Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

esperterra posted:

fwiw it's one of the more weakly translated books, it I recall right. The first two or three have a diff translator than the rest, and the later ones are better.

But the series' writing strengths are less in the prose and more in the world and characters.

Does that explain the audio books too, Last Wish has some clumsy similes. Also wins the award for most bizarre pronunciation of Dandelion as Dan-dilly-un. Ughhh.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Just finished it last night. Little underwhelming.

Geralt and any fighting scenes were the high point. Kind of sucks that there was nothing close to the battle he had with Renfri. The actress who plays Yennifer is good, but she seems too young to pair with Cavill. Probably an issue with makeup and such because she looked perfect for the role in the scene where they meet. Tough to comment on the rest of the cast because they didn't put many people in scenes that could showcase their skills.

Fire the showrunner and others involved. This is a show with a huge budget that looked worse than SyFy shows I've seen on a shoestring budget. Plus the story was a rushed mess that had no depth. It was still watchable, but gently caress, where did the $80 million plus budget go?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ewe2 posted:

Does that explain the audio books too, Last Wish has some clumsy similes. Also wins the award for most bizarre pronunciation of Dandelion as Dan-dilly-un. Ughhh.

Danusia Stok spells his name as Dandilion so she/he probably didn't realize it was meant to be the flower in the audiobook

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ewe2 posted:

Some of the books spell it Dandilion for some reason.

e: fb

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Niwrad posted:

Fire the showrunner and others involved. This is a show with a huge budget that looked worse than SyFy shows I've seen on a shoestring budget. Plus the story was a rushed mess that had no depth. It was still watchable, but gently caress, where did the $80 million plus budget go?
I think the effects and production design are decent but the color grading was balls. What's the point of making this detailed, colorful world if you're going to flatten it down to grey, green and brown in post?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Danusia Stok spells his name as Dandilion so she/he probably didn't realize it was meant to be the flower in the audiobook

Ahh ok. The narrator is Peter Kenny who feels the need to characterise everyone with regional British accents. So Geralt sounds like a Yorkshireman and nobles sound like Southerners from Kensington or the British Raj.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Canuckistan posted:

OK, I'm bad with names and can't remember the details, but from the book, was the mage who killed all those girls justified? In the show it was proven that the girls (at least the one we saw) were indeed mutated, but was it for certain that they were going to end the world or whatever?

Not at all, his prophecy didn't rhyme, therefore it wasn't true.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Any intentions of editing the OP?

Kaedric posted:

Not at all, his prophecy didn't rhyme, therefore it wasn't true.

:hmmyes:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

davidspackage posted:

I bet Cavill just didn't want to take the costume off, he seems like a nerd. Just one with huge muscles and dazzlingly good looks.

Henry Cavill used to be fat in middle school. He says he stayed about the same weight from 13-20.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

CJ posted:

I think in the show Calanthe says that her daughter has the same power as her mother. It is unrelated. Check a wiki on Ciri if you don't care about spoilers.

Huh, I guess you're right. I didn't look at a wiki, but I'm rewatching the first episode, and Mousesack tells Ciri about a group of girls who were cursed and said to bring about the end of the human race, so they were systematically killed (which I assume is the Black Sun curse that Renfri has) and then tells Ciri she has the blood of her grandmother, but he doesn't actually say Calanthe was one of those girls. I thought it made that first episode a lot more significant, made it important that Geralt was introduced to Ciri's curse through Renfri, and that Ciri might be destined to destroy humanity. And reading between the lines, Calanthe would have survived the Black Sun culling because Cintra doesn't do business with the Mages Guild. (Honestly I kinda like it a lot better my way.)

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 28, 2019

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

Niwrad posted:

This is a show with a huge budget that looked worse than SyFy shows I've seen on a shoestring budget. Plus the story was a rushed mess that had no depth. It was still watchable, but gently caress, where did the $80 million plus budget go?

Netflix has a history of making showrunners spend way too much of the budget on the first and last episodes of their big shows, so everything in the middle looks like poo poo. Funnily enough the showrunner for Marco Polo (which was and still might be their highest cost at $90m) responded to their demands but literally putting every location they use in the show in the opening episode so that he could spread the money around evenly. A lot of people didn't like the show but there was no denying it was gorgeous.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Going through The Mandalorian is a trip because it feels structurally similar to what people loved about Witcher 3: a tight narrative of a lone, taciturn warrior finding/guarding a gifted child, having intersecting adventures with interesting side characters, while building out the world and relationships along the way. The acclaim for The Mandalorian vs the mixed reaction for TV Witcher make me think that TV Witcher could have really benefited from tightening things up the same way.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

LinYutang posted:

Going through The Mandalorian is a trip because it feels structurally similar to what people loved about Witcher 3: a tight narrative of a lone, taciturn warrior finding/guarding a gifted child, having intersecting adventures with interesting side characters, while building out the world and relationships along the way. The acclaim for The Mandalorian vs the mixed reaction for TV Witcher make me think that TV Witcher could have really benefited from tightening things up the same way.

Most of the praise is because it's Star Wars and not awful like the Disney movies. If it was just a generic western setting, no one would give a single gently caress about it.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

LinYutang posted:

I really enjoyed the Mandalorian, but the middle episodes were far worse than anything in the Witcher. Manadalorian also had Baby Yoda which I’d watch without a show.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

itry posted:

Any intentions of editing the OP?

To add the timeline stuff, or something else?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Most of the praise is because it's Star Wars and not awful like the Disney movies. If it was just a generic western setting, no one would give a single gently caress about it.

No, it's good and the Witcher would probably be better with Jon Favreau at the helm and the biggest budget in TV history.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Question: Would the Harry Potter series have been improved if, at the end of the year, the students in the House with the lowest amount of points were turned into electric eels to power Hogwarts?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'll be honest, I didn’t really like the magic school parts of the show, or much of the Wizard Bureaucracy stuff in general. It was pretty funny watching a bunch of people in their robes and wizard hats sneaking down the walls like navy seals before the battle of Sodden Hill.

Those fireball-making Nilfgaard mages are very much butter-passing robots. I'd've liked some more about exactly why all those mages were insane zealots, because being okay with being a one-use weapon is a pretty high level of religious zealotry. I'm not saying that's absurd, we have the same thing irl, but I'd like to know a bit more about what's driving them.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Those fireball-making Nilfgaard mages are very much butter-passing robots. I'd've liked some more about exactly why all those mages were insane zealots, because being okay with being a one-use weapon is a pretty high level of religious zealotry. I'm not saying that's absurd, we have the same thing irl, but I'd like to know a bit more about what's driving them.

Dunno if you were watching close enough but the fire mages being sacrificed were not exactly doing it willingly.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

ghostwritingduck posted:

I really enjoyed the Mandalorian, but the middle episodes were far worse than anything in the Witcher. Manadalorian also had Baby Yoda which I’d watch without a show.

Agreed. The Witcher at least had some element of forward momentum -- The Mandalorian stalls its plot hardcore from episode 2 through 6.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Tehran 1979 posted:

Netflix has a history of making showrunners spend way too much of the budget on the first and last episodes of their big shows, so everything in the middle looks like poo poo. Funnily enough the showrunner for Marco Polo (which was and still might be their highest cost at $90m) responded to their demands but literally putting every location they use in the show in the opening episode so that he could spread the money around evenly. A lot of people didn't like the show but there was no denying it was gorgeous.

Not challenging this, but is there a source? I'd be curious to know more because it might make for a good story about the business of streaming originals

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Phenotype posted:

Question: Would the Harry Potter series have been improved if, at the end of the year, the students in the House with the lowest amount of points were turned into electric eels to power Hogwarts?

It would have been improved if they were all turned into electric eels tbh

itry
Aug 23, 2019

esperterra posted:

To add the timeline stuff, or something else?

Timeline, characters bio, maybe links to the game threads. Stuff like that.

What I'm saying is lean into your effort posting self. :toot:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Tehran 1979 posted:

Dunno if you were watching close enough but the fire mages being sacrificed were not exactly doing it willingly.

It also seems like a) it’s a nuclear option that would have ended the fight instantly if it had landed (so perhaps worth the sacrifice of one person) and b) that when it doesn’t work the second time they stop trying to do it (suggesting that they don’t in fact sacrifice thousands of powerful mages on a daily basis).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yeah but, who's making generic westerns these days?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Show was entertaining though heavily flawed. Hammy as all gently caress. Basically on a par with the books, which is decent.

Massive variation in the quality of the episodes however. The first few were pretty decent to pretty great. The last half were generally weaker. I'm really pissed off that they failed to land the one with the dragons in it properly. I feel like they hosed around with the story quite a bit there and in particular the Reavers never represented any kind of a real threat, whereas in the books they actually end up capturing Yen, Geralt etc and nearly raping Yen I think?

Looking forward to season 2, but I really really hope they manage to shoehorn at least a couple more monster one-off episodes in. Those were the best, well that and the Sintra beauty and the beast one.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Phenotype posted:

Bahahaha.
The wizard school stuff was the worst of the show, felt absolutely like budget Hogwarts but even worse, a lot of it just wasn't explained (I was confused as poo poo for a lot of that episode, with the different locations going on etc) and the magic in general across the series is not thought through at all.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Phenotype posted:

Only if it happened in book 1, and it wasn’t the worst students but all students.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think it's pretty clear that the school passes anyone with enough money or the right connections.

Can you imagine what'd happen if the girls who bought their way into the school were turned into slugs? The mages would gain enemies, lose their revenue source, and not even get any electricity out of the entire clusterfuck, because the girls don't have any magic!

That's part of why Yennifer goes all sinister in that episode. She's essentially traumatised by her upbringing, leading to a sense of false entitlement. She wants it all, and she's fixated on a baby as the one thing that will heal her. But she's literally wearing her womb as mascara now, so that's off the table. Then she runs into these girls, who are privileged and won't have to sacrifice or risk anything the way she had to, so they become targets for her wrath. If Tissaia hadn't interrupted, she'd probably have turned those girls into eels.

Following this line of thought through, and there's a lot about motherhood in the finale. Geralt's mother, Yennifer taking up Tissaia's mantle and finding purpose as a leader and carer, Cirilla finally finding a safe and kind mother to replace her own (and cruelly losing that to Destiny). Even Fringilla is implied to be the strength behind Cahir, who comes across as a very weak man. (They're obviously not loving, he's super gay).

Edit: correct me if I'm wrong, but we never find out what happened to the Doppleganger, right? Eammon Farron kills all those soldiers, Fringilla calms him down and says he's out there somewhere, but we never see him again, yeah? Or am I forgetting.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 28, 2019

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

davidspackage posted:

I bet Cavill just didn't want to take the costume off, he seems like a nerd. Just one with huge muscles and dazzlingly good looks.

In interviews he said he prefer PC gaming.

Finished the show and even though it is sort of mess for things like the cheesy special effects it really captures the bleak themes of the books.

Especially the whole part how the "side quests" in the episode usually end up with Geralt getting short changed or some one else stealing credit for his work.

I liked the Striga episode the most for the most design and also how it had Witcher potions / detective work before the actual fight.

etalian fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 28, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

davidspackage posted:

Henry Cavill literally missed the phone call letting him know Zack Snyder cast him as superman because he was too busy playing WoW to answer the phone.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I want to squad up with Henry Cavill in Siege

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

thepokey posted:

I want to squad up with Henry Cavill in Siege

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/henry-cavill-interview-2019

quote:

Cavill is talking to me a few hours ahead of the premiere of Netflix’s adaptation of Andrzej Sapkowski’s The Witcher. He’s elaborating on how his love of escapist gaming – something he’s possessed almost since he was old enough to sit at a computer – has only become more and more enhanced as his anonymity has disappeared.

“Every time I step out my front door, I’m hyper aware,” he says. “Even if I’m not looking terrible, you still realise there are people taking sneaky photos of you, because that’s what people like to do. And then they put them on the internet and you see them on Instagram and you’re like, ‘Oh, my god.’”

He groans.

“At home, I get to sit playing games for ridiculous amounts of hours and escape there, because going outside has the opposite effect.”

The Hollywood star is the perfect get for Netflix’s latest original show. A biologically flawless, world-famous presence, he’s the kind you wouldn’t necessarily expect to be headlining an adaptation of niche, Polish high-fantasy literature that spawned a hugely successful video game franchise. But he's who Netflix needed to join a less recognisable supporting cast. In fact, it was a role the actor chased the moment he found out about it.

“My first involved experience [with the franchise] was The Witcher 3,” he tells me, explaining how he’s now played developer CD Projekt Red’s 100-hour role-playing epic two-and-a-half times to completion, experimenting with different difficulty settings, first on regular difficulty and then on the game’s toughest setting, in order to find the perfect balance of fun and challenge.

:vince:

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

I do love when you hear about incredibly attractive/ masculine guys being into nerdy poo poo. Vin Diesel and Joe Manganiello being into D&D is another great example of that.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Torquemada posted:

It also seems like a) it’s a nuclear option that would have ended the fight instantly if it had landed (so perhaps worth the sacrifice of one person) and b) that when it doesn’t work the second time they stop trying to do it (suggesting that they don’t in fact sacrifice thousands of powerful mages on a daily basis).

Yeah people in this thread have been overly dismissive of the "fireballs".
They were more like loving MOAB - if either had detonated on the keep the place would have been flattened.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Laurem Schmidte posted:

Henry Cavill's performance was so on point that he didn't even need much of the dialog written for this character, writer and show-runner Lauren Schmidt revealed because he was able to convey everything through his performance alone. She said, "In the first episode, I wrote Geralt with a lot of lines. Henry shot them all, and in the edit we started pulling some of them out. Henry brings subtleties to this character, finding emotional resonance in small moments, and playing it in such a subtle way that you understand what the character is going through without necessarily having huge chunks of dialogue. By the time we got to the finale of the first season - we didn't even shoot half the dialogue because we knew there was so much Henry could do with Geralt that didn't require my words."

Interesting theory on why Geralt's scenes are so much better than everyone else's -- they just have less dialogue.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd say thats true for a lot of the show. Also it seems like the mispronunciation if names isn't a show-wide thing but depends on the actor. Triss calls Melitele Melly-Telly while Jaskier pronounces it correctly. During Pavetta's feast Calanthe's deceased husband Roegner is mispronounced as Roener by Calanthe herself and then Duny pronounces it properly as Rognear. It seems to be the actors' unfamiliarity with the naming conventions that is causing the issue rather than a conscious decision by the showrunners. And considering everything I've heard makes me believe they were on a tight schedule when filming. I'm willing to believe they didn't have enough time or budget to shoot pickup shots or do much ADR to fix issues.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Just Chamber posted:

I do love when you hear about incredibly attractive/ masculine guys being into nerdy poo poo. Vin Diesel and Joe Manganiello being into D&D is another great example of that.

You should see the Henry Cavill Reads Thirsty Tweets segment on some interview show. He looks both uncomfortable and intrigued.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
It annoys me that Yennifer is super powerful in the show but in W3 she basically does nothing but watch. The most magic I can remember her doing is teleporting.

Blind Philipa is more powerful than Yen in W3. Where are my rivers of fire yen for the last battle? Thanks for nothing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Philippa is stronger than Yennefer. And Yen does make a giant bubble shield that can survive an orbital bombardment in Witcher 3.