Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Friends Are Evil posted:

Growltiger only gets like 5 lines

yeah but just imagine the possibilities

can't you just see the movie completely grinding to a halt as a digitally de-aged + heavily CGI'd Ian McKellen has an overly long swordfight with ethnic caricatures straight out of a 1940s film reel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

caligulamprey posted:

I will upgrade to 4K for this.

it's gonna be like the end of In the Mouth of Madness

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Puppy Galaxy posted:

just saw this and although I saw a bunch of twitter posts about this movie I was not prepared. Why is there a train cat

Skimbleshanks is my favorite part of this whole thing.

Every other cat is somehow related to what's going on. Early on the crew is being shown to Victoria, so non-sequiturs like Jennyanydots and Bustopher Jones work, and their songs are pretty low key and goofy. The bigger, more bombastic songs are devoted to cats who have something to do with what I'll generously call the plot.

And then there's Skimbleshanks. He has gently caress-all to do with anything else, he doesn't really interact with anyone else, and yet his song has all the bombast and enthusiasm of an entire town gathering in front of City Hall to sing about the glory of Santa Claus at the end of a Christmas movie.

Everyone seems to absolutely adore this one random loving guy, and it rules.

Also,

weekly font posted:

I think my ironic enjoyment of this movie has crossed fully over into genuine appreciation for it after my second viewing. I'm so happy it exists in an age where every movie is safe, studio micro-managed and focus grouped.

Also, Beautiful Ghosts is a legitimately great song.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I also enjoyed that during the big escape sequence he just tap dances at someone and somehow wins

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

God, I'm so jealous... nothing like this happened when I went, just a family with young kids and some bewildered old people. This movie shoulda come out when I was in college...

Yeah, I thought it was kinda great; has a good "theater kids putting on their first show" energy, and you can't say it's safe. Shrine to Tom Hooper's hubris though it may be, I can't remember a film this year that is a more singular, original vision than this. And I kinda loved it for that; this is the kind of thing a man like Hooper should be doing.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Cats is to its core as sincere as it is genuinely very, very fuckin' weird. There's been nothing like it before and good lord, there will never be anything like it ever again. In a cinematic landscape where people keep saying there isn't a single new idea in Hollywood and how the Disney machine has decimated any sort of individuality in film, Cats crawls up from the depths and assures you of the magic and possibilities of the movies. Hold it close to your heart and never let it go.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 27, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I also enjoyed that during the big escape sequence he just tap dances at someone and somehow wins

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well, just watched it. I wouldn't say it's good but I enjoyed myself and now I'm probably going to check out the 1998 version to see how it compares.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

YggiDee posted:

Well, just watched it. I wouldn't say it's good but I enjoyed myself and now I'm probably going to check out the 1998 version to see how it compares.

Gus is better with the song performed largely about him, not by him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCFZgLWdjFI

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

YggiDee posted:

Were you on substances

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
No, I'm too square.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
perplexed

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm a simple woman, I like singin', I like dancin', I like cats.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

YggiDee posted:

I'm a simple woman, I like singin', I like dancin', I like cats.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

LGD posted:

yeah but just imagine the possibilities

can't you just see the movie completely grinding to a halt as a digitally de-aged + heavily CGI'd Ian McKellen has an overly long swordfight with ethnic caricatures straight out of a 1940s film reel?

But Ray Winstone is Growltiger

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Just saw it. Probably the most uncomfortably horny movie I have ever seen.

Also weirded out by the choice to have Macavity lose the coat at the ball, it makes him feel more naked than the other cats, which makes it even more weird and horny.

That said, better than Star Wars.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think the idea with Grizabella is she's "the fallen woman", Norma Desmond type, that poo poo was already getting old when this premiered but now it feels very out of place.

Bear in mind that I have never seen any version of Cats all the way through.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The mention she went with Macavity makes me think she did a bunch of cat war crimes or something but wasn't scary enough to still be respected for it.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i thought "she went with macavity" meant that she made love to him in the manner of the cats

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i cannot express how uncomfortable the word "jellicle" makes me. it sounds nothing like a cat word, and it makes me think of icicles and of jelly, neither of which are classically sexual words but in this context the old rules of classic sexuality no longer apply

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

we have broken new ground. 21st century sexuality is upon us, and in the words of bob dylan, i better start swimming or i'll sink like a stone

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

fauna posted:

i cannot express how uncomfortable the word "jellicle" makes me. it sounds nothing like a cat word, and it makes me think of icicles and of jelly, neither of which are classically sexual words but in this context the old rules of classic sexuality no longer apply

I was hearing genital, jellicle, jericho and about 6 other things throughout the movie until I went home and looked it up and still didn't really get it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Like a huge part of the... thing about Cats is it's taking the poetry of an American modernist poet who was feeling whimsical and playful and filtering it through an early 80s Broadway/West End mentality. It's taking Eliot's weird little turns of phrase and taking them extremely seriously.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

It's better than Pollicle dogs

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The language in Cats isn't really much stranger than Alice in Wonderland (and it only has slightly less structure), the original poems just never got a classic Disney cartoon to ease people into that particular brand of bullshit.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1210019019371302912

the word ghosts is really awkward when sung. Especially the sts part ghosstttsss

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

fauna posted:

i thought "she went with macavity" meant that she made love to him in the manner of the cats

ah that's why everyone knows. cause theyre Loud

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

fauna posted:

I've always assumed it's a reference to evangelical, since the play revolves around the cats weird reincarnation beliefs and rituals.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
it means "dear little". yeah it's a poem thing.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

does poofing into dust mean they die?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Eliot’s godchildren couldn’t pronounce ‘dear little’ and said ‘jellicle’ instead. Then their poet/bank manager godfather wrote them some cat poems and now Universal has made a 100 million dollar (with rumours from The Guardian that it actually cost 300 million) movie.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I haven't seen it, but I found this review, and I'm somewhat more afraid that I might somehow get exposed to it.

"Tyler Smith posted:

The nightmare ends with grandiose pretensions of profundity, and, as we emerge back into the normal world, we puzzle over what we have just witnessed. A surreal circus of man-animals whose insane musical ramblings frequently cross the line into the realm of madness, but somehow still managed to ensnare us, against all odds and our own best efforts.

And so we go back to our lives and loved ones, trying to outrun the memory of Tom Hooper’s Cats. But not just the memory; the knowledge. The crushing, mocking knowledge that we did not react with complete abhorrence to the ill-conceived abomination that we were briefly a part of.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Writing about Cats is going to create a Pontypool

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ccs posted:

Eliot’s godchildren couldn’t pronounce ‘dear little’ and said ‘jellicle’ instead. Then their poet/bank manager godfather wrote them some cat poems and now Universal has made a 100 million dollar (with rumours from The Guardian that it actually cost 300 million) movie.

They're certainly folding in the cost of aborted Cats adaptations.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I'm not sure what people expected from cats. Like it was definitely weirdly erotic in a way even the stage show isn't, and there's technical glitches and bad editing and set design. But like, I feel like a lot of these complaints centre on the plot, which is just Cats. Like that's what you get.

E: seriously thinking of getting Macavity as my av. Who doesn't like Furry Idris Elba.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

This was legit one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen and I will never ever forget it. I laughed so hard I cried when Ian Mckellen was meowing and hissing.

I'm just sad its making no money because we will never get a Starlight Express movie

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

The Little Death posted:

I'm not sure what people expected from cats. Like it was definitely weirdly erotic in a way even the stage show isn't, and there's technical glitches and bad editing and set design. But like, I feel like a lot of these complaints centre on the plot, which is just Cats. Like that's what you get.

E: seriously thinking of getting Macavity as my av. Who doesn't like Furry Idris Elba.

What I'm guessing people were expecting of Cats was a roughly 45-55 Metacritic score and some low effort reviews with cat puns in the title that would all be forgotten about by the end of January and not... this. This is some next-level poo poo, like one of those legit moments that only happens once every few years. Something that's not only bad but also deeply weird and uncomfortable to watch, to the point where you legit have to wonder what the goddamn hell everyone involved in its production was thinking.

I have a feeling people are going to be talking about Cats for years to come, just not in the way the studio intended. What a way to send off 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

This is absolutely going to become a cult classic bad movie. It's unbelievably weird but also 100% sincere.