Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Veib posted:

Instead the 5000 teenagers of 1999 went "wow Tyler Durden is so cool and badass"

We should all be judged by the things we thought were cool as children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

im glad we've successfully owned a bunch of hypothetical idiots over the past two pages, the ps4 thread is safe at last

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bust Rodd posted:

Joker discourse was really something else. The new late Millenial/Zoomer idea that media that depicts unsavory or dangerous ideas and characters have to be vilified on screen or else we’re promoting and normalizing these ideas is just pants-on-head. Normal people don’t watch Scarface and go “Scarface was the good guy, murdering people with a chainsaw and killing all those people!”. Anybody who walks out of The Joker thinking he was the hero of that story has the reading comprehension of a 10 year old and shouldn’t be watching rated R movies unsupervised!

https://twitter.com/thelonelyphoton/status/1210387694385274881?s=21

The concern was that the ones who do think he is the hero are the kind of people that would get inspired to engage in mass shootings, especially school ones. Considering how often they occur in the US, it's not surprising a few people were concerned a film might poke that anthill.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

i used to do this but then i met people IRL that thought Joker was the best film of the decade and it got too much for me to handle and now im banned from classes.

I watched this literally yesterday and I thought it sucked big time. It had the most on-the-nose writing I've ever seen in a film. Like, hell, it was written worse than most GAMES!!!!!

e: the director of the joker 100% thinks joker is the good guy, if you've seen his other films and think he's anything other than a psychopath then I don't know what to tell you. Some of the most cynical films I've ever seen!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The concern was that the ones who do think he is the hero are the kind of people that would get inspired to engage in mass shootings, especially school ones. Considering how often they occur in the US, it's not surprising a few people were concerned a film might poke that anthill.

White Nationalists who commit mass murder in the US are quoting the President of the United States and The Turner Diaries, not Brad Pitt and Joaquin Phoenix, maybe we should be worried about that instead of movies about comic books...

The Joker “inspiring terrorism and domestic violence” was a fabricated media campaign that insisted over and over again that the film WOULD be problematic and WOULD incite violence and it just didn’t because A) its just a movie about a murder clown and B) the US corporate media can’t just come out and say “it’s actually our racist white nationalist president and his cabinet of Nazis inspiring all these murders”

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I am going to buy Wattam.

https://youtu.be/q_0xNRMTaw4

Not that I wasn’t already sold, but that video really did it for me.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

Joker discourse was really something else. The new late Millenial/Zoomer idea that media that depicts unsavory or dangerous ideas and characters have to be vilified on screen or else we’re promoting and normalizing these ideas is just pants-on-head. Normal people don’t watch Scarface and go “Scarface was the good guy, murdering people with a chainsaw and killing all those people!”. Anybody who walks out of The Joker thinking he was the hero of that story has the reading comprehension of a 10 year old and shouldn’t be watching rated R movies unsupervised!

https://twitter.com/thelonelyphoton/status/1210387694385274881?s=21

The controversy was viral marketing

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kilometers Davis posted:

I am going to buy Wattam.

https://youtu.be/q_0xNRMTaw4

Not that I wasn’t already sold, but that video really did it for me.

I just beat it yesterday. Its fun and cute. Not really a classic like KD was. Theres very little in wattam for a score attack gamer or a strategizer like there was in rolling the katamari around.

Its just a cute story of quasi puzzles with some cumbersome controls but its still makes you happy the whole way through

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I envied Tyler Durden’s ability to not give a flying gently caress about anything but that was me being a nihilist 12 year old who thought it was cool to not give a flying gently caress about anything.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

colachute posted:

I envied Tyler Durden’s ability to not give a flying gently caress about anything but that was me being a nihilist 12 year old who thought it was cool to not give a flying gently caress about anything.

How'd you feel after watching Office Space?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Hmmm according to Sandler’s IMDB he released Spanglish and 50 First Dates between PDL and RoM, so I guess he was really trying to break away from just playing different versions of Billy Madison forever.

No no, see, PDL is absolutely a Sandler movie. PTA is a huge fan of his movies and wanted to make one where you follow that type of character to logical conclusions. All the ingredients are there: weird quiet awkward Sandler with sudden bursts of infantile violence, being teased mercilessly by his family, a hair brained dream, it's all Sandler as hell just filtered thru PTAs lense.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

BisterdDave posted:

How'd you feel after watching Office Space?

Lazy.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

How many of ya'll were appreciating the architecture in Control? I'm way late to the discussion but I remember some people talking about it. After seeing several sectors now I can say I really love it. It reminds me of several institutional buildings here in my city, especially a couple Brutalist ones, without being exactly like any of them. The building totally nails that mix of bureaucratic mundanity and grand, civic pride design (that barely exists today, thanks austerity).

Of course the design isn't just for architecture class but for playing a game and it works just as well in that regard, too. The cover never looks like conspicuous waist-high barriers everywhere even though it often is. And each enemy encounter room has a good mix of elevations to keep things interesting and the floors and catwalks act as additional high-low cover. I don't even have Levitate yet to take full advantage of the different levels but one of my favourite things to do is jump off a height and use Evade at the last second to avoid fall damage, especially in the Research Sector atrium.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Control managed to make an office building terrifying and comforting and alien and boring all at the same time, it’s a masterpiece.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lobok posted:

How many of ya'll were appreciating the architecture in Control? I'm way late to the discussion but I remember some people talking about it. After seeing several sectors now I can say I really love it. It reminds me of several institutional buildings here in my city, especially a couple Brutalist ones, without being exactly like any of them. The building totally nails that mix of bureaucratic mundanity and grand, civic pride design (that barely exists today, thanks austerity).

Of course the design isn't just for architecture class but for playing a game and it works just as well in that regard, too. The cover never looks like conspicuous waist-high barriers everywhere even though it often is. And each enemy encounter room has a good mix of elevations to keep things interesting and the floors and catwalks act as additional high-low cover. I don't even have Levitate yet to take full advantage of the different levels but one of my favourite things to do is jump off a height and use Evade at the last second to avoid fall damage, especially in the Research Sector atrium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n7ylXPueYE

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Any word on what the free games are going to be for PS+ next month?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm gonna wildly guess doom 2016

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Can't check it out now but this video is definitely for me to see later. I like the Brutalist buildings in our city more than most, I'd say. And our city is probably overrepresented by them compared to other North American cities because of the era in which we really came into our own. More than the concrete itself what I like about them and what I like about the Oldest House in Control is the use of lighting. With modern buildings there's so much glass but with Brutalism the light allowed in is very selective so you get lot of contrast, with well-defined patterns of light and shadow, and you can see the rays of sunshine. Brutalist interiors tend to be very dramatic/cinematic.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Any Wonder Boy fans in here played Aggelos? I'd love a Wonder Boylike but I dunno how well it stacks up in practice.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lobok posted:

Can't check it out now but this video is definitely for me to see later. I like the Brutalist buildings in our city more than most, I'd say. And our city is probably overrepresented by them compared to other North American cities because of the era in which we really came into our own. More than the concrete itself what I like about them and what I like about the Oldest House in Control is the use of lighting. With modern buildings there's so much glass but with Brutalism the light allowed in is very selective so you get lot of contrast, with well-defined patterns of light and shadow, and you can see the rays of sunshine. Brutalist interiors tend to be very dramatic/cinematic.

The lighting and architecture in Control really reminded me of the work of Hoyte van Hoytema on Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy as well as Vittorio Storaro's work on The Conformist

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
watta and untitled goose game looks like great games to play with kids

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
2011 Tinker Tailor is so well-shot

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Love how the moment control came out goons began tripping over themselves to say brutalism with a capital b

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

You guys talking about Yakuza 7...was the western date announced? I thought it's just sometime in 2020.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

fridge corn posted:

Love how the moment control came out goons began tripping over themselves to say brutalism with a capital b

Tell us about how you knew what brutalist was before it was cool, grandpa

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Goons have always been superficially fascinated with brutalism, there have been cool architecture threads in GBS for years and it's always well-represented.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wolfenstein The New Order had some similar architecture

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Housh posted:

You guys talking about Yakuza 7...was the western date announced? I thought it's just sometime in 2020.

No date yet

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Steve Yun posted:

Tell us about how you knew what brutalist was before it was cool, grandpa

To clarify, like the aforementioned goons, brutalism is also the only school of architecture that I can both a.) name, and b.) readily identify with reasonable accuracy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If you learn your architecture from video games there's also Art Deco

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

fridge corn posted:

Truly a Brutal own.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Brutalism sucks. I live in Ottawa and like 60% of the city follows that style.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Brutalism sucking is what makes it own in media like Robocop, A Clockwork Orange, Control, and Dredd

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Brütalism Legend

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Governements, Corporations, Universities... all they choose a architecture that send the message that the individual is weak and the institution is a house of giants. If the message is true or not, thats for a different thread.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Morpheus posted:

Brutalism sucks. I live in Ottawa and like 60% of the city follows that style.

Ottawa's climate is also 60% harsh, cold, and grey so that doesn't help.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

you know what capital b thing is cool. the video game Baroque

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh hey, Dead or Alive 6 core fighters is free for PS+ subscribers

Edit lol it’s only 4 characters

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 27, 2019

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The Brutalist Barchitecture underscores the tones of Bauthority in Control starring Besse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

My favorite B game is Ball of Booty Modern Borefare