Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Queen Combat posted:

Seems that way

The mod staff of 98 percent of this forum will at least slap down hard on any kind of that posting outside of Nu-FYAD. I know it's a small consolation, but by and large the posters on here aren't cool with slurs and dumb bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Why does anyone care what lowtax says, he's never on here and its always other people handling the forum at this point

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
FYAD still terrible? I am shocked. Shocked.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Also we had a mod in that thread basically say "Yeah im going to reverse that Ban lowtax just did since that was hosed"which is realllly odd to have a mod say.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Tardcore posted:

Why does anyone care what lowtax says, he's never on here and its always other people handling the forum at this point

He can appoint moderators and administrators. He may be hands-off most of the time, but it's still his site, and if he so chooses he unleash the floodgates and allow any sort of behavior he wishes while probating or banning anyone who disagrees.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

He can appoint moderators and administrators. He may be hands-off most of the time, but it's still his site, and if he so chooses he unleash the floodgates and allow any sort of behavior he wishes while probating or banning anyone who disagrees.

It hasnt happened yet, no reason to believe it will

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Tardcore posted:

It hasnt happened yet, no reason to believe it will

We're seeing it happen now. One of the FYAD moderators is a transphobe who openly espouses transphobic opinions and endorses other transphobic posters. When confronted with it, Lowtax became defensive and made a serious of bad faith arguments, including the thought-provoking line "you won't believe me because I'm a CIS white heterosexual male."

That's what this entire situation is about.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tardcore posted:

Would be nice to have the owner change with the times, is all. And I don't think Lowtax is hateful or anything, just dealing with a lot and kind of not here.

The best part about this site is that it's got people from all sorts of backgrounds and races, professions, genders, orientations, etc. And I've gotten to know a lot of the posters over the last ten (yikes!) years, and I don't want any of them driven out unless they're intolerant assholes. This site is a community, and if you're driving off well-meaning people for basic things about who they are instead of being lovely posters/fuckin' nazis, then it's kind of a hosed up community.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

We're seeing it happen now. One of the FYAD moderators is a transphobe who openly espouses transphobic opinions. That's what this entire situation is about.

I missed this bit, which one?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Tardcore posted:

I missed this bit, which one?

Beet Wagon posted:

Hey uhh, I dunno where else to say this but man it seems real weird that we're giving buttons to one of the folks who literally got banned for being an rear end in a top hat to trans posters like two weeks ago when this went down

That's weird, right?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

That is kind of weird

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I guess when it's FYAD the bar is "did not actively use a slur but kind of went along with it instead"? I'm with you on that one.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Oh god, I went to the thread.
Watching the site implode in real time is wild.
Holy hell.
Goddamn.

Pull up, Lowtax.

I wish I had not gone to the thread.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Like, as far as middle aged men who grew up in the midwest go, Lowtax could certainly be a lot worse, but uh, he needs to be a lot better or just step back.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Seems like a good post, I’m sure the responses were extremely normal.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
I'm just wondering when QCS is going to be reopened!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

ExplodingSims posted:

Like, as far as middle aged men who grew up in the midwest go, Lowtax could certainly be a lot worse, but uh, he needs to be a lot better or just step back.

hes not going to. nobody is going to step back.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Slanderer posted:

Seems like a good post, I’m sure the responses were extremely normal.

hahaha yep kramering into the trans thread to tell us all what a good ally he is and point at the blatantly unsolved problem to insist that it's solved sure is good, solid posting

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

it was months, if not years, between loosechanj.jpg and axemaniac.jpg first getting posted and something actually happening.

sometimes you gotta keep posting receipts of bad actors to drive it into the heads of the people in charge.

hell, how many months did it go on with that last e/n mod?

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Considering he's dealing with another awful divorce and his soon to be ex-wife literally kidnapped his child I don't blame him for being not all there. He probably should have left both forums alone until after all that.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Considering he's dealing with another awful divorce and his soon to be ex-wife literally kidnapped his child I don't blame him for being not all there. He probably should have left both forums alone until after all that.

agreed. he should not have posted. but he did and continues to and banned a trans poster for disagreeing with him.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Tribladeofchaos posted:

I'm not endorsing or damning his behavior either way here, but I'm pretty sure people have been demanding he pay attention to the forums in light of recent events

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Brute Squad posted:

it was months, if not years, between loosechanj.jpg and axemaniac.jpg first getting posted and something actually happening.

sometimes you gotta keep posting receipts of bad actors to drive it into the heads of the people in charge.

hell, how many months did it go on with that last e/n mod?

I'm not super up on all the ins and outs, but from what I'm remembering it was a QCS thread started by FYAD that finally put an end to that one.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Tribladeofchaos posted:

And his mother was just diagnosed with leukemia.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

glad the other bitter ex-mod of the doxxing forum is doing well

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

IIRC when he first posted on Facebook about the wife/ex-wife clusterfuck he mentioned in a comment that he doesn't have the "keys" to the forums anymore, and that those responsibilities are split between a handful of core admins.

There is no reason anyone with buttons on this site *needs* to listen to Lowtax anymore, but for some reason he managed to con JoYOS and Smythe into reopening FYAD.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Polaron posted:

And his mother was just diagnosed with leukemia.

Fuuck. That's a doozy. There's pretty survivable leukemia but even the best case of that diagnosis is a nightmare parade of treatements and chemo and transplants.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Kazinsal posted:

There is no reason anyone with buttons on this site *needs* to listen to Lowtax anymore, but for some reason he managed to con JoYOS and Smythe into reopening FYAD.

Other than the fact that he owns the place?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bloom posted:

Other than the fact that he owns the place?

what do you mean, it worked out so well the last time a bunch of moderators disagreed with lowtax about running the website

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He doesn't have to "con" anyone. He owns the site.

Alaois posted:

what do you mean, it worked out so well the last time a bunch of moderators disagreed with lowtax about running the website

Yeah, also this.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

IIRC when he first posted on Facebook about the wife/ex-wife clusterfuck he mentioned in a comment that he doesn't have the "keys" to the forums anymore, and that those responsibilities are split between a handful of core admins.

I think he meant he didn't have access to the keys at the time because he was out of town.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the deepest irony that I enjoy in all this, is that the mantle of "being the folk that relentlessly dogpile the admins to formulate a response to a known but ignored problem, turning more and more embittered with the state of the site with every eighty page long thread battle with idiots, and becoming the specter haunting the brains of gbs posters" was passed from fyad to tgrs

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Alaois posted:

which drama was that again?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

razorrozar posted:

hahaha yep kramering into the trans thread to tell us all what a good ally he is and point at the blatantly unsolved problem to insist that it's solved sure is good, solid posting

I think his post was pretty good :). Have a pleasant evening!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Kazinsal posted:

Kay Kessler posted:

I think he meant he didn't have access to the keys at the time because he was out of town.

This. Don't remember if he posted it here or on facebook, but lowtax's forums account is locked down (somehow) so he can only log into it at home.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm not super up on all the ins and outs, but from what I'm remembering it was a QCS thread started by FYAD that finally put an end to that one.

it wasn't FYAD alone, but they definitely signal boosted e/n mod's bullshit in QCS.

Brute Squad has a new favorite as of 06:24 on Dec 28, 2019

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017

Andrast posted:

which drama was that again?

Was that Shmorky? I know there were some permas and a mass exodus.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Because Lowtax' daughter dared to state a negative opinion about Shmorky. It's not like they've made his life hell for years and given her plenty of reason to hate them. Perish the thought- it *must* be the Taxman filling her head with hate

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Was that Shmorky? I know there were some permas and a mass exodus.

I think the Shmorky drama was mostly LPers right? They made their own offshoot site and like most offshoot sites was poo poo and had really dumb rules.

One of my favorite parts in that era was someone who self banned because of the stupid newbie avatar being of Trump. They posted this big long message about how offensive it was and how CLEARLY Lowtax was a trump supporter and that they wouldn't stick around. I hope someone can find that again because it was so goddamn funny.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Shmorky thing is one of those weird times when there was a huge exodus of posters/mods, but I honestly didn't even notice until it was brought up in some random thread (possibly this one or a previous iteration) like months later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Solice Kirsk posted:

The Shmorky thing is one of those weird times when there was a huge exodus of posters/mods, but I honestly didn't even notice until it was brought up in some random thread (possibly this one or a previous iteration) like months later.

50% of the people forums have no idea that any drama happened in the past 2 weeks. If you only look in your bookmarks and stay in those lanes, its very easy to ignore everything else.