Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

All of that poo poo is tied down, including wine corkscrews. Peelers aren't, but that's it. We have an entire secondary prep kitchen down in the secure area of the terminal that let's us have loose knives though, so that's where we do the majority of the heavy knife work.

If wine corkscrews are tied down, does that mean you basically can't do wine service at the table? Does it affect your choice of wines at all? I'd imagine there are more than enough decent wines with screwtops that would allow you to avoid that issue entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Interesting, thanks!

On a similar note (and sorry if this is a stupid question, but I haven't flown in years): are passengers allowed to get doggie bags to bring on the plane? I hate wasting food and always get to-go boxes with anything I can't finish. I'd be sad to watch your delicious food being whisked away just because I have a connecting flight and didn't finish my grits.

Yeah absolutely. They don't give a poo poo what you bring with you on the plane as long as you get it after security.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PT6A posted:

If wine corkscrews are tied down, does that mean you basically can't do wine service at the table? Does it affect your choice of wines at all? I'd imagine there are more than enough decent wines with screwtops that would allow you to avoid that issue entirely.

Nah, they just pop the bottle at the bar before taking it to the table. It doesn't end up being a big issue though, since whole bottles being purchased is not very common in this setting.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What is your actual job at your restaurant? Some sort of chef? Owner? Middle man for whatever holding company you are a part of?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What is your actual job at your restaurant? Some sort of chef? Owner? Middle man for whatever holding company you are a part of?

First line of the OP:

I'm the executive chef of an upper casual dining restaurant in an international airport.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Everyone in the industry thread has at least one idiot customer request story. Got anything you can share that would be specific to an airport restaurant? Or just good anecdotes of running an airport restaurant in general?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Is your restaurant still making your own beer?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Has anyone ever blamed your place for making them miss their flight?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cacafuego posted:

Is your restaurant still making your own beer?

Yep!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Canuckistan posted:

Has anyone ever blamed your place for making them miss their flight?

Here and there yeah, we don't humor them though. More often someone will come in, sit down, shriek that they have a flight to catch and need faster service, and promptly get served the same speed as everyone else who also has a flight to catch.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Everyone in the industry thread has at least one idiot customer request story. Got anything you can share that would be specific to an airport restaurant? Or just good anecdotes of running an airport restaurant in general?

We get a disproportionate amount of negative reviews on Yelp. Just Yelp; TripAdvisor and such fine. The common thread is "worst service I've ever had in my life, worst burger I've ever had in my life, lies about our prices, suggestions to eat at McDonald's next door". I remember almost all of these people, and without fail they were nightmares; nasty, rude, "well done no toppings" burger eaters, etc.

We only serve travelers about to board an economy airline, and they use us a punching bag for their stress and frustration constantly. I've gotten really good at identifying when a review is legitimate so I can use it for improvement.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

iospace posted:

This is a problem? :confused:

For some people. For others it’s a selling point. In case PT6A is one of those “I find black pepper too spicy” people I thought I’d warn him.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
We also got review bombed by all the friends of a man who got kicked out of our establishment for gropping a server, because he told them all that we kicked him out for having a disability (that he never told us he had). Take the worst restaurant patron you can imagine, and give them the power of knowing we will never see them again, and you have Airport Nightmare Bitches.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

All of that poo poo is tied down, including wine corkscrews. Peelers aren't, but that's it. We have an entire secondary prep kitchen down in the secure area of the terminal that let's us have loose knives though, so that's where we do the majority of the heavy knife work.

Do they run that food through the X Ray when it's brought up? Or the food in general?

How about liquids? Presumably you're not limited to 300 mL, but are there any restrictions? Do they all need to be screened?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Do they run that food through the X Ray when it's brought up? Or the food in general?

How about liquids? Presumably you're not limited to 300 mL, but are there any restrictions? Do they all need to be screened?

No, they don't screen food. The vendors we use are all vetted and approved, so they do cursory searches on shipments, mostly to be sure nothing suspicious is happening. The only reason knives and things bolted down is because we have an open kitchen; they don't want travelers to be able to go back and bring a knife on a plane. All airport staff are vetted and background checked as a requirement to work.

We have no restrictions whatsoever on what we can bring in to the airport productwise. TSA has almost nothing to do with our day to day operations, they are just security theater for the airport. Working for the airport has done nothing if not make me realize just how much a disaster and waste of money TSA is.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

As a former sous chef your food looks good, my question is how many functional (or not ) alcoholics do you have or suspect employed under you?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Applesnots posted:

As a former sous chef your food looks good, my question is how many functional (or not ) alcoholics do you have or suspect employed under you?

Not many, actually. One of my sous chefs is, and I have to keep him on track, but most of the kitchen staff are hard working kids. I've not once had an issue with someone showing up to work drunk or high; I think security scares them tbh

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Does your resturant have a to go counter? I'm an airline crew member who enjoys decent food but the time it takes dealing with getting seated, waiting on a waiter to take your order, waiting on a waiter to bring out the bill, and then waiting for them go in the back and ring you up makes a trip to a sit down restaurant impossible between flights.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

KodiakRS posted:

Does your resturant have a to go counter? I'm an airline crew member who enjoys decent food but the time it takes dealing with getting seated, waiting on a waiter to take your order, waiting on a waiter to bring out the bill, and then waiting for them go in the back and ring you up makes a trip to a sit down restaurant impossible between flights.

Yeah we do. We also produce a large selection of sandwiches, wraps, salads etc. in house daily, all stocked in the market.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I hope this isn't too far afield but what is that pond-looking thing in the OP? Does that airport have a golf course or something?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I hope this isn't too far afield but what is that pond-looking thing in the OP? Does that airport have a golf course or something?

It's just a nice little pond and landscaping. Our bar sits in a glass area that overhangs it, gives a nice view for passengers.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

It's Florida, the entire state is basically four inches of pavement on two feet of fill floating on the gulf of mexico. Water management isn't optional.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Speaking of it being Florida... how do hurricanes affect your business? (My father lives in Key West, so anytime there's tropical storm activity down there, I'm biting my nails up here in VA)

Like, say you've got an Irma threatening to tear FL a new one; do y'all close because no one's flying, or stay open because you have people stranded at the airport that need to eat?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Speaking of it being Florida... how do hurricanes affect your business? (My father lives in Key West, so anytime there's tropical storm activity down there, I'm biting my nails up here in VA)

Like, say you've got an Irma threatening to tear FL a new one; do y'all close because no one's flying, or stay open because you have people stranded at the airport that need to eat?

They straight up close the airport down for hurricanes, or even the threat of them. We were actually delayed on our initial opening for a week due to a storm. If the airport is open though, we have to be as well.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Is there anything interesting or unusual about dealing with the food vouchers airlines give out when they gently caress up and there are delays or whatever?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PT6A posted:

Is there anything interesting or unusual about dealing with the food vouchers airlines give out when they gently caress up and there are delays or whatever?

Not really, we just use them as cash. People eat, present vouchers, then pay the difference. All very rote.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Not really, we just use them as cash. People eat, present vouchers, then pay the difference. All very rote.

Do you then submit them back to the issuing airlines to get paid or something?

Can they be used for booze? The one time I got one, I'd already had breakfast and I didn't have time for a meal during my connection, but I couldn't use it for a beer for some reason, so it just went unused.

EDIT: Does the system vary by airport? For example, if my initial flight is delayed, and the airline issues me a voucher at my origin, can I then get on my flight and use that voucher at my connecting and/or destination airport instead?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PT6A posted:

Do you then submit them back to the issuing airlines to get paid or something?

Can they be used for booze? The one time I got one, I'd already had breakfast and I didn't have time for a meal during my connection, but I couldn't use it for a beer for some reason, so it just went unused.

Yeah, we staple receipts to them and send to the airline. No, they can't be used for booze.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Do you pay a flat rental fee to the airport or is it more of a percentage of your revenue kinda deal?

Are you allowed to say how much you pay?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Per posted:

Do you pay a flat rental fee to the airport or is it more of a percentage of your revenue kinda deal?

Are you allowed to say how much you pay?

Both. The whole process of getting into an airport is a bidding war. Essentially, rent is rent, and then you compete with other companies with your concept, business plan, and most importantly, the cut you give the airport. So we pay a rent and also give a cut to the airport.

So yeah, we sort of decide what we pay, by bidding a certain amount to get the spot in the first place.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I know that one significant challenge facing airport restaurants is the available space; some restaurants have virtually no kitchen and no/minimal outlets for kitchen utilities, meaning whatever consumers get is nuked X. How are the utility setups in your BoH?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Does the airport keep trying to squeeze you for money or are they just happy to have a good restaurant now?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

I know that one significant challenge facing airport restaurants is the available space; some restaurants have virtually no kitchen and no/minimal outlets for kitchen utilities, meaning whatever consumers get is nuked X. How are the utility setups in your BoH?

Full kitchen, full gas lines, 5 walk in coolers, combi ovens. This was a $15mil build out, with underground prep kitchen and 15000 sq foot of storage space. We don't have a microwave in the building.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 25, 2019

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

mystes posted:

Does the airport keep trying to squeeze you for money or are they just happy to have a good restaurant now?

Nope, they can't. We signed a 10 year contract under the numbers agreed upon, and we've far exceeded their projections.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nope, they can't. We signed a 10 year contract under the numbers agreed upon, and we've far exceeded their projections.

How long until the contracts up and then the airports try to squeeze you?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How long until the contracts up and then the airports try to squeeze you?

7 more years, and they won't. It will likely go to another bid, but by then we'll have been an established brand reliably pulling mega bank, and they are all about that poo poo. My source on this is that our company acquired two smaller quick service locations in the terminal that were operating for 16 years and hadn't seen anything like that happen to them. We renovated them, rebranded, and developed new menus and market offerings. They now pull in over double what they did before.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Thanks for the thread! I've never worked in a kitchen but this is all really interesting.

I've heard that Chefs have their favorite knives that they like to bring to their work's kitchen. Are you (or the chefs that work for you) able to bring a knife roll into work to use in the prep area? Or do you use whatever the company provides? If you do, what brand/knife-maker did they go for?

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 26, 2019

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Chip McFuck posted:

Thanks for the thread! I've never worked in a kitchen but this is all really interesting.

I've heard that Chefs have their favorite knives that they like to bring to their work's kitchen. Are you (or the chefs that work for you) able to bring a knife roll into work to use in the prep area? Or do you use whatever the company provides? If you do, what brand/knife-maker did they go for?

Thanks, I'm glad people are getting some entertainment out of this!

Yes, professional chefs generally have their own preference for knives that they work with, I use Mercer (reliable, inexpensive, durable). However, with airport security being what it is, we cannot bring our own knives in. I purchase knives for the restaurant; we get Dexter brand, just cheap commercial knives that cost nothing. We don't even bother sharpening them, we just replace them when they get dull.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I'm currently working on a new website thanks to this thread, and it is nearly done. Here is the link for anyone that wants to see the work in progress. It's mobile friendly!

Password: meatloaf20

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Having "farm to terminal" in quotes makes it sound sarcastic

Where/when did you work at the Grand Floridian?