Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Gosh. I just thought "Wow, that looks bad" and "what happens if you drop a book on it, how far apart is the grating? Could it land edge-down and slightly damage the spine?" And then every post since has been about yet another way (that hadn't occurred to me) in which it's horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Like imagine being on the top floor and your earring falls out.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Hell, imagine dropping your phone

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

New program: library pachinko

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's right, it is actually all going to filter down to the very bottom, isn't it. Where no one's gonna clean ever unless the library has got like a giant roomba.

Oh well, silver lining, no more having to handle the lost & found, people can just crawl under the stacks and get their phone back, although it really isn't gonna help with the upskirting issue.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Instead of librarywide hide-and-seek games, they do library-wide Plinko.

tbh I want to stand at the top, spread my legs, squat, and yell down, "HEY, NANCY! DID I TUCK MY TAMPON STRING IN BY MISTAKE?"

E: "I DIDN'T? OKAY, LET'S PLAY THE FISHING GAME!"

EE: oh no im yelling in the library!!!!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Found a few more picture's of Cornell's new hell library for the thread's enjoyment.

Yeah, the floor gratings are pretty dang open.

I know someone with acrophobia who can't handle the kind of stairs that have an open space between the steps where a vertical riser normally goes, because they cause her to lose her sense of being on solid ground. This would be absolutely paralyzing.

"Let's see, what overall aesthetic theme should we go for? Hey, I know! The kill floor of a slaughterhouse!"

"But we still need something to give it a homey touch, to offset the clanging, echoing industrial feel... That's it! Chicken wire! Exposed chicken wire everywhere!"

e: One more:

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 27, 2019

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Academia moves into the industrial farming corporate stage.
:stare:

I'm going to stick with free range education, like Socrates intended.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I'm not even normally afraid of heights, and I have a feeling I'd still be clinging to the railing on the upper levels from sheer terror.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oh my gently caress they actually built it??? I misread and thought this was a concept package.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I just watched Lowtax streaming and it struck me that this library belongs in a poorly made Unity game.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

oh gently caress no. My stomach just lurched like when goons were posting those videos of guys climbing around Russian skyscraper cranes with go-pros, or shots from that glass walkway over the Grand Canyon.

It's me, I'm the one vomiting through the grate

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

MetaJew posted:

The library is functioning as intended. Everyone knows you go there to look up things.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I'd bet the pictures absolutely represent how students use the stacks: they don't. Students use the desks on the ground floor and if they ever want a book they put in a pull request and make a worker grab it for them. This whole set up is extremely lovely on workers and on the books. How do you keep it clean? If you mop it, then you're pouring water on the books below you.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Powered Descent posted:

I know someone with acrophobia who can't handle the kind of stairs that have an open space between the steps where a vertical riser normally goes, because they cause her to lose her sense of being on solid ground. This would be absolutely paralyzing.

I can confirm -- I'm acrophobic and work in an office with a file warehouse with a metal-grate upper floor, and it's terrible, especially for file carts. At this point, it's standard to ask new hires if they're afraid of heights and then only assign ground-floor work to the acrophobes.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
why are architects such dumb fucks / assholes?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
That staircase looks like a cheese grater. Imagine falling (because it's all slippery bare metal) and little chunks of flesh get sheared off you and rain down below.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

PhazonLink posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvU5dmu4sl8

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Vavrek posted:

Gosh. I just thought "Wow, that looks bad" and "what happens if you drop a book on it, how far apart is the grating? Could it land edge-down and slightly damage the spine?" And then every post since has been about yet another way (that hadn't occurred to me) in which it's horrible.

Same, friend, I keep thinking of all the awful stuff about this design, then Mr. Prokosch posts "how do you mop it?" And as someone who had to regularly pinch-hit maintenance stuff like vacuuming or taking care of some disaster in the women's restroom because I was the only woman on duty that night, I'm now scratching my head on that. It just gets worse and worse.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Gonna sound ignorant here but were brutalist library buildings of yore good for actually containing books and reading them?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Same, friend, I keep thinking of all the awful stuff about this design, then Mr. Prokosch posts "how do you mop it?" And as someone who had to regularly pinch-hit maintenance stuff like vacuuming or taking care of some disaster in the women's restroom because I was the only woman on duty that night, I'm now scratching my head on that. It just gets worse and worse.

Uh, closed signs exist and can even be printed on the fly if need be. What the hell? As a former male janitor I can assure you we are able to clean the ladies' room in the event of a disaster.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

PhazonLink posted:

you know the trend among fashion designers to create clothing that is meant only as a work of art, and not for use by actual humans?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Another very good point about the library from hell, from the interior design thread:

deoju posted:

That grating allows for plenty of air flow between the vertical layers of flammable material...
:piss:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Eeeeeh I guess so, but I don't feel like it's a major factor in that scenario? Like at the point where enough of it is on fire for that to be an issue, the real problem is the fire that's already there? I really don't know though! And I'm not a fire expert.

e: what I do know is that one major damaging factor in a library fire is the water used for extinguishing it, and yeah, in that event, that is definitely going through three levels of stacks at once.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 28, 2019

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

It's fine. The snow slush that's tracked in via boots and shoes will drop down through the slats and soak the books, preventing any serious fire damage. :)

Water and snow salt damage, however....

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

therobit posted:

Uh, closed signs exist and can even be printed on the fly if need be. What the hell? As a former male janitor I can assure you we are able to clean the ladies' room in the event of a disaster.

Yeah, but I was in the theatre portion of the building, and we had a lot of after-hours events where the rest of the library was locked*, so patrons could only access one set of restrooms (we had two). So say someone had one too many beers before the local Celtic band played, they get up to puke all over the ladies' room. We couldn't really shut down our only women's restroom with 400 people in the theatre, so I'd get sent in. All our facilities staff were men, so during normal operating hours they'd take care of routine and emergency cleaning just like you said: put up a closed sign re-directing women to the other restroom. These were pretty rare occasions, and usually more mundane things like "the third stall is out of toilet paper", thankfully.

*Not really locked, because that would be a fire hazard, but the doors were closed and all the lights were off in those sections.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Vavrek posted:

Yeah, grated floors are one of those things filed under "unless you have an actual need for them, don't." They're awful in basically every way and then just keep getting worse the more you think about them. If a building's purpose actually requires grated floors then fine whatever put them in but in a library? gently caress no.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Oh my loving god the ventilation plan is literally "let's make the entire building full of dry paper a giant chimney flue"

https://transsolar.com/projects/cornell-fine-arts-library

:stonk:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

Oh my loving god the ventilation plan is literally "let's make the entire building full of dry paper a giant chimney flue"

https://transsolar.com/projects/cornell-fine-arts-library

:stonk:

lmao

This is amazing.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
That library legit looks like a prison.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It's like they based it on the Beinecke but carefully removed all the features that make the Beinecke good

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Disproportionation posted:

That library legit looks like a prison.

almost as aesthetic as a prison, but much more flammable

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's a good thing libraries don't care about noise because I'm pretty sure metal gratings in a giant open room are gonna be noisy as gently caress.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Imagine if you drop a penny or a key or something when you're on the top floor.

CLANG CLANG CLANG GLANG

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Imagine if you drop a penny or a key or something when you're on the top floor.

CLANG CLANG CLANG GLANG

If I dropped a key, that clanging would be accompanied by a very loud "GOD drat IT!"

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I went to this ugly bitch back in my sexy college days. It's either called the Turkey or the Peacock, depending on your general optimism or lack thereof, and it's a windowless concrete death hole where you could easily hide many, many bodies.

I once tried to go up the Robarts elevator to my first session of a class only to be told that there are multiple "versions" of the floor I needed and to go back down IMMEDIATELY. Like, this random guy actually crossed his arms and glared at me until the elevator doors closed. What hideous state secrets I stumbled upon, I'll never know.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

COBRA has built a secret base right under everyone's noses!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

:stare:

Someone got his degree from playing prison architect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Hey, it's been a long time since I posted a story! Was just reminded of an incident thanks to the r/relationships thread, of all places. We'll call it

A Tale of Two Bitches

(this ran a bit longer than I thought it would! Hopefully the pay-off is worth it)

So during the summer, we always had lots of extra events for kids since they weren't school. Youth Services would do crafts in of of our meeting rooms, 3x a day (which is why I cringe every time I see glitter now). They had the space all day, so if the project involved paint or glue, kids could leave it there to dry, go romp around the kids' section, then swing by and pick it up before going home.

One extremely hot evening, I'm working the desk by myself, and a patron comes in and mentions "Y'know there's a dog tied up outside, and the poor thing doesn't have any water." I stand up, and sure enough there's this eldery-looking dog tied to the bike rack right outside my entrance. Now, because of my tall desk (and I was probably browsing SA), I had no idea who had tied it up nor how long it had been there. I go outside, and the poor dog's in full sun around 5:00 in Virginia summer, lying on her side and panting like mad.

I go back in, rifle thru our kitchenette to try to find a bowl --- no joy. I remember that I'd brought my dinner from home, so I dump my dinner onto a paper plate, wash the tupperware out, and bring her some water. She sucks it down like no tomorrow and I refill it.

What to do? In retrospect, I guess I could've gone around to every single patron and asked "do you have a dog outside?", but I still had to staff my desk, and that would've taken forever. Plus, I just wanted to keep an eye on her. I hate seeing animals suffer.

I call reference and ask if we have any guidelines on this. They do not, but suggest calling the police non-emergency line, just to see if, like, this was worth calling animal control. (They also brought up the valid point that tying a dog to a bike rack was a hazard; what if the dog snapped at someone chaining up their bike?) So I call, and the person I spoke to said they really weren't sure about the protocol either, they'd check and get back to me.

About 5 or 10 minutes later, a uniformed cop shows up at my desk, inquiring about a dog. I was a bit surprised that they just sent a cop over.
"Oh! Yes sir, she's right out there. She's not barking or threatening anyone, but, y'know, it's just so hot, and I have no idea how long she's been out there," I explain as we go outside.
The bowl is bone dry again, and the friendly officer is giving the dog pats as I go back in to refill it.

Just as I go back out, a woman and her kid come bursting through the door behind me, absolutely livid. "WHAT IS THIS?! WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MY DOG?!"
The cop even takes a step back and calmly says "We were just concerned about your dog ma'am, it's awful hot out."
"WELL WHO ARE YOU?!" she demands of me, then glares at the bowl in my hand as if it's full of antifreeze.
"I work here. A patron mentioned the dog, and I've been bringing her water."
"WELL THIS IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS, AND" proceeds to keep ranting as she unties the dog.
"Ma'am, just relax, she called us because she had no idea how long the dog had been here and was worried."
"WE WERE ONLY IN THERE FIVE MINUTES! IN THE FUTURE, MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS! COME ON! WE'RE LEAVING"

The cop is looking a bit flabbergasted, and that's when I look to see how the kid is reacting. That's when I see it. The craft in her hand, which that day was little flower pots that were decorated with paint and glitter and glued-on things. The craft which had been made at least an hour and a half ago, maybe more.

"Five minutes, my loving rear end" I think, but do not say. Which, though ungratifying, was for the best because some time later, after the dust settled and I was back at my desk, the ref librarian in charge came down and said "Uh, I just got a phone call from a patron..." If I'd said it, I wouldn't have had a "oh, it's a he-said she-said thing" excuse, since the cop was standing right there. I explained the whole story, ref guy says I did nothing wrong, she was a hot-head, good job, yadda yadda.

Before the cop left, though, as we were standing out there sweating and shaking our heads, I did tell him about the craft and that the woman had just totally lied to us about "five minutes". He cocks an eyebrow, says "Really?" and looks around the parking lot in the direction the woman had stalked off to. Then with a wave and telling me to have a nice night, hops into his cruiser and busts out of the parking lot at Warp 7.

My fantasy is that she left in such a huff that she was speeding, aggressively driving, maybe blew a stop sign, and that Officer Dog Lover pulled her bitch rear end over.

One can dream.

Epilogue: the ref folks must've spread the whole story around, because the next day everyone on staff was all "Hey, it's JD, canine hero!" "Ayyy, how's the patron saint of dogs today?" and other such accolades.