Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
NIMBY?
NIMBY
YIMBY
I can't afford my medicine.
View Results

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I just listened to Malcolm Gladwells podcast episode about golf club tax breaks in LA and holy gently caress appropriate them now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Lol it's actually in the California constitution, not the LA county rules, and it's literally just for golf clubs. Not sports or outdoors activities or something, just golf.

E: here it is, beautiful:
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=CONS&sectionNum=SEC.%2010.&article=XIII

quote:

Real property in a parcel of 10 or more acres which, on the lien date and for 2 or more years immediately preceding, has been used exclusively for nonprofit golf course purposes shall be assessed for taxation on the basis of such use, plus any value attributable to mines, quarries, hydrocarbon substances, or other minerals in the property or the right to extract hydrocarbons or other minerals from the property.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 10, 2019

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
People who make laws tend to like golf. Similar to how cycling gets higher profile treatment in planning than pedestrianism (policy development, not necessarily decision making and implementation) because a whole bunch of civil servants are white bike dads.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Solemn Sloth posted:

People who make laws tend to like golf. Similar to how cycling gets higher profile treatment in planning than pedestrianism (policy development, not necessarily decision making and implementation) because a whole bunch of civil servants are white bike dads.
By default there are protected walk lanes, aka sidewalks, everywhere, but putting a protected bike lane on one street is a major political effort. Same deal for walk signals vs bike signals. Biking is mostly treated like garbage compared to walking.

Maybe biking gets more attention precisely because building decent infrastructure for it is controversial, but acting like that means it's treated better even in "policy development", or that it gets special treatment the way golf does here, makes no sense.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I agree in principle, although it isn't true that sidewalks are everywhere in certain countries.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Sure, and even in the US there are some cities/neighborhoods where there aren't sidewalks everywhere. Nevertheless, them being on every block by default is pretty normal, whereas a physically protected bike lane is treated as a special unicorn that has to be debated and fought for. You can argue whether or not it makes sense to call those projects "high profile" because of this, but it's a terrible comparison to make with something like golf that's getting special, beneficial treatment.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cicero posted:

Sure, and even in the US there are some cities/neighborhoods where there aren't sidewalks everywhere. Nevertheless, them being on every block by default is pretty normal, whereas a physically protected bike lane is treated as a special unicorn that has to be debated and fought for. You can argue whether or not it makes sense to call those projects "high profile" because of this, but it's a terrible comparison to make with something like golf that's getting special, beneficial treatment.

100% agree. The idea that transport quality or safety matter to people that aren't driving is entirely foreign to so many places, and any attempt to make things better is seen as radical.

If anyone has some good #bancars AV material I'll buy a couple.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

What are folks thoughts on transfer of development rights (TDR) bylaws?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

pointsofdata posted:

Lol it's actually in the California constitution, not the LA county rules, and it's literally just for golf clubs. Not sports or outdoors activities or something, just golf.

E: here it is, beautiful:
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=CONS&sectionNum=SEC.%2010.&article=XIII

Wait, am I reading this correctly and this law says "if you have a golf club in the middle of the most expensive dense neighborhood in LA, then we'll pretend 'golf club' is your highest and best use"? :what:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
TDR is one of those band aid policies that pops up because local jurisdictions don't really have the authority or resources to effectively restrict sprawl. it is well intentioned but kind of a bad outcome for conservation simply because of the immobility of jurisdictional fragmentation and personal property rights which permit nearly unchecked sprawl in the first place. like i'm glad TDR exists because it's better than nothing on a pragmatic level, but on a theoretical level we could be doing so much more with direct creation of protected community greenspace

Quorum posted:

Wait, am I reading this correctly and this law says "if you have a golf club in the middle of the most expensive dense neighborhood in LA, then we'll pretend 'golf club' is your highest and best use"? :what:

yeah, leisure activities get a lot of protections if it's an activity which wealthy politicians happen to enjoy

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Quorum posted:

Yes. There's another tax scam where properties which were built or had a change in ownership after some date in the past (1978?) Get revalued every few years. Lots of private (non profit!) golf clubs are owned by their members, who slowly die off and get replaced by new ones. There was a court case a few years ago, and they decided that this doesn't count as a change in ownership even if only a tiny fraction of the pre cutoff owners remain. End result is that private golf clubs pay a tiny fraction of their fair taxes (Gladwells example is about 0.1%)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Ship of Theseus but in tax evasion form.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
that's not really a scam so much as prop 13 is a bad law

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Speaking of redlining/wealth generation the Evanston illinois meeting on reparations for black people is tomorrow night and will be streamed online. So far the aldermen/women are saying that the plan is to use the 10mil on promoting black homeownership so I'm hopeful theres more details announced on how they plan to do this

Should be streamed here, https://www.facebook.com/RobinSimmonsWard5 7 pm cst Wednesday

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

pointsofdata posted:

Yes. There's another tax scam where properties which were built or had a change in ownership after some date in the past (1978?) Get revalued every few years. Lots of private (non profit!) golf clubs are owned by their members, who slowly die off and get replaced by new ones. There was a court case a few years ago, and they decided that this doesn't count as a change in ownership even if only a tiny fraction of the pre cutoff owners remain. End result is that private golf clubs pay a tiny fraction of their fair taxes (Gladwells example is about 0.1%)

This does seem to suggest one glaring loophole, and now I'd like to see a movie where a desperate civil engineer teams up with a bounty hunter with a passion for urbanism to hunt down the last original members of the city's golf club.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

"Things that are illegal to build in most American cities now, a thread": https://twitter.com/CascadianSolo/status/1204306278173958145

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

What if bunkhouses, but as permanent housing for everyone but the top 20%.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Quorum posted:

This does seem to suggest one glaring loophole, and now I'd like to see a movie where a desperate civil engineer teams up with a bounty hunter with a passion for urbanism to hunt down the last original members of the city's golf club.

I would watch this, my understanding is that the requirement is for 50% ownership change in one event(year?)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

A state rep in VA has introduced a bill to legalize ADUs statewide and people aren’t taking it well:

https://twitter.com/lukerosiak/status/1210354563049500676?s=21

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Badger of Basra posted:

A state rep in VA has introduced a bill to legalize ADUs statewide and people aren’t taking it well:

i scrolled some of this dude's twitter and he's definitely invested in his self-delusion as a rugged individualist who is absolutely not an exurban hobby farmer dependent on the urban service sector jobs he despises

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Badger of Basra posted:

Oh my! You mean people might have the option of spending 150K or more to build a small house in their backyard that will probably be occupied by the mother in law that otherwise might live in their spare bedroom?

It's not an option many people will do. Take out all the people with no spare money, take out all the people too small of lots, people who could never rent out the place for enough money to pay for it, and people who don't like the idea of being landlords...I think his crappy exurb is pretty much safe.

ADU'S are fine, but will never have much of an impact. They're just too big of a pain.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Ahaha it's so nice to see these assholes eating the Dillon Rule for once and not people trying to pass antidiscrimination ordinances.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Badger of Basra posted:

Then don't build one?

What a loving weirdo.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Cicero posted:

"Things that are illegal to build in most American cities now, a thread": https://twitter.com/CascadianSolo/status/1204306278173958145

This thread's nonsense, most of these aren't illegal, and a bunch of them aren't permitted in new development because they're not sufficiently dense for urban zoning. The idea that commercial ground floor and residential upper is "illegal" is just...nuts. That is one of the most popular new development models (for good and ill under different circumstances). And bunch of these are actively sprawl contributors or --

oh wait.

quote:

Policy outcomes don't care about your intentions. Neoliberal. YIMBY. Market Environmentalist #TeamPete #TeamDelaney

Yeah that makes sense.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 28, 2019

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I will never get over the neoliberal pride element of “YIMBY.”

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
On the other hand, it is amusing to me the logical contortions that some people go through to avoid having to use market principles to explain why housing costs are so high in booming metropolitan areas. It is like they have an allergy.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Discendo Vox posted:

This thread's nonsense, most of these aren't illegal, and a bunch of them aren't permitted in new development because they're not sufficiently dense for urban zoning. The idea that commercial ground floor and residential upper is "illegal" is just...nuts. That is one of the most popular new development models (for good and ill under different circumstances). And bunch of these are actively sprawl contributors or --
Have you ever actually read a zoning code? And which of these are contributors to sprawl?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

This thread's nonsense, most of these aren't illegal
Yeah they are, in most residential land (in the US). Even in many, perhaps most major cities, you're restricted to detached single family homes on big lots. Higher density dwellings are generally only then allowed on smaller areas of land within the city.

In saner countries like Germany or Japan, they don't have this kind of zoning anywhere in the entire country, IIRC. There's still different levels of density permitted, but the bottommost level still allows for stuff like townhomes and fourplexes and whatnot.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 28, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Cicero posted:

Yeah they are, in most residential land (in the US). Even in many, perhaps most major cities, you're restricted to detached single family homes on big lots. Higher density dwellings are generally only then allowed on smaller areas of land within the city.

In saner countries like Germany or Japan, they don't have this kind of zoning anywhere in the entire country, IIRC. There's still different levels of density permitted, but the bottommost level still allows for stuff like townhomes and fourplexes and whatnot.

residential land != "most cities". and good god they're still not "illegal", they're restricted to specific places for zoning.

FISHMANPET posted:

Have you ever actually read a zoning code? And which of these are contributors to sprawl?

I am familiar with zoning codes, yes, well enough to know that there's more than one purpose or use to many of the features the account is describing, such as setbacks having purposes other than street shading. What he refers to as missing middle is also a problem when it's applied in places where higher density is more appropriate.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Discendo Vox posted:

residential land != "most cities".
What does this mean?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

What does this mean?

The tweet that was the basis for this convo begins with the categorical "Things that are illegal to build in most American cities now, a thread". The rejoinder from Cicero is about "most residential land", with a bunch of other qualifiers. "!=" is shorthand for "does not equal".

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Discendo Vox posted:

The tweet that was the basis for this convo begins with the categorical "Things that are illegal to build in most American cities now, a thread". The rejoinder from Cicero is about "most residential land", with a bunch of other qualifiers. "!=" is shorthand for "does not equal".
Yeah, I was looking for you to expand on what exactly you mean by that. Minneapolis, for example, had vast swathes of mandated single-family-only residential zoning within city limits until the 2040 Plan allowed for missing-middle housing city-wide. Seen from that context, I can't make heads or tails of what you mean.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 29, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
where a lot of specific housing forms may be generally forbidden in 50%+1 of jurisdictions in america this is not an especially useful argument to make when trying to make a broader point about exclusionary housing. housing forms without attached parking, for example, are often not specifically forbidden but rather just blocked on the grounds that they don't meet even permissive parking minimums, as well as no developer is going to commit to build housing without parking regardless of regulation so it's de facto forbidden on market grounds

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

residential land != "most cities". and good god they're still not "illegal", they're restricted to specific places for zoning.
Yes, in other words in most of the places where you may build housing, they're illegal. Going "it's not illegal in these cities, it's just restricted to a sliver of the available land!" is a real dumb defense.

quote:

I am familiar with zoning codes, yes, well enough to know that there's more than one purpose or use to many of the features the account is describing, such as setbacks having purposes other than street shading. What he refers to as missing middle is also a problem when it's applied in places where higher density is more appropriate.
Obviously nobody here wants to go down from higher density zoning to missing middle. The reason missing middle gets brought up is that in many other countries it's vastly more widespread because there it's not the "middle" when it comes to zoning, it's the bottom.

Single family home only zoning should not exist, it's terrible for the environment, terrible for the economy, and terrible for social inequality. But instead of it not existing, the US has it on the vast majority of residential land, even in many major cities! That's bad!

Cicero fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Dec 29, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

You're defending a series of tweets that were factually wrong on several levels by reinterpreting them into something you want. Look at the account's affiliations. Is it really someone worth doing this over?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Cicero posted:

Single family home only zoning should not exist, it's terrible for the environment, terrible for the economy, and terrible for social inequality. But instead of it not existing, the US has it on the vast majority of residential land, even in many major cities! That's bad!

I wouldn't go this far given how rural some places are in the United States but if you are "close" to a city you should absolutely be obligated to build more dense housing. Density can bring its own problems, what you want is a different stocks of housing.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

It's not factually wrong, those forms are illegal in most cities except for little slivers of land. Stop defending America's lovely segregationist housing structure.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I wouldn't go this far given how rural some places are in the United States but if you are "close" to a city you should absolutely be obligated to build more dense housing. Density can bring its own problems, what you want is a different stocks of housing.
You misunderstand. Missing middle zoning doesn't obligate building denser housing, it just allows it. Single family homes still exist in Germany and Japan, cities just can't stop people from building at least somewhat denser if they want.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Cicero posted:

We definitely have #5 in Minneapolis; I guess we are an outlier (?).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

IIRC Minneapolis recently passed very good missing middle legislation, so yeah it's at least a bit of an exception.

fake edit:

quote:

A new city of Minneapolis housing program aims to promote middle-sized housing complexes to encourage affordability and equity.

Past zoning codes restricted the construction of middle-sized complexes, specifically those with three to 20 units, in favor single-family homes and large apartment complexes. The Missing Middle Housing Pilot Program stems from research for the 2040 Comprehensive Plan aimed at identifying barriers to middle-sized housing projects in the city. Representatives from the city’s Community Planning and Economic Development department hosted an event May 1 to receive community feedback on the program.

The Minneapolis 2040 Comprehensive Plan, which the city council approved in December, will rezone sections of the city to allow more middle-sized housing on a single lot.

“[In the early 1900s], the market was building a single-family house next to a duplex next to a small scale apartment building — a very natural development pattern. But once we regulated that through zoning, we effectively said, 'you can’t build that anymore,'” Worthington said.

The zoning code changes that shifted away from middle-sized housing can be traced to redlining, a practice which aimed to exclude African Americans and other people of color from living in certain parts of the city. Traces of redlining can still be seen in the city’s zoning code, Worthington said.

By incentivizing missing middle housing, the city would make building and renting housing units more affordable and equitable for developers and tenants, Duenas said.
https://www.mndaily.com/article/2019/05/n-city-program-promotes-missing-middle-housing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

actionjackson posted:

We definitely have #5 in Minneapolis; I guess we are an outlier (?).
Yeah, the building that the Longfellow Grill is a part of comes to mind. In some narrow transit corridors, the Twin Cities have had the zoning in place for denser construction for decades. The lack of such new construction in those spots until the last ten years has been due to a mixture of developers not believing there was a sufficient market for it and, upon realizing there is upon seeing Millennials moving back to the cities, being fought tooth and nail by the house-owners in the neighborhood.

My radicalizing moment was attending a neighborhood meeting about a proposed new four-story apartment building that brought out the well-off, white Boomers in the neighborhood to scream about how renters are dirty, noisy, and just don't fit the character of the neighborhood. They proceeded to levy a series of costly lawsuits against the developer and the city and nearly succeeded in getting their transit corridor zoned down to allow only single-family homes.

It's important to note that Minneapolis and cities like it often have a number of duplexes, triplexes, and even fourplexes sprinkled throughout the city, grandfathered in before the application of zoning codes that effectively replaced racially-restrictive covenants. Streets.mn does some great work on housing and transportation policy in the Cities.

I'd much prefer city and regional governments directly investing in, owning, and managing new housing than loving landlords, but the social and climate imperative of building up our cities is great enough that I'll accept the latter so long as we fight for inclusive zoning, rent control, and elimination of parking minimums along with it