Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

CJacobs posted:

Yup I went through the exact same thing and it is torture. "Okay we need to schedule you for a test, I'll get it set up for a week from now and then see you in a month". mother fucker it's not just gonna magically stop hurting for a month while i wait

edit: Also, doctors who are overly hesitant to prescribe pure pain medication in interims like this are jerks. I have to wait a month without you prescribing anything at all to help the problem, does it not make sense to give me something to generally cope with the pain until then???

Oh I see you’ve been seeing the same rheumatologists and endocrinologists I’ve been seeing.

Your joints ache all day with throbbing burning pain? :shrug: get more blood tests and come back in a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I got a webcam for my laptop.

Which, of course, means it doesn't automatically load the software like it says it will.

Which means the software package isn't called what the directions say it's called.

Which means the layout of any sites/apps you try to use aren't the same as pictured.

It's great. I really like it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The algorithm decided that the "Who to follow" box on Twitter decided that, of the two slots it chose to show me, one of which would be seemingly permanently occupied by someone with the most insufferably smug self-portrait avatar, and the only way to dispel this curse was to click through to their account and mute them.

It was worth it not to look at their loving "well actually" smirk every time I want to look at pictures of old ads and embarrassed cats but that whole "who to follow" thing is largely garbage, especially if you follow anyone that even for one second got into some sort of snit about politics.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
All those clickbait "buy THIS house/castle/mansion for 1 dollar" "news" articles. Or the "THIS town will pay you $10,000 dollars to move there" ones.

No, they won't. Not unless you have a shitload of other money to invest in the property. It's a dumb gimmick and the "articles" are only relevant to real estate investors, not normal people.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

People who talk slowly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOsNKOR9gdI

this is funny, it's a video about ADD but the dude talks so tediously slowly that everyone in the comments recommends to put it on double speed and it's much more bearable that way

people talking slowly and deliberately is another reason why i hate TED talks

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pastry of the Year posted:

The algorithm decided that the "Who to follow" box on Twitter decided that, of the two slots it chose to show me, one of which would be seemingly permanently occupied by someone with the most insufferably smug self-portrait avatar, and the only way to dispel this curse was to click through to their account and mute them.

It was worth it not to look at their loving "well actually" smirk every time I want to look at pictures of old ads and embarrassed cats but that whole "who to follow" thing is largely garbage, especially if you follow anyone that even for one second got into some sort of snit about politics.

This is schadenfrude for using Twitter in tyool 2019

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Vertical cellphone recordings. gently caress off.

Double gently caress off: filling the blank space on either side of the video with that poo poo that blurs and stretches the content of the actual video in the middle. Like your lovely video wasn't hard enough to look at already.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I've never understood why phones don't just refuse to record video if the phone is being held the wrong way. Or make the sensor a bit larger so it always records correctly regardless of which way the phone is being held.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Snapchat forces me to write as if the phone was being held vertically, even when the photo I've taken is horizontal :(

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

My phone peeve is that I have to have all the security options on it due to work and the swipe up to bring up the lock screen on pixel 3 is dogggggg poo poo insensitive and I have to swipe the entire screen top to bottom with more care than I wipe my own rear end

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Well, as it is phones almost do that by default.
They usually have a 4:3 or 5:4 sensor, and only records from a 16:9 or 18:9/whatever crop of it.

It would be neat if they just did 1:1 all the time, with the option to crop it to whatever afterwards. I imagine companies would be all over it for it making videos + photos take up more space, so that they could try to usher people onto paid cloud storage even harder.

And then it would change nothing because people would still just upload the cropped 16:9/18:9 portrait video they filmed, because digging up the 1:1 copy would take a few seconds more.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Phones should just administer a painful electric shock to the user if video is taken while the phone is held vertically. This should consume all remaining energy on the battery.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

People who think you always have to be "doing something" every waking hour of a vacation, especially when it's to visit family in the place you grew up and you've already seen everything worth seeing a million times. What's so bad about having a day of just rest and enjoying peoples' company at home during a 2 week vacation?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

yeah I eat rear end posted:

People who think you always have to be "doing something" every waking hour of a vacation, especially when it's to visit family in the place you grew up and you've already seen everything worth seeing a million times. What's so bad about having a day of just rest and enjoying peoples' company at home during a 2 week vacation?

Strongly agree. I also don't understand the "we have to drop everything and be in your company every second of the visit" mentality. Like I can go do something on my own? Or read quietly in the living room for a couple hours. We don't have to come to point of resenting each other by the end of the visit.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
If you don't resent each other how else are you supposed to justify not interacting for a full calendar year?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This stuff:

Because it's not coleslaw. You can't take the cabbage out of coleslaw, it is literally the one defining ingredient! You can add broccoli and beetroot if you want, but if you take the cabbage out then you need to call it something different.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Cold slaw is cold :confused:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
"Coleslaw (from the Dutch term koolsla meaning 'cabbage salad')"

Going to have to agree that it can't be a cabbage salad without cabbage, even though in my region I'm more used to the defining ingredient being destroying the poo poo out of it with a gallon of mayonnaise.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Coleslaw never feels like it belongs with what it's typically served with. Why would I want a cold slimy glop of mayo+assorted vegetables with my fish and chips? I just treat it like decoration, just to make the plate look like it's not just uniformly brown, but not necessarily meant to be eaten.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Seems weird with fish and chips but with bbq or fried chicken, bring it on. For best results, use the biscuit/toast with the meat, slaw, and your sauce of choice to make a delicious sandwich.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Don't know if it's a regional variation or just my family's quirk, but we never used mayo in coleslaw. Cider vinegar, salt, and just enough sugar to temper the vinegar, and maybe throw some caraway seed on it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

We make mustard coleslaw in my family.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

TofuDiva posted:

Don't know if it's a regional variation or just my family's quirk, but we never used mayo in coleslaw. Cider vinegar, salt, and just enough sugar to temper the vinegar, and maybe throw some caraway seed on it.

That's how my grandma used to make it. It has to sit for 2 days in the fridge to get good. Shredded carrots go in too. I'm not a fan of the mayo version.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Coleslaw is garbage which is fitting considering it originates from the Dutch

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TofuDiva posted:

Mayo and vinegar based versions are both widespread but I think mayo is more common.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Unlimited pizzas, $8 each (2 pizza minimum).

a) Everywhere sells unlimited pizzas, subject to the same laws of physical reality. You're not offering me anything by saying I can buy EVEN MORE.
b) What kind of "unlimited" doesn't include 1?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

If you advertise using before/after pictures, it should be illegal to do any of the following:

-bad lighting in the before, great professional lighting in the after
-mugshot facial expression before, smiling in the after
-slumped forward in the before, flexing in the after
-the "after" picture has changes, but nothing relevant to the product being advertised

just show two pictures, same lighting, same outfit, same posture, same facial expression and let the results speak for themselves. They won't, though, because their products don't do poo poo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Enforced honesty in advertising is a long-standing dream of mine. As someone who works freelance in advertising and marketing, it is the worst feeling ever when someone essentially tells you to lie more to make the product look better. I absolutely hate doing it. Because they can't literally tell you to lie, as that is actually illegal, but they'll "wink wink nudge nudge" you into tweaking and tweaking and will refuse to be satisfied until the ad looks nothing like the real product. They don't have the balls to just say it like it is, none of these companies do. "We want to show the ideal form of our product". "We want to show the peak potential of our regimen". "We don't want to scare people away by showing uglier real world examples". I really genuinely feel that there should be legislation to brute force all of the mistruthful bullshit out of the advertising world because it does nothing but make everyone's lives worse.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 21:16 on Dec 28, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't envy restaurant marketers in this brave new world, trying to film actual McD's or KFC and make it look good.

I admire Rosa's in Texas for being honest with their food photos- it looks like various piles of slop on a plate, that you scoop up with chips and tortillas. That's exactly what it is. Good on you, Rosa's. https://www.rosascafe.com/menu-dinner.html

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
People are so inundated by the fake poo poo in every single ad for every single product that seeing the real deal at a place like McDonalds may very well turn them away. It's cruel psychological trickery to make you addicted to the idea of spending your money at X specific place on Y specific thing. If showing you the real thing became standard practice, it'd break the spell. It doesn't have to be this way for businesses to still earn more than enough money to survive. The problem is there's no way to get a bajillion-dollar company to realize that on their own, so they have to have their noses pushed to the stone and be forced to change.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

oldpainless posted:

Coleslaw is garbage which is fitting considering it originates from the Dutch

More like oldrightopinionless.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

These Wegmans commercials suck loving rear end

It's like the bullshit ad team that the Mad Men come in and make look like idiot babies came up with it

Oh haha Cleopatra orders our food haha it makes the Mona Lisa smile lol aliens are getting astronauts to bring them some

loving awful

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
People posting photos of sleeping friends and SOs on social media.

That’s like, an extreme violation of privacy to me. Am I weird? Like hell no, gently caress off.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That’s like, an extreme violation of privacy to me. Am I weird? Like hell no, gently caress off.

It reminds me of that one 10-year old girl who asked her mum to stop blogging about her entire life and her mum just refused because "MY daughter I can do what I want..."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't envy restaurant marketers in this brave new world, trying to film actual McD's or KFC and make it look good.

There's a reason that a lot of commercials feature food in motion.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I admire Rosa's in Texas for being honest with their food photos- it looks like various piles of slop on a plate, that you scoop up with chips and tortillas. That's exactly what it is. Good on you, Rosa's. https://www.rosascafe.com/menu-dinner.html

I want all of this slop in my mouth

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
i don't miss much about living in longview, texas, but i sure as gently caress miss the loving tex-mex

upstate new york has plenty of hispanic people and plenty of them make and sell food -- every farm stand has a small mexican food stand too, now, it seems -- but as everyone likes to point out, tex-mex isn't the same thing, so while i'm glad there are folks sharing their own cuisines with me and those foods are delicious, i still just really fuckin also want some tex-mex

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This is why I don't feel comfortable falling asleep anywhere with awake people until I'm sure they're 100% asleep too (or in cases where this doesn't happen, like on an airplane, I just don't sleep). People do all sorts of things to gently caress with sleeping people because they think it's "funny". Or just take advantage of you, like steal your wallet/luggage or something.

Just let sleeping people sleep. We live in a society and all, or so i've been told.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

InediblePenguin posted:

i don't miss much about living in longview, texas, but i sure as gently caress miss the loving tex-mex

upstate new york has plenty of hispanic people and plenty of them make and sell food -- every farm stand has a small mexican food stand too, now, it seems -- but as everyone likes to point out, tex-mex isn't the same thing, so while i'm glad there are folks sharing their own cuisines with me and those foods are delicious, i still just really fuckin also want some tex-mex

Even just finding good Mexican food that isn’t expensive or playing colonic Russian roulette (which is basically expected at a place called “Taco Shack” but still) can be a pain. There was a good place I used to go to but they closed over the summer because ICE deported a lot of their staff.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Even just finding good Mexican food that isn’t expensive or playing colonic Russian roulette (which is basically expected at a place called “Taco Shack” but still) can be a pain. There was a good place I used to go to but they closed over the summer because ICE deported a lot of their staff.

the ICE thing has happened to at least two places around here, too (we're not near any taco shacks so i assume we're discussing two separate areas of upstate rn), but fortunately like i said all the farm stands have mexican food stands too so i just go to the nearest farm and buy sacks of tamales. if this is an option near you, try it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

InediblePenguin posted:

the ICE thing has happened to at least two places around here, too (we're not near any taco shacks so i assume we're discussing two separate areas of upstate rn), but fortunately like i said all the farm stands have mexican food stands too so i just go to the nearest farm and buy sacks of tamales. if this is an option near you, try it out

If one of those two places was Mexican Radio, we're talking about roughly the same area. I'll keep an eye out for farm stands with mexican food, though, never really thought to try that.