Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Green doesn't normally mill other people, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Reik posted:

Green doesn't normally mill other people, right?

Green is the new black. It gets to do whatever it wants whenever it wants and too bad if you don't like it!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I wonder what happens in design and development meetings whenever someone goes “and we’ll make this card... Green!”... like does anyone ever go “Really? Again? Cant we make other cards in other colors good?”

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Osmosisch posted:

They ideally do more than "draw one card in three turns" though.

What most people see:

What Osmosisch sees:

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Osmosisch is not wrong.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Bust Rodd posted:

I wonder what happens in design and development meetings whenever someone goes “and we’ll make this card... Green!”... like does anyone ever go “Really? Again? Cant we make other cards in other colors good?”
I remember you whining over and over about the veil of summer ban

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 26, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

No Wave posted:

I remember you whining over and over about the veil of summer ban

You are remembering wrong, I was and am Pro Veil ban.

I’m the guy who whines about White being the worst color and not being allowed to draw cards because of an arbitrary distinction made by a single guy working at WotC.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Lone Goat posted:

seems fine for limited since it enables Escape for you and disables Escape for your opponent

Imagine playing that on turn 6, milling an Escape card for the opponent, and they just cast their free card on their next turn before the graveyard hate part happens on turn 7.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ShadeofBlue posted:

Osmosisch is not wrong.

He is in the literal sense, the card does more things.

He's not in the evaluation sense, milling 3 cards is not a good thing to do and the other effects are on a delay which drastically reduces their value pretty hard.

It's occupying a weird space as an Escape enabler and answer. I think so many things for two mana is good... in limited, with the right list.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Gray Merchant at uncommon is a cowardly move buy i understand why it had to be done.

Lunch today is a plain bagel toasted with veggie cream cheese. Plus a banana and green yogurt (pineapple flavor)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

why is it Gray Merchant when the card is black

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
He's got problems with ashy skin

(for he is dead, you see)

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

He is in the literal sense, the card does more things.

He's not in the evaluation sense, milling 3 cards is not a good thing to do and the other effects are on a delay which drastically reduces their value pretty hard.

It's occupying a weird space as an Escape enabler and answer. I think so many things for two mana is good... in limited, with the right list.

The fact that it mills both you and your opponent makes me really wary about running it in limited. I could see it being occasionally playable there though. No chance it touches constructed imo.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Grapple with the Past could be too good in a limited format with repeatable Escape engines.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Make a 1UG Saga called In Memory of Oko that creates a Food, elks something, and does his switcheroo thing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It's a testament to how busted Oko was that a Saga that was 1UG verse one food, verse two elk, verse 3 swap would probably be pretty playable.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Lone Goat posted:

it's the mill part that gets the god eternal :ssh:

Fair, I brainfarted on that part.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Kurtofan posted:

i hope titan is going to be a type

It'll be Giant, see Prime Time et al.

E: I too hope they get reprinted, but they won't be.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Because the set symbol is gray now

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

It's a regrowth effect which has always been in greens colour pie.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Wezlar posted:

It's a regrowth effect which has always been in greens colour pie.

Yeah but milling your opponent is absolutely not. I understand it’s what makes the card work, but it’s usually something you do to yourself, like with Worldshaper. Manipulating your opponents library has always been strictly black and blue.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
what about Lammastide Weave, lol

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

suicidesteve posted:

Green is the new black. It gets to do whatever it wants whenever it wants and too bad if you don't like it!

Bust Rodd posted:

After reading it a few weeks ago, I can't get this article out of my head:

The Council of Colors posted:

Mark (Gottlieb) came to me with the idea of a creating a team to monitor the color pie. I wanted to figure out some of the structure, but I liked the idea. I gave my blessing and we discussed the topic during our next weekly design team meeting.

...The next big thing to figure out was who would be responsible for each color. The way we handled it was to have each designer stack rank the colors, with No. 1 being the color they most wanted to represent. The secondary factor was seniority. If two people wanted a color equally, the person who had worked in design the longest got the edge. Here's how it turned out (in order of seniority):

Ken Nagle—Green

If there was any certainty in this process, it was that Ken was going to end up the green mage. For those who might not know, Ken loves green. Ken embodies green. Other designers had interest in green, but none of them matched Ken's interest. In fact, if we had allowed him, Ken's list would have been No. 1 for green and No. 5 for the other four colors. As Ken was also the most senior designer, he essentially had first choice.

Jackie Lee—White

As the newest designer at the time, Jackie had the final pick. Luckily, she had ranked white higher than everyone else and ended up the white mage.

The article also serves as a fascinating look into Mark's opinions on the importance and rigidity of the color pie.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If I read it I know I’ll just get mad. Mark Rosewater is an excellent macro game designer but hearing him talk about modern constructed magic is like listening to my mom talk about memes on Facebook

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My point is, don't get mad at Mark Rosewater. Get mad at Ken Nagle!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

ken nagle is why we have phyrexian mana cards

ken nagle is why we have (or had) gitaxian probe

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Phyrexian Mana is cool and K’rrik, Son of Yawgmoth owns bones so Nagle seems cool to me.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Lmao, I swear to God a few days ago I happened to be thinking of Ken Nagle and I was like "haven't heard anyone bitching about him in a while, I guess he probably moved on or stopped loving things up". Learning that he's still substantially responsible for the shittiness of Magic to this day** is a pretty fitting way to ring out 2019, Magically speaking.

**Technically, extrapolating this from that article isn't rigorously justified, but it fits all the facts like a goddamn glove. Green is making things lovely. Ken Nagle makes things lovely. Ken Nagle has a hardon for green. Ken Nagle is still designing Magic for some reason (the reason is probably that he's all the way up Maro's rear end).

Also lmaoing that in 2016 they still hadn't taken a better profile photo of Nagle than the "Dick Tracy rogues' gallery" one

The Clowner posted:

My point is, don't get mad at Mark Rosewater. Get mad at Ken Nagle!

I'm pretty sure Ken Nagle couldn't do anything without Maro's imprimatur, though. It's perfectly valid to get mad at Maro, if only for enabling.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 27, 2019

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Nagle is a nice guy

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I feel like the whole point of the colour pie is player perception the colours are distinct and roughly balanced, so having this insanely complex rules-based system feels like a bad way to approach that. It feels like it’s separated from what it’s supposed to achieve to the point players are going “this all feels wrong” and people go “ah but it’s not because of this arcane mess of justifications that exists”

Hauki
May 11, 2010

is ken nagle the one who looks like a thumb

edit: image search says yes

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I think it's good that there are specific rules regarding which color can do what. It gives each color a separate identity, and even if the players don't know what those rules are, they result in each color having a different feel. The problem is when market research drives what those rules are is my guess. Green used to be sort of the worst color, but new players really like green, so they kept pushing what green can do, and it went overboard. Like seriously, here's a list of things green has now:

* The biggest creatures
* Arguably all the best creature keywords that aren't flying: trample, vigilance, haste, deathtouch
* Creature removal (wicked wolf, etc)
* Great lifegain options
* Graveyard hate
* Best at destroying artifacts and enchantments
* The only color with mana ramp
* Drawing cards
* Regrowth effects
* Veil of Summer
* Card selection (stirrings, once upon a time)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
man, the game would be so much better if only it was possible to build decks that couldn't [checks notes] remove creatures, or draw cards. that's why i play white weenie in every format

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I mean more that when the rules get rigid enough they start being followed even when players think they feel wrong, when the point of them in the first place was in making it feel like a distinction exists. The notorious Golgari Serra Angel being an example of something the rules say is fine but people say feels wrong.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

In one sense it seems weird to be bitching about Green right now, since Standard's current squad of fun police tend to have green in a supporting role at most, especially compared to the previous couple of months.

But if you look at the other offenders, most of them come down to a small handful of troublemaking cards rather than an entire color's current design ethos. E.g., "black cards" aren't a problem; Cauldron Familiar is a problem (or, alternatively, Witch's Oven is a problem-- and that's not even a black card, of course). If you banned one or both of these, there'd still be a B/x sacrifice deck with some cool synergy, it just wouldn't be the canker sore it currently is. Even blue, which has had its turns at being the format's influenza virus over the past year or two, is mostly okay when relatively specific subthemes like "three-mana planeswalkers" or "Curious Obsession" aren't rearing their heads, or when it isn't getting a boost from other colors, as in Fires of Invention or an injection of flash creatures from (of course) Green.

Green, on the other hand... well, Bonus summed it up pretty well while I was editing this post, so, yeah. All of that.

ungulateman posted:

man, the game would be so much better if only it was possible to build decks that couldn't [checks notes] remove creatures, or draw cards. that's why i play white weenie in every format

It's an honor to meet you, Mr. Wescoe

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

You can't blame the terrible design decisions of the last year and some solely on green or the color pie. Nexus of Fate never should have seen print, certainly not as a buy a box promo. Modern Horizons had a bunch of poo poo that broke the eternal formats, seemingly intentionally given how well pushed Pioneer was as a new format, but it's not like Wrenn and Six or Hogaak being green was why they were busted. Mechanically unique pushed Brawl legends in precons that are standard legal was dumb, but they're three color so it's not that unlikely that Korvold would be the busted one. Oko was an obvious mistake and WotC hasn't given a particularly good explanation for it or Once upon a Time or Veil of Summer existing, but just consider the other

• Stupid mechanically unique buy a box promo to sell the returning Core Set
  • Stupid $10 packs with newly printed cards, heavily and recklessly pushed to sell the Masters replacement product
  • Stupid pushed cards to sell the Brawl precons
  • Just a guess, but maybe the stupid pushed cards in packs are there to....sell packs?

Field of the Dead was a mistake where they just forgot to keep Field of Ruin in print for some stupid reason. Field was fine before rotation, the real problem card in that Scapeshift deck was 3 mana Teferi being real dumb. Oko, Once and Veil just happened to be busted green cards at a time where green was already strong due to other pushed green cards like Hydroid Krasis, Questing Beast and Nissa. It isn't like Oko or Veil or Once would less busted if they'd been printed in Dominaria or whatever, they'd still be broken cards that shouldn't have seen print. The fact that their explanation for Oko is that they didn't use its +1 ability on opposing targets doesn't pass the smell test, so there's gotta be another reason, and maybe that reason is similar to the reasons for all the other unhealthy pushed cards coming out outside of regular standard set booster packs.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Hellsau posted:

You can't blame the terrible design decisions of the last year and some solely on green or the color pie. Nexus of Fate never should have seen print, certainly not as a buy a box promo. Modern Horizons had a bunch of poo poo that broke the eternal formats, seemingly intentionally given how well pushed Pioneer was as a new format, but it's not like Wrenn and Six or Hogaak being green was why they were busted. Mechanically unique pushed Brawl legends in precons that are standard legal was dumb, but they're three color so it's not that unlikely that Korvold would be the busted one. Oko was an obvious mistake and WotC hasn't given a particularly good explanation for it or Once upon a Time or Veil of Summer existing, but just consider the other

• Stupid mechanically unique buy a box promo to sell the returning Core Set
  • Stupid $10 packs with newly printed cards, heavily and recklessly pushed to sell the Masters replacement product
  • Stupid pushed cards to sell the Brawl precons
  • Just a guess, but maybe the stupid pushed cards in packs are there to....sell packs?

Field of the Dead was a mistake where they just forgot to keep Field of Ruin in print for some stupid reason. Field was fine before rotation, the real problem card in that Scapeshift deck was 3 mana Teferi being real dumb. Oko, Once and Veil just happened to be busted green cards at a time where green was already strong due to other pushed green cards like Hydroid Krasis, Questing Beast and Nissa. It isn't like Oko or Veil or Once would less busted if they'd been printed in Dominaria or whatever, they'd still be broken cards that shouldn't have seen print. The fact that their explanation for Oko is that they didn't use its +1 ability on opposing targets doesn't pass the smell test, so there's gotta be another reason, and maybe that reason is similar to the reasons for all the other unhealthy pushed cards coming out outside of regular standard set booster packs.

they're just idiots, friend. they aren't deliberately ruining modern to push frontierpioneer, they're just incredibly stupid about mana discounts

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 27, 2019

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

A big flaming stink posted:

they're just idiots, friend. they aren't deliberately ruining modern to push frontier, they're just incredibly stupid about mana discounts

Speaking of mana discounts and stupidity, with the closet speculation about elspeth and the set after...

Say it with me now, 'Devotion to Phyrexia'.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

"at a time that green happened to be strong" narrows that down to the past what, ten years?

also ken nagles keyword pwnage lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The mill being symmetrical is probably a drawback in this card's format (TBD limited).