Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Safety Factor posted:

Formations were dogshit idiot trash and I'm glad they're dead.

:same:

Also, voted Saruman because LOTR is the future of gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Omar al-Bishie posted:

what's the best way to assemble a large amount of chaos cultists?

How close to 40k do you want these models to be and what kind of cultists do you want

Sigmar has some cool Khorne cultist-looking dudes that you can just hork from that model range

Alternatively there are tons and tons of third party models out there that are far cheaper than Games Workshop offerings

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

JBP posted:

You don't have to honour a shelf price error.

That depends on the State (at least if you're in the U.S.)

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Need to do the base and maybe a few other tweaks, but here is my 90% finished Tau Commander:

After I finish tweaking this one I get to move on to my least favorite part of wargame painting, and one reason I enjoyed painting for Infinity: Painting lots of nearly identical troop models! Whee!

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Here's a Cerastus Knight-Castigator I just finished up, super happy with how it turned out. Album here.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Khisanth Magus posted:

Need to do the base and maybe a few other tweaks, but here is my 90% finished Tau Commander:

After I finish tweaking this one I get to move on to my least favorite part of wargame painting, and one reason I enjoyed painting for Infinity: Painting lots of nearly identical troop models! Whee!

Nice! Four Cyclic Ions is a cool look, I just wish they came more than one to a Commander box.

I typically run mine with three Cyclic Ion Blasters and an Advanced Targeting System because going from AP-1 to AP-2 feels like it does a lot more good than another three shots against most of the things you'll be shooting. And because Commanders are surprisingly dangerous in melee, swinging four times at 3+, S5, AP-1.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Madmarker posted:

That depends on the State (at least if you're in the U.S.)

That price point sounded like Australian prices and in Australia if it's a legitimate error or oversight the vendor can apologise and charge the correct price.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
On the one hand, you want fluffy lists to be good so that your game resembles the fiction to some extent. But on the other hand, you don't want to make them so good that playing anything else is a straight handicap.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

JackMann posted:

On the one hand, you want fluffy lists to be good so that your game resembles the fiction to some extent. But on the other hand, you don't want to make them so good that playing anything else is a straight handicap.

Yeah, and for AM, Ad Mech (seriously wtf GW why rename Imperial Guard “IG” to Astra Miltarum or whatever and not something that isn’t also AM) they have such limited options.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I do kind of miss having to take Guardsmen organised into platoons with command squads, but not really sure it adds a huge deal. Fluff wise it's weird to see like 60 guardsmen and 3 company commanders but the overall feel of you need officers to shout at these guys still exists.

I also miss the fact that the HQ choice was the command squad, but then they would just get shot to pieces from the back of the board so I see why it works.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

For_Great_Justice posted:

Thats petty on GWs part an in the states its borderline illegal if not fully in a few states. Businesses can get hit b tthe state first adverising x an charging y at the counter.

It's literally the opposite of illegal. In the UK the price on something on the shelf is just an invitation to negotiate at that price, it's not an offer that can be accepted and shops aren't required to sell to you at that price. Basic contract law. Iirc the US and Oz are the same.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Ehh, It’s illegal to advertise one price and sell at another, but the law does allow for honest mistakes. Such as barcodes scanning wrong or signs displaying the wrong price.

I don’t see anything wrong with complaining though. I think it’s pretty lovely of them not to bother with updating their signs, and not allow the person to buy it at the price even if it’s perfectly legal. It’s a bad experience, someone hiking up the price as you get to the counter, and shouldn’t be happening.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
You can always just not buy it.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Ehh, It’s illegal to advertise one price and sell at another, but the law does allow for honest mistakes. Such as barcodes scanning wrong or signs displaying the wrong price.

I don’t see anything wrong with complaining though. I think it’s pretty lovely of them not to bother with updating their signs, and not allow the person to buy it at the price even if it’s perfectly legal. It’s a bad experience, someone hiking up the price as you get to the counter, and shouldn’t be happening.

I don't think it's a bad experience to have a staff member apologise to you for an incorrectly labelled item, explain the correct price, and then ask if you're still wanting the purchase the item.

It's a bad experience if that constantly happens or the staff member is rude to you.

Having worked in customer service I honestly think people these days can't really distinguish between a business treating you badly and a business trying to rectify a mistake quickly with as little impact to you and the customer as possible.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Safety Factor posted:

Formations were dogshit idiot trash and I'm glad they're dead.

I used to try to keep track of how many formations and decurions they came out with towards the end of 7th

I stopped counting at 200

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
They could also just have updated their price tags and it wouldn’t be a problem. It’s been like several months since the price hike.

I think it’s a bad experience anyway. Going up to buy something and the guy being; “g’day mate, yeah, that’ll be a twen’y muuhre. Proice hikes, ya see?”.

I think people give businesses too much slack these days.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 28, 2019

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Awww yis, it's leg day muhfuckers.

GON PAINT THEM INVICTOR LEEEEEGS!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Revelation 2-13 posted:

They could also just have updated their price tags and it wouldn’t be a problem. It’s been like several months since the price hike.

Sure, that's why it was called a "mistake", humans make them some times. It was corrected prior to the transaction taking place. The customer isn't impacted in any way unless they literally cannot afford the extra twenty dollars or they wouldn't buy it at the extra twenty dollar price.

If its the former its unfortunate and hopefully they can save the twenty dollars to come back soon, and maybe it would be good service to reserve the item for them if its limited edition.

If its the latter then the price is the price and while it's obviously good to have people buying your products if they aren't willing to buy it at the price you want to tell it you either don't make the sale or lower prices, and I've never seen GW lower prices.

Retail staff are human beings and just because one of them made a mistake which didn't impact anyone other than maybe get someone's hopes up that they were saving twenty dollars and it was apologised for doesn't mean it's a "bad experience".

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I think it’s a bad experience anyway. Going up to buy something and the guy being; “g’day mate, yeah, that’ll be a twen’y muuhre. Proice hikes, ya see?”.

They almost certainly did update the price tags and just missed one. Most GW stores are 1-man operations, and they don't have any significant amount of time to do those things while they're getting paid for their time but customers aren't in the store. Probably got interrupted in the middle of it.

I think people expect way too much perfection out of retail employees these days.

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Where I'm at in the States companies are forced to honor the posted price. Just last week a local store accidentally listed a giant pack of diapers for like $2 in the store and online, and it caused a virtual run on the banks as people flooded the store and ordered a ton of them online before they updated the website.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Bob Wins posted:

Where I'm at in the States companies are forced to honor the posted price. Just last week a local store accidentally listed a giant pack of diapers for like $2 in the store and online, and it caused a virtual run on the banks as people flooded the store and ordered a ton of them online before they updated the website.

This is almost always incorrect. Stores may be in trouble if they deliberately post incorrect pricing, but they do not need to honor pricing errors, particularly if its obvious that it's incorrect.

quote:

The sign in the store says the computer printer is $2.49, but it rang up at $249. Saying it was an error, the store is refusing to honor the posted price.

The law
It's generally a myth that retailers must honor a posted price if it's simply a mistake, although some stores might do so as a matter of policy or on a case-by-case basis. The issue gets murky if the retailer begins processing the order, something that is more likely to happen online, says Jane Winn, a professor at the University of Washington Law School. But even then, she says, a merchant might be able to cancel the purchase if the price was so low that a buyer should have known it was mistake. An online retailer's fine print may relieve it of the duty to fulfill orders based on pricing errors.

You should know
Businesses that intentionally post false prices or that otherwise engage in bait-and-switch pricing can be liable under federal and state consumer-protection statutes.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2010/09/your-rights-as-a-consumer/index.htm

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Bob Wins posted:

Giant diapers would be a useful investment next time someone shits themselves at the prospect of paying the actual price for stuff.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Revelation 2-13 posted:

They should, lower the price, instead, of , raising it

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

richyp posted:

Giant diapers would be a useful investment next time someone shits themselves at the prospect of paying the actual price for stuff.

Too bad Pennsylvania avenue buys out everyone's stock.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Chiming in to add: I work in retail, the part about selectively honoring pricing mistakes based on how obvious the mistake is, the customer's demeanor and intentions, etc is the way we do it. I think it's the right way. If you make it standard policy that you legally have to uphold all pricing and zoning mistakes to the letter every retail store would go out of business from shady customers loving around with labels and stuff on purpose. They already try that, without any law ensuring their right to a price change, and sometimes get away with it because retail cashiers are mostly underpaid, low-level employees terrified of losing their jobs over some basement troll or lovely housewife complaining to a manager about their attitude. But I also have sympathy for people caught by a genuine mistake.

Booley posted:

I think people expect way too much perfection out of retail employees these days.

Yup, and even the managers and suits at *some* big chains are more aware of it/sympathetic than they used to be. People will complain about loving anything, lie about anything, destroy any service employee's life, etc in the hopes of getting their way (even when "their way" is a discount of less than a dollar). It's absolutely repulsive this time of year in particular - because the shittier customers come out and everything is busier/everyone is stressed during the holidays - to the point that it's actively ruined Christmas for my partner. She hates what was her favorite holiday for 25+ years, because she has to spend a month and a half being treated like dog poo poo by the public to keep her job.

Whichever way it comes, the reckoning's gonna be pretty sweet.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I have to say the one thing I've never felt I'm able to fault GW on is customer service.

I saw the manager of the store I used to go to return products people had bought in other stores or online and just exchange them for other products in the store.

If someone came in and showed a model wasn't cast quite right, immediately just chucked in the back and given a new one in the store. If parts were damaged or missing from a kit, just open one and give you the bit that's missing. I had something delivered to a store which was shut for several days due to staff illness, and they cancelled the order and sent a new one to my house special delivery free of charge.

I guess that it's easy to offer great levels of service when each box is like a 1,000% markup on manufacturing costs or whatever, and obviously there's plenty of stuff to criticise them for, but in my experience customer service isn't one of them.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
I had saved up a $300 order for FW's big announcement that turned out to be a surprise 25-30% price increase for US customers. I wrote GW to ask if they would honor the previous rate as an one-time courtesy, or allow me to buy from the UK store. I got a "don't do that, the trolls at our warehouse would get confused if you try" email which I felt was an inappropriate response to an upset customer.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

goose willis posted:

How close to 40k do you want these models to be and what kind of cultists do you want

Sigmar has some cool Khorne cultist-looking dudes that you can just hork from that model range

Alternatively there are tons and tons of third party models out there that are far cheaper than Games Workshop offerings

I'm open to both of these options! my friend also has a 3D printer so that's something to consider.

I'm not an experienced modeler, how does one make Sigmar guys into lasgun-toters?

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
I ordered a Realm of Battle Necron Tomb Citadel tile from FW at $155.

What arrived at my house was a Realm of Battle Crashed Thunderhawk tile and an invoice for some dude in Florida.

I contacted FW with photos of the package contents and my order info. They stated that they'd send me the correct item. I asked if they wanted me to send back the tile I received, they said the only thing they wanted from me was to destroy the floridaman's invoice. I got the Necron tile shortly thereafter.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I still need to paint the rest of my display board.

So much loving surface area. :negative:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Two Beans posted:

I ordered a Realm of Battle Necron Tomb Citadel tile from FW at $155.

What arrived at my house was a Realm of Battle Crashed Thunderhawk tile and an invoice for some dude in Florida.

I contacted FW with photos of the package contents and my order info. They stated that they'd send me the correct item. I asked if they wanted me to send back the tile I received, they said the only thing they wanted from me was to destroy the floridaman's invoice. I got the Necron tile shortly thereafter.

That dude in Florida is probably still waiting.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Completely unrelated, but I finally noticed your av while reading the Goonhammer year in review article. What faction garb is that?

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

RagnarokAngel posted:

That dude in Florida is probably still waiting.

Or worse, got my original Tomb Citadel and used it as an excuse to start a Necron army.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm not saying this specific issue stems from a lack of empathy but if I ran the world everybody would have to work retail for half a year and would have to leave their country for half a year.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I worked in retail and traveled extensively and I still sneer down my nose at service people, as is my right.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I ordered a venerable dreadnought to supplement my Grey Knight army as I put a bunch in my list with Lascannons and Missile Launchers only to realise there's no missile launcher in the venerable dreadnought kit, only in the dreadnought kit.

Sigh.

I then looked on several bits sellers and literally none of them have the missile launcher in stock, because presumably of this very reason, meaning I'm going to have to buy another dreadnought at some point.

I also ordered a baby carrier despite the fact they clearly look dumb, I'm going to try and copy the conversion on the GW site though and cut the sword so it's being held upside down and use some cork board to make a little rock for him to be resting the sword on.

EDIT: Speaking of the baby carrier, does anyone have any recommendations for what type of drill to get to magnetise the dreadknight? I watched a video of a dude drilling holes in models using an electric drill and all I could think was "gently caress that". I know GW sells a model drill but I think it's only one drill bit size which I don't think is ideal.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 29, 2019

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

I always just used random fist bits to convert up a "missile launcher" which was a tube firing an arrow or something. It works for Grey Knights and Chaos because, uh, the dreadnought is literally magic and I ain't gotta explain poo poo.

In terms of weird GW decisions, my local GW has either elected or been told to no longer stock models which are part of Start Collecting boxes. So like, the basic troops units you need a billion of for every army.

Sometimes I feel vaguely guilty about going into the store to play games with poo poo I bought off eBay but then I remember things like this. If there was a decent LGS presence in my city that would be ideal but there's only a handful and their GW stock is pretty light.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Get two sentinel missile launchers, stack em, and slap em on. Ought to be close enough to be clearly identifiable.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Groetgaffel posted:

Get two sentinel missile launchers, stack em, and slap em on. Ought to be close enough to be clearly identifiable.

Sadly my sentinels are so old they were "cadian" sentinels and missile launchers weren't an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Strobe posted:

Completely unrelated, but I finally noticed your av while reading the Goonhammer year in review article. What faction garb is that?

Legions of Nagash. While i do play 40k I'm more of an AoS player (which is why most of my goonhammer contributions are AoS related)