Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
Question for the thread. I'm in the middle of the interview process with a couple different companies, and been following the "never say a number" mantra.

One of the companies wants to make an offer, and the HR person has hit me with, "we want to align with you on our hypothetical compensation and benefits offering before proceeding" and "the range for this role maxes out at $103k base salary with a 10% target bonus ". Followed by details about additional benefits at the company. I've been through the song and dance with this HR person a bunch of times already in this process, and she knows I'm not going to give them a number. I replied that'd I'd need some time to review, but in general that it was in the ballpark.

The question I have, is when the formal offer comes, how hard do I push on the "role maxes out at $XXX" portion? Negotiate harder on other things like vacation time instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Personally I would have responded to that with "I'm sorry to hear that, because I would need $115K to move forward here." IMO it's better to push back immediately on the "this role maxes out at" bullshit.

As always, you can only negotiate with strength if you're willing to walk away. If you've already made up your mind you need this job, you'll end up accepting the $95K or whatever they wind up offering.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

another loser posted:

Question for the thread. I'm in the middle of the interview process with a couple different companies, and been following the "never say a number" mantra.

One of the companies wants to make an offer, and the HR person has hit me with, "we want to align with you on our hypothetical compensation and benefits offering before proceeding" and "the range for this role maxes out at $103k base salary with a 10% target bonus ". Followed by details about additional benefits at the company. I've been through the song and dance with this HR person a bunch of times already in this process, and she knows I'm not going to give them a number. I replied that'd I'd need some time to review, but in general that it was in the ballpark.

The question I have, is when the formal offer comes, how hard do I push on the "role maxes out at $XXX" portion? Negotiate harder on other things like vacation time instead?

What are you looking for? You can tell US a number. It’s kind of hard to give you advice if we don’t know if you would be ecstatic with $85k or if you need $120 to keep your house.

another loser
Mar 25, 2001

Ultimate Mango posted:

What are you looking for? You can tell US a number. It’s kind of hard to give you advice if we don’t know if you would be ecstatic with $85k or if you need $120 to keep your house.

Quick background. Previously I worked at a very large video game company, and was there for 6 years and worked my way up to Product Manager. I left 2 years ago on good terms to start my own business in an unrelated field. When I left my base salary was $90K, and with RSUs/bonus, was $110K. So I've been out of the tech world for a couple years, and looking to get back in.

I'm in a situation where I don't need to rush back to work, and have turned down a couple of offers that didn't pay well enough, or were bad projects.

another loser fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 8, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

So what does "not pay well enough" mean? What is the market rate for the position(s) you are applying for in your area?

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
They were both offers around $85K. The market rate for Product Managers in my area is $95-115K

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

another loser posted:

The market rate for Product Managers in my area is $95-115K

Okay, so you got a market rate offer, but are in a position where you don't need a job right now. Give them your number and why you in particular are worth that. Then maybe a couple options for their number with differences in the total comp - like more vacation if that's the kind of thing you're interested in.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
"Don't work with loving recruiters"

"never say a number, jfc"

"you won't get anything without a BATNA"

We give a lot of advice in this thread that is not actually universally applicable: there are exceptions to every rule which you can express with fewer than 30 words.

The vast majority of the audience for this thread, both in terms of readers and people asking for advice, are people who have never negotiated a job before or are inexperienced and uncomfortable doing it. The advice we repeat over and over is advice useful for these people. And for people who do not know how to negotiate and sell their labor confidently, placement professionals are irrelevant.

You know, apart from as a way to increase the odds they get hosed over.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

From Ask a Manager's column today

Alison Greene posted:

I sometimes answer letters privately that I don’t publish here (due to the volume of mail I receive), and I thought this exchange was worth sharing (with the writer’s permission). In September I received this letter:

I’ve interviewed with a great company that I am very interested in. I’m close to getting an offer. At my first phone interview, they told me the salary range — about 30%-50% above what I’m paid now. I knew my salary at my current company was low, and so I was very excited to talk to a company that wasn’t asking my current salary. The did ask what I was hoping to get, and I named a number about $5k over the top of their range, thinking we can negotiate.

They asked for references, and talked about putting together an offer letter. Today, they asked for my “current compensation and bonus payout history. Are you able to share last year’s W2?”

I haven’t had a new job in nearly two decades, but is asking for a W2 normal? How do I answer this without handicapping the offer they’ll make? I feel like I have everything working against me — I’ve been at my current job forever, I started in an entry-level, assistant type role and didn’t negotiate. My pay has gone up based on a percentage of my (low) salary, even as I’ve taken on more responsibility. Because I haven’t switched jobs, I’m way behind on what most people with my experience make. I was hoping this would get my earnings back on track and now I feel like they’re going to just offer me slightly more than I make now.

And I just found out that asking salary history will be illegal in my state (Illinois) on 9/29. But saying it’s illegal likely sets the wrong tone…

Any advice on how to word a response to this? I don’t want to sound whiny, but I also don’t want to give them my salary!

I wrote back and said, “Some companies do ask for W2s, yes. (It’s ridiculous.) But the new law, even though it’s not in effect yet, could really help you here. You could try saying, ‘There’s actually a new Illinois law taking effect this month that doesn’t let us talk about salary history, but I’d be glad to talk more with you about why I think $X is a fair salary for the role and answer any further questions you have about my experience!’ They may or may not go for it, but it’s a reasonable thing to say, especially if you say it warmly and cheerfully.”

This month, I received this update:

I wanted to send you an update on my job search. You gave me advice on how to avoid giving my current salary. I have always been terrible at that. I generally don’t like conflict and I expect people to be fair, and so I have always caved and given my salary before getting a range from a hiring manager or recruiter.

In this case, though, I had some great incentive. After my first response when I didn’t give them my W2, they started asking for things like profit-sharing and equity and I realized they were worried they couldn’t match my salary. I knew I was underpaid, and I didn’t want them to see my salary and think they had misjudged my qualifications. When I spoke with the HR rep on the phone and she said I could just send a screenshot, I just said, “I’m not comfortable with that. I’d like to discuss pay based on the role. I’ve done some research and I think $X is fair market value.” She said “okay” and moved on! I ended up getting an offer, and am now six weeks into my new role, making 50% more than my previous salary and at the top of the range they gave me! I couldn’t have done it without all the great advice from your site. Thank you!”

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I would love to know how much lovely HR practices like that are costing the American work force each year. There's so many people out there who have no idea that negotiating is even a thing- let alone having the willpower to do actually do it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I would love to know how much lovely HR practices like that are costing the American work force each year. There's so many people out there who have no idea that negotiating is even a thing- let alone having the willpower to do actually do it.

If my time in outsourcing taught me one thing, it was that there is always someone willing to do the job for less.

I would venture that a very material portion of job seekers do not have a BATNA and will take what is offered. For some jobs, the wage is what it is. I’ve never had a union gig, which I figure has some restrictions, but I’ve done enough public price list gov work to know there isn’t always a lot of room in those jerbs.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
The thing is, when you get the guy that does it for less, you more often than not also get the guy who is less qualified. Sure, it's not always trie, but highly qualified people usually realise their worth at some point and will get snatched up by companies that actually need quality.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
I've always been a bad negotiator and basically went through the highs and lows during my recent job search.

My ex-employer was shutting down and I was negotiating salary with a sister company and A) didn't do much research for market value and B) wasn't 100% sure they'd take me so I didn't want to go too high.
Basically they OK'd a 10-15% increase which was nice but then I realized market value was much higher (20-25% increase) and I probably could've pushed for more. Had a slight tinge of regret...
However, I was already working remote so that was a knock against me which eventually led them to deciding to find someone local.

Luckily right after that, I was able to interview for a job in my area that was in a semi-related industry. This time I did some research and found the salaries were muuuuch higher so I basically settled for slightly lower than market/GD value when they asked for a number. My experience was also only tangentially related so I figured whatever would increase my chances would help.
I probably could have aimed higher (interview went really well) but I was unemployed so getting a job ASAP was a priority. I still got a 50-60% raise which was awesome.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

hmmxkrazee posted:

This time I did some research and found the salaries were muuuuch higher so I basically settled for slightly lower than market/GD value when they asked for a number.
The real question is why did you give a number when they asked?!
Grats on getting more figgies, though.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I had a job interview for a position with a city government in Washington State today; I don't anticipate getting an offer, but the position is union-represented; given that it's a government position and union-represented, I think benefits and salary are locked in and non-negotiable. Is that the case (I've never been in a union before)?

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why

fourwood posted:

The real question is why did you give a number when they asked?!
Grats on getting more figgies, though.

Thanks! If I wasn't stressed for a job, I...still would've given a number. Here's hoping for better negotiations next time though!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

We had a sudden layoff announcement at work last week, which was the first time in a very long time they've done that to my department in decades (if ever). When it initially happened I was thankful to have retained my job, because I really enjoy what I'm doing day to day since changing roles 2 years ago. But the terms of separation for those affected are so good that with my tenure, it would've been 3 months still on payroll just to look for jobs, plus around 6 months severance whenever I separate at the end of that term (or presumably earlier, upon getting his somewhere else).

My e-fund and taxable accounts plus that severance would've had me happily searching for a new job at a leisurely pace. And if I'd found one within the 3 months, it'd be like getting a fancy car or home remodel for free.

Now I kinda wish I had been on the list since I'm underpaid as it is (caught up quite a bit in the last year, but still way behind). If I go looking in my own now (which I'm still thinking of doing), voluntarily leaving would never get me any terms at all. Unless I can work a counter offer to stay.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Thanatosian posted:

I had a job interview for a position with a city government in Washington State today; I don't anticipate getting an offer, but the position is union-represented; given that it's a government position and union-represented, I think benefits and salary are locked in and non-negotiable. Is that the case (I've never been in a union before)?

Typically the government Union job has strict pay bands and offerings. You can negotiate, but it's usually within the pay band ( correct me if I'm wrong here ).

For instance you could be offered a job for "Engineering Whatever" and they have Ranges A-D paying 4000 a month at the start of A to 10,000 at the start of D. You probably can't negotiate for more then the bands, but you could negotiate yourself from A into D if you can prove you meet the standards for D.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So, reviewing some of the posts in this thread, I'm wondering if I hosed up. As I mentioned before, I interviewed for a position with local government. They stated a pay range in the job description which was pretty wide, but started at slightly less than what I'm making now and went up to a 20+% raise, in addition to being a union-represented non-exempt hourly position (as opposed to my current unrepresented exempt salary position). Honestly, even if I got the bottom of the range in pay, it would probably represent a significant increase in my hourly pay (given the extra hours I work).

All that being said, I'm currently working as a sysadmin-level IT professional in a not-for-profit. The job I'm interviewing for was described as a "PC Technician," the job description carried a lot of desires for pretty technical things (pretty much all of which I meet), and was hinting at some relatively large projects. One of the early questions was "we're converting from Office 2013 to Office 365, what are some possible obstacles you think we may run into with this?" I gave a pretty loving detailed answer to it, citing some work I'd done earlier, and some pretty specific and fairly technical obstacles. After this, they broke into some more technical questions, which ended up being things like "what is an IP address and how would you find it" and "what would you do to troubleshoot someone who can't print?" (these are very basic questions that anyone competent who has done pretty much any IT work would know inside of their first month). Once the basic questions were done, they asked me if I had any questions, and I asked some, and one of the people there followed up with a question of "why did you apply for this job?" I gave what I thought was a good answer about wanting to do some altruistic work, looking for "the last place I'll be working" at this point in my career (i.e. someplace with a public pension), and--here is where I'm wondering whether or not I hosed up--that while there were a lot of things I like about my current job, I'm underpaid and overworked, and that this job would offer either a small pay bump and a much better work/life balance, or a very large pay bump due to the overtime. I was really worried they were thinking I was overqualified, and wanted to alleviate that concern; given that it's union, government work and they already laid out a pay band, did I gently caress up?

I'm also probably going to be applying for a lot of jobs like this in the future (which is to say, jobs that I appear to be overqualified for; the sysadmin-level jobs in the local government are largely only open to internal candidates), is there a different, better way I should approach this?

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 11, 2019

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Goodpancakes posted:

Typically the government Union job has strict pay bands and offerings. You can negotiate, but it's usually within the pay band ( correct me if I'm wrong here ).

For instance you could be offered a job for "Engineering Whatever" and they have Ranges A-D paying 4000 a month at the start of A to 10,000 at the start of D. You probably can't negotiate for more then the bands, but you could negotiate yourself from A into D if you can prove you meet the standards for D.

Also the job and budget may only allow for grades A and B so even if you are qualified for D it is a no go.

This is exactly how it works at my work.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

I gave what I thought was a good answer about wanting to do some altruistic work, looking for "the last place I'll be working" at this point in my career (i.e. someplace with a public pension), and--here is where I'm wondering whether or not I hosed up--that while there were a lot of things I like about my current job, I'm underpaid and overworked, and that this job would offer either a small pay bump and a much better work/life balance, or a very large pay bump due to the overtime. I was really worried they were thinking I was overqualified, and wanted to alleviate that concern; given that it's union, government work and they already laid out a pay band, did I gently caress up?

Yeah, you hosed up. An interviewee saying they're underpaid and overworked is rarely anything but a red flag. Something like "I feel like I've achieved everything I can there and I'm ready to look forward to something more meaningful" would be better.

"Overqualified" translates to two things: 1. This person will expect a higher salary than I want to pay, and 2. This person will only be here until they can find another job. So if you're overqualified but want the job because your current job sucks real bad, the way to assuage that concern with your interviewers is not to tell them that your current job sucks; it's to assure them you want to stay long term.

Don't beat yourself senseless over it, though. If they don't hire you, it won't likely be because you hosed up that one answer. It'll more likely be because they hired someone nearer the bottom of the pay band, and would have even if you'd crushed that one question.

fakeedit: I've worked for nonprofits twice (one medium-size, one small), and my experience both times is that their executives take outlandish salaries for themselves and their posse while hammering at everyone else to accept being overworked and underpaid because we're not for profit, we all sacrifice for the good of the community! and usually also pressuring everyone to totally-voluntarily-but-you-drat-well-better-do-it-if-you-want-a-future-here volunteer their time or donate their money back to their employer on a regular basis. That's private nonprofits, not government.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

fakeedit: I've worked for nonprofits twice (one medium-size, one small), and my experience both times is that their executives take outlandish salaries for themselves and their posse while hammering at everyone else to accept being overworked and underpaid because we're not for profit, we all sacrifice for the good of the community! and usually also pressuring everyone to totally-voluntarily-but-you-drat-well-better-do-it-if-you-want-a-future-here volunteer their time or donate their money back to their employer on a regular basis. That's private nonprofits, not government.

Out of curiosity, were the outlandish salaries in relation to the private sector, or in comparison to the non-executives at the non-profit? Only reason I ask is my mother spent her last 5ish working years at a non-profit in an executive level position and took a >50% paycut to do so compared to her previous role in the private sector, with the same level of responsibilities. Just trying to understand your comparison is all!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is absolutely happening here. Executives and managers are paid well, and everyone else is scrambling around for poverty-level wages. We're a financial institution, and I'm in charge of a system that manages hundreds of millions of dollars in assets (back-end database access, domain admin, etc.), and I get paid $50,000 a year. I would say I'm surprised we haven't gotten dinged on our security audits for it, but lol at any sort of systemic accountability for anything like that in this country.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

Hi, I was told to post in here, so hopefully I can get some feedback on this:

I work in IT in New York, NY and I've been between jobs for a few months now, doing online training and the like in the meantime. I just got an offer letter pending background check as a contractor for a 10 month project for a very well known company in NYC in the financial industry. Trouble is, around the time this third party NJ-based contractor company got back to me, the company itself directly contacted me about a permanent position in a different department. I just had the second phone interview on Monday for the permanent position and I think it went very well. But I was invited on-site yesterday with a few hours notice for the contractor position and was told they wanted me on board before I even got home. I'm starting to go stir-crazy and my unemployment, which barely covers my rent and food, ain't going to last forever.

Anyway, I just got the tentative employment letter for this contractor position and it states (direct quotes, company name replaced for privacy reasons):

1. "You are expected to commence employment around (Yet to be confirmed)"
2. You agree that while this Agreement is in effect and for one year after it is no longer in effect, you as an employee shall not, directly or indirectly:
(a) perform any services in any capacity for any actual client of $COMPANY
(b) canvass, solicit or market services to, or cause any
business or entity to derive business from any actual client of $COMPANY; and/or (c) hire, employ or otherwise engage, any $COMPANY
employee or contractor or influence, canvass or solicit any $COMPANY employee or contractor.

1 alone raised my eyebrow, and 2a seems to me that, if the company directly extends an offer after I sign this, I'm utterly hosed. If that were to happen, considering it would be permanent, pay approximately the same, and have benefits out the rear end vs. this contractor position's zilch, angry would not even begin to describe me.

Therefore, I come here seeking advice on how to handle this. Should I be completely honest with them and say "Due to the stipulation of 2a, I cannot sign this as it stands because I am talking to the company directly for a full-time position. Either 2a is removed or I will have to wait until a definitive answer from the company directly, which could be weeks"? Does anyone have any idea of the likelihood of a company agreeing to that? Is it possible or is the answer "it's amusing you're even asking that"? Is 2a even enforceable, given its a New Jersey company, I live in New York, and the direct company is in New York? Could I just tell them "this isn't enforceable, please remove it from the offer and then I'll sign it"?

For a bit more context, 2018 for me was 3 positions that I all regret taking because they were not as described, I left after a few months, and the short stints look bad. I'm trying to avoid continuing this trend, but... did I mention that unemployment insurance + NYC rent is not a good combo and that sitting around studying all day is driving me up the wall?

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

CHEF!!! posted:

Hi, I was told to post in here, so hopefully I can get some feedback on this:

I work in IT in New York, NY and I've been between jobs for a few months now, doing online training and the like in the meantime. I just got an offer letter pending background check as a contractor for a 10 month project for a very well known company in NYC in the financial industry. Trouble is, around the time this third party NJ-based contractor company got back to me, the company itself directly contacted me about a permanent position in a different department. I just had the second phone interview on Monday for the permanent position and I think it went very well. But I was invited on-site yesterday with a few hours notice for the contractor position and was told they wanted me on board before I even got home. I'm starting to go stir-crazy and my unemployment, which barely covers my rent and food, ain't going to last forever.

Anyway, I just got the tentative employment letter for this contractor position and it states (direct quotes, company name replaced for privacy reasons):

1. "You are expected to commence employment around (Yet to be confirmed)"
2. You agree that while this Agreement is in effect and for one year after it is no longer in effect, you as an employee shall not, directly or indirectly:
(a) perform any services in any capacity for any actual client of $COMPANY
(b) canvass, solicit or market services to, or cause any
business or entity to derive business from any actual client of $COMPANY; and/or (c) hire, employ or otherwise engage, any $COMPANY
employee or contractor or influence, canvass or solicit any $COMPANY employee or contractor.

1 alone raised my eyebrow, and 2a seems to me that, if the company directly extends an offer after I sign this, I'm utterly hosed. If that were to happen, considering it would be permanent, pay approximately the same, and have benefits out the rear end vs. this contractor position's zilch, angry would not even begin to describe me.

Therefore, I come here seeking advice on how to handle this. Should I be completely honest with them and say "Due to the stipulation of 2a, I cannot sign this as it stands because I am talking to the company directly for a full-time position. Either 2a is removed or I will have to wait until a definitive answer from the company directly, which could be weeks"? Does anyone have any idea of the likelihood of a company agreeing to that? Is it possible or is the answer "it's amusing you're even asking that"? Is 2a even enforceable, given its a New Jersey company, I live in New York, and the direct company is in New York? Could I just tell them "this isn't enforceable, please remove it from the offer and then I'll sign it"?

For a bit more context, 2018 for me was 3 positions that I all regret taking because they were not as described, I left after a few months, and the short stints look bad. I'm trying to avoid continuing this trend, but... did I mention that unemployment insurance + NYC rent is not a good combo and that sitting around studying all day is driving me up the wall?

Don't tell them that you're interviewing with their client if you want a shot.

The enforceability of their non-compete is a legal advice question, if you want to sign and take your chances in court then you should talk to a lawyer. Who will probably want money. That you apparently don't have.

You can ask that they remove the non-compete. If the only things they're communicating to you are start date and non-compete, the non-compete is probably important to them.

The smart move is to slow your roll with the contractor to see if you can get a positive offer on the permanent position. If they want you today, they likely will want you next week. In addition you want to try and accelerate a decision with the primary, who will likely be paying you (directly, or indirectly) in either case.

Don't tell either of these orgs that you're dealing with the other.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Shout out to the person in the OP spreadsheet who negotiated using an imaginary offer from a different company lmao

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 16, 2019

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Thanatosian posted:

There is room to negotiate.

Salary ranges are set but negotiating within the range is often (but not always) doable.

I’ve found that the most malleable benefit is PTO accrual rate. Like instead of x hours of pto per paycheck you negotiate to get (x+0.5).

But it’s been known to vary.

Once you are locked into the position (past probation) then your raises will be locked in. This is almost always good in WA state because the union pay ladders tend to be relatively generous and having guaranteed raises generated by experience outweighs the variance of subjective performance based raises.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I feel that these tweets will appeal to this thread:

https://twitter.com/humanworkplace/status/1206054039336574976

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Got some government negotiation questions I'd like a perspective on:

I currently have another job offer in hand from a different government agency. It's a lateral to a more interesting job, but more work for the same pay in a more niche industry but an office with growth opportunities.

My current job is insanely easy, I have near complete autonomy, and low pressure. There are lots of jobs in the industry, but I'm capped out on my career options locally and have a new director that's actively stopped me from getting at least a detail to another spot with more options/growth for me because they "don't want to lose someone" (this is why I applied to the new job.)

Do I:

Go to the new director and negotiate for the detail (letting them know I have an offer elsewhere now), where I can do interesting work but also look for a stronger offer elsewhere in the meantime.

Take the new offer, even with the downsides (same pay, more work)

Silently turn down the new offer and keep looking.

Take the offer and just move on.

Or is there another option I'm overlooking? Because this is government I can't negotiate salary and I also can't get fired/hurt much by letting the director know I'm looking.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
It depends on your relationships and actual long term goals.

Also, I find there usually is wiggle room with government pay.

Some questions to ask yourself:

1. What’s the life cycle added value of skills learned from the new position compared to your status quo?
2. Honestly, do you want to give up your easy job?
3. If you reject this offer, what are the odds that you can find a better offer? (I.e. equally or more skill growth but with higher compensation?)
4. Are you at a point in your life where you are okay staying at the same income trajectory for a couple more years?
5. What are the risks of telling your current supervisor (who already prevented your transfer/promotion once) that you are looking for other positions compared to what potential benefits?

#5 is especially dangerous to me. I’ve only been in one work environment ever where I felt like my supervisors were sufficiently on my side to help me look for other positions.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

It depends on your relationships and actual long term goals.

Also, I find there usually is wiggle room with government pay.

Some questions to ask yourself:

1. What’s the life cycle added value of skills learned from the new position compared to your status quo?
2. Honestly, do you want to give up your easy job?
3. If you reject this offer, what are the odds that you can find a better offer? (I.e. equally or more skill growth but with higher compensation?)
4. Are you at a point in your life where you are okay staying at the same income trajectory for a couple more years?
5. What are the risks of telling your current supervisor (who already prevented your transfer/promotion once) that you are looking for other positions compared to what potential benefits?

#5 is especially dangerous to me. I’ve only been in one work environment ever where I felt like my supervisors were sufficiently on my side to help me look for other positions.

Yeah.

#1. I think it's a wash. I'd learn and grow a LOT with a great team. I'd get objectively valuable experience, but I'm not sure if that experience would be in stuff that's highly paid/valued elsewhere (lots of public engagement work, facilitation, and conflict resolution work.)

#2. Only for something that's quite compelling

#3. I'm fairly confident that I'd find something else. This is the first response to a series of applications that I have out and it's not like I'm unemployed with bills backing up.

#4. I'm early career. I guess that means it's best to aggressively look for a higher trajectory early on?

#5. My supervisor is actually amazing. It's her supervisor that's the problem. I think the only downside would be sticking around for a year following telling her, because the director might engineer a negative performance evaluation for me that would follow me to other government jobs.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
I had the most amazing experience, and it proved to me, JUST ASK FOR MORE!

A recruiter cold called me from one of those job sites I posted my resume on. I was working from home, so I was only half listening, they asked what my salary expectations are. I currently make $40 an hour or about $80,000 a year, so my distracted brain said to the recruiter "I'm looking for $90/hour as a contractor, or $80/hour as a full time employee", thinking that would be a modest raise from my current job (confusing $80k with $80/hour). Recruiter said "sorry we can only go up to $65/hour" so I said "oh, I make more than that now, no thanks."

Hour later they called back and said they could offer $75/hour, and that's when it hit me. I tried to stay calm, and I accepted. I ended up not getting the job, but WOW, it really let me know where I stand. Don't be afraid to ask for more.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SA Forums Poster posted:

I had the most amazing experience, and it proved to me, JUST ASK FOR MORE!

A recruiter cold called me from one of those job sites I posted my resume on. I was working from home, so I was only half listening, they asked what my salary expectations are. I currently make $40 an hour or about $80,000 a year, so my distracted brain said to the recruiter "I'm looking for $90/hour as a contractor, or $80/hour as a full time employee", thinking that would be a modest raise from my current job (confusing $80k with $80/hour). Recruiter said "sorry we can only go up to $65/hour" so I said "oh, I make more than that now, no thanks."

Hour later they called back and said they could offer $75/hour, and that's when it hit me. I tried to stay calm, and I accepted. I ended up not getting the job, but WOW, it really let me know where I stand. Don't be afraid to ask for more.

Yeah, worst case they'll just say no

My most recent job change was
"We'll give you x"
"Can you give me x+y with a z sign-on bonus"
"Okay"

Of course this was after nailing the interview

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I’ve been talking to one of our competitors about a sales engineering role. I’ve been in professional services since I graduated 8 years ago so this will be a bit of a career switch and I need a bit of help prepping for the final offer negotiation stage.

A bit of background: they reached out to me a few weeks ago due to my experience in this niche field (enterprise NoSQL) as it’s very difficult to find people with both relevant and customer-facing experience. Compensation came up once during the first call and after a gentle parry they agreed to drop the topic until they were ready to make an offer which was a good sign. Another REALLY good sign was during my first real interview with their VP when he told me that they’re trying to more than double their headcount in the next three months which is an extremely aggressive target, in my opinion, and also puts a lot of leverage on my side.

We’re in the process of setting up the final technical screening and interview which should fall sometime around New Year’s week. I’m pretty confident that this is going to go well so I need to be ready to talk numbers if / when it comes to it.

Right now as a consultant I make a pretty decent base salary and earn 12% quarterly on top of that as long as I hit my utilization rates. In the three years I’ve worked here I’ve never missed a quarter so this bonus has been extremely reliable. The bonus in this sales engineering position is expected to be 70/30 or ~42% of base. In addition the targets / commissions are based on regional performance, not individual sales executives. Looking at salaries reported on glassdoor it looks like the numbers line up with what they told me. Also working for their competitor I have unique insight into this market and know that business has been very good lately- also evidenced by their aggressive growth.

Obviously I won’t/haven’t reveal to them that the main reason I’m even talking to them is because I’m very unhappy with my pay. I feel like I can make a strong case for the upper end of their pay band due to my unique experience in the field along with their aggressive targets for growth. If I can manage that it’d be a 15% increase in base salary alone, and an almost 45% increase in total comp. So even worst case scenario if the bonuses totally fall through I’m still coming out ahead working a job that’s way less stressful. My negotiating position is strong as well because my position at my current company is strong and while being paid less than my peers- the pay itself is still pretty drat good.

How does this all sound? Am I missing anything? Anyone have a unique insight into technical sales engineering that I should be aware of?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
How much negotiation power can I get out of suppliers for my business? I run a business that has to find non-routine suppliers for jobs, I travel a lot. Things like pre-fab bridges, steel beams, glu-lam, lots of concrete formed products, aggregate, and heavy equipment. This is usually in $10k+ levels. Part of my problem is I don't have existing relationships with suppliers since we move around.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

TrueChaos posted:

Out of curiosity, were the outlandish salaries in relation to the private sector, or in comparison to the non-executives at the non-profit? Only reason I ask is my mother spent her last 5ish working years at a non-profit in an executive level position and took a >50% paycut to do so compared to her previous role in the private sector, with the same level of responsibilities. Just trying to understand your comparison is all!
This is way off-topic for this thread, but go look up the Form 990 disclosure for your favorite nonprofit regularly begging for money (let's say Wikipedia.) You will see plenty of executives making mid-6 figures.

It's silly to compare nonprofit with private sector executive salaries; the latter are inflated, but the former are supposed be low by design.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

thatguy posted:

How much negotiation power can I get out of suppliers for my business? I run a business that has to find non-routine suppliers for jobs, I travel a lot. Things like pre-fab bridges, steel beams, glu-lam, lots of concrete formed products, aggregate, and heavy equipment. This is usually in $10k+ levels. Part of my problem is I don't have existing relationships with suppliers since we move around.

So what do they get in return from you for lower prices?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I received a job offer from Company A and would like a double check some things with this thread. The whole interview process was super nice, was never pressured for a number. Luckily, I have more info about comp than a lot of people in this position. My friend was hired at this company earlier this year (he graduated a semester earlier than me from the same university and major) in the same position as I interviewed for. We have very similar profiles as far as education/experience, it's first job out of college for both of us. I was offered the same amount as he makes (50k plus yearly bonus) - also he had to negotiate up to this number from 48 i believe. Because of a new grad nature of this position, I don't have a ton of leverage obviously. I still want to counter (with 55k), but I'm less convinced now that it will be fruitful. I have a feeling they won't budge on base comp but maybe I can angle my way into more PTO days this way?

Also there is a Company B, where I made it through the first round of interviews and waiting to hear back as everyone returns from winter closure there. From several people who work there I know they pay more, mid to high 50s for new grads for an equivalent type of position, but I need to respond to Company A by the end of the week.

What I am really looking for is reaffirmation that the likely hood of Company A freaking out and rescinding my offer is close to nil as I'm new to negotiating in this field.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

What I am really looking for is reaffirmation that the likely hood of Company A freaking out and rescinding my offer is close to nil as I'm new to negotiating in this field.

Your friend on the inside will know more about this than we will. He's been working there for what, six months? What does he say about the company? A few months at rock bottom won't give you any useful insight to how the company is managed, but he at least has seen things like what's morale generally like, what does he think of his immediate boss, how many people he knows have left the company in the few months he's been there.

Most likely there's no risk of them rescinding the offer, but at rock bottom entry level they'll probably hold firm and give you a take-it-or-leave-it.

The comp level of your first real job (actual job duties being equal) is an important determiner of your lifetime earnings. The baseline play is take whichever job offers more--if the job duties are equal. If a job offers slightly less money but better resume building, that's probably better. (And I mean actual job duties right now, not promises of duties sometime in the indeterminate future.)

There are a lot of variables, but start with salary and go from there. If Job A offers $50K and job B offers $56K, there need to be some good, concrete reasons to go with Job A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Company A is growing and business is booming, they are hiring to keep up with demand. No one left recently, turnover seems low; i interviewed with everyone in the local office and a couple in the satellite offices and people have been there for a while. The job also gives me better opportunity down the line to pivot to more lucrative positions in my field (my speculation here of course based on research). My friend really likes his job and bosses.

Just to be clear I don't have an offer from company B, but they have a reputation for having the highest salaries in town due to them being a large govt contractor so maybe that skews things. One BIG pro for Company A is the 3 mile commute - which I value a lot (vs 17 miles for company B).