Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Vomik posted:

too bad everyone ran off the quantum math c++ library guy. I am sure he would have had some great informative posts here

o gently caress I forgot about this guy lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

why are you replacing server gear with consumer grade garbage?

ten year old dell server:

- slow
- very large, only fits four drives
- loud
- annoying case layout
- uses a lot of power

consumer "garbage":

- twice as fast
- smaller, fits ten drives
- silent
- nice case layout
- 20w tdp

small business servers are just normal pcs but louder and heavier

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

who is better in tdp these days and what even are the current generations of parts I don't know what anything is I haven't paid attention in half a decade

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Buy a current AMD Ryzen

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Bloody posted:

who is better in tdp these days and what even are the current generations of parts I don't know what anything is I haven't paid attention in half a decade

a friend pointed me at https://www.logicalincrements.com and i love the format (not that i have another reference point for its accuracy)

might have to build a new machine if my current one isn't up to snuff for doom eternal, which why not since it's been >5yrs since i've upgraded anything

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

silence_kit posted:

This is kind of true, but is often overstated, IMO. To understand the physical theory for why semiconductors are semiconductors, yes, you need to be quantum mechanical, but semiconductor electronics isn't really that quantum mechanical. The main physics of transistors is just normal physics.

I don't know if the following explanation will be helpful, but:

The isolated piece of metal Jabor is talking about is the bottom plate of a capacitor. You apply a large voltage to the top plate of this capacitor with an electrical insulator separating the top plate and bottom plate. This large voltage effectively thins this insulator which usually prevents electricity from traveling from the top plate to the and bottom plate of the capacitor, and then electrons can now travel through the temporarily 'effectively thinned' insulator layer from the top plate to the bottom plate.

The process of the electrons traveling through the insulator is forbidden/disallowed by laws of normal physics, for the same reason why human beings cannot walk through walls, but in quantum mechanics it can happen with a very high probability if the insulator/wall is sufficiently 'effectively thin'.

The bottom plate of this capacitor is connected to the input of a transistor, which is essentially a charge sensing device which detects if a sufficient number of electrons have made it to the bottom plate of this capacitor. When a memory read is performed, the memory circuit then reads out from the transistor output whether a sufficient number of electrons have been introduced to the bottom plate of the capacitor.

this helped and now i get it, thank.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

psiox posted:

a friend pointed me at https://www.logicalincrements.com and i love the format (not that i have another reference point for its accuracy)

might have to build a new machine if my current one isn't up to snuff for doom eternal, which why not since it's been >5yrs since i've upgraded anything

it deeply annoys me that every tier, including the ridiculously expensive ones, think you should get a spinny harddrive and an intel 660p nvme ssd.

the 660p is great, but it is great because it is incredibly cheap (less than a hundred bucks a terabyte), making a spinny harddrive for storage unnecessary if you're willing to spend a very modest bit of extra money. but its obviously then also one of the slowest nvme ssd's, so it makes no sense whatsoever not to get something faster if you're spending the kind of money the lower half of the table suggests.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
threadripper more like pants shitter

i mean pants ripper

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

threadripper more like pants shitter

i mean pants ripper

nerf this! *faaaart*

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
so i should buy an amd processor at the store today over an intel?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
maybe. what are you going to do with it?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i really do hope that amd does manage to kill off reserving ecc as a "pro" feature. intel is bound to find a way to overprice the xeon line again, but it'd be real nice to have ecc trickle into the mainstream. if nothing else to make rowhammer-style attacks a bit harder.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i have no idea what people are doing buying 32gb+ memory densities without ecc.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

infernal machines posted:

maybe. what are you going to do with it?

lots of heavy duty excel and the occasion video game from years ago.

mostly dual screen shitposting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

dollar for dollar intel is faster for anything that isn't heavily multi-threaded, so unless you need 16 cores for excel, you're probably better off with an i5 than the equivalent priced ryzen

that said, go buy whatever

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

because nothing I do really matters ??

Mr. Nice! posted:

lots of heavy duty excel and the occasion video game from years ago.

mostly dual screen shitposting

get the threads!!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
think about your sick benchmarka

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

have you ever run into a situation where ecc ram would have saved whatever you were working on?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

possibly, that's kinda hard to know for sure. if you're several hours into a render and autocad just shits itself randomly, and it doesn't do that when using ecc, i'm going to say that's ecc saving what you're working on

i've had clients doing mech eng and architectural stuff complain like crazy about that sort of thing with larger jobs, somehow it stopped when they finally started to spring for xeons w/ecc when going above 16gb of ram

the higher the module density, the more likely you are to get bitflips

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 22, 2019

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
ended up buying amd because of overall mobo/cpu pricing. so far so good. rock solid. heart touching.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

i have no idea what people are doing buying 256mb+ memory densities without ecc.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

do amds still have that poo poo where you need a burner cpu just to update the bios so that your regular cpu will work

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

haha what

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

do amds still have that poo poo where you need a burner cpu just to update the bios so that your regular cpu will work

if you get a motherboard with a bios predating the cpu generation you want to install yeah. manufacturers tend to be pretty quick (knowing this), but the only way to be 100% sure tends to be to buy a motherboard with the same gen chipset as your cpu.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

akadajet posted:

have you ever run into a situation where ecc ram would have saved whatever you were working on?

yes

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Progressive JPEG posted:

not really just look for a board that says is ryzen 3 compatible and you're good to go. plenty of b450 boards that have updated bios on them are available

e: https://www.newegg.com/msi-b450-a-pro-max/p/N82E16813144268?Item=N82E16813144268 I got that for like $80. Rock solid, heart touching, bios interface is a loving mess.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

that happens on intel too though

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

a fair number of boards are now supporting chipless flashing where you just throw in a usb key and it pulls the rom off that, because of this problem.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

yah that problem is not unique to amd

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

dads friend steve posted:

yah that problem is not unique to amd

intel tends to switch sockets making the motherboard overtly incompatible. a bit of a thunderbolt situation where the socket reuse is in principle good, but thoroughly confusing as it is hard to tell what supports what (notably the "ryzen 3000 compatible" has been misapplied to motherboards not yet updated a lot, usual substituting according to a fixed article number).

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
flashing the bios on my new motherboard from usb took like a couple of minutes and was no trouble at all. total non-issue imo.

obvs a lot of idiots on reddit were whining about it being too hard when zen2 first came out but what do you expect

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

why did asus get rid of “rock solid. heart touching”? p good slogan

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it's now "danger! danger! i live for this poo poo"

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

ASUS has an unyielding commitment to innovation and quality, a fact borne out by its corporate slogan—"Inspiring Innovation • Persistent Perfection"—and the numerous media, industry and governmental accolades it receives every year.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

asus lost the trademark suit because the slogan was being confused with my katana

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

ya i dunno its v good

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772860

if you bought amd stock on april 22nd 2016 (1201% up since then) on my investment advice please remember to pay my 3% advisory fee before the end of the year thanks

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
more cores achieved

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I’m the magny-cours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy