Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
The new trilogy leans hard on the nostalgia, which is going to make it less interesting for kids in general.

My pseudo nieces and nephews were okay with TFA, meh on TLJ, and actively bored in RoS. Small sample size and all I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

2house2fly posted:

The Rise Of Skywalker has basically nothing in common with the original trilogy except for some visual designs and character names
Thematically, the movies have everything in common. The journey of redemption and self discovery, self conflict, bravery in the face of danger against overwhelming odds, friendship.

The movie literally ends in the very place where Luke's journey begins.

I love how people have gone from complaining that the new trilogy was too much like the original to now complaining that it has nothing in common. They will never be happy.

If you are genuinely confused or overwhelmed by themes and structure in movies, take a look at this page.

http://www.movieoutline.com/articles/the-hero-journey-mythic-structure-of-joseph-campbell-monomyth.html

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 26, 2019

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Making the series answerable in any way to adults who post about Star Wars online is the biggest mistake Star Wars ever made.

Star Wars should just be a job corps program for a starving army of practical effects engineers and a simple space adventure for bookish 13 year olds.

Right! Like, I would love a version of this same kind of quickly paced, "We have to loving run!!!" type adventure but with a plot and good writing. That's mainly what RoS was missing. Trying to make a story to fit 8 billion tastes was their biggest mistake. Decide who the series is for going forward. And no, the answer can't be "motherfucking everyone :classiclol:" or you'll do even "worse" next time.

Decide you're targeting 9 year olds or that you're targeting 34 year olds who act like 9 year olds. One or the other. And go All In.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

im upset that they keep making tie fighters in the first place, each design lazier than the last

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

I said come in! posted:

Yep, all of this is for the hope of eventually making it big. The western market is assuming the Chinese market is an explosion of massive never before seen profits, when in reality the exact opposite is true. All companies here are doing is helping support a pretty brutal government that is using that money to be terrible to its people.

This is very true but at the end of the day it is China, not Disney, that is doing all of those horrible things and Disney (or any American company) shouldn’t have to carry the torch for human rights. Our government should be doing that, not Disney or Apple or the NBA, etc.

But everyone should be aware that China is basically committing another Holocaust in Xinjiang.

Also this movie poo poo all over Rian Johnson. “A Jedi’s weapon deserves more respect.” They could have conveyed Rey’s conviction to stay on that planet a dozen different ways without taking such an overt dump on TLJ.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Bioshuffle posted:

What the hell do they want? Palpatine's payroll sheets and tax returns? What will it take before they're satisfied? I genuinely feel sorry for them. I do. The movie was fine the way it was.

Word choice.

If someone enjoys the film? Fine. But there’s no satisfying everyone. Personally I’m extremely dissatisfied and disappointed that a “trilogy” was loosely connected at best with major members of creative teams that seem downright adversarial to one another to the detriment of some excellent actors portraying fun characters. I’m dissatisfied by how those characters were treated, especially by Boyega being deprived of a lead/co-lead role and relegated to comedic background. I’m disgusted how the how and why of Ackie’s and Russell’s characters that by all rights should be awesome and fun, but are basically there as props. I’m disgusted how Tran was treated by the narrative, the public, and her employer via the way Rose was dismissed.

About the only people I feel sorry for are kids who get caught up in the ugly pedantic arguments and think it’s the ideal way to experience fandom.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I like the prequels now but you really do have to wonder how much of TROS billion dollar marketing scheme was a psyop to rehab them.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Bioshuffle posted:

Thematically, the movies have everything in common. The journey of redemption and self discovery, self conflict, bravery in the face of danger against overwhelming odds, friendship.

The movie literally ends in the very place where Luke's journey begins.

I love how people have gone from complaining that the new trilogy was too much like the original to now complaining that it has nothing in common. They will never be happy.

If you are genuinely confused or overwhelmed by themes and structure in movies, take a look at this page.

http://www.movieoutline.com/articles/the-hero-journey-mythic-structure-of-joseph-campbell-monomyth.html

Do you have links to anymore stuff about this Joe Camel guy? He sounds pretty cool.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If they were going to take stuff from Gundam, they should have stolen the Angel Halo as the new SuperWeapon du jour.

It's a giant machine with a ton of psychics stuck in it to brainwash the entire Earth. Everyone falls asleep and then die of starvation, leaving everything intact to be taken over.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Word choice.

If someone enjoys the film? Fine. But there’s no satisfying everyone. Personally I’m extremely dissatisfied and disappointed that a “trilogy” was loosely connected at best with major members of creative teams that seem downright adversarial to one another to the detriment of some excellent actors portraying fun characters. I’m dissatisfied by how those characters were treated, especially by Boyega being deprived of a lead/co-lead role and relegated to comedic background. I’m disgusted how the how and why of Ackie’s and Russell’s characters that by all rights should be awesome and fun, but are basically there as props. I’m disgusted how Tran was treated by the narrative, the public, and her employer via the way Rose was dismissed.

About the only people I feel sorry for are kids who get caught up in the ugly pedantic arguments and think it’s the ideal way to experience fandom.

I really enjoyed Adam Driver's performance. I too was disappointed at how Boyega was pushed out of the spotlight. I did appreciate that he got a new love interest by the end of the film. I wish they would have focused more on his friendship with Poe, but that's never really addressed.

I disagree with you about Rose. I thought her character was annoying, and I am glad she was written off. It is unfortunate how much abuse she took from angry fans, but I don't think that was a factor, or it would set a terrible precedent.

I too have wondered how much different the trilogy would have been if there had been a master plan, like how JK Rowlings knew the important plot points, rather than winging it.

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012

Bioshuffle posted:

It tried all these things, but it failed hard at most of them. Rey seemed to not give a poo poo about Finn post-TFA so their friendship (especially the trio's friendship) felt hollow, Rey's conflict that seemed to come from her abandonment issues and feeling alone was handwaved as some bad blood poo poo she quickly got over, Poe basically has no arc whatsoever and Finn's got solved in TFA. The only character that had something resembling an arc was Kylo/Ben.

It was trying to be like the originals so much that it forgot to do its own thing so people would actually see those characters for themselves.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Lilikoi posted:

It tried all these things, but it failed hard at most of them. Rey seemed to not give a poo poo about Finn post-TFA so their friendship (especially the trio's friendship) felt hollow, Rey's conflict that seemed to come from her abandonment issues and feeling alone was handwaved as some bad blood poo poo she quickly got over, Poe basically has no arc whatsoever and Finn's got solved in TFA. The only character that had something resembling an arc was Kylo/Ben.

It was trying to be like the originals so much that it forgot to do its own thing so people would actually see those characters for themselves.

I'm sure I might change my mind as I process the movie, but when Rey and Ben kissed, my initial reaction was outrage. Pure. Outrage. Why?

I still don't understand why he put that in the movie.

In Rey's defense, Finn was borderline creepy and kind of annoying. He had nice guy/white knight syndrome. It was good to see her give him a middle finger. She doesn't need saving. Kind of like how Leia takes charge during her "rescue".

I was secretly kind of hoping they would kill him off, but you know that would never happen in a million years.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 26, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rise of Skywalker did not have a storyline. It was a trailer for Star Wars 2020 merchandise lol.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Its wild to me how the meme has shifted from "Disney is actively trying to destroy and hide the prequels, they'll even remake them!" to "The sequels are actually a trick to make people love the prequels!"

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

2019: Star wArs is bad now :wth:

Has anyone pointed out how Euphrates or whatever his name was, who got probated for arguing that Snoke was a Sith, was actually right since now Palpatine was alive and puppet mastering the whole scenario

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
The trilogy should have been about two Jedi falling in love since that’s a thing the Jedi have always been against.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Shiroc posted:

Its wild to me how the meme has shifted from "Disney is actively trying to destroy and hide the prequels, they'll even remake them!" to "The sequels are actually a trick to make people love the prequels!"

who'd have thought, if you have a trilogy of movies being made by directors who actively try to sabotage each other's work, it ends up being collectively much worse than the crappy prequel trilogy that was made with a singular cohesive vision guiding it

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Has anyone pointed out how Euphrates or whatever his name was, who got probated for arguing that Snoke was a Sith, was actually right since now Palpatine was alive and puppet mastering the whole scenario

Was Snoke ever not supposed to be a Sith? :confused:

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012

SleepCousinDeath posted:

The trilogy should have been about two Jedi falling in love since that’s a thing the Jedi have always been against.

You just wrote the new trilogy, except they're going to be secretly related and one has a mechanical hand.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Star Wars has always been bad, Alec Guinness called it decades ago.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

All three trilogies are now about palpatine winning. As it should be

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

stev posted:

The Sith were destroyed in RotJ, which is why in the next movie you have the same sort of people with different names. And then it turns out one is still alive!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shiroc posted:

I think the only time I've heard either of those arguments has been within this thread and within the past couple pages.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm sure I might change my mind as I process the movie, but when Rey and Ben kissed, my initial reaction was outrage. Pure. Outrage. Why?

I still don't understand why he put that in the movie.

In Rey's defense, Finn was borderline creepy and kind of annoying. He had nice guy/white knight syndrome. It was good to see her give him a middle finger. She doesn't need saving. Kind of like how Leia takes charge during her "rescue".

I was secretly kind of hoping they would kill him off, but you know that would never happen in a million years.

The kiss is there because Disney. :911:

I also like that Finn didn't get the girl. His act was maaad thirsty. Its a big universe (it isn't), go find a girl who actually needs help with her Space Quest and actually likes you. His thirst and lack of plot is unseemly. But he does get a life slowly: finding purpose in heroic crazy terrorist poo poo over the three films, eventually finding a girl who needs his help and also likes heroic crazy terrorist poo poo too, having peace with Rey just being his very good and, yes, very attractive friend and maybe not losing his loving mind.

The trio needs a good 3 hour epilogue 10 years down the line. Its too bad Boyega won't do Disney+, as he'd be perfect for a well made show. Mainly because Hollywood and Dosney are cowards and won't let him lead a major film by himself. No wonder he told them nicely to go gently caress off.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
It is one of the great ironies of the sequel trilogy that in seeking to undo the prequels—“this will begin to make things right”—the new films have actually just deleted episode 6.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

stev posted:

all the Disney official materials bent over backwards to constantly point out how Snoke is a powerful dark side force guy who isn't (somehow) a Sith. Despite functioning exactly like one. which was always something that kept me wondering (as I'm sure it was meant to) where the heck he came from. But tada, he was sith after all. the least interesting plot twist imaginable

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012

Dishwasher posted:

The kiss is there because Disney. :911:

I also like that Finn didn't get the girl. His act was maaad thirsty. Its a big universe (it isn't), go find a girl who actually needs help with her Space Quest and actually likes you.

That girl was Rose. Poor Rose, that shoulder pat was brutal.

I liked the kiss, but I have an Adam Driver problem. He and Rey could have boned next to Sheev's corpse and I'd be all yeah take off your shirt.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Sinteres posted:

I think you're way off here. Nothing sells merchandise like growing up giving a poo poo about something, because not only will adults spend shitloads of money on the stuff, but they'll do their best to introduce their kids to it. If people could capture lightning in a bottle like that at will, Marvel movies wouldn't be crushing everything else in Hollywood.
Watch Disney buy Pokemon and release five movies every year, each based around a subsequent entry of the Pokedex.

Also, I like what they said on RLM (or was it another thing?) that Rae should have gone full dark empress. Duel blades, iron throne, everything. But the Mouse needs another princess for his castle. Ugh. Also ugh that I'm still mired in caring about Star Wars at the beginning of the 20s. I need to SEVER.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Slowpoke! posted:

This is very true but at the end of the day it is China, not Disney, that is doing all of those horrible things and Disney (or any American company) shouldn’t have to carry the torch for human rights. Our government should be doing that, not Disney or Apple or the NBA, etc.

But everyone should be aware that China is basically committing another Holocaust in Xinjiang.

Also this movie poo poo all over Rian Johnson. “A Jedi’s weapon deserves more respect.” They could have conveyed Rey’s conviction to stay on that planet a dozen different ways without taking such an overt dump on TLJ.

TLJ deserves to be overtly dumped on, repeatedly

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Lilikoi posted:

That girl was Rose. Poor Rose, that shoulder pat was brutal.

I liked the kiss, but I have an Adam Driver problem. He and Rey could have boned next to Sheev's corpse and I'd be all yeah take off your shirt.

same, for all tljs problems it at least gave us wide kylo

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Thinking about it now, enjoying how rey played directly into palpatine's stated plan while smugly asserting that she was all the Jedi. Indeed, the whole jedi order is too stupid to live

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

McCloud posted:

TLJ deserves to be overtly dumped on, repeatedly

Without getting into the merits of TLJ as a viewing experience, I don't get why anyone would think JJ being disrespectful to Johnson is unfair given that Johnson went out of his way to break JJ's toys. The ultimate responsibility is with the execs who let him do it, but coming into a collaborative effort and saying "nah that's all bullshit" seems pretty toxic to me. Maybe JJ coming back and trying to steer things back in the other direction only compounded the error, but he inherited a poo poo sandwich.

I know some people say Johnson inherited a poo poo sandwich too, since he had to follow up a soft reboot and take it in a new direction, but I don't really think that's the same level of problem. To the extent that it is true though, again that's the fault of the execs who didn't sit everyone down to at least vaguely outline the whole thing from the start.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

cuntman.net posted:

same, for all tljs problems it at least gave us wide kylo

Wideload Ren, formerly known as Ben Swolo

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I’m really excited for all the potential of whatever they do with the post-Skywalker era. Here’s hoping they give it to Filoni and co.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Sinteres posted:

Without getting into the merits of TLJ as a viewing experience, I don't get why anyone would think JJ being disrespectful to Johnson is unfair given that Johnson went out of his way to break JJ's toys. The ultimate responsibility is with the execs who let him do it, but coming into a collaborative effort and saying "nah that's all bullshit" seems pretty toxic to me. Maybe JJ coming back and trying to steer things back in the other direction only compounded the error, but he inherited a poo poo sandwich.

I know some people say Johnson inherited a poo poo sandwich too, since he had to follow up a soft reboot and take it in a new direction, but I don't really think that's the same level of problem. To the extent that it is true though, again that's the fault of the execs who didn't sit everyone down to at least vaguely outline the whole thing from the start.

A bigger problem Johnson had was he allegedly had to start working before TFA was actually finished, with a script draft.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

dex_sda posted:

A bigger problem Johnson had was he allegedly had to start working before TFA was actually finished, with a script draft.

That's dumb as hell. Everyone managing this thing was a loving idiot.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Sinteres posted:

That's dumb as hell. Everyone managing this thing was a loving idiot.

Yes.

It helps explain why it seems to poo poo on TFA a lot, I think Rian expected JJ to take some chances and then the deconstruction thing he did would be less antagonistic

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Sinteres posted:

He didn't "break toys" he followed up on plot points. The way you people talk about the directors of these movies is deranged.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

dex_sda posted:

Wasn't TFA said to have a lot of story cut out? Entire fleshed out plotlines like Maz, Phasma, more Finn, etc.?

If so, TLJ would be a movie continuing a half complete movie, with a lot of the plot of the half complete movie not even making it to the screen. And then the skywalker movie is both a retcon of that, a maybe fleshing out of the original pared down movie, and guided by heavy focus grouping all the way up until the release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Word choice.

If someone enjoys the film? Fine. But there’s no satisfying everyone. Personally I’m extremely dissatisfied and disappointed that a “trilogy” was loosely connected at best with major members of creative teams that seem downright adversarial to one another to the detriment of some excellent actors portraying fun characters.

This was actually done on purpose. It's fanservice for the EU fanboys, the whole thing is a meta-reference to Aaron Allston, Troy Denning, and Karen Traviss' EU series "Legacy of the Force," where each book was devoted to completely retconning and assassinating the favorite characters of whoever wrote the previous book.

It's a really genius level reference, and as an EU fan I appreciate it.