need to use injectors, but that only likely makes sense if either you are an extreme stickler for clean cabling, or have a lot of PoE devices.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
For small PoE switches (5 port with 4 of those PoE, 60W total) is it pretty much commodity at this point or is there a particular unit to look for (e.g if Microtik has one that would be generally preferably to Dlink or whatever, but probably not more than +:10bux: preferable, if that).

Management isn’t needed.

E: VVV cool. VVV

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 26, 2019

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Commodity.. Just grab whatever is cheapest off Amazon, etc...

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

IOwnCalculus posted:

The other option is to use a switch that pushes PoE on its own and doesn't need to use injectors, but that only likely makes sense if either you are an extreme stickler for clean cabling, or have a lot of PoE devices.

My concern around the Dream Machine is that it's meant to sit out. So it could be pretty ugly having all the wiring and cables sitting out. OTOH I guess I could run one cable to the basement, set up a switch down there out of sight, and do the injectors down there as well.

My thought was to just centralize and hide all the gear in the basement without the need for any units really sitting out.

One other question I had is if the extra CPU added to the dream machine was really to support the fact that it's doing routing, controller software, and wireless AP duties all at once. Would the CPU upgrade there be worth the extra money? I feel like it definitely would be if I was planning on getting a USG, Cloud Key, and Switch, but I won't need a cloud key and I'm not convinced I'll need the wireless either. If it was coming with wifi 6 at the same price point it would be a much stronger choice I think.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So I'm getting AT&T Gigabit/Fiber whatever, and see that I can buy the best/same model of modem/router (AT&T Arris BGW210-700) elsewhere for about $65. Considering the equipment lease is $10/mo I'm gonna jump on it to save bux, since I have a 18-month lease on the apartment. AT&T Fiber is super locked down with what modems you can use apparently.

Anyone have issues with AT&T Fiber? I believe they authenticate the MAC Address of the modem on their end so I gotta call them up to authenticate that MAC Address I guess.

Someone else said that if you spoof the MAC address of your router to match that of the modem/router they give you, you can just plug in the router directly to the ONT or whatever without a problem.

I don't know what to do! I just don't want to give them $120/year for a lovely modem/router that I won't even use as an AP.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Don’t spend your money on that router. It won’t work. It’s equipment someone didn’t return and probably can’t be activated again. Unless something has changed you have to rent the modem they give you. It uses 802.1x authentication

The service is solid but your stuck with using their gateway. Ask customer service if there’s a promo to waive the fee.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

jokes posted:

So I'm getting AT&T Gigabit/Fiber whatever, and see that I can buy the best/same model of modem/router (AT&T Arris BGW210-700) elsewhere for about $65.

Someone else said that if you spoof the MAC address of your router to match that of the modem/router they give you, you can just plug in the router directly to the ONT or whatever without a problem.

As mentioned above, I'm not aware of any legitimate way you can buy an AT&T gateway outright. If you keep the gateway after you discontinue service then they will certainly charge you for it but they almost certainly blacklist it in their system so it can't be used again. The fee they charge you for not returning it isn't a sale, it's a penalty.

jokes posted:

Nope. AT&T uses 802.1x between the ONT and gateway to verify that you're using an approved device. There are ways you can sort of do what you're talking about with Ubiquiti routers (google eap_proxy) but even in that case you still need to have their gateway up and connected or else your connection will die when the periodic authentication fails.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 27, 2019

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Also chiming in to say that don’t waste money on that equipment because AT&T has “approved modems” but the only way to get them is through the company and there is no bring your own option even if you find one online.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That is very disheartening to hear, and really loving shady but I guess :capitalism:

Maybe I can schmooze the tech and get them to do something.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

jokes posted:

Maybe I can schmooze the tech and get them to do something.

If you're talking about buying someone else's modem still, incredibly unlikely. Techs have to call into a special support desk when swapping devices in my experience so it's likely they literally don't have access to do anything about it.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
The gateway they give you is fine. You can enable pass-through and disable the wireless. Then just stick all your gear behind it. It sucks you gotta rent it but it's still cheaper and better in every way than Comcast.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I canceled my AT&T DSL over a year ago because it was poo poo. I had a package with it and DirecTV.

When I canceled, they were going to send me boxes to ship the Directv equipment back, but told me I had to take the AT&T modem to a UPS store. The nearest UPS store to me is an hour or so away and I told them I wouldn't do that, to send me boxes for the AT&T modem or have one of their techs pick it up. Eventually when she realized I was not driving the modem an hour away she relented and said AT&T would send a box to send back the modem.

They never sent a box, have never charged me for the modem, and the modem still sits on my desk to this day.

That's my AT&T modem story.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

withoutclass posted:

The gateway they give you is fine. You can enable pass-through and disable the wireless. Then just stick all your gear behind it. It sucks you gotta rent it but it's still cheaper and better in every way than Comcast.

This won't be true if AT&T gives you a 5268AC. My last experience trying to get a BGW through them was futile and you'll most likely be getting the 5268. Passthrough on the 5268 cripples your speeds so the only option is to to eap_proxy with Ubiquiti gear or keep using the lovely 5268.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

TheWevel posted:

This won't be true if AT&T gives you a 5268AC. My last experience trying to get a BGW through them was futile and you'll most likely be getting the 5268. Passthrough on the 5268 cripples your speeds so the only option is to to eap_proxy with Ubiquiti gear or keep using the lovely 5268.

Ah I didn't realize they handed out different gateways. I have an Arris BGW210 that I got from them maybe 3 months ago, maybe I just got lucky.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I use a DD-WRT on WNDR4300 and have used this for eons now at this point. Works great as an AP/DHCP configuration.

I recently "switched" services (changed account to my name and started over) and got the modem (Aris SB6183) re-activated with Comcast.

For all intents and purposes, it should be literally the same setup as I was using earlier in the week.

However for some reason now, I can only get an internet signal if I connect directly to the modem instead of through the router.

I of course, leave the router off, power cycle the modem, then connect the router to the modem so comcast doesn't get confused with the MAC addresses of the devices or whatever is going on with that. However, none of that now works and I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out just what I'm missing. Any tips?

EDIT: I solved it by rebooting the modem, leaving everything disconnected, then connecting only the router itself with no other ethernet connected.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 28, 2019

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
I'm looking for a router with gigabit lan that's as reliable/long-lasting as possible. Would this be a good choice? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS84IIF/

Its Chocolate fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 28, 2019

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That's a reply link

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

That's a reply link