Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Voyager I posted:

The worrisome part is that MWO felt the same way for the first year or so before they let Paul off his leash and started repeatedly making the game worse.

Hopefully MW5 follows a different path, but PGI remains a difficult company to trust.

At least we will have mods this time. So any stupid balancing decisions should be fixable. I imagine one of the first mods will be a quick and dirty hardpoint mod that makes all weapons small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Dramicus posted:

At least we will have mods this time. So any stupid balancing decisions should be fixable. I imagine one of the first mods will be a quick and dirty hardpoint mod that makes all weapons small.

Not sure what that would accomplish. You mean add more hardpoints per mech? Right now, a machine gun occupies the same space as a gauss rifle.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Ambaire posted:

Not sure what that would accomplish. You mean add more hardpoints per mech? Right now, a machine gun occupies the same space as a gauss rifle.

Yeah, but it would let you mount gauss in the torso of a warhammer, for example.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

sebmojo posted:

They have been making mostly decent decisions on mwo for a while now, and that's how mw5 feels imo. Its mostly decent now and has potential to be really good with mods.

As long as we don't count the solaris multiple ques on a game that may of already had too many of them or the faction play story mode where it started with house steiner vs house nobody and no idea how to add clanners to that as mercenaries or balance the ques until way later like it was some sort of after thought.

Then sure.

I hate things that are really good with mods since it just shows the game is not good without them and that is the developers fault.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Dramicus posted:

Yeah, but it would let you mount gauss in the torso of a warhammer, for example.

Hm. Took a look at the mech and I see what you mean. I guess Omni hardpoints are a Clan thing, right? A lot of these mechs could really benefit from some. Mektek introduced the concept of direct fire hardpoints... were those also Clan?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Ambaire posted:

Hm. Took a look at the mech and I see what you mean. I guess Omni hardpoints are a Clan thing, right? A lot of these mechs could really benefit from some. Mektek introduced the concept of direct fire hardpoints... were those also Clan?

I'm guessing you never played MWO. In that, there are only 3 types of hardpoint, energy/missile/ballistic. So if you have a ballistic hardpoint, you can fit any type of ballistic weapon so long as you have free weight and crit space. There were some limitations because of this, for example you couldn't fit double ac/20 in side torsos with an xl engine, but you could use a small standard engine to make it fit. Anyway, if you made all weapons "small" in mw5, it would be very close to the MWO system.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 25, 2019

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

After getting an AMS I had to figure out what can mount them.

There are like 6 variants that can out of the 200 or so variants.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Where is the Mechwarrior 5 thread?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
You're in it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mods please change thread title to Mechwarrior 5: Fulda Gap 1985.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Third World Reagan posted:

After getting an AMS I had to figure out what can mount them.

There are like 6 variants that can out of the 200 or so variants.

What the gently caress, AMS should be mountable on every single mech, no? That or LAMS (which I'm guessing is Clantech).

Dramicus posted:

I'm guessing you never played MWO. In that, there are only 3 types of hardpoint, energy/missile/ballistic. So if you have a ballistic hardpoint, you can fit any type of ballistic weapon so long as you have free weight and crit space. There were some limitations because of this, for example you couldn't fit double ac/20 in side torsos with an xl engine, but you could use a small standard engine to make it fit. Anyway, if you made all weapons "small" in mw5, it would be very close to the MWO system.

I played MWO a bit, but I wasn't sure if you were talking about wanting a MWO system or a MW4/mercs system. And I assume when you say 'make all weapons small', you also assume that the existing slot system would be kept. I'd definitely be up for just copying the MWO system since it allowed lots of freedom.

Dramicus posted:

Just looked up that warhammer.. and yeah, this is an abomination of a system.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 25, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I can imagine making all weapons small would be the easiest possible tweak since it's prob just an entry in a .cfg file

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The small / medium / large system would be pretty good if mechs didn't come with exactly enough hardpoints to mount their stock loadout and not a single space more.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Voyager I posted:

The small / medium / large system would be pretty good if mechs didn't come with exactly enough hardpoints to mount their stock loadout and not a single space more.

Yeah. Stuff like the Griffin and that Catapult variant with exactly two missile slots are just kinda dead weight.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

that’s how i felt when i saw a trebuchet. i was thinking perfect i can stash one of the ai in the rear to take out all the vtol and l/srm carriers while i focus on mech but lol they just charge right the gently caress in under their minimum distance

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Yeah. Stuff like the Griffin and that Catapult variant with exactly two missile slots are just kinda dead weight.

I bought a Griffin as my second mech without realizing it only had two slots for weapons. I removed the jump jets and up-armored every single part of the thing and gave it to my original AI wingman. He's still using it now in level 8 zones while I stomp around in an assault mech, he almost never takes serious damage and pumps out steady damage and missiles.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

TK-42-1 posted:

that’s how i felt when i saw a trebuchet. i was thinking perfect i can stash one of the ai in the rear to take out all the vtol and l/srm carriers while i focus on mech but lol they just charge right the gently caress in under their minimum distance

You know that you can hit f1 -> f3 and tell the AI to stand somewhere and they won't move from that spot, right? This would do literally exactly what you want the LRM carrier to do.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Voyager I posted:

The worrisome part is that MWO felt the same way for the first year or so before they let Paul off his leash and started repeatedly making the game worse.

Hopefully MW5 follows a different path, but PGI remains a difficult company to trust.

well there was also the big part of IGP publishing (Rest In Hell) were also calling a lot of the shots, taking funding from MWO and putting it god knows where for two whole years

Tythas fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 26, 2019

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

What do my mechwarriors do in the two and a half month window in between contracts that are forced upon me due to repairs? I get walking around the mechbay but let me go to the leopard's arcade deck or whatever. I wanna play space skeeball.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

aniviron posted:

You know that you can hit f1 -> f3 and tell the AI to stand somewhere and they won't move from that spot, right? This would do literally exactly what you want the LRM carrier to do.

I found that even when I do that, they don't fire a lot. I've put them in a Catapult, an Archer and an LRM Stalker, and they just never shoot. Their damage done is always consistently awful. I finally gave up trying to have the AI do LRMs and just put them in direct fire mechs.

Also giving them TAG is funny but seems useless too. Sure they TAG things constantly (and by GOD do they want you to know it) but in practice they never keep the TAG on target long enough to do any good.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Wrr posted:

What do my mechwarriors do in the two and a half month window in between contracts that are forced upon me due to repairs? I get walking around the mechbay but let me go to the leopard's arcade deck or whatever. I wanna play space skeeball.

Canonically, how many mechs should a Leopard be able to carry? If it can carry 12 in its active hangar and has space skeeball, I'm not seeing what's so special about the Argo in HBS Battletech.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
A Leopard should be able to carry 4 Mechs, 6 if you rip out/convert the Aerospace bays. I just assume the Leopard in MW5 is a special Star League Leopard built on the Terran Hegemony planet of Gallifrey.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TK-42-1 posted:

I tried to do this the other night, and I actually got him to stay but then he got chewed apart by tanks and vtols that spawned behind him and bumrushed him =/

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Q_res posted:

A Leopard should be able to carry 4 Mechs, 6 if you rip out/convert the Aerospace bays. I just assume the Leopard in MW5 is a special Star League Leopard built on the Terran Hegemony planet of Gallifrey.

Yeah, it should be able to handle four mechs in bays then have I think 300 tons of cargo space given it lacks the aerospace bays? Actually one thing that I did notice is that in one of the first 'story' missions in the starter system, the mission opens with a couple of helicopters attacking you as you land and then getting torn to pieces by the leopard's large laser turrets and LRM-20s. Which was cool! Battletech games often seem to forget that military dropships have a ton of firepower.

Then they never seem to fire again even though enemies will absolutely shoot the leopard as you come into land and your mechs are rotated around in the deployment bays.

Edit: I just checked and a standard leopard apparently has five large lasers, two PPCs, three LM-20s and seven medium lasers. It could probably shred most mech lances by itself though dropships are too expensive for that to be a good idea to try routinely.

Patrat fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 26, 2019

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Patrat posted:

Then they never seem to fire again even though enemies will absolutely shoot the leopard as you come into land and your mechs are rotated around in the deployment bays.

Funny story, I dropped on a random mission and decided to turn around and watch the Leopard take off for the hell of it. There was a hidden, small, enemy base "behind" the Landing Zone I wouldn't have even known about. Except I saw the Leopard rippling off LRM salvos at one of the Mechs or something over there as it left. I've never seen it do that again.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
If the leopard lands in range of enemy targets it will absolutely shoot them with its guns. Not all of them have the same facing.

I found this out because I landed almost on top of my assassination target one game and the leopard shot him to death before I got out of the bay, and I managed to walk to the pickup zone where another leopard came to pick me up before the one that dropped me off took off.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

My favorite leopard moment was when it rammed a chopper while launching

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Isn't a Leopard worth like ~250m cbills? I felt pretty good at the end of the game, with about 150m in assets and cash until I remembered that you start the game with close to double that.

hBomb42
Jul 24, 2012

Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
I keep losing the ability to order my lancemates around and it's driving me bonkers. They don't do much, but I'm a little under-tonned on some of the missions I'm doing and not being able to focus targets down is wrecking my poo poo. I tried binding the keys to 7890, but no dice. Restarting works but ugh..

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Playing a streamers hero raven, amazing.

Trip report, blew up a spider.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Third World Reagan posted:

Playing a streamers hero raven, amazing.

Trip report, blew up a spider.

Dekker noooo

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

This streamer is amazing since he is like rank 11 and still just loving around in lights and mediums at 3040.

So we have a bunch of UACs and pulse lasers.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

How are you finding people to play with in co-op? These dipshit AI pilots are going to bankrupt me.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Either start a twitch stream with the "playing with viewers" tag or just ask streamers if they want another person to join them. You can even screen annoying people that way via streams.

There is probably a discord somewhere as well.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is a BNC-3M worth purchasing? Almost as much firepower of a Warhammer, but for 20 more tons you get jump jets!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

Is a BNC-3M worth purchasing? Almost as much firepower of a Warhammer, but for 20 more tons you get jump jets!

I would get the BNC-3S, it has the same weight and like 5x the firepower. The tradeoff is that it runs at normal assault speed.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I wish this game wasn't so underproduced. There are like seven missions you do over and over, and the only way to modulate difficulty is for them to put in a zillion enemies. I am on the first campaign mission in Marik space with a mixed heavy and medium lance and so far Black Inferno has dropped a mixed assault/heavy lance and an assault lance in addition to constant chaff.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Arglebargle III posted:

I wish this game wasn't so underproduced. There are like seven missions you do over and over, and the only way to modulate difficulty is for them to put in a zillion enemies. I am on the first campaign mission in Marik space with a mixed heavy and medium lance and so far Black Inferno has dropped a mixed assault/heavy lance and an assault lance in addition to constant chaff.

Broadly, the chaff is the problem. I never get a sense of progress in missions because it seems like I never quite make a dent in the vehicle horde no matter how many I destroy — and it’s easy enough to hit them that I’m p. much 100 percenting then in terms of accuracy

Facing off against like, eight strong mechs with maybe a few vehicles on the way would be way cooler

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
The game could definitely do with a professional level designer putting together actual missions. It has one or two and they're absolutely the high-points of the game for me.

I got into the series (and Battletech in general) with Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries, and it's a world of difference having actual crafted missions with actual depth and scripted challenges that can expect more or less what the player's strength will be by the time they get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

The massive amount of tanks and them spawning literally next to you is really unfun