Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Maybe time to start arguing that RC vehicles are covered under the 2nd Amendment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

moron izzard posted:

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Ex...fGjCm_6Byy3J6kL

A lot of this kinda sucks for anyone not explicitly commercial (and a lot of folk who are!) - I'll have to read into later pages for exemptions though

Yeah this is a travesty and honestly if you give a poo poo about drone stuff please write a comment.

I have no problems broadcasting an ID for my drone, in fact that is pretty sensible, but a location for the pilot is nuts.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
And the line of sight stipulation. Gonna fine Joshua Bardwell every time he flies behind his house/barn even if he goes through the trouble of registering his property as whatever it is they call a designated flying field.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Yikes! This is a lot more hard-line than I expected.

I guess it could be expected, since they've done essential the same thing with ADS-B

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Well, I lost a quad to a failsafe. Flying somewhere over my parents’ neighborhood and I lost radio but kept the video just long enough to see a fast approaching roof. I knocked some doors and put up flyers in the area, but I’m pretty sure my 5 inch is gone.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

do you not run DVR, and RSSI in the OSD?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I was running rssi, but I didn't hit record on the dvr, and I freely admit I was more worried about lining up for the dice rather than paying attention to signal strength. It's 100% my fault.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Friend of mine needs a new flight controller for his quad. Any option I give him isn't doable, because he didn't and still refuses to finally upgrade his lovely RC system, which restricts him to PWM RC control. Now he went for another Naze32. gently caress me, I hate this hobby.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Friend of mine needs a new flight controller for his quad. Any option I give him isn't doable, because he didn't and still refuses to finally upgrade his lovely RC system, which restricts him to PWM RC control. Now he went for another Naze32. gently caress me, I hate this hobby.
with friends like these...

PWM is awesome. for foam planes.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I did ask in the 3D printing thread, but maybe it was here? Did someone here print the Spyker Snowblower?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I did ask in the 3D printing thread, but maybe it was here? Did someone here print the Spyker Snowblower?

Looks like it was Ambihelical Hexnut in the printing thread. I couldn't remember either so I spent some time looking:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365193&userid=139527

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Thanks!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

with friends like these...
The worst is that he's contemplating of getting the DJI FPV stuff. Which baffles me even more, considering how crap and outdated the components on his quad are. Make that thing fly better first, then consider dumping like 800€ on that stuff. "But it flies well enough". Naze32, AfroESCs, stock PIDs on an old rear end Betaflight build. And oh, PWM RC and PWM to the ESCs (as in not even OneShot).

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Combat Pretzel posted:

... what rc system does he ahve that doesn't have some serial output option?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Nerobro posted:

... what rc system does he ahve that doesn't have some serial output option?

or even this? https://usa.banggood.com/PWM-To-PPM...ur_warehouse=CN

or https://www.amazon.com/QWinOut-Receiver-Encoder-Converter-Xaircraft/dp/B00X767R2I

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Some old rear end Graupner remote control. Old enough that it there aren't any receivers for the OTA radio protocol that output a serial control signal (HOTT or whatever it is called). He flew a bunch of cheap RC planes ages ago, and felt the thing worked well enough. He's essentially annoyed that the (mini)quad moved along meanwhile.

Those add latency and just delay the inevitable (no pun intended, I think).

Lets see how it goes I guess. I hope he gets back to flying, because there isn't really much going on around here anymore. Which is surprising, giving there's a huge tech university not far in the city next door. Maybe I get back to flying some more again. And eventually also a DJI FPV system (kind of want one on my quad and the Truggy whenever I cba to finish it).

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 4, 2020

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Broke my first frame arm yesterday racing :toot:

Oddly enough, it was _not_ this moment that did it, but it did scare the bejesus out of me: https://streamable.com/x8v5v

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hyperlite Floss 3 a good frame? What about T-Motor 4-in-1 ESCs?

If I'm going to start flying some more again, I'd finally like to get rid of this pig of a quad. The hyperlite is like 70ish grams, while my current tweaker is 130gr. That's quite some savings. And I've seen a low height build using a 3D printed shell, which I'd like to replicate. Like this one.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Yep, both of those are very commonly used.

If it helps to have a comparison point, my Catalyst Slamnasty 5" build with a 3d printed pod / sharkfin is at about 290g with no props or battery. I haven't focused on weight while building it at all and am 100% sure I could shave off more grams (didn't use a nano VTX, using all stock screws & standoffs instead of titanium hardware, etc, didn't really choose any components looking at weight).

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I received a DJI Mavic Mini for xmas, and I'm excited to get into it.
In the past, when quad drones were starting to get popular, I bought 2 cheapo lipo quads and they were a blast.. but only had like 3 min run time or something.

I'm wondering if there is a good guide to getting familiar with the FAA regulations. I live in Denver CO, and I'm wondering if I can fly it at my local lake/park. My dad lives way out in the boonies with about 40 acre and I can't wait to try it there. Its close enough to DIA that I'll have to make sure its not in a no fly zone etc. The new FAA things are daunting, and a quick google search doesn't really help me figure out if it accounts for the new rules or not.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

deong posted:

I received a DJI Mavic Mini for xmas, and I'm excited to get into it.
In the past, when quad drones were starting to get popular, I bought 2 cheapo lipo quads and they were a blast.. but only had like 3 min run time or something.

I'm wondering if there is a good guide to getting familiar with the FAA regulations. I live in Denver CO, and I'm wondering if I can fly it at my local lake/park. My dad lives way out in the boonies with about 40 acre and I can't wait to try it there. Its close enough to DIA that I'll have to make sure its not in a no fly zone etc. The new FAA things are daunting, and a quick google search doesn't really help me figure out if it accounts for the new rules or not.

Yeah, it's pretty cool that there are so many overlapping guidelines/regs that never leave you feeling reassured, especially with the existence of small craft exemptions.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Rexxed posted:

Looks like it was Ambihelical Hexnut in the printing thread. I couldn't remember either so I spent some time looking:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365193&userid=139527

It was me. Assembly beginning on the 2X:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

It was me. Assembly beginning on the 2X:

Nice! Just bought the STLs for the 1X. It'll get a pixhawk and possibly also an airsoft gun.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

What material did you use for the tracks? I'm thinking either nylon or a hard-ish TPU would make them more quiet (and stronger)

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I did the whole thing in PETG. That’s what I used for the 1X and it was very strong.

The tracks are loud af on a hard surface, but that’s not really a consideration for me on this project.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I have owned a DJI Phantom which I enjoyed for taking cool photos and video, but I'm totally new to FPV stuff.

I just got this, because I am incapable of rolling my own right now: https://www.getfpv.com/newbeedrone-acrobee-lite-rtf-kit.html

It's the funnest goddamn thing I've ever owned.

I feel like this is a rabbit hole...

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

pzy posted:

I feel like this is a rabbit hole...

Yes.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I did the whole thing in PETG. That’s what I used for the 1X and it was very strong.

The tracks are loud af on a hard surface, but that’s not really a consideration for me on this project.

What motors did you use for your 1X? Brushed motors is a completely new thing for me. Looking at getting the Hobbywing Dual Brushed ESC and then some 21T 540 motors from Banggood.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

What motors did you use for your 1X? Brushed motors is a completely new thing for me. Looking at getting the Hobbywing Dual Brushed ESC and then some 21T 540 motors from Banggood.

I used some old mabuchi/tamiya silver cans and ran it on 3S, which is a pretty fast combo. Similar to these: https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-300053689-540-J-Motor/dp/B00061HFYC/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=mabuchi+540&qid=1578444826&sr=8-7

I think I used the same ESC.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Is there a reason you'd run those brushed instead of in(or better yet out)runners?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It's what seems most commonly used ?. It's fairly cheap too. Especially the waterproof brushed ESC's.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Yea generally it's just a cheap combo that works well.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
No, I'm not looking at parts for building a toothpick while waiting for my Mobula6 to arrive after flying 4 packs on my 5" today...

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

I haven't really had time to fly this 95mm 3S during the few warm days recently, but it has a RunCam split nano crammed in there and records decent 1080p video. All just parts from banggood, can post a list after I actually configure it and make sure it doesn't suck. Pretty sure I saw mention of a half pound limit on the recently proposed regulations, so this would avoid all that ID nonsense right?

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

sleppy posted:

I haven't really had time to fly this 95mm 3S during the few warm days recently, but it has a RunCam split nano crammed in there and records decent 1080p video.

Would love to see some flight footage. Those 5-bladed props are wild. I've been thinking about building a fully ducted cinewhoop with a GoPro mount, but if that can really do decent 1080p I might just do that instead.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

sleppy posted:

Pretty sure I saw mention of a half pound limit on the recently proposed regulations, so this would avoid all that ID nonsense right?

IIRC, you would only be able to fly it at a registered community flying field and no greater than 400 feet away within visual line of sight (no clear exemption for having a spotter, but not explicitly denying FPV flight).

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

I'll try to get some this week, been tinkering with other projects. I fell into the hobby super hard and sort of burnt myself out putting this little guy together after a super easy 5" build. I liked my Mobula7 a lot and don't care about high quality footage, so I wanted to try something in between. It goes RunCam on bottom, ESC in the middle, then FC on top, all with juuuuust enough clearance and in basically the only orientations that could possibly work while still accessing ports. I'm a little worried about heat dissipation since this is only my second RC build and things warm up even without the motors pushing hard, but I was determined to get this to work with the single round of parts I waited months for. There aren't really any gaps to attach a battery strap so I'm going to have to 3D print some bottom mount that can use the screws or maybe work with some elastic. It could definitely be improved with a better frame that doesn't look as cool, but I was mostly happy to see that everything came out so light and compact with the split. I got everything set up enough for it to fly with a taped on battery, and called it a day after a few minutes of cautious, wonky flight. It definitely had some punch, but I was afraid to fling it around because of the battery situation.

Batteries: https://www.banggood.com/3Pcs-ZOP-Power-11_1V-550mAh-70C-3S-Lipo-Battery-with-JST-XT30-Plug-For-Eachine-Lizard95-FPV-Racer-p-1348862.html
Receiver: https://www.banggood.com/Frsky-XM-Micro-D16-SBUS-Full-Range-Mini-Receiver-Up-to-16CH-for-RC-FPV-Racing-Drone-p-1110020.html
RunCam Split Nano: https://www.banggood.com/RunCam-Spl...-p-1528561.html
Transmitter: https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-NA...-p-1525228.html
Frame: https://www.banggood.com/SPC-95GF-95mm-Wheelbase-3mm-Arm-3K-Carbon-Fiber-FPV-Racing-Drone-Frame-Kit-16g-p-1212585.html
Props: https://www.banggood.com/5-Pairs-Eachine-Lizard95-FPV-Racer-Spare-Part-2035-2x3_5x5-50_8mm-5-Blade-CW-CCW-Propeller-p-1146269.html
Motors: https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Lizard95-FPV-Racer-Spare-Part-1104-6000KV-1-3S-Brushless-Motor-for-RC-Drone-FPV-Racing-p-1150341.html
FC/ESC Combo: https://www.banggood.com/MAMBA-F405-Mini-MK2-Betaflight-Flight-Controller-F25-20A-3-4S-DSHOT600-FPV-Racing-Brushless-ESC-p-1345002.html

There also appears to be a whoop size split, rather than a nano.

sleppy fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 8, 2020

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's what seems most commonly used ?. It's fairly cheap too. Especially the waterproof brushed ESC's.

Yea generally it's just a cheap combo that works well.

makes sense, ty

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Is part of the fun of the hobby collecting photos of places a quad is but a quad should not be?

Plenty of room to shoot this ga... ARGH MOSSNET

Spent 5 minutes standing next to this boardwalk trying to figure out where I crashed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
is this thread aerial RC only or are there any weird degenerates who also gently caress around w tethered ROV submersible stuff