Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i dont actually play any of the games that i own lol

doing dumb poo poo on my computers for no reason IS the game for me now :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

KillHour posted:

They'll never do that. 95% of people buying Threadrippers are people buying them for productivity tasks. Those people aren't going for OC world records and running a few degrees cooler isn't going to make enough of a difference to be worth the effort. My 3950x never goes over 50 in any of the loads I regularly put on it anyways.

Exactly. I didn't buy my 3900s to do stunts for the internet, to win e-peen contests, or to smugly idle within microdegrees of ambient temperature. I bought them run at 100% load, 24/7. The room they're in is currently 77F/25C, and the CPU temps look like this:
code:
node01
Tdie:         +56.0 C  (high = +70.0 C)
node02
Tdie:         +61.2 C  (high = +70.0 C)
node03
Tdie:         +61.2 C  (high = +70.0 C)
node04
Tdie:         +56.2 C  (high = +70.0 C)
And that's perfectly fine. I don't want the added fragility of not having an IHS, and I don't want the added expense of an aftermarket cooler.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Most of my life revolves around smugly idling tbqh

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I wouldn’t want a bare die MCM tbh, too much of a pain to get good mounting pressure across all the dies and such.

For monolithic, bare die forever. T-bred Athlon days are back baby.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

KillHour posted:

Those people aren't going for OC world records and running a few degrees cooler isn't going to make enough of a difference to be worth the effort.

Looking at how blinged out the TR boards are, I wouldn't be surprised if people would be all over a GAMER XTREME TR.

Cygni posted:

I wouldn’t want a bare die MCM tbh, too much of a pain to get good mounting pressure across all the dies and such.

But this.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I always have the urge to spend money on a new PC but then I remember the most intensive game I play is Stardew Valley it maybe Baldurs Gate so it’s really not worth it and my laptops do just fine

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Statutory Ape posted:

Most of my life revolves around smugly idling tbqh

This should be threat title.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Interesting Christmas sales stuff goin on locally. A 3800x is now only about 10 USD more expensive than the 3700x.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Dr. Thunderbolt, Or: How I learned to stop the legalese and learn to love Titan Ridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59svND1ZtXI

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I have the Titan Ridge hooked up to a Gigabyte TRX40 board. It’s still finicky with an eGPU - I need to warm boot Ubuntu sometimes to get it to recognize it so it’s not a perfect solution

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Cygni posted:

Anyone else remember the Thermaltake Orb heatsink and how its twist on mounting would destroy Athlons?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Shims, bruh.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Wiseblood posted:

Anyone else remember the Thermaltake Orb heatsink and how its twist on mounting would destroy Athlons?

Hell ya. First one (t-bird) I got scared and didn't tighten enough and let the magic smoke out. Second worked fine for three years with rounded corners. Thank god I worked returns at Fry's when I built that PC.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

monsterzero posted:

Hell ya. First one (t-bird) I got scared and didn't tighten enough and let the magic smoke out. Second worked fine for three years with rounded corners. Thank god I worked returns at Fry's when I built that PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoXRHexGIok

Intel: :greenangel:
AMD: :kingsley:

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
my mom is visiting for the holidays and brought a dope as Tyan AMD Opteron tote bag that has to be ca. 2005 when I built my Athlon 64 3500+ gaming PC. I am absolutely stealing it.

gently caress off socket 939

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Check out the southbridge on that goons mom

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

What an absolute classic. Has anyone done this again since with several CPUs?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Yeeess. When the thermometer read 370C I legit laughed out loud.

HalloKitty posted:

What an absolute classic. Has anyone done this again since with several CPUs?

Anything newer than the AMD chips in that video would just shut down- I keep telling friends that PC building is easy these days. In 2000 you had to strap a block of aluminum to a bare die and if you didn't get it right and flat the CPU could burn up before you made it into BIOS. And the heatsink installation usually required you to put your body weight into a flat blade screwdriver that would core your mobo if you slipped.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It got a lot easier for me in 2001 with the alpha 8045. A :sicknasty: cooler + mounting method.

E - looks like swiftech used screw mount before that.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 26, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

monsterzero posted:

Yeeess. When the thermometer read 370C I legit laughed out loud.

Anything newer than the AMD chips in that video would just shut down- I keep telling friends that PC building is easy these days. In 2000 you had to strap a block of aluminum to a bare die and if you didn't get it right and flat the CPU could burn up before you made it into BIOS. And the heatsink installation usually required you to put your body weight into a flat blade screwdriver that would core your mobo if you slipped.

I built my first PC in 1995 and the AT motherboard connector wasn't even keyed back then, lots of fun if you hosed that up.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I actually spent more time setting up my current desktop than any previous desktop I've ever assembled. Cable routing is a much more pleasant rabbit hole though.

Also an awkward several minutes where I had to google images of a 3600 since my "golden triangle" is just a little faded outline.

When asked family members have remarked it looks like the components are just floating midair so that's cool.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Butt posted:

I built my first PC in 1995 and the AT motherboard connector wasn't even keyed back then, lots of fun if you hosed that up.

On a related note.. a few years down the road. Dell would often use power supplies that appeared at first glance to be ATX standard; the form factor and connectors where the same. Except the motherboard connector was a completely different pinout from standard. Using the Dell power supply on a regular mobo would cause fun things to happen.. Conversely replacing a failed Dell supply with a regular ATX supply would do the same to your Dell motherboard.

https://www.smps.us/power-connectors.html shows the differences. A lot of the COM and voltage rails are switched around.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

stevewm posted:

On a related note.. a few years down the road. Dell would often use power supplies that appeared at first glance to be ATX standard; the form factor and connectors where the same. Except the motherboard connector was a completely different pinout from standard. Using the Dell power supply on a regular mobo would cause fun things to happen.. Conversely replacing a failed Dell supply with a regular ATX supply would do the same to your Dell motherboard.

https://www.smps.us/power-connectors.html shows the differences. A lot of the COM and voltage rails are switched around.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

hahaha! "Cloud To Butt" strikes again.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/butt-to-butt-plus/apmlngnhgbnjpajelfkmabhkfapgnoai?hl=en

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BRB, changing my username to "the cloud"

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

dad is this malware

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:yaybutt:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I'm so used to seeing it, I forgot I even have that extension enabled.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I like big clouds and I can not lie

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Statutory Ape posted:

I like big clouds and I can not lie

We get it, you vape.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Is there anything fun I can do with a left over Wraith cooler? Is it worth scrap? Only good for a weird paperweight?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The other day I wanted a big chunk of aluminum or copper and regretted getting rid of some coolers.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
You could sell it. Getting money is fun.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Fabulousity posted:

Is there anything fun I can do with a left over Wraith cooler? Is it worth scrap? Only good for a weird paperweight?

It's louder than your mom, so keep it around to drown her out.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Howard Phillips posted:

It's louder than your mom, so keep it around to drown her out.

Something something, your sister, something something, GeForce FX 5800 Ultra comparison, something, jet engines and suck.

I got nothing. :shrug:

Paperweight it is.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Your sister is a lot like VIA motherboards, they both just barely function after a new 4-in-1 every couple months

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I was bored so I've been messing around with voltage and PBO settings and stuff on my 3700x and I have to say, I'm so confused. How does a -120mV undervolt give me all-core clocks 100+ mhz higher, temps 10-15c lower, but benchmark almost 20% slower in Cinebench? Nothing I have thrown at it has produced any kind of crashing or hash failures or WHEA errors or anything like that, but obviously something is having trouble to lose that much performance. What is going on here? Just tripping some kind of error correction which doesn't seem to get reported anywhere and without any readily apparent effects?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
You'll lose your mind if you go down the rabbithole of trusting anything you set in shaky AMD partner BIOSes, and relying on false clock/temp readouts.
Overdrive also bad.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Lowclock posted:

I was bored so I've been messing around with voltage and PBO settings and stuff on my 3700x and I have to say, I'm so confused. How does a -120mV undervolt give me all-core clocks 100+ mhz higher, temps 10-15c lower, but benchmark almost 20% slower in Cinebench? Nothing I have thrown at it has produced any kind of crashing or hash failures or WHEA errors or anything like that, but obviously something is having trouble to lose that much performance. What is going on here? Just tripping some kind of error correction which doesn't seem to get reported anywhere and without any readily apparent effects?

There's a concept called "clock stretching" where if the power integrity circuitry thinks things are starting to get unstable it'll automatically pull down clocks a little bit to prevent data errors. It does this through an internal clock multiplier thing that you more or less can't externally check for (afaik), the normal main oscillator keeps going and this stretching gets added to it internally. It's kind of like some of those early timer bugs on zen1, effectively you're not getting 0.5% more score, the wall clock is measuring 1.005 seconds worth of work.

As you pull your voltage down, internally the cores are starting to panic that the voltage is getting closer to threshold, and starting to stretch the clocks. So you're triggering this stability defense mechanism.

It has nominally been in AMD's chips since Steamroller. I've never heard of it being super prominent before Zen2 though.

Ideally it seems like it would be nice to give some cpu register that returns the highest clock stretch factor over the last second, or something else to let people monitor and tune for. But overall this is a good thing, it means your chip doesn't crash as abruptly when you are getting close to the OC limit. It's better to try and prevent a few errors by slowing the clocks a bit situationally, than to just let it blow up and hard-crash.

This power management circuitry is practically a necessary one on 7nm and below AFAIK, power conditioning and management is now a serious consideration since the transistors operate so close to threshold voltage. SemiEng has written a fair bit about it.

https://semiengineering.com/new-power-concerns-at-107nm/

https://semiengineering.com/power-delivery-affecting-performance-at-7nm/

My interpretation: more or less, power management is moving to the core itself, so it doesn't locally brown itself out.

Basically a combination of the thermal density making it extremely spiky at a local level as things switch on and off. Transistors switch slower as you get them hotter, and on 7nm your core voltage is so close to the point it doesn't switch the transistor in time, and the core voltage itself varies as different units in the CPU fire and pull the voltage down. So you are trying to aim at a moving threshold with a moving supply voltage, and trying to maximize performance while managing temperatures and power use (which both feed back). And the design requirements on 7nm and below are more or less so tight that you can't just do some "well this should work" setting and have it actually work. And if you speed up one part of the core and pull a bunch more power in that area, you could droop another area past its point of stability. The design requirements are more or less unsolvable for "reasonable" clocks that you would actually want to clock processors at, without some kind of active management.

So basically nowadays the core will more or less just have to watch if it's starting to brown out, and do something to bring power under control. Conceptually that's something like stalling some units (eg push them back on the execution unit scoreboard somehow) or stretch clocks. That way you can relax the design requirements to some reasonable level and not have to worry about the prime95 case where someone is torturing the power-heavy execution units. Ideally you would do that 1% or 0.1% of the time, not to the point where things are regularly stalling out.

Think of it like Pascal and Vega in the GPU space - they have their own internal power management stuff that sometimes gives non-intuitive behaviors. I have heard of this specific behavior on both Pascal and Vega - the actual scores "get worse" when you push the clocks past a certain point, or if you push the boost controller out of "reasonable" values (eg super low shunt measurements). It's not a coincidence that AMD tried it out with Zen and Vega and NVIDIA tried it out with Pascal, they knew for a long time that it would be problematic on 7nm.

These boost systems are waaaayyyy smarter than they ever used to be, because boost is now built into the chip itself. But in turn that also means that in a lot of cases, it's best to try and tune it by twiddling inputs to the existing boost algorithm rather than trying and using one fixed setting. Zen2 is the same as Pascal/Vega - the solution is to undervolt to let the chip have more headroom to boost, then twiddle the clocks to whatever's stable, and OC memory as far as you can.

If this whole scheme of voltage manament sounds insane, yes it is. <=7nm computer chips are truly the most complicated thing humanity has ever produced. Making atomic-scale lithography (hundreds of atoms) with blasts of soft xray generated by hitting exotic chemicals with pulse lasers... and then you have to make it boot. At this level of lithography, "digital" logic is intensely analog.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

As one of my profs used to say, there isn’t analog and digital, there’s just analog and really really fast analog. The design of high-performance caches and other SRAMs are fascinating.

I wonder if anyone was foreseeing the tight integration of power management and basically playing the game around a control loop to keep voltage above BOR levels as a significant area of investment.

movax fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 27, 2019