Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Remember John/Roc Upchurch? The original Rat Queens artist, disgraced after it came out that he beat his wife?

Someone at Image thought this was a good idea:
https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/lucy-claire-redemption-1

eugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

amigolupus posted:

It's even weirder because his first appearance was in a side story of Bad Machinery where Ryan invited Mrs. Lord and her husband over for dinner. They did talk about how Ken and his wife met ages ago where he was her college professor, but Ken seemed harmless and a decent person then, not to mention he and his wife seemed happy together. So it's extremely jarring that Ken in Giant Days becomes this creep who cheats on his wife because she's on a trip and would get students drunk so they'd sleep with him.

Keep in mind that Giant Days takes place before Bad Machinery / New Bobbins, so for all we know Ken Lord might not have met the future Mrs. Lord yet. I've been binge reading my library's collection of Giant Days trades and in the the Ken Lord issue/chapter (29) Mrs. Lord isn't mentioned.

I also picked up Allison's new book Steeple and thought it was pretty good. The first issue is mainly set up for the series. Thing I kinda didn't like was that the main character, Billie Baker, reminded me a lot of Shelley Winters, who is probably my least favorite Bobbinsverse character.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The_Other posted:

Keep in mind that Giant Days takes place before Bad Machinery / New Bobbins, so for all we know Ken Lord might not have met the future Mrs. Lord yet. I've been binge reading my library's collection of Giant Days trades and in the the Ken Lord issue/chapter (29) Mrs. Lord isn't mentioned.

I also picked up Allison's new book Steeple and thought it was pretty good. The first issue is mainly set up for the series. Thing I kinda didn't like was that the main character, Billie Baker, reminded me a lot of Shelley Winters, who is probably my least favorite Bobbinsverse character.

Oh, you're at issue 29? I'm kind of curious what you'll think of the next issue since that one really made me dislike Susan. Really, I'm just glad for this thread since it's rare to find others who have read Giant Days. :v: I'm neutral on Shelley so I might just check out Steeple.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Steeple seems like it'll be good but the first issue was definitely pure setup.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I finally read the latest Black Hammer last night. I'm not sure where they're going to go with this series now, if they are (it sounds like something in December), but I think I'm done with the series.

It basically went nowhere, and starts back where it began. The side stories haven't done anything for me since Doctor Starr, and I didn't even pick up this DC crossover mini.

I just feel after the last issue it made me reflect on my feelings for the series, and made me realize I've reached my jumping off point.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
This is indeed supposed to be the conclusion of the farm storyline, according to Lemire himself, but the Black Hammer universe will certainly continue.

Personally, I'd argue the main point of Black Hammer was always more about the emotional journey of these characters rather than the narrative itself. The original mystery was the initial hook, yes, but it didn't take too long for us to learn the gist of the secret. After that was done, the end could be seen coming.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The_Other posted:

I think Ken mentions his wife later on.

Also Steeple was great, even if it was mostly setup like you said.

Also bold move to not say you like Desmond Fishman least. Allison's threatenedhinted that he might do a sequel to Vote Des.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

wielder posted:

This is indeed supposed to be the conclusion of the farm storyline, according to Lemire himself, but the Black Hammer universe will certainly continue.

Personally, I'd argue the main point of Black Hammer was always more about the emotional journey of these characters rather than the narrative itself. The original mystery was the initial hook, yes, but it didn't take too long for us to learn the gist of the secret. After that was done, the end could be seen coming.

Well for me, I would sum up the emotional journey of these people as "miserable". As in, they struggled and suffered so much, and for no reward. Abraham got the closest to the good ending. Barbarian as he got to finally be out, but maybe so long he's just human and still hides a huge part of himself? Gale never got to grow up, just got Sherlock dues ex'ing in at the last second. Weird wasn't even shown I think, and Dragonfly looked like she's still isolated. Talky Walky got reduced to a doll? They're all mind wiped to not even remember who they really are. It's not very satisfying.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

IUG posted:

Well for me, I would sum up the emotional journey of these people as "miserable". As in, they struggled and suffered so much, and for no reward. Abraham got the closest to the good ending. Barbarian as he got to finally be out, but maybe so long he's just human and still hides a huge part of himself? Gale never got to grow up, just got Sherlock dues ex'ing in at the last second. Weird wasn't even shown I think, and Dragonfly looked like she's still isolated. Talky Walky got reduced to a doll? They're all mind wiped to not even remember who they really are. It's not very satisfying.

I suppose we can spin all of those as either positive or negative outcomes. It's more of a subjective judgment. They're not perfect solutions, I can agree, but the value would be in the fact they are now entirely voluntary roles rather than imposed upon them. Btw, Lemire did say we'll be hearing about Weird later. Which is rather fitting, I suppose.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the first issue of SFSX was promising, i wouldnt recommend reading it at work tho lol

e: the writer, tina horn, does a commentary on it here

site fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 25, 2019

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Anyone else pick up Dead Eyes from Image? It reminds me of Deadpool without the zaniness, which makes sense given it's from a Deadpool writer.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think Ken mentions his wife later on.

Also Steeple was great, even if it was mostly setup like you said.

Also bold move to not say you like Desmond Fishman least. Allison's threatenedhinted that he might do a sequel to Vote Des.

Never before has John Allison threatened to be so topical.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

east of west is dope

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lpzie posted:

east of west is dope
I will definitely have to give it a good re-read once it's all done

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol yeah i eventually gave up and am just waiting til its finished too

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

East of West has been a pick up trade comic for me and every time a new volume finally comes out I have to go and re-read like the previous 3 ones just to remember what the gently caress is going on.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Is anyone here into Love & Rockets? I read the giant Palomar and Locas hardcovers over a decade ago, but recently I've been reading all of Jaime's stories (the Locas continuity) from the beginning. I'm not done yet, and I don't think Hoopla has every single volume, but I've made it through a good chunk of his material and enjoyed everything a lot more this time through. His art and storytelling are just so fantastic, and he draws some of the prettiest women in comics, without resorting to pure cheesecake all the time.

Has anyone ever tried adapting Love & Rockets? Even though they're mostly "slice of life" stories with the occasional magical realism twist (after Jaime moved away from the earlier sci-fi/adventure stuff), I can't see them working in any other medium.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 19, 2019

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I've been reading Strayed, a miniseries from Dark Horse about a cat who astral-projects being used to explore worlds by a military dictatorship. If you're into cats at all, you will like it. Plus the art of the alien planets is pretty funky.

Also read the first issue of Strange Skies Over East Berlin. So far, it's pulling me in. It has a definite feel of "what if John Le Carre wrote a Twilight Zone story."

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I had two unrelated conversations about Branwell Bronte in the last couple weeks and had been thinking about that whole family pretty intensely lately, so today's issue of Die felt super eerie to me. I'm enjoying this series a lot.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I don't know if anyone else pre-ordered a TKO series but apparently they're partnering with Comixology now and will no longer be self-releasing. I got an email asking if I wanted a refund or a free upgrade to TPB on the Lemire series I barely remember the premise of.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Picked up and enjoyed Folklords and Family Tree this week! Would recommend both.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/themightylayman/status/1200077755422892032?s=20

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
POYO!?!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Curse Words is over. What a ride.

I only wish the epilogue was a tiny bit longer though.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
If y'all are looking for a treat, Comixology Unlimited includes a ton Jason's comics.

And if you've never read Jason, I recommend, "Hey Wait...", "I Killed Adolph Hitler," and "The Iron Wagon." (And "The Left Bank Gang," but that left Unlimited for some reason.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Bronte family derail in the latest Die just was not grabbing me. It felt like a non-canon crossover episode with The Unwritten or something like that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Die just hasnt been grabbing me much at all.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Is anyone here into Love & Rockets? I read the giant Palomar and Locas hardcovers over a decade ago, but recently I've been reading all of Jaime's stories (the Locas continuity) from the beginning. I'm not done yet, and I don't think Hoopla has every single volume, but I've made it through a good chunk of his material and enjoyed everything a lot more this time through. His art and storytelling are just so fantastic, and he draws some of the prettiest women in comics, without resorting to pure cheesecake all the time.

Has anyone ever tried adapting Love & Rockets? Even though they're mostly "slice of life" stories with the occasional magical realism twist (after Jaime moved away from the earlier sci-fi/adventure stuff), I can't see them working in any other medium.

I love Love & Rockets (more into the Jaime stuff. I liked Beto's Palomar stories, but the adventures of Luba and his sisters leave me super cold). I remember in the old singles letter columns they mentioned it being optioned or adapted for a movie, but that was in the 80's so it obviously never came up again.
While the book is incredible and a critical darling, I don't think it has the cultural caché it once did outside of comics in the 90's, so I don't believe it would be adapted any time soon. I wish it did, mainly so that Los Bros could get a nice paycheck more than anything.

The Love Bunglers and Is This How You See Me make an incredible two part story about the loves in Maggies life and about herself. It's been one of my favorite parts. Better than The Death of Speedy even!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Vincent posted:

I love Love & Rockets (more into the Jaime stuff. I liked Beto's Palomar stories, but the adventures of Luba and his sisters leave me super cold). I remember in the old singles letter columns they mentioned it being optioned or adapted for a movie, but that was in the 80's so it obviously never came up again.
While the book is incredible and a critical darling, I don't think it has the cultural caché it once did outside of comics in the 90's, so I don't believe it would be adapted any time soon. I wish it did, mainly so that Los Bros could get a nice paycheck more than anything.

The Love Bunglers and Is This How You See Me make an incredible two part story about the loves in Maggies life and about herself. It's been one of my favorite parts. Better than The Death of Speedy even!

YESSSS. Since I posted that in mid-October, I finished all the available Jaime L&R material on Hoopla in order, ending with the powerful one-two punch of The Love Bunglers and Is This How You See Me?. I loved everything, especially those. I wish I owned the volumes so I could have taken my time with them and referred back to things later on. Sometimes it was hard keeping track of everyone and everything, but it was such a rewarding experience, binge-reading all the Locas stories in a row this fall. I was really rooting for Maggie and ***Ray*** to end up happy, ideally together, so that was nice to see how they came out.

About The Death of Speedy... it was ambiguous, but he did kill himself, right?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

YESSSS. Since I posted that in mid-October, I finished all the available Jaime L&R material on Hoopla in order, ending with the powerful one-two punch of The Love Bunglers and Is This How You See Me?. I loved everything, especially those. I wish I owned the volumes so I could have taken my time with them and referred back to things later on. Sometimes it was hard keeping track of everyone and everything, but it was such a rewarding experience, binge-reading all the Locas stories in a row this fall. I was really rooting for Maggie and ***Ray*** to end up happy, ideally together, so that was nice to see how they came out.

About The Death of Speedy... it was ambiguous, but he did kill himself, right?

Death of Speedy Spoilers
I'd need to re-read it, but from what I remember it's left ambiguous. Maybe he got killed by Rojo's gang, maybe he killed himself, maybe both

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
For anyone looking for a free option to read a lot of the comics posted here, the Graphite app added a bunch of publishers over the weekend, including Dark Horse, Valiant, and Humanoids. They already had a bunch of titles from Dynamite, IDW, and others.

Actually a ton of the comics mentioned here and in the OP are up on Graphite (Irredeemable/Incorruptable, Hellboy, BPRD, Essex County, Usagi Yojimbo... lots more).

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

Jake Armitage posted:

For anyone looking for a free option to read a lot of the comics posted here, the Graphite app added a bunch of publishers over the weekend, including Dark Horse, Valiant, and Humanoids. They already had a bunch of titles from Dynamite, IDW, and others.

Actually a ton of the comics mentioned here and in the OP are up on Graphite (Irredeemable/Incorruptable, Hellboy, BPRD, Essex County, Usagi Yojimbo... lots more).

Thanks for the tip, i had no idea this existed.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Huh, I knew East of West was ending soon but I didn't realize it was that soon. It seemed like a satisfying ending but I'll have to do a re-read to be sure as the details got fuzzy due to the inconsistent release schedule.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I want to do a re-read of East of West too now that it's all over. It ending with me feeling positive about the whole thing but there are definitely parts I don't quite remember.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
It's over? Just last week I was going through Comixology to see how many TPBs I was behind on and saw somewhere that the comic was in its final arc.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Andrigaar posted:

It's over? Just last week I was going through Comixology to see how many TPBs I was behind on and saw somewhere that the comic was in its final arc.

Last issue dropped this week! Now do Black Monday Murders, Hickman.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Finally got around to reading Giant Days: As Time Goes By and it's kind of a mixed bag for me. The theme is about college friends growing up and getting jobs that make it harder to find time to keep in touch with friends. Esther's situation of having terrible bosses that foist all the work on you is relatable and sympathetic but the way it was handled was rather weird.

The artist did a great job conveying Esther's exhaustion and her extreme discomfort over her bosses. But during the scene with Esther asking Daisy if she and Susan couldn't see that she's drowning, we're somehow supposed to agree with Daisy that Esther didn't ask for help or that it's her fault she couldn't talk or see them for a year. It's such a weird take, especially since Daisy made a point earlier about how sometimes people don't say anything because you don't want to burden your friends with your troubles.

Susan was in top form at being terrible this issue. She fought with McGraw over him turning down job offers without asking his reasons, she badmouthed Esther for not being able to get to their reunions and acted like a total jerk during their reunion, and she dragged Daisy away with her to ditch Esther despite Esther's body language pretty much screaming for help from her abusive bosses. So having Esther apologize to Susan for how she behaved left a bad taste in my mouth.

And while I know Tackleford's got mysteries and paranormal stuff in it from Bad Machinery, Giant Days has been fairly grounded so it was really distracting when the bosses turned into some weird legion goop and the trio got rid of them by luring them into a haunted footballer's crypt. So yeah, it felt like a weird way to cap off the series.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

amigolupus posted:

Finally got around to reading Giant Days: As Time Goes By and it's kind of a mixed bag for me. The theme is about college friends growing up and getting jobs that make it harder to find time to keep in touch with friends. Esther's situation of having terrible bosses that foist all the work on you is relatable and sympathetic but the way it was handled was rather weird.

The artist did a great job conveying Esther's exhaustion and her extreme discomfort over her bosses. But during the scene with Esther asking Daisy if she and Susan couldn't see that she's drowning, we're somehow supposed to agree with Daisy that Esther didn't ask for help or that it's her fault she couldn't talk or see them for a year. It's such a weird take, especially since Daisy made a point earlier about how sometimes people don't say anything because you don't want to burden your friends with your troubles.

Susan was in top form at being terrible this issue. She fought with McGraw over him turning down job offers without asking his reasons, she badmouthed Esther for not being able to get to their reunions and acted like a total jerk during their reunion, and she dragged Daisy away with her to ditch Esther despite Esther's body language pretty much screaming for help from her abusive bosses. So having Esther apologize to Susan for how she behaved left a bad taste in my mouth.

And while I know Tackleford's got mysteries and paranormal stuff in it from Bad Machinery, Giant Days has been fairly grounded so it was really distracting when the bosses turned into some weird legion goop and the trio got rid of them by luring them into a haunted footballer's crypt. So yeah, it felt like a weird way to cap off the series.

I agree, it felt like an Esther Special and not a very good one. Susan is particular felt like she was cranked up to eleven. It sort of felt like zeroing in on Esther's job drama and turning to hijinx as the crux of the resolution allowed him to get away from really digging into the melancholy of meeting back up with old college friends, feeling time pass in a tangible way, etc.. It just felt so slight.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

amigolupus posted:

I think Alison said it was a deliberate choice to go back to the weirdness in When Time Goes By, considering the original (pre-Boom!) comics had Esther, Susan and Daisy fighting the Legion of Head Girls and Daisy breaking out THE AWESOME POWER OF YOGIC FLYING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Archyduchess posted:

I agree, it felt like an Esther Special and not a very good one. Susan is particular felt like she was cranked up to eleven. It sort of felt like zeroing in on Esther's job drama and turning to hijinx as the crux of the resolution allowed him to get away from really digging into the melancholy of meeting back up with old college friends, feeling time pass in a tangible way, etc.. It just felt so slight.

Yeah, by putting all the focus on Esther's problems with her bosses, it takes away focus on Susan and McGraw's fight and just makes it feel completely superfluous to the story. It could have also included Ed more, seeing as how he's in a similar situation to Esther and is part of their college friend group.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think Alison said it was a deliberate choice to go back to the weirdness in When Time Goes By, considering the original (pre-Boom!) comics had Esther, Susan and Daisy fighting the Legion of Head Girls and Daisy breaking out THE AWESOME POWER OF YOGIC FLYING.

Huh, that's kind of a weird decision. It wouldn't be so jarring if Giant Days had the occasional supernatural weirdness in it. I had to reread the chase sequence a couple of times because I couldn't believe it was actually happening. :v: