Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

The CGI mice children are one of the most unsettling things I've ever see in a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

other pre-cgi patch stuff i noticed:

Rebel Wilson sings to what is presumably her tail... while her tail is swishing behind her??? i never understood that.

judi dench cat sultrily kicking up a leg, her hand wearing a wedding ring

dancers appearing to be floating down to the floor (especially in the beginning songs)

the magician cat's hands during his song. the human hands!!!

idris elba cat's face when he's fully naked when dancing with taylor swift cat and threatening judi dench cat. arggghhhh!!!!!

after jennifer hudson cat is sent off to die in the clouds, they dance in trafalgar square and i swear one background cat straight up noclipped through another cat. and another cat glitched out for a frame or two and moved slightly to the right

i hated all the extreme close ups especially when they did BOTH shakycam and extreme closeups, but otherwise the film is insane and absolutely terrible. i love it!!!!

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

I don't know if this is in the "fixed" version, but I felt like a lot of the CG on the actors was several frames behind their movements. Like there was a decent render for the fur physics, but they didn't know how to make it match the speed of the people twirling and dancing. The effect is like a really expensive Snapchat filter.

A common complaint of CGI heavy movies is that it looks like a videogame. This is the first movie I've seen where it looks like a glitching video game. Like someone tried to make a furry mod for Skyrim but it keeps breaking the engine. Or the VFX render farms didn't update their drivers.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
This is more a nitpick but i cant get over it as its not a CGI issue

In the McCavity song they say McCaviry is a ginger cat

Idris Elba's McCavity is black and brown

Why the gently caress did they keep that lyric the same it wouldve taken a secons to fix and instead its doing my head in

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Memories gets half started in the musical a few times, thats not a Tom Hooper original

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This was dumb as hell and I loved it.

That said, even drunk as hell I thought all the close-up shots were getting old. Probably something wrong when even I have better ideas of how to stage it.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Dec 26, 2019

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Lid posted:

If Green Book won best picture this is in with a chance

And the Academy Award....

*laughter*

for Best Picture....

"A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood"

*Cheers and applause*

"A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" has 4 Oscar nominations this year and was produced by Bergen Swanson, Noah Harpster and Micah Fitzerman-Blue. All first time nominees...

[...]

"Thank-you, thank you all. Thank you to Tri-Star. Thank you to our incredible cast and crew! We're all up here right now. Thank you, ah, to my parents for supporting....my choice to purse my career in the arts. To my kind, generous, talented, blue-eyed wife....you have inspired me to become the man I am...right now...and more importantly the man I'm still becoming. There's a lot of love in this room, Fred Rogers would be proud, but we lost by the way...but y'know...."

"Wait what guys, I'm sorry, no...this-- there's a mistake..."

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I really wish that scene in house with the felon cats had concluded with a massive dog man yelling at them to get the gently caress out.

EDIT: Also during Jennyanydots Thomas Harris-esque dance number, a child left, being gently reassured by their mother that "everything's okay".

They did not return.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 26, 2019

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I was obsessed with Cats (the 1998 video version) as a child, and as a result know way more than I should about it, the characters, the songs, everything. I am, to my shame, way too familiar with Cats The Musical. So this was a weird experience where everything was somehow both familiar and bizarre at the same time.

Holy poo poo the CGI was bad. I'm not good at noticing things like this, but the actors were constantly floating/jittering around on the floor, not only Judi Dench's hands but also Jennifer Hudson's were out (unless Grizabella was supposed to have a killer manicure). Mistoffelees also had human hands during his number, AND the fur on his wrists looked like it was jumping around trying to map to his movement. I'm pretty sure some characters' faces changed size in relation to their heads at least once, but maybe that was just me slowly going mad. Bustopher Jones drinking some kind of liquid that just looked like a video game asset, never changing in the rate and location it poured into his face even though he kept talking throughout. I don't even know how much of it will be fixed with a patch, there's just a lot.

Skimbleshanks' number was the only one I thought improved-- the tapping added something and the song itself is cute. If I could watch just that one scene again, I would.

Mungojerrie and Rumpelteazer were fun; I really wanted to see that dog while also being horrified at the very concept.

Macavity shouting "Meow!" or "Macavityyy~" when he teleported got a laugh from the theater every time. Idris Elba seemed like he was having fun with it at least.

I didn't notice the weird horniness so much, but maybe I'm just desensitized because all that nuzzling and gyrating and whatnot is also in the musical. I thought they actually toned it down.

Every single song is stuck in my head. (Except for the new one, which stuck out weirdly next to everything else.)

As we walked out, an older couple in front of us was asked what they thought of Cats; they said it "wasn't as bad as what everyone's been saying." I'm glad for that couple.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I really wish that scene in house with the felon cats had concluded with a massive dog man yelling at them to get the gently caress out.

Ray Winstone was right there.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I don't get why so many people watched this on substances. I was at a theater that serves alcohol, but got a cup of coffee and a bag of twizzlers so I'd be awake and present for the whole movie.

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015
The most upsetting part of CATS was when I looked at my watch and realised only an hour had passed. I've never seen something so terrifying and baffling yet interminably dull. Went to see it with friends in a nearly empty theatre expecting to have a good Christmas laugh at CATS but instead we sat there in silent bemusement the entire film. No one laughed, no one cried. We discussed it sedately in the hall afterwards with polite queries like, 'Is the hot air balloon a metaphor or did Judi Dench just murder that sad cat?' and 'Why are all these American cats living in London?' I will definitely watch this film again, but not in a cinema because the claustrophobia and boredom almost gave me hives.

All the weird CGI issues distract from the real problems of pacing. There's just no way this script/adaptation could have ever worked as a film. Maybe if you cut 3 characters (like I don't know, loving James Corden) and had some actual dialogue the experience would not have been so alienating.

Hayward was good. Hope she goes on to better things.

Lid posted:

Why the gently caress did they keep that lyric the same it wouldve taken a secons to fix and instead its doing my head in

God this bothered me so much. Just...... change the lyric.........

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Is the hot air balloon for death because if all the cats wanted to die why was McCavity so threatening if death is what they sought? I actually have no idea what a jellicle is or what the jellicle prize is.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's to reborn as new kind of cat not just to die. Like you can change your brand. The prize is actually that god successfully deletes your entire social media presence

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Pick posted:

It's to reborn as new kind of cat not just to die. Like you can change your brand. The prize is actually that god successfully deletes your entire social media presence

So all the cats are filled with self loathing and want a new identity and the tap dance cat hates his life?

https://mobile.twitter.com/maccooki...keting-video%2F

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I just treat the whole thing as a big long music video.

Generations grown up on weird nonsensical internet videos might have finally been taught to appreciate non-literal storytelling.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Lid posted:

Maybe they were thinking Americans don’t know what ginger means? Which might have been true 10 years ago but not so much now.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Jellicle cats are a tribe of cats. There's a whole lot of different types of cats in the tribe. There's a musical number which overexplains that but it's early in the film when you're still trying to process what you're looking at.

There are several types of cats. Some of the cats are old and want another shot at life and believe their lives are accomplished enough to deserve that. Others are already the perfect type of cat that they are and want to try being a new type of cat because they're bored. The cat who is the Jellicle Choice gets to be reborn as their ideal cat type.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

they do Jellicle Songs For Jellicle Cats (which introduces them + cats as a concept) then go "oh but perhaps you've never heard of a Jellicle cat? well listen to this weird largely unrelated song explaining the absurd names all the cats in this play have"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

smackfu posted:

Maybe they were thinking Americans don’t know what ginger means? Which might have been true 10 years ago but not so much now.

Counterpoint Garfield is a ginger

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

smackfu posted:

If the Weasley family wasn't a thing, I might have agreed with you. While the Harry Potter books changed a few British terms in the US version, the Weasleys are still referred to as gingers.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

smackfu posted:

yeah, ever since the South Park episode where Cartman gets "gingervitis" everyone here in the States knows what it is.

also I'm waiting until after the new year to see this, as 1/1/20 is when legal weed happens in Illinois and I'm not above crossing over to the 618 to improve my viewing experience

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Lid posted:

So all the cats are filled with self loathing and want a new identity and the tap dance cat hates his life?

Honestly, I know the music on top of it is an accident, but it just adds to the mood

Rules

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

i'm not convinced there's even a patched version. my screening has human hands throughout, including on judi dench, and I'm not sure what they would have patched it to be.

I will remain unconvinced until someone produces evidence of post-patch footage!!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Troy Queef posted:

yeah, ever since the South Park episode where Cartman gets "gingervitis" everyone here in the States knows what it is.

Oh boy do they ever and also that the most hilarious thing to say to a redhead is that they have no soul.

piratepilates posted:

i'm not convinced there's even a patched version. my screening has human hands throughout, including on judi dench, and I'm not sure what they would have patched it to be.

I will remain unconvinced until someone produces evidence of post-patch footage!!

I'd say the fact they made a public announcement shows they could only change a couple things but wanted to try to cancel out the negative press by getting people to think everything was fixed after a couple extra days of rendering time.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

piratepilates posted:

Guess you're just gonna have to see it again. :getin:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

caligulamprey posted:

Guess you're just gonna have to see it again. :getin:

that's the thing, I saw it on tuesday around lunch and I was convinced I was going to see the post-patch version since it was already tuesday and this was the flagship theatre in the city (biggest movie theatres, right in the heart of times square equivalent). judi dench had human hands, people had shoes, faces were moving around independent of the fur.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Lid posted:

"The boss is the boss is the boss"

*nods boomerishly*

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

just saw this and although I saw a bunch of twitter posts about this movie I was not prepared. Why is there a train cat

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Puppy Galaxy posted:

just saw this and although I saw a bunch of twitter posts about this movie I was not prepared. Why is there a train cat

who? oh, skimbleshanks? he's a railway cat, the cat of the railway train.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Twitch posted:

I don't get why so many people watched this on substances. I was at a theater that serves alcohol, but got a cup of coffee and a bag of twizzlers so I'd be awake and present for the whole movie.

This is the best possible movie to see in an altered state

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

duz posted:

Oh boy do they ever and also that the most hilarious thing to say to a redhead is that they have no soul.

I'd say the fact they made a public announcement shows they could only change a couple things but wanted to try to cancel out the negative press by getting people to think everything was fixed after a couple extra days of rendering time.

They didn't really announce it, their message informing theatres it was coming leaked. It likely only covers one or two shots that were finished slightly too late.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Puppy Galaxy posted:

This is the best possible movie to see in an altered state

Drugs make the brain a little more receptive and it helps with suspension of disbelief

and then Cats, from the opening loving shot, is like "suspend THIS motherfucker"

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
They left the really racist bits out of the movie, which is good, but I kind of want to see how they approached Growltiger's Last Stand. Considering how they handled... everything else.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

angerbeet posted:

They left the really racist bits out of the movie, which is good, but I kind of want to see how they approached Growltiger's Last Stand. Considering how they handled... everything else.

Growltiger only gets like 5 lines

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
less class-aware than my king of the hill musical,La Boomhauer

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica
In an alternate reality this movie was made by Sidney Poitier.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I think my ironic enjoyment of this movie has crossed fully over into genuine appreciation for it after my second viewing. I'm so happy it exists in an age where every movie is safe, studio micro-managed and focus grouped.

Also, Beautiful Ghosts is a legitimately great song.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

weekly font posted:

I think my ironic enjoyment of this movie has crossed fully over into genuine appreciation for it after my second viewing. I'm so happy it exists in an age where every movie is safe, studio micro-managed and focus grouped.

Also, Beautiful Ghosts is a legitimately great song.

I am definitely watching it again on blu ray, at least once, maybe twice, possibly every year for christmas. Watching this monstrosity brought a lot of joy to my life in a way that many big movies these days just do not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I will upgrade to 4K for this.