Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
So... am I doing things right or wrong by making my cities disconnected 'islands' (res/com/ind) which can get to other islands only by the highway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Fintilgin posted:

So... am I doing things right or wrong by making my cities disconnected 'islands' (res/com/ind) which can get to other islands only by the highway?

That's probably going to bite you in the rear end once your city gets bigger. IIRC this guide is pretty good for demonstrating some of the best options for road/zoning layouts:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=475455648

Also try to make sure that all of your roads are maintaining a true straight line if they go through an intersection or else the game's traffic ai will treat them as having different right of ways on each side, which can cause a huge amount of pointless trouble

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

Fintilgin posted:

In my experience, having only one way in/out of an area is the recipe for a total loving chaos that is really hard to fix once you realize its a problem. Specially with how C:S AI handles

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Is there a way to get mods on the PS4 version?

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Has Colossal Order spoken about any new projects they're working on? Or are they just going to pinch out these DLCs until the end of time

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

ROFLburger posted:

Has Colossal Order spoken about any new projects they're working on? Or are they just going to pinch out these DLCs until the end of time

I haven’t heard any noise about a sequel, which is a shame cause the game has been for like five years now.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
They haven't announced or released any new DLC since Campus in May, other than the 0 dev effort content creator pack. They have been sticking to a pretty consistent schedule of 2 releases per year in spring and fall for the past several years so I would not be surprised if a sequel or new project announcement is upcoming.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I just got a weird death-spiral in my city. I'd made it over 32k residents, 2mil in the bank, pretty decent services, and then wham!- out of nowhere half my city gets sick. Then there's this free-fall of people dying and leaving town and then suddenly not enough of a tax base is left to pay for all the services of a "big" city which then collapses all of it and I poo poo through 2mil in like three years but meanwhile no one is replacing the sick/left/dead cims.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Make sure your water source isn't near pollution to prevent everyone from getting sick.

I'm not convinced this is your issue, but it could be happening in the background, masked by your likely water contamination, but waves of people dying in a city is a known thing to happen. There are two contributing factors from what I've been able to figure out. The first is that you build a bunch of residential all at once. The game moves in the same age people into your neighborhood all at once and the death wave you're experiencing is all of them getting old at the same time. Sort of a silly unrealistic thing to happen, but it does. If this keeps happening over and over, it's because you actually have too many death care services, reacting to that that wave as fast as it happens, resting the clock all over again. To converge the oscillation try removing some death care so it takes longer to remove the dead, about half the time period of the wave, to introduce an interference.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Death spiral is a common thing, just bulldoze the affected plauge houses, double check your water source, medical and crematorium coverage, and let cims rebuild. They need a crazy amount of death care.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Suspect Bucket posted:

. They need a crazy amount of death care.

My cemeteries are next to the landfills... Why don't they take the hint rather than demand more cemeteries?

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Went to an earlier save and I think the problem is a perfect storm of factors coming together at once: bad water from a few spots, traffic comes to a crawl at a few choke-points so even if I have plenty of services it takes forever for issues to get resolved from tiles, and I also learned that services don't just work in their local area they'll prowl the whole town.

frogge fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 19, 2019

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
When I first started playing, I hated the look of polluted ground so I'd generally run farming/forestry (before I discovered mods like No Radioactive Desert to hide it). First city I built after installing that, I lost track of one little water tower I stuck on the outskirts of town that ended up becoming my industrial area. It wasn't enough to kill everyone, but I had hospitals every three blocks. I should see if I still have that save somewhere.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Quick question. What's the mod everyone is using to texture the undersides of overpasses and walls of sunken highways with that really nice finished mechanically stabilized earth texture?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I just picked the game back up after almost a year and am trying to remember basic things. One thing I noticed is my map has no rivers, only a lake, so I hope I can keep the clean water and poopy water separated.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dick Trauma posted:

I just picked the game back up after almost a year and am trying to remember basic things. One thing I noticed is my map has no rivers, only a lake, so I hope I can keep the clean water and poopy water separated.

Use water towers.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Use water towers.

To store the poopy water.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Use water towers.

Get a load of this fellow who doesn't enjoy cholera.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Dig a big hole to pump the poopy water into.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Luneshot posted:

EDIT: This is not snark BTW but a dumb epidemiology joke.

https://www.ph.ucla.edu/epi/snow/snowcricketarticle.html

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Luneshot posted:

Poop volcano is clearly the better option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFGglXjZ4vc

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Gadzuko posted:

Poop volcano is clearly the better option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFGglXjZ4vc

The best option is to set up the outflows so they run through a dam then get sucked up into an isolated set of pumps which then outflow the sewage again.

POO POWER.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Instead of using water towers I focused on sewage and got assets that go together to make a waste treatment facility. They create noise, pollution and trash but no sewage which seems like a fair trade. Will the poop in the lake every clear out by itself now that I deactivated the sewer pump?

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
This was actually a major project in my first city in this game.

The map I picked had a dry canyon that eventually became a river that flowed into the sea. I read about generating hydro power from sewage, so I put a really high dam at the mouth of the river and rebuilt all of my sewer outlets at the head of the dry canyon. This was actually the first time I saw the extent of the fluids simulation in this game - hadn't experienced a tsunami up until this point.

By tsunami I don't mean the random disaster, but the actual one I created when I unpaused the game. Turns out a single sewer outlet has quite a large volume of effluent throughput. Eight of them, even more so. Everything was fine as the unfathomable surge of my city's wastes blasted its way down the canyon towards the dam. The brown apocalypse ran up to the lip of the structure, and then settled back down in an unholy backwash that ran all the way back up to the headwaters, overflowed the banks, and inundated a quarter of my entire city as uncounted millions of sinkers and floaters blindly sought sea level via my streets and avenues.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Spend all day on this for some reason. Still working on it too. It's a 6 way, fully defined, interchange. Gore points are a pita.

This is on my first try hard ploppable RICO city. Enjoying the nitty gritty details.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Cars were a mistake.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

There appears to be a ton of wind on this map so I'm going to finally try windpower instead of stuffing coal plants into a dense pocket of gangrenous filth.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dick Trauma posted:

There appears to be a ton of wind on this map so I'm going to finally try windpower instead of stuffing coal plants into a dense pocket of gangrenous filth.

Awwww but that's the best kind of filth.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

um excuse me posted:

Spend all day on this for some reason. Still working on it too. It's a 6 way, fully defined, interchange. Gore points are a pita.

This is on my first try hard ploppable RICO city. Enjoying the nitty gritty details.

I haven't played this game in a very long time. I check this thread now and then though. You still have to do this kind of thing to make traffic manageable huh

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

the core game never really evolved. If you want to redline or be real lovely to certain areas, like real cities, you basically have to just plot stuff.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I could make an ugly as hell one thats much smaller, but when you start introducing realism you have to consider things like the grades, radii of turns, speed restrictions, right only exits and merges, pillar locations, and shortest physical length to reduce cost.

But I do bet that would flow a shitload of traffic.

It's on the edge of a map and actually doesn't have more than maybe a dozen cars a minute, but I want it to be the main arterial flow for an entirely different city in the future.

Don't know if you guys watch try hard YouTubers, but the guy who's building the city Avalon built an even larger interchange that inspired mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PisfYlHbqmU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:stonklol:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Macaluso posted:

I haven't played this game in a very long time. I check this thread now and then though. You still have to do this kind of thing to make traffic manageable huh

you never had to do that

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

um excuse me posted:

I could make an ugly as hell one thats much smaller, but when you start introducing realism you have to consider things like the grades, radii of turns, speed restrictions, right only exits and merges, pillar locations, and shortest physical length to reduce cost.

It's on the edge of a map and actually doesn't have more than maybe a dozen cars a minute, but I want it to be the main arterial flow for an entirely different city in the future.

Don't know if you guys watch try hard YouTubers, but the guy who's building the city Avalon built an even larger interchange that inspired mine.

That is some cyberpunk nightmare poo poo

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

um excuse me posted:

Oh god no

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Junji Ito's guide to urban planning.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I love Avalon but I wish he would put a little less effort in. That downtown and two interchanges is like two years of work.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Macaluso posted:

Nah traffic is managed by building bus stops everywhere and having 80% of your population waiting for a bus instead of driving.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

That is some cyberpunk nightmare poo poo

That's...basically the goal.

Mameluke posted:

I love Avalon but I wish he would put a little less effort in. That downtown and two interchanges is like two years of work.

A year of work with a year of hiatus while he finished up college and settled into new job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OwlFancier posted:

Junji Ito's guide to urban planning.

It's uncanny.