Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Nitrox posted:

I hear more people are going to see Cats because of the disaster that it is, than actual fans

Is it bad enough to hate watch? Like I know it’s bad, but it needs to be the right kind of bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Remember that mobile game ad I posted earlier. There's a worst version: https://www.facebook.com/kissofwaronline/videos/2617154878513627/

HOLY gently caress posted:

Is it bad enough to hate watch? Like I know it’s bad, but it needs to be the right kind of bad.

This is text from an actual review.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
It should be noted that even if all the hate-watchers bought 5 tickets it would still be a fin failure.

(which is why everyone should buy 6)

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

You don't release a movie on the same weekend as Star Wars unless you are hoping nobody notices it.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

It should be noted that even if all the hate-watchers bought 5 tickets it would still be a fin failure.

(which is why everyone should buy 6)

Everyone can have little a Cats, as a treat.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Bobby Digital posted:

Everyone can have little a Cats, as a punishment.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

wow

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's super amazing, go see it asap

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Oh god

Now I have to see it

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
She... she unzips an outer layer of nude cat skin to reveal a clothed cat body? :psyboom:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Olive! posted:

She... she unzips an outer layer of nude cat skin to reveal a clothed cat body? :psyboom:

Just go watch the drat movie because there's weirder poo poo in there than that

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Just be aware that there will be things you can never unsee.

Like the milk orgy bukake scene.

Like Judi Dench laying in a cat bed, lifting her leg like a horny cat to present herself to Ian McKellen, except all genitals have been CGI'd away so there's nothing there even though you are very clearly meant to understand that Dame Judi Dench's cat-vagina is definitely 100% there and she is delighted to be presenting it to the cat who just sang about how he was cool when he was young, but now he's old so is hoping he gets to be the cat who dies.

Or the insanely naked-not-naked Idris Elba, who is introduced by Taylor Swift as a ginger cat before bursting on scene as a completely naked black man, except again all genitals and defining body features have been smoothed away by a weird rippling CGI coating, leaving you with this disturbing liquid humanoid with cat ears. Despite most of the cats not wearing any clothes, he's somehow extra naked, but in a not-naked way from the CGI editing that makes the parts of your brain responsible for interpreting visual input ache.

Also, it should be pointed out that while showing off her human-faced cockroaches, Rebel Wilson randomly eats a bunch of them alive. The creatures that are clearly established during this incredibly long scene as possessing sapience and feelings and a little civilisation of their own. Just eaten alive by the cat who wears cat skin over the clothes she wears over her actual cat skin.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I feel like the one hundred people that actually bought a ticket to Cats and entered the theatre were given a piece of paper with a few bullet points on it and told to go back out into the wild and tell the world just whatever the hell they want to about what they saw as long as they include or at least do not contradict those bullet points, and that is the actual movie.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How did such a bad movie come to have such an expensive cast?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Platystemon posted:

Andrew Lloyd Webber is perhaps the person least capable of making big movies that's nonetheless allowed to make big movies.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Platystemon posted:

Les Mis made 400 million and won a bunch of Oscars

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I remember hearing about Cats back in, what, the 90s? I didn't get it then, but was then a child. As I've grown, and my understanding of the world has expanded and deepened, Cats makes less sense.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Vavrek posted:

I remember hearing about Cats back in, what, the 90s? I didn't get it then, but was then a child. As I've grown, and my understanding of the world has expanded and deepened, Cats makes less sense.
It's a bunch of poems about the different kinds of cats (Your rear end in a top hat cat who doesn't know if he wants to be inside or outside. Your neighbour's rear end in a top hat cat who comes in the window and wrecks your stuff. And so forth). Andrew Lloyd Webber set some of them to music with a framing device for why a bunch of cats are singing about themselves. Then I watched a six meter tall Dame Judy Dench present her androgynous genital area to Sir Ian McKellen and questioned the life choices that led to this moment.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've always avoided Loyd-Webber stuff like the plague, but you're really selling me on this film.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sunswipe posted:

I've always avoided Loyd-Webber stuff like the plague, but you're really selling me on this film.

I love Roger Waters's slam in It's a Miracle

quote:

It's a miracle
We cower in our shelters
With our hands over our ears
Lloyd-Webber's awful stuff

Runs for years and years and years
An earthquake hits the theater
But the operetta lingers
Then the piano lid comes down

And breaks his loving fingers
It's a miracle

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The IMDb user reviews are comedy gold:

"I went home and punched my cat in the face"

"This is what the people in Birdbox saw."

"reminds me of that scene from Jurassic Park where Jeff Goldblum says "You were so preoccupied with whether or not you could, you never bothered to ask if you should."

"We have gone altogether to please our 6 years old daughter: Even she couldn't stand it. Not to mention my wife snuck out at the 15th minute and came back just on the last song. I suspect she has been crying in the toilet."

The list goes on

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Big musicals draw the dual-threat stars out and since the plot is just a series of cats introducing themselves I’m sure no individual needed to make much of a time commitment.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Cats was pretty important for my sister growing up. She loved it and wore out the vhs watching it, and she's pretty excited to go see it with our mom.

I don't know whether I should warn them or stay out of it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Taeke posted:

Cats was pretty important for my sister growing up. She loved it and wore out the vhs watching it, and she's pretty excited to go see it with our mom.

I don't know whether I should warn them or stay out of it.

Always stay out of it, because they're not going to listen to you anyway.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dear God yes. Everyone needs to see it.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Always stay out of it, because they're not going to listen to you anyway.

Nah, if I tell them to wait until they can watch it at home they probably will. We're pretty close and respect each other and all that boring stuff.

I'm just weighing being the good brother and protecting them from a huge disappointment vs. the comedy of their reactions afterwards. There'll be some sweet schadenfreude for sure.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Just show them the reviews

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Taeke posted:

Nah, if I tell them to wait until they can watch it at home they probably will. We're pretty close and respect each other and all that boring stuff.

I'm just weighing being the good brother and protecting them from a huge disappointment vs. the comedy of their reactions afterwards. There'll be some sweet schadenfreude for sure.
Tell them don't wait, go now, before the theater gets the fixed cut because I bet you won't be able to buy the original on DVD.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Sunswipe posted:

I rather like the album Jesus Christ Superstar. Haven't seen either of the movies or a stage production, though, and from the clips I've seen I know I wouldn't be able to take them seriously at all, which may or may not be the point.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Cats: The Reviews The Movie

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm looking forward to the surge in popularity when it's quietly dumped on Netflix, in turn, causing some animated spinoff series to blink into existance 6 months later.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cleretic posted:

Andrew Lloyd Webber is perhaps the person least capable of making big movies that's nonetheless allowed to make big movies.

I like to think everyone got confused and thought they were making Paul F. Tompkins' Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cats as some sort of meta-production.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Taeke posted:

Do not take this experience from them. Let them go in blind.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
They will also leave blind

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cleretic posted:

He didn't make the film, he just made the stage musical. This is someone else's baby.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Honestly, people who like the musical have so far liked the film pretty well.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Splicer posted:

He didn't make the film, he just made the stage musical. This is someone else's baby.

Not entirely. TS Eliot needs to shoulder some of it as well. Without either of them, this movie would never have come into existence to threaten the very foundation of reality itself.

Pick posted:

Honestly, people who like the musical have so far liked the film pretty well.
Yeah, but those are theater people and well, honestly...

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/zackwhittaker/status/1209181621494190080

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It's the reporters fault for plugging mysterious USB devices into their computers.

They could have easily actually been hacked lmao.