Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kangxi posted:

It changes several times during the last update. The results may surprise you

The only surprise would be if Christianity became a stabilizing force for a prosperous future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Tulip posted:

The only surprise would be if Christianity became a stabilizing force for a prosperous future.

Later historians would realize that by eating so much of the labor force, cannibal christianity raised the value of individual serfs to the point where lords had to treat them better lest they decamp to another fief that did.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Tulip posted:

"Reformation" doesn't need to mean a religious schism in this world. It could be a literal 'reformation" of a bunch of petty, feuding sects into one.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Man, this universe's Reformation is going to have some wild takes on the sacrament of communion.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

Man, this universe's Reformation is going to have some wild takes on the sacrament of communion.

Martin Luther's 96th Thesis: Maybe we shouldn't be eating people...

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
Calvin: Eating people is good because if God loved them they wouldn't have gotten eaten

Zwingli: Same as Calvin but you're not allowed to use any seasoning.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Technowolf posted:

Martin Luther's 96th Thesis: Maybe we shouldn't be eating people...

Addendum: I mean, they were fine with wine and bread for communion back then.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
The last thesis: "Perhaps in this world, there are children who have not eaten people? Save the children..."

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Kangxi posted:

The last thesis: "Perhaps in this world, there are children who have not eaten people? Save the children..."

"...for dessert."

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Iesu Y'rushalem wgah'nagl fhtagn

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The Orthodox church tries very hard to convince everyone they're totally unrelated. "Catholics? Who're they? Never heard of them. They must be talking about a different Jesus."

Sindai fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 27, 2019

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Reminder that they're JUST Cannibals, ergo I maintain my prior interpretation that it's just the canon law prescribed penalty for priests who touch kids.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I will say, I really do like the idea that maybe in this timeline the human sacrifice of the Aztecs and their initial incredible success spawned something from Catholicism akin to the way Islam brought about Iconoclasm from Orthodoxy. Maybe the Eucharist sees the priest now cutting his hand to mix actual blood into the wine, or something, and “cannibal” priests are those rumoured or proven to have used someone else’s blood out of cowardice.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Kangxi posted:

The Demon Empress has willed it, it must be so...

Without spoiling all of my plans for the EU4 conversion, I will at least need the following, off the top of my head:
-Tibet (although I may keep a variant of the old snow lion flag. Nothing with the swastika on it, please.)
-Later Jin China
-Scandinavia
-Norse England
-Norse Ireland
-Germany?
-Norse-Nahua France
-Hindu Abyssinia
-The remnants of the Tibetan kingdoms in the West
-Mongolian Byzantium, or what's left of it
-Ethopian Sunni Anatolia
-Buddhist states in Egypt
-Carantania
-The Jerusalem Raj
-Sunni Vladimir
-the Khazars (Karaites/Rabbinic/Samaritan?)

edit 128 x 128 in whatever format, I can convert them to TGA pretty easily

edit 2: germany is sunni now

I needed something to distract me from playing Elsinore today, so I did some work on Mongolian Byzantium.

Striped version 1:

Unstriped version 2:

EDIT: And here's Norse-Aztec France

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 28, 2019

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Rody One Half posted:

Reminder that they're JUST Cannibals, ergo I maintain my prior interpretation that it's just the canon law prescribed penalty for priests who touch kids.

Conceptualized Canonical Cannibals

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

QuoProQuid posted:

I needed something to distract me from playing Elsinore today, so I did some work on Mongolian Byzantium.

Striped version 1:

Unstriped version 2:

These own

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Kangxi posted:

These own

:yeah:

I especially like the striped Mongolian Byzantium!

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

Striped version 1:

Unstriped version 2:

:perfect:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Well, mine aren't nearly as cool as those, but I made Norse England and Ireland:

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Don't know the rules for Europa Universalis flags, but I made some for Abysinnia and Carinthia-

The lion is Vishnu as Narasimha, who destroys religious persecution.

I just googled for representations of Carinthia and copied and pasted the images.
Edit: Whoops. Made them too big. Resized now.

Buddhist Egypyt. White for purity, black for Egypt, blue for religiosity/the Nile, yellow for wealth.

Seal of Solomon which also happens to be tantric symbol.

Tawhid (Oneness of God) inside generic Buddhist frame. For a Mahayana Egyptian state I guess.

How many Buddhist Egyptian states are there? This is the fourth chakra (heart/balance) in red and white for death and life. Not sure if it's suitable but I'm having fun.

Chatrapati fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 28, 2019

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
These all own so much, what am I doing writing about Tibetans, I should just move the LP to Buddhist Egypt or Norse-Nahua France or what have you

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kangxi posted:

edit 2: germany is sunni now

I like the Rub il Hizb. I made one that's kind of inspired by the Olympic Flag germany used and feels pretty modern. Not quite sure about how the colors match up - should I shrink the Rub il Hizb to be just inside the red to avoid the white-on-yellow violation?

And this one is a bit more like the older HRE flags but feels a little hyper-simple

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Whipped up something for Khazaria. (OTL Khazaria was evidently ruled by a diarchy for a significant chunk of its history, so here the sun stands in for the kagan and the bow-and-arrows the bek.)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I like the second Germany option. The black-red-gold is so specifically a recent modern thing it seems off to me.

Alternately maybe an eagle of saladin type thing on the gold field?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

A couple more: the Jerusalem Raj and Scandinavia.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Man people are getting some sick stuff in here jeeeze.

xthetenth posted:

I like the second Germany option. The black-red-gold is so specifically a recent modern thing it seems off to me.

Alternately maybe an eagle of saladin type thing on the gold field?

Yeah the 2nd one makes more sense for the early parts of the game, keep the first one in the pocket if republicanism hits without Germany going Nahua/Norse/Cannibal?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Tulip posted:

I like the Rub il Hizb.

A poster of good tastes.

My rough stab at Sunni Vladimir.

Also this a potential Khazaria flag assuming the're still Jewish.

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 29, 2019

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

While the family is no longer around in this game, I've always thought that the Bulanid CoA was pretty boss and I think it would work well for a Khazaria flag

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Chapter 57: 1400 to 1417 - Tsenmo Purgyal Lasya 'the Griffin'

Selection from of The Secret History of Bodpa, newly revised translation by Dr. Ezra Chakrabarty, University of Lhasa

The empress had confided to me, her scribe and attendant, that she had experienced a third visit from an apparition. The empress, shaking, with red eyes, only told me of it, refused to describe it in detail, then said not to record it. I have recorded what she told me anyway, only to follow her previous order that I record everything and conceal nothing.

She continued to rule as she did, pressing down further on peasant revolts and hostile clerics even as these outbreaks of rebellion grew in frequency.

Those who continued to threaten the stability of the empire, or even provoked fear and panic, were treated with harshness and without mercy.

Even so, inauspicious omens continued to trouble the empire. The spirits of the dead were said to have returned and then vanished.

The events of the empire were not always so worrisome. The cities continued to grow in size, as more adventurous souls came in from the prosperous countryside and hoped to make their fortune.

The world around Tibet remained mired in confusion, torn asunder by delusions and wrathful deities.

The empress, in her advanced age, was still a figure that retained significant authority and inspired great fear. To desecrate her image was a crime. To blaspheme against the dynasty was a crime. To accidentally damage a statue or painting of the dynasty was a crime. Spilling a cup of tea on an image of the sacred family was a crime. Before, there were lords and independent vassal kings, a network of allegiances and alliances built around kin ties. That was over. There was only her at the top.

She had removed all barriers to her authority and had accumulated absolute power. The empire was her, and she was the empire. She would order a man dead and he would be seized at his table.

Now, it can be said, this concentration of power and authority in a single individual presented an immense burden of responsibility on that one leader; and problem after problem awaited her direct input.

While the empress dealt with each problem, in turn, the true focus of her attention was in all matters beyond this earth; of the accumulation of unusual artifacts; of knowledge secret and obscure.

And when the enemies of the empire died, the empress only picked at their skulls.

The empress complained of headaches, weakness, nausea, vomiting. Her doctors, after a brief inspection, and fearing the worst, told her it was cancer.

She had demanded the best and most successful treatments from them, drat the consequences. She had received it, an extensive chirurgical procedure.

For a while, she wore a mask, and it was rumored that much of her face was removed to heal her.

But, to the amazement of all, she recovered.

She took off the mask and revealed to all her same face - even with the scar from chin to forehead. She had lived, in defiance of all odds and of the many doubters. I myself admitted doubt but was duly grateful that she had survived.

The empress's conquests in the east for a time appeared unstable, due to the risks of peasant revolts and Han Dynasty loyalists, but these were soon driven into remote areas and off of the mainland entirely.

And so the empress resumed her previous lifestyle of inquiring about the mysterious and yet unknown peoples that inhabited the world.

To her west, the sons of Timur had all slaughtered each other; Timur II, victorious, reconstituted their empire.

The Empress complained of fitful dreams; at times she said she wanted to go to sea.

The Chinese, for their part, announced they were to head west to subdue the ravaged and fallow lands west of the Ural mountains. The empress mused of either dismantling Mongolia, or sending ships further abroad.

In her final months, she dictated the book, "A Mirror in Aid of Governance", a collection of historical anecdotes with explanatory comments and instructions for future generations of leadership. I had my part in transcribing some of the stories from the Legends of the Purgyal; she dictated her own commentary. The book is to be kept secret and reserved only for her successors.

The Sacred Hierarch had declared war for Yemen, then owned by the Abyssinians. The empress had none of it.

In the last months of 1417, the empress stirred her tea, looked at me, her scribe, and said, "I tire of the world." The courtiers had crowded around her in her last months, to be sure if she was really dying. The Lonchen had leaned in too close, and she spat in his face. Then she died.

Figure 1: Bloodlines

(Yes, that is Gyalyum. I fiddled around with trying to add one to her nieces but it died out almost immediately. Sorry.)

Figure 2: Characters by kill count

Figure 3a: Realms by estimated army size

Figure 3b: Realms by estimated number of holdings

Figure 4a: Religions by Moral Authority

Figure 4b: Religions by estimated size

Figure 5: Notable Architectural Constructions

Maps - SUBJECT TO CHANGE

Cultures

Religions

Political Map - pre-conversion

Political Map - post-conversion

END PART I

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Man. Christianity got poo poo-wrecked in this world.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Some thoughts in retrospect:

-Tibet really did blob out of control; it certainly made sense to do so during Gyalyum's reign in the beginning but it should have been a lot harder after the others. If I'd installed the Imperial Decline mod earlier I might have been more restrained in expansion. I am going to add in some appropriate maluses for EU4, but I am much worse at playing EU4 too so you don't have to worry about this getting too boring - I hope.

-There are no remaining on-map leaders with reformed Aztec religion, but there are a lot with Nahua culture. It's going to be hard to square that circle considering how important religious practices were for this culture. I may add some syncretic cultures/beliefs but that will lengthen the conversion time and I want to avoid feature creep.

-Reformed Norse religion really is a beast; they ran roughshod over Western Europe.

-I will need to cut down on how much Bon religion and Bodpa culture spread in India for the conversion.

-That said, I should also have installed that 'Bon Enhancement' mod for festivals and pilgrimages. It would have added more flavor.

-I am also going to run votes on how to convert certain parts of the world; stay tuned.

-Also all the flags everyone's submitted own so much.

I will also post screenshots of specific leaders for the 1417 state of the world. Any requests?

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
China and Pomerania are the two countries that I’m most curious about.

How are you going to handle tech differences between the New World and Eurasia?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Obviously, we should take a look at the leader of the Jerusalem Raj in honor of the Legislative LP going on atm.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
European culture is going to be wild with matriarchal Norse being the dominant religion.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The Aztecs and Norse really just tore Europe to shreds, holy poo poo. Norse Nahua Latium. Norse Nahua Latium.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Christ these states are really quite silly! Is it possible to create breakaway states in EU4? Collapsing some of these larger realms (Tibet included!) should be a possibility.

I'd like to see the Bogomolist defender of Christendom in Carantania, I'm also curious about the "Kele-Koun Infantry".

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
My personal interests are Iceland, Sapmi, and Portugal. The Bulgarian Company is in an interesting place too.

Who's controlling those isles North of the British Isles?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Hey, Kangxi, can we get some info on some of the tiny states in Europe? Thinking mainly about that small green country in control of Rhodes, the controller of Cyprus, the teal country in control of Lolland, and the controller of Mallorca and Minorca.

Also, is Venice still a Catholic republic or did they become some weird one-province kingdom?

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 29, 2019

Guper
Jan 21, 2019

Kangxi posted:

-Tibet really did blob out of control; it certainly made sense to do so during Gyalyum's reign in the beginning but it should have been a lot harder after the others. If I'd installed the Imperial Decline mod earlier I might have been more restrained in expansion. I am going to add in some appropriate maluses for EU4, but I am much worse at playing EU4 too so you don't have to worry about this getting too boring - I hope.

In my experience, it's really hard for large realms to fall apart in EU4 unless there is a lot of instability due to recent conquest. Things like war exhaustion, combined with non-accpted culture, religion, aggressive expansion, low money, low manpower. But very little of that would be there in a realm that is huge to start with. This could be an issue both with Tibet and probably also mongolia, though mongolia at least has a decent amount of low development provinces.

You could look at making custom events (or by fiat declaring what happened in the short time between CKii and EU4 to weaken some of the big powers). Also, take a look at how EU4 handles the Timurids - it gives them large powerful vassals, many of which try to revolt when their first (very old) ruler dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~
The religion map is a thing of beauty.

Maybe those religious pockets lead to some natural and event-based instability in EU4?