Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You may have to create your exception GPO as a Computer policy and use loopback processing to have it work when applied to a user, though there's a performance hit involved and I'd see if any better options come along before doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
Just a reminder if you enable loopback processing it affects all GPOs and not just the one with the loopback setting.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
GPO loopback is the devil. We have one instance that requires it (pooled nonpersistent VDI) and it’s the bane of my existence.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Just curious what everyone's doing with laptops/roaming profiles?

We currently are using redirected folders and once the laptops are off the network there are some serious issues for laptop users as of course their system is looking for their folder redirection.

Are you guys actually even using roaming profiles? Or just local profile and tell users to make sure they save to network drives via VPN?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

OneDrive pretty much solved this for us

The only time we used folder redirection or roaming profiles was in our call center environment, which had no assigned seating

We never did folder redirection for laptop users.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Roaming profiles is dead for us as we just give people laptops, I think if we had shift workers I'd look at VDI before I considered roaming profiles. Windows 10 and the OneDrive known folder redirection covers off the situation where people leave things on their desktop and then lose or break their computers.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Roaming profiles, just don't.

Redirection should be keeping a local copy and a copy on the server, so when you are offnet it shouldn't matter, but when you connect to the network again it updates the server with your new/changed files.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
We’re using folder redirection and UEV (which is causing more issues then it fixes) and in the process of moving everyone to OneDrive known folder redirects. Our VPN has more issues with the DFS-N where the folders live then the redirection itself.

My company is a call center too so we’re having to test OneDrive conditional access before rolling out to them but laptops are definitely a nightmare for any kind of local server based redirection.

One thing to keep in mind if you’re switching from local to OneDrive is the transition will fail if there are any local OneNote files. Don’t know why but it will.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Look into DirectAccess if you can't use OneDrive for all data for some reason.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Don’t you need win10 ent for one drive licensing or is it included in 365 now?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

It’s always been a part of o365

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

DirectAccess needs an Enterprise license, OneDrive is just an Office 365 feature. There might be some features that only work with an E3/E5 plan but I never use the Business-tier subscriptions so I don't know.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thanks. We have old school Office 2016/2019. No 365 and not Ent for OS.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

lol internet. posted:

Just curious what everyone's doing with laptops/roaming profiles?

We currently are using redirected folders and once the laptops are off the network there are some serious issues for laptop users as of course their system is looking for their folder redirection.

Are you guys actually even using roaming profiles? Or just local profile and tell users to make sure they save to network drives via VPN?

My company has the same issue with folder redirection, but only on first sign in. As long as you sync up once on first login the issue generally doesn't return. At one point I knew exactly what the problem was, but that hasn't been my job for long enough that I've entirely forgotten what caused it.

That being said, no roaming profiles. All corporate devices are forced through a VPN, even on campus.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

GreenNight posted:

Thanks. We have old school Office 2016/2019. No 365 and not Ent for OS.

You could setup Always-On VPN, it runs on Win 10 Pro and is about as seamless as DirectAccess. Device tunnels are restricted to the Enterprise SKU but user tunnels have been sufficient in most cases at my company.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

wyoak posted:

You could setup Always-On VPN, it runs on Win 10 Pro and is about as seamless as DirectAccess. Device tunnels are restricted to the Enterprise SKU but user tunnels have been sufficient in most cases at my company.

We use AnyConnect and drives auto map so it's not difficult.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
OK, I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing problems with their Windows Server 2016 systems and long reboots. I can find lot's of general griping about updates being "slow" on 2016 but I'm talking about something that's started happening recently and it's got some pretty narrow symptoms that I can identify. Wondering if I should open a support case.

Basically, if I reboot a Sever 2016 system twice in a relatively short period of time (I've seen it with an hour and a half between reboots) the second reboot will take about an hour to actually happen. It has something to do with the Delta Compression that Windows does for the cumulative updates. The system doesn't actually power off during this hour, and the console just has the helpful "Getting Windows ready Don't turn off your computer" spinner. The machine is still basically on during this time, so our monitoring hasn't caught it. But you can't connect to it with remote desktop and potentially if it's running some services I think they'd be off. But i can connect to the admin share, which is why I can see that the CBS.log file is freaking out with messages like this:
code:
 Current tick count lower than last tick count. [HRESULT = 0x8007000d - ERROR_INVALID_DATA]
Also a lot of this:
code:
2020-01-08 12:20:54, Info                  CSI    00001462 Creating NT transaction (seq 1201), objectname '(null)'
2020-01-08 12:20:54, Info                  CSI    00001463 Created NT transaction (seq 1201) result 0x00000000, handle @0x27a0
2020-01-08 12:20:54, Info                  CSI    00001464@2020/1/8:18:20:54.659 Beginning NT transaction commit...
2020-01-08 12:20:54, Info                  CSI    00001465@2020/1/8:18:20:54.659 CSI perf trace:
CSIPERF:TXCOMMIT;8261
This specific systems appears to still be doing stuff until transaction 200, but the next 1000 of these NT transactions seem to just be nothing. Eventually something will finish and it will click and it'll be done and continue rebooting.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

That's one I would open a support case with MS on. They're going to have the trace tools to figure out what the hell is going on there.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
I have stuck on this issue I'm having with redirected printers remaining in a printer select dialog on a windows 32 bit machine running a 16 bit program (yes, I know... I know. :doh: ). Access is via RDP.
Procexp shows it being NTVDM.exe. I cleared out the printers via GUI, and I pruned anything I could find in the registry. I must be missing something in the registry though, but my Google-Fu hasn't turned up anything else.
Printers in the [print setup...] dialog show up as
code:
PRINTERNAME (redirected 2) on TS0nn
Where TS0nn is some old term services redirect connection. And lastly, no I'm not redirecting my local resources on my RDP. I need to delete about five of the printers in the list. The program can handle 3 or 4 printers, but if a newly added printer is past that slot, it doesn't see or print to it. SMDH.

Ugh. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Devices -- dumb me.
Thanks in advance. :tipshat:

Djimi fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 8, 2020

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

When I ran a terminal server on 2003/2008 with print redirection support years ago, this was just the behavior it had with the print redirect object getting orphaned at disconnect/log-off. Didn't cause a problem with our applications, so we just let that number keep incrementing in to the hundreds. I suspect you're going to need to schedule some manner of cleanup scheduled script to purge them out.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Has anyone received Win7 extended support keys yet, or any info about how they can/need to be deployed? I've got hundreds on order and since it's Win7 I'm fearing that it'll be "dispatch tech," to each one.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

You get an activation exe that you run that makes the system eligible to receive continued updates.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Thanks, we haven't gotten ours yet. That'll be fairly easy to deploy then.

I wonder how it'll work for us, we bought a subset of another business units' larger purchase. Probably have to keep meticulous track of the number. I only had to buy 200 out of maybe 10x that on the order, I think they were expecting to receive a sheet of keys. Oh well, cheaper and easier than getting those machines on 10.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Concerning RDP printing..

After setting up and running multiple RDP farms, I always turn to this: https://www.terminalworks.com/remote-desktop-printing for printing purposes instead of using the built in printer redirection.

It is super easy to setup, has a simple and cheap licensing scheme, and just always works.

Default setup installs a "TSPrint" printer on the server side..(can be renamed) Anything printed to this printer automagically spits out on the client's default printer.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

charity rereg posted:

Thanks, we haven't gotten ours yet. That'll be fairly easy to deploy then.

I wonder how it'll work for us, we bought a subset of another business units' larger purchase. Probably have to keep meticulous track of the number. I only had to buy 200 out of maybe 10x that on the order, I think they were expecting to receive a sheet of keys. Oh well, cheaper and easier than getting those machines on 10.

I may end up managing a thousand or so extended support machines. Hurrah !

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Just curious, for the extended support people, are these machines running programs that require Windows 7, or are these a bunch of office machines for which there's not the organizational inertia to upgrade?

Cheech Marinade
Apr 17, 2002
I've ordered 3 extended support licenses for 3 PCs where we're not going to use a vendor's application after this year. They want $3000 to install their software on each windows 10 box, so we're going to play $50 to Microsoft instead since we're dropping their product anyway.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

ItBreathes posted:

Just curious, for the extended support people, are these machines running programs that require Windows 7, or are these a bunch of office machines for which there's not the organizational inertia to upgrade?

Column A, Column B

Of our 200 ~90 or so are clinical devices and our $13,000/unit x-ray sensors don't work well in Windows 10. In order to not segment the clinical environment we're leaving every computer in that silo on Win7. Providers do not like technical change, and they will freak at a split environment, and we're mid school year so will keep it homogeneous for the students. We're also changing a lot of how that area operates so they'll be getting new SSDs and more RAM in the summer, so we'll just get them all at once in a weekend project. Or not, it's stupid cheap for us, even if it doubled in cost.

A few of them are lab machines attached to equipment, one of which costs $75,000 to upgrade the license to Windows 10 (!!)

The remaining we just didn't have time to get to. They're either due for a hardware refresh and the time wasn't there, or the machines are fine or we just didn't hit - we're a tiny team for such a large school and one of my techs was on maternity from Oct -> Next Tue. Dell also cannot ship Intel systems with any reliability right now due to the chip shortage, so that really nailed us as well. I just got an order I placed on 11/21 on Jan 3rd. 100% of our administration, finance, financial aid, etc. folks are migrated. It's just research labs, clinical PCs, and some admin folks in the labs area.

It was $11 a key for us, so we did some math and realize it would cost less than 2 new Optiplexes (not to mention the needed OT) to just buy a bunch of keys and give the project a very long tail. It also lets us split the cost across 2 years' budget (our fiscal is 6/31)

medical + higher education is probably the worst combination of fields.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 9, 2020

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I really thought it would have been more expensive than that.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Year 1 is going to run $10-15 a seat in education, I heard private sector is closer to 40. Those prices will rises sharply on year 2 and be absurd by year 3. This is your one year grace period to upgrade, don't expect it again.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

$50 (I think) for private sector, I have at least one client that is going that route because they are going to sell their business in like 6 months and their machines are old poo poo with 3GB of RAM.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

my secret getting powershell scripts to run at startup via gpo under computer? I've had it only fire once in like 7 reboots in a test OU.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Year 1 is going to run $10-15 a seat in education, I heard private sector is closer to 40. Those prices will rises sharply on year 2 and be absurd by year 3. This is your one year grace period to upgrade, don't expect it again.

As a SLED'er, probably should have gotten a bunch of these for random rear end machines that are now problem points.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

gently caress on-prem exchange, gently caress essentials and quadruple gently caress cheap clients that will not pay for a second public IP.

I spent so much loving time trying to get remote web workplace (aka RD gateway) to run from a different port only to find out you can't and there's a dumb roundabout way to have both running on 443.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-essentials-sbs/jj200172(v=ws.11)?redirectedfrom=MSDN

I didn't want to gently caress with exchange because that would mean touching a fuckton of devices manually.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ItBreathes posted:

Both ! I have systems running $2 million dollar MRI machines that are on 7 or even XP. We don't have an upgrade path for the software, and replacing the $2 million dollar instrument would also involve demoing part of the ground floor to get the goddamn things out. Extended support is a rounding error in that equation.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
We have one of those computers too. It manages a $100k printer. I was actually able to install the software and get it to run on Windows 10 32-bit with a lot of fidgeting with compatibility settings, security policies and UAC, but the manufacturer won't support it. So we just spent the 200 bux to get the extended security updates from Microsoft for that one machine. That'll give us another three years breathing room. Hopefully it'll be someone elses problem by then!

That being said, it was truly the best of OSs :(

Almost made it 10 years. Goodbye sweet prince.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I have an HP laptop with Window 7 Enterprise and I have no loving idea how to a) find the product key and b) upgrade it to Win 10. I got it 5.5 years ago and I vaguely recall that it came with Win 8 Pro with some kind of academic volume license which offered the option to "downgrade" to 7 Enterprise, which I took since 8 was such a shitshow.

The key sticker on the bottom faded to illegibility long ago. ShowKeyPlus shows the following:

Installed Key: MAK key not available
OEM Key: 2HN.. etc., presumably a valid 25-character key
OEM Description: Win 8.1 RTM Professional OEM:DM

Windows Media Creation tool can apparently be convinced to upgrade to 10 by running: MediaCreationTool1909.exe /Eula Accept /Retail /MediaArch x64 /MediaLangCode en-US /MediaEdition Enterpris

... but it won't accept that OEM key. I suppose I'm just out of luck?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think you’d need to put Windows 8.1 on, let it activate from the key stored in the BIOS and then do a Windows 10 upgrade if that’s still a thing. Been ages since I used a Windows client that wasn’t 10 so I’m very rusty.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

mllaneza posted:

Both ! I have systems running $2 million dollar MRI machines that are on 7 or even XP. We don't have an upgrade path for the software, and replacing the $2 million dollar instrument would also involve demoing part of the ground floor to get the goddamn things out. Extended support is a rounding error in that equation.

Yeah we have one of those too, we have a cone beam machine that is the only one that will fit in the space. Replacing it not only costs $250k+ but would require us to shut down the clinic and bring in structural engineers to remove a wall in order to buy a new one.

Like I still think this is the difference between "really really big office" and "enterprise" - the costs for even 3 years of support on a lot of this stuff are rounding errors to us. We are the 3rd largest employer in the state, a high tax/benefit one at that. Even $1000/machine is not a deterrent as long as we get most of the low hanging fruit. The medical school proper is looking to hire 50 new IT headcount next year at $100k+ fully loaded cost.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jan 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Now that W7 is mostly migrated, I need a way to get any remaining W7 laptops on the domain out of the woodwork.

What's a GPO I could hit W7 systems with that would cause a situation that would be annoying enough that the users will have to give us a call, but is remotely reversible (so no breaking the NIC) once I can get their info down and a promise to bring their laptops to HQ?