Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack

I'm still disappointed as anyone that we didn't get way wayyyy more of Bzantium but I love seeing Thorfinn interacting with his family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Some serious poo poo is happening in kingdom's latest chapter. God I love these ridiculous slugfests :allears:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

QuasiQuack posted:

Some serious poo poo is happening in kingdom's latest chapter. God I love these ridiculous slugfests :allears:

Yeah, god I really look forward for that ridiculous punk to finally go down.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Never been so happy to see someone finally cleaved in twain

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

Yeah, god I really look forward for that ridiculous punk to finally go down.
That's some way to talk about shin but i agree

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I’ve had enough of this “shin” guy where’s kanki?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
real Kingdom heads are rooting for general Tou and no one else

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Pewdiepie posted:

I’ve had enough of this “shin” guy where’s kanki?

If things go in Kingdom like it does in real life(the mangaka has plenty of times embellished history for the sake of story) Kanki will cause the invasion to fail and then flee Qin to the state of Yan

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Was not really expecting sympathetic trans portrayals from Vinland Saga of all series.

Sympathetic, if not a mite cartoonish, though that's more due to involved parties than the trans part so okay.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I think the whole raised as a girl to avoid her the war thing is a bit iffy and I hope Yukimura isn't under the misconception that trans people are trans because of that, but I'm really glad everyone was supportive.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

She does say she considers herself a woman and wants to live as such. It's iffy but everyone's on board so sure, why not.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
there's a lot of different ways to be trans and any individual person's story is going to be limited in what they can go into

the answer, therefore, is more trans vikings

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Rody One Half posted:

She does say she considers herself a woman and wants to live as such. It's iffy but everyone's on board so sure, why not.

Oh no, she's *definitely* trans. There is no doubt in the chapter about her gender identity and everyone accepts her, which is really good. I never intended to imply that the character wasn't trans because of her backstory or anything of the sort.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
I want to like Cordelia, I guess it depends on how the story treats her going forward.

Also jeez that was the most over the top Thorkell has ever been depicted.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I find it charming that despite his disappointment of not having a son to raise into a warrior, Thorkell did love his daughter growing up.

Also I don't know how to feel about this? Because while yeah, Cordellia does consider herself a woman, it is mostly because her mother raised her as one. On the other hand, you could say the same about the opposite, that right? That being raised as a boy would make you consider yourself a dude? :psyduck:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Nah. Cordelia is a girl, but not because she was raised as a girl. Gender doesn't work that way. If she were a boy, she'd have said "I'm a boy who was raised as a girl."

Had she been raised as a boy, she would probably have a different personality (our experiences shape how we relate to the world at large, after all), but she would still be a girl.

e. Of course I don't know whether the author knows anything about gender or is just relying on and perpetuating the ugly myth that nurture trumps nature.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010
Regardless, it's still not as bad as Golden Kamuy's portrayal of trans people, so I'm counting it as a win.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

So with the latest update, Historie's probably what, 2 chapters away from the assassination?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Fuckin spoilers, dude.

Lol. Yeah, I'd say a few. If i remember aright, the author can be decent at plugging for time with interesting poo poo, though that's kinda been done a lot the past few years.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there's a new chapter of Vinland Saga.

It has maybe one of my favorite single panels in a manga, ever. It encapsulates the point up until now of thorfinn's entire journey in a single image. I teared up a bit when I saw it, it's really good, and really simple, but conveys its message perfectly. spoilers, obviously

it's the first time adult thorfinn has had a genuine, joyful smile like he had as a child, that is free of the mountains of guilt he's been suffering under that I can think of, but shows on his face and on his hands the toil he's gone through to get to this point.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 26, 2020

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Isn't this also the first time on-screen he solved a difficult situation without his skills, or his past, as a warrior coming into play?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Captain Invictus posted:

I teared up a bit when I saw it,

I knew it the second I saw it, bc same ;_;

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
This is the first time it has hit me that this really is the final arc.

These three are so cute together. It's because Thorfinn has them that he can smile like that.

I noticed this when reading the chapter again. Where did Ylva get these scars? Does this mean Ylva got into some brawls we didn't get to see?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Theowulv posted:

These three are so cute together. It's because Thorfinn has them that he can smile like that.

I noticed this when reading the chapter again. Where did Ylva get these scars? Does this mean Ylva got into some brawls we didn't get to see?

We've all seen what Ylva is like.

It'd be more of a surprise if she didn't get into brawls. At bare minimum, she's the family's main hunter, and a lot of animals don't die easy.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Theowulv posted:

when you work with your hands they tend to get hosed up over time even nowdays, and i'm not sure that protective gloves were much of a thing in this era

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

when you work with your hands they tend to get hosed up over time even nowdays, and i'm not sure that protective gloves were much of a thing in this era

Yeah you're right. For some reason I thought Yukimura drew battle scars and scars from working differently but glancing through the manga I guess I remembered wrong.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Medical proto-isekai Jin has been completely translated. If you go to the author's patreon and toss him 5bux you'll get to read it all.

https://www.patreon.com/motokamurakami/

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Jin is really good and is my favourite type of "I was thrown backwards through time with modern knowledge and the skills to implement them" which is when they (not really a huge spoiler but it was a nice moment in the series) throw out worries about changing timelines and just go all-in on introducing the good tech.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

archduke.iago posted:

Medical proto-isekai Jin has been completely translated. If you go to the author's patreon and toss him 5bux you'll get to read it all.

https://www.patreon.com/motokamurakami/

Oh gently caress really??? I was stuck on the bit fantranslated that stopped updating in like 2017. I’m getting on this poo poo tonight.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
The final volume of Blissful Land has been released and they finally get married.

Everyone is very supportive

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Just finished ep 24 of Vinland Saga anime and not sure if I want to dunk it in the trash or keep hatewatching to see Thorfinn get punched in the face more. Literally the most hateable protagonist I've ever seen.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I'm glad you actually got the correct response out of Thorfinn during the prologue, which is extremely why you should read the rest of it and experience the full journey.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Even Thorfinn doesn't like OG Thorfinn.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

mdct posted:

I'm glad you actually got the correct response out of Thorfinn during the prologue, which is extremely why you should read the rest of it and experience the full journey.

I also want to read the manga to figure out if Thors' Whole Deal is just as confusing or if this is a bad adaptation. Like his new meaning in life is Never Killing and I don't need a sword, anyway son heres a small sword, DO NOT use this for revenge, only use it for self defense. What this is confusing? Because I won't even use a sword in self defense? Well you see its very simple i- *dies*

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mr. Pool posted:

I also want to read the manga to figure out if Thors' Whole Deal is just as confusing or if this is a bad adaptation. Like his new meaning in life is Never Killing and I don't need a sword, anyway son heres a small sword, DO NOT use this for revenge, only use it for self defense. What this is confusing? Because I won't even use a sword in self defense? Well you see its very simple i- *dies*

Well, it's partially because Thors is such a hardcore badass he can non-lethal dozens of the greatest mercenaries in the world with his bare hands, and Thorfinn is, like, seven.

But even beyond Shonen Fight Man logic, Thors is a father. He'd rather die than kill with a smile on his face, but that's his life. Letting his son die because of his principles is different. It's a cruel world, and he wants to keep his son safe, even if it means being more flexible on some principles than he would be otherwise.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Pool posted:

Just finished ep 24 of Vinland Saga anime and not sure if I want to dunk it in the trash or keep hatewatching to see Thorfinn get punched in the face more. Literally the most hateable protagonist I've ever seen.

Oh hey you're gonna enjoy how it goes after this then.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mr. Pool posted:

People have said this already but you're not meant to like Thorfinn. If you genuinely react that badly to him, you're in the right track for later events that are not in the anime yet.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The backwards trek through Otoyomegatari brings us to the village of the twin brides. Hopefully they can pull off a house party without shaming their entire village.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Also there was no Otoyome chapter last month because Mori drew this one shot instead: https://mangadex.org/chapter/810890/1

Sindai fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Mori seeking to answer the question of how much Pretty Stuff you can fit into a single page.