Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh I hope refund process works well. I bought Gun Club VR on a whim since it’s on sale and it’s... not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Martytoof posted:

Ugh I hope refund process works well. I bought Gun Club VR on a whim since it’s on sale and it’s... not great.

H3VR is where it's at :blastu:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Happyimp posted:

I brought the index over to the families place. They have been playing super hot for a couple of hours. I kept saying to duck under certain shots, until I was asked which button that was. I just yelled, bend your knees. A collective ohhh was heard.

Yeah, this is super common. A buddy of mine played Gorn, and was like, "how do I turn around?" and I said, "turn your actual body around!" So he cranked his neck around and was like "that isn't working!" so I said, "turn your feet, step around and face my voice!"

It's an adjustment for some folks, to play a game where decades-long thumbstick actions are replaced with literal actions.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Get thee to Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades, Mr. Milhouse Mod.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shine posted:

Yeah, this is super common. A buddy of mine played Gorn, and was like, "how do I turn around?" and I said, "turn your actual body around!" So he cranked his neck around and was like "that isn't working!" so I said, "turn your feet, step around and face my voice!"

It's an adjustment for some folks, to play a game where decades-long thumbstick actions are replaced with literal actions.

This happens with just Index controllers too. I've had a few times where I wondered why I just grabbed something and it takes a moment to parse that I closed my hand around the controller.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Oh drat. So if i buy it from the quest store, i wont be able to hook it up to my pc later for extra horsepower? drat, ill be sure to keep that in mind. Thankfully, beat saber doesnt need a lot of juice so i should be safe there, cause that will be the number 1 game i play when takin my quest portable

Yeah, like he mentioned its up to individual devs if they make it cross buy and Beat Saber, being the biggest selling VR game (rightfully, sadly) figures they can get away with making people buy it twice.

In any event, this is a pretty good resource for the games that are cross buy https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/wiki/crossbuy. Its not all encompassing, since I can see its missing a recent game Star Trek Bridge Crew, so its probably missing others. So if you for example bought Espire 1 on the PC oculus store you can play it running on your PC, but then when disconnected from your PC Espire 1 will also show as available to install for free on the Quest's internal hardware, and vice versa.

Best thing is just to google a game and if its "cross buy" to see. Obviously if its cross buy you'd be silly not to buy it on the oculus store, but if its a PC only game, it doesn't matter if you buy it from Steam or Oculus, as they'll play fine from either when linked to the PC.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shine posted:

Get thee to Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades, Mr. Milhouse Mod.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

H3VR is where it's at :blastu:

Unless Oculus refunds me like $2,000 on my $16 Quest title purchase that’s probably not happening :(

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
you can play h3 through link

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
although i can't seem to get thumbstick movement working in it

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

you can play h3 through link

My gaming PC from 2015, but I get your meaning.

If I am ever in a position to play h3vr I will :haw:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

A photo in better light also I added my leap motion to make it look more stupid.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

A photo in better light also I added my leap motion to make it look more stupid.

Uhh, excuse me but you're CLEARLY missing a neon-bright Hyperkin gel skin on it to achieve maximum gamer cred and stupid appearance :goonsay:.

They are actually quite good gel skins though, and probably saved my Vive wands from a few more dings and dents than they already have.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright been playing the hell out of Skyrim VR all day today now that I can link to my PC and is normal for the oculus to burn battery faster then it can charge? Swore I had it at 100% then played for a few hours and its reaching 50% I stopped and set the headset to sleep and it still lost a percentage. Disconnected it and have it charging directly to a plug.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Leal posted:

Alright been playing the hell out of Skyrim VR all day today now that I can link to my PC and is normal for the oculus to burn battery faster then it can charge? Swore I had it at 100% then played for a few hours and its reaching 50% I stopped and set the headset to sleep and it still lost a percentage. Disconnected it and have it charging directly to a plug.

Depending on your cable and the USB port you're using, yeah, that's normal.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

TVs Ian posted:

I had an issue with my CV1 (which turned out to be a GPU issue, but was only visible in VR), and had to do an exchange. It was like a week and a half turnaround.

I expect it’ll be slower at this time of year, but it wasn’t bad at all for me.

So I don't actually need to do the swap.

Was getting super weird like, smudge effects in the left eye. Kept trying to clean the inner piece over and over again, still there. Eventually figured it must be internal. Couldn't really notice it ingame, but could really see it in the grayscale.

Because I had smudged one of the external cameras.

:suicide:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

Are you playing with mods? I just picked it up in the Steam sale but I'm having a hard time finding a decent mod collection list.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rookersh posted:

So I don't actually need to do the swap.

Was getting super weird like, smudge effects in the left eye. Kept trying to clean the inner piece over and over again, still there. Eventually figured it must be internal. Couldn't really notice it ingame, but could really see it in the grayscale.

Because I had smudged one of the external cameras.

:suicide:

This is adorable

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

Are you playing with mods? I just picked it up in the Steam sale but I'm having a hard time finding a decent mod collection list.

I got a handful of mods, mostly aesthetic. For the most part anything that works for skyrim special edition will work for VR.

For gameplay I got a mod that expands follower counts, another that adds more dialogue for followers (which impresses me. They make comments on you rifling through barrels, or even hints on where to get quests), one that makes the standing stones a bit better and of course every nude mod combined with the mod that makes each npc have their own skeleton so every person has a different nude mod applied SPERG cause bowmage is just too cool.

Leal fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 26, 2019

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

uncurable mlady posted:

although i can't seem to get thumbstick movement working in it

You need to press the Y button to activate the thumbstick for movement - you'll see four arrows appear under your controller if you aren't holding anything in that hand. Same applies if you have turning on the right stick - push B to activate it. The issue is that it stops all controls on guns which use that stick.

Honestly, as much as I use twin stick controls in other games, it's fiddly enough that I've gone back to the basic Y/B to teleport with A/X to snap turn.

Anyone with Index controllers - does that let me have both active (i.e. use the touchpad to operate gun controls while keeping the sticks open for movement)?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Martytoof posted:

My gaming PC from 2015, but I get your meaning.

If I am ever in a position to play h3vr I will :haw:

so's mine, op

vr games still work fine :shrug:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

uiruki posted:

Anyone with Index controllers - does that let me have both active (i.e. use the touchpad to operate gun controls while keeping the sticks open for movement)?

Yup!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you haven't tried the Armswinger control style in H3VR, it's a really fun way to play. Good workout too when you're powering through Take and Hold.

Or frantically running for your life from Zosigs in Return of the Rottweiners.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Getting my second pair of index controllers replaced due to stick drift on the left joystick, exactly the same issue as before :(

Anyone else run into this or am I just too rough on my controllers?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wish someone made an app that would let me attach actual OS windows (like my browser window where I have Youtube open or something) to my wrist the same way fpsVR does it.
That would be the poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jack Trades posted:

I wish someone made an app that would let me attach actual OS windows (like my browser window where I have Youtube open or something) to my wrist the same way fpsVR does it.
That would be the poo poo.

OVR Toolkit exists on the Steam store, and is well worth getting. You can only clip screens to the top of your controller rather than forearm though. It'll let you show desktop windows either constantly, or with a toggle (double-tap the Grip button to make them appear/disappear along with its menu). Just make sure to enable the Performance mode if you're gonna run Youtube videos through it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah, like he mentioned its up to individual devs if they make it cross buy and Beat Saber, being the biggest selling VR game (rightfully, sadly) figures they can get away with making people buy it twice.

In any event, this is a pretty good resource for the games that are cross buy https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/wiki/crossbuy. Its not all encompassing, since I can see its missing a recent game Star Trek Bridge Crew, so its probably missing others. So if you for example bought Espire 1 on the PC oculus store you can play it running on your PC, but then when disconnected from your PC Espire 1 will also show as available to install for free on the Quest's internal hardware, and vice versa.

Best thing is just to google a game and if its "cross buy" to see. Obviously if its cross buy you'd be silly not to buy it on the oculus store, but if its a PC only game, it doesn't matter if you buy it from Steam or Oculus, as they'll play fine from either when linked to the PC.

I think their main source is this official page https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/section/2335732183153590/#/?_k=5q0tvk but somehow Star Trek is also not there, I guess that's why no one has added it to the wiki. But Espire 1 is.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Are there any rumors of an official or 3rd party replacement strap for the Quest? I missed the boat on the "cheap" DAS or I'd do that, moving from the Rift S to the Quest is a painful experience.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

If you just want something with minimal setup, there's a wabbajack modlist for Skyrim VR. Requires a lot of space and decent specs though.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Man I just reinstalled GTAV to try

https://github.com/LukeRoss00/gta5-real-mod

and it was like just out of reach of being playable, like release-day Fallout4VR+ levels of jank. Gaze-aiming instead of free controllers was a big negative but i really only wanted to go driving around the city in 3D so I let it pass. The dealbreaker was that the 3d so far can only be done with alternating-eye projection so one eye is always a frame behind the other; OK for walking where you never have much speed and you are always (mostly) heading in the direction you're looking, but get in a fast car and look to the side (or even looking straight ahead on a fast freeway) and you have mismatched frames across two eyes and it doesn't take long for the VR queasiness to set in.

I wish Rockstar would spend some of their billions to either patch it in for real at the engine level or at least put it on the cards for GTAVI, much like early FO4 you could see it would be good if it wasn't so bad :o:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I just finished* Virtual Virtual Reality. That was pretty cool!

*: as sure I'm of being now outside of VR. I'm not sure anymore.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
It's insane to me just how good the mobility Quest has is.

Like I think I mentioned somewhere before, but the only thing I cared about going into VR was PC games. I was going to get a link, I was going to buy everything for Rift, I was here for Asgard's Wrath, Stormlands, Alyx, and other big AAA titles. Ended up getting a Quest not for the mobility, but for the manual IR tracking since I have an astigmatism and was worried the Rift IR would be super off for me.

Instead I've been buying everything on Quest. Yeah the linked stuff is great, and I have a ton of fun playing Asgard's Wrath or Skyrim. But I'm choosing to buy things for a higher price on the Quest store over Steam just to get more mobility options. I don't care if the graphics are slightly worse, being able to do it ANYWHERE and not be tethered is so goddamn huge.

This really is the future of VR. Being able to have these crazy experiences without having dozens of cords everywhere, yet giving you the option if you need/want to switch over and play something big.

It's also amazing to me how little graphical fidelity matters compared to artstyle. I've been doing VR of a bunch of older games through Vorpx, and they are totally fine, no big issues. Because even though the world is obviously not real, the immersion works when the art style is consistent. Meanwhile stuff like Vader Immortal is kind of iffy because the graphics jump in quality quite frequently even in the same scene.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I bought Wander and it’s obvious that I have now forfeit my Quest to my father who is touring all of old europe to revisit his childhood.

I won’t lie, I was a little annoyed that Google didn’t just first-party Google Earth for Quest... But Wander has done a really good job picking up the slack.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

How long are the cable(s) for the Index? I'll be getting one sometime near the first of the year, and think I have the perfect spot about 10-15 ft. away from my PC, but wasn't sure if I could actually go that far away.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Rookersh posted:

It's insane to me just how good the mobility Quest has is.

One thing that surprises me is the tracking in low light situations. Usually, if I try to use the Quest when there is already very little light in my room, it warns you of that saying it can't work. But I noticed that, if I start playing near the evening when I still had light from my window, 100 minutes later when I remove the headset I see it was already loving dark and somehow, the 6 dof tracking was trucking along.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I've been using the quest with virtual desktop... to play totally accurate battle simulator, streamed from the PC upstairs, reclined in my recliner with the display recentered up near the ceiling for Absolute Comfort. The virtual mouse and keyboard setup in virtual desktop is surprisingly usable, as long as you aren't playing an FPS or typing a lot of text.

I wonder if there is a way to get a good wireless keyboard to connect to the quest with virtual desktop somehow...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Man I just reinstalled GTAV to try
I wish Rockstar would spend some of their billions to either patch it in for real at the engine level or at least put it on the cards for GTAVI, much like early FO4 you could see it would be good if it wasn't so bad :o:
To patch in full VR, I doubt that'll ever happen, since it'll probably require more changes that Take2 will feel financially viable. Some rogue Rockstar developer could however meet modders half way by "hiding" a new render mode into the game that renders two cameras with a defined spatial offset per time step into the frame buffer (creating a stereoview in the framebuffer).

What I find personally more interesting is that they've added eye tracking support in LA Noire that late, next to headset specific support. I hope that means that there's going to be eventual VR support in upcoming titles. I don't even care if it's just sitting with KB+M.

--edit:
Thanks BoxVR, for 250 squats over a little more than half an hour. :[

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 26, 2019

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Butt Discussin posted:

I've been using the quest with virtual desktop... to play totally accurate battle simulator, streamed from the PC upstairs, reclined in my recliner with the display recentered up near the ceiling for Absolute Comfort. The virtual mouse and keyboard setup in virtual desktop is surprisingly usable, as long as you aren't playing an FPS or typing a lot of text.

I wonder if there is a way to get a good wireless keyboard to connect to the quest with virtual desktop somehow...

I'm pretty sure its possible to pair a bluetooth keyboard to the Quest?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I don't know about keyboards, but my xbox one controller was able to connect via bluetooth and play windows games via virtual desktop with no problem at all.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Virtual Desktop just mirrors whatever is on your PC, right? Why would you need to pair a wireless keyboard with your Quest rather than your PC directly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pun pundit posted:

Virtual Desktop just mirrors whatever is on your PC, right? Why would you need to pair a wireless keyboard with your Quest rather than your PC directly?

the PC is upstairs, based on what I understand of their post