Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
:c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
Oh yeah, the marketers definitely had no idea who to market Cats to, all the trailers were for kids movies, with Little Women thrown in for the mothers I guess.

Which, I'm pretty sure kids aren't going to want to see Cats. Like my expected audience is middle school theatre kids and they'll consider themselves too "old" to see Trolls but this time it's Bring It On. They'd be more likely to see Little Women.

But yeah the audience seemed to actually be adults looking to watch a trainwreck, and it doesn't really scratch that itch well, sadly.

(The Pixar movie about a road trip in a fantasy world but modern seems fun. But like everything else that had a trailer, I'd only choose to watch it if like I was babysitting a kid.)

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

[citation needed]

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

That thread is fun as gently caress to stir poo poo in though, they’re all down to get mad at each other over literally anything

yeah, it was pretty funny when the entire thread turned on folding ideas (left-ish youtuber) the second he said something rude about a thread regular.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

foobardog posted:

Oh yeah, the marketers definitely had no idea who to market Cats to, all the trailers were for kids movies, with Little Women thrown in for the mothers I guess.

Which, I'm pretty sure kids aren't going to want to see Cats. Like my expected audience is middle school theatre kids and they'll consider themselves too "old" to see Trolls but this time it's Bring It On. They'd be more likely to see Little Women.

But yeah the audience seemed to actually be adults looking to watch a trainwreck, and it doesn't really scratch that itch well, sadly.

(The Pixar movie about a road trip in a fantasy world but modern seems fun. But like everything else that had a trailer, I'd only choose to watch it if like I was babysitting a kid.)

We are at, poo poo you not, minute 22 of previews and they are extremely all over the place, yeah. Extremely swoony and dramatic Doolittle preview ending, gotta dive back in.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Equeen posted:

yeah, it was pretty funny when the entire thread turned on folding ideas (left-ish youtuber) the second he said something rude about a thread regular.

I stopped following Renegade Cut pretty recently when I noticed that he was omitting stuff from his reviews that were inconvenient for his thesis.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This movie perfectly encapsulates the flaws inherent in Post Horny Theory and accidentally makes a strong argument for return to a hardline traditionalist horny ideology.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Uncut Gems is one of the top 3 or 5 movies of the year. Just masterful - absolutely do watch it as soon as you can, it's absolutely visceral. I was screaming at my monitor multiple times through it, the movie is an incredibly anxious experience to watch, but in a good way.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

mysterious frankie posted:

This movie perfectly encapsulates the flaws inherent in Post Horny Theory and accidentally makes a strong argument for return to a hardline traditionalist horny ideology.

Aaaaand we’re out. Movie was supposed to start at 11:50am, previews ended at 12:25pm I checked my phone at 12:38, expecting maybe forty minutes to have passed, showed my wife and she was like, I can’t be here for another hour and a half. The people who said it’s not fun weird were spot on. Definitely something that’s funnier to think about existing than to actually see in person.

We saw roughly three times a much preview material as movie. Basically paid $26 to see ads. Learn from my mistakes; this horny place is not a place of honor.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

etalian posted:

hopefully they don't run into the long detailed articles on breasts

“what if we do a story about this Bigger Luke”

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

CATS sucks. Maybe it's because I spend so much time of my life looking at weird stuff on the internet I didn't experience the kind of uncanny terror I was hoping for, so I just had to take in how bad it is. Trying to fully realize CATS with CGI was such an awful idea. Having characters in skin tight leotards with hair either sewed in or digitally inserted onto them just buries them all in a half inch layer of unreal fur - and that covers up all of their musculature while giving the dance an unreal sensation because it can become impossible to tell what's CG and what's real. That pic of the guy who plays Skimbleshanks (The Railway Cat) that you're supposed to get horny for? All of that cut lean musculature - the perfect dancer's physique, it's buried under CGI fur and red suspenders. It's a thoroughly asexualized experience in spite of everyone lithely moving their supple bodies with feline precision. Everyone who interpreted this as horny is probably a dog person. You can't even really enjoy the dancing on its own merits because there's too much going on at once to really focus in on a particular performance. Everyone is doing their own thing - like a cat - and the lack of coordination saps all the sense of pageantry. It's just pure chaos, but not in a good kind of fun way.

So the skin-tight CGI cat people have practically zero aesthetic appeal, and it does away with half of what makes a stage musical impressive - which is the makeup and costuming. The closest thing to a costume are the massively oversized fur coats and prop jewelry. The staging also sucks because CGI fills in all the background, and the image itself is hazy so that you can't tell what's a real prop and what's CGI so it ends up taking on the appearance of mid-stage uncanny valley CGI like The Polar Express, which is especially glaring because Skimbleshanks's (The Railway Cat) number takes you inside a rail car.

And this is all held back even more by CATS not being a good musical to begin with. 80% of the songs are just each Jellical candidate cat saying their name, what they do, and why they want to be the Jellical choice. The story isn't told through the music, the music just ends up describing characters who ultimately only play bit parts. Just total vestigial arms of a production that's already only 90 minutes long.

I did end up laughing a lot, not at anything the movie wants you to laugh at which is all lame theater kid humor filtered through Marvel-like irony, but at all of the bad decisions that got poured into this film, and how often the musical numbers over-repeat a single line or beat just once too long to overstay its welcome. The only bit I sincerely liked was when Idris Elba was on the screen, because he's the only actor that brings a kind of menacing charisma. Almost everyone else has zero charisma, either because their characters are written that way or because the performers themselves are terminally lame.

So should you go see CATS? Like I said, everyone in Northwest Arkansas was going to see a movie - but the only people watching CATS was me and a couple other pairs of people who looked like 20 something theater kids. So you will not have to deal with overcrowding. I would recommend going to see it because it's a pure spectacle of bad decision making and artistic choices. It's like watching a 90 minute extended scene of the Joker burning that big pile of money. It's 100 million dollars flaming on the screen, and it's horribly glorious.
I didn't internalize a single line in the entire film. I felt time dialate like I was trapped in a nightmare. Halfway through the film checked my phone to see how much time had passed, it felt like only five minutes had gone by.

I've never seen the musical nor read a plot synopsis. I didn't know what the gently caress was going on and left the theater learning absolutely nothing about the film/play. It was like I never watched cats at all

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Helsing posted:

[citation needed]

The alien prequels are way better than anything after Aliens. You can tell more thought went into them than most other franchises like disney Star Wars, Jurassic world, marvel, etc. Like, covenant isn’t about xenomorphs, it’s a movie illustrating how humanity is inherently flawed through the David character. At least they don’t feel like blatant soulless corporate products like most other long running franchises have become

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

everyone who’s seen cats in theaters is part of a brotherhood. I actually wanted to walk out a few times during the boring bits but you can’t just pick a movie up where you left it off in the theater. being boring is the cardinal sin of any musical, and it especially shouldn’t happen for one of the most flamboyant productions ever made.

I’m definitely getting a lot more fun out of seeing how everyone processes and talks about it than actually seeing it, but you still can’t “get” the buzz completely without seeing it.

We saw roughly three times a much preview material as movie. Basically paid $26 to see ads. Learn from my mistakes; this horny place is not a place of honor.

getting 25 minutes of previews is very weird. I got maybe five trailers of kid and family films. it was insufferable. whoever thought this was for a family market doesn’t get Broadway poo poo at all.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

My Facebook review goes like:

"CATS! was not good. It was also not bad in a way that was entertaining. It was like, imagine some of that black and white concentration camp footage from WW2, but as the camera pans over the unsettling tableau you see that every prisoner is Budd Dwyer, blowing his brains out.

If you wanted to see it in theaters for yuks, do not. It's only notionally funny. If you've thought about it existing and said to yourself, self, that sounds like a humorous mistake in the making, then you have extracted maximum humor from it."

No rating because I literally watched thirteen minutes of it before fleeing the theater.

E: And yeah I was stone cold steve sober while watching it, but if you say I didn't get it because I wasn't high at the time then that makes it the devil sticks of cinema. A trifling mistake made en route to oblivion, best forgotten by its survivors.

mysterious frankie has issued a correction as of 21:34 on Dec 28, 2019

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

And yet, in the end, you paid money for it, so you are leading the invisible hand of the free market to make more. Adam Smith is pleased.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

lol if you paid 24 buckaroonies just to walk out early.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

foobardog posted:

And yet, in the end, you paid money for it, so you are leading the invisible hand of the free market to make more. Adam Smith is pleased.

If your little jape at my expense gets me a six hour probation for encouraging capitalism, foobardog, I'm gonna *checks notes, continues checking notes, flips between pages of notes with a bemused look, slowly swivels chair so that my back is to you, continues checking notes while making happy little humming sounds and rocking gently back and forth*

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
The music in the Doolittle trailer sucks real bad

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I may even call it an abomination

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

VideoTapir posted:

Name one media franchise that's gone to total poo poo that's ever come back from it.

Devil May Cry did it twice

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

If your little jape at my expense gets me a six hour probation for encouraging capitalism, foobardog, I'm gonna *checks notes, continues checking notes, flips between pages of notes with a bemused look, slowly swivels chair so that my back is to you, continues checking notes while making happy little humming sounds and rocking gently back and forth*

We're all counting the days until we're put up against the wall here, comrade.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Regal Cinema just showed me 30 minutes of trailers and ads before the movie fml

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

capitalism returning us to the golden age of cinema! Just... with ads, ads, and more ads instead of a cartoon, news reel, and two movies. And the movie’s just an ad for further movies down the line in the franchise

I intended this to be a joke and then I remembered the whole recent declaration by the Justice Department declaration that they’re not going to be enforcing the old Paramount decision that stopped studio-theater vertical integration, oh god it’s actually going to become this :gonk:

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
let's all go to the lobby and CONSUME

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

lol i finally struggled through the awful edgy male gaze anime in the the netflix blood tits robots series because i hate myself and wanted to see how bad it got, and theres a fuckin weretroop episode

like bro marines broing around afghanistan for murica, but they are werewolf bro marines, and have a twilight werefight with a werewolf afghan

lots of people like to talk about how everyone not getting annihilated by nuclear war is proof we are in a blessed world, but i think that was the first sign of hellworld

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The music in the Doolittle trailer sucks real bad

Doctor Doolittle heralds the true cinematic apocalypse where talking animal CGI cartoons are finally overlapping with live action celebrity vehicles

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

The Knights of Ren look like they came from a Slipknot concert.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Rey killing Chewie is the kind of moral complexity Star Wars needs. Gulag me now

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

it's ok, because Chewie is ok

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

an aging rey strangles a now-adolescent baby yoda for longer life

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Does anyone know why every "badass warrior chick" uses a bow and arrow? I know archery has historically been considered less honorable (read: less manly) in the western world, but it seems like that over the past decade it's become specifically coded as a "woman's weapon". Am I the only one picking this up?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

MizPiz posted:

Does anyone know why every "badass warrior chick" uses a bow and arrow? I know archery has historically been considered less honorable (read: less manly) in the western world, but it seems like that over the past decade it's become specifically coded as a "woman's weapon". Am I the only one picking this up?

Probably tapping into a "goddess of the hunt" thing from Greek mythology

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I don't think it's a uniquely feminine thing even with recent pop culture; with Hawkeye, Green Arrow, Legolas, etc.

Archery is simply seen as more inoffensive than guns when going for a wide audience.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

my wife hates previews with a passion and now that youtube exists and they're entirely superfluous, we know we can show up 15-30 minutes late for any given movie and miss nothing.

not sure if this is happening everywhere, but all the theaters here also show pre-preview-previews now, before the actual previews, where you get some mishmash of local advertising, almost-previews for different movies via brief cast interviews, and ads from coca-cola about empowering youth filmmakers or some bullshit.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's because of a sexist assumption that women aren't as good at martial combat as men because they're not as strong. Therefore a woman fighter needs a standoff weapon like a bow. In real life powerful bows needed a lot of draw strength to pull and control the bow accurately, so it's not necessarily a better choice for weaker people. Weaker people do just fine with crossbows, which have an arming mechanism that does all the work, or with two handed weapons that are balanced like a longsword or which have a long reach like spears and polearms.

The kind of light bows that are used for hunting small to medium game aren't good enough for combat, because you need enough draw strength to penetrate light armor or to shatter the arrow itself and send shards that plinter off between or deflect into the weak points of good armor.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Freaking Crumbum posted:

my wife hates previews with a passion and now that youtube exists and they're entirely superfluous, we know we can show up 15-30 minutes late for any given movie and miss nothing.

not sure if this is happening everywhere, but all the theaters here also show pre-preview-previews now, before the actual previews, where you get some mishmash of local advertising, almost-previews for different movies via brief cast interviews, and ads from coca-cola about empowering youth filmmakers or some bullshit.

the regal today had pre pre previews (masquerading as a special show before the movie that serves up a combination of product ads, third string movie and tv ads and very tough quizzes with questions like "this big mouthed water hazard served as the titular terror in stephen spielbergs 1975 suspense film jaws. was it: a: a shark b: a robot c: a wolf d:academy award winner richard dreyfuss. stay tuned after the break for the answer!") pre previews that are theater ads bought by the community, previews, then some post preview ads.

I usually go to the music box or this little place by loyola the few times I don't stream these days and was absolutely unprepared for the completely buckwild waste of time and money the big chain theaters continue to pokevolve into. wait a few more years to come back and there'll be an ad ticker running along the four hour remake of what is to become the first part in the new cocoon expanded universe.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Wives of samurai were trained in archery and spearfighting.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

On the bright side the theater I went to had alcohol and actual food, delivered to my seat. That was pretty good.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Freaking Crumbum posted:

It's mainly because movie theaters only collect a tiny portion of ticket sales and basically have to run weird local ads before movies to stay afloat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So there's this succ Politico article

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/12/28/how-tv-in-the-2010s-predicted-politics-089916

that argues that part of the reason why politics got so bad in the lead-up to and during the Trump era is that media abandoned the soaring, optimistic rhetoric of shows like The West Wing in favor of "darker" politics like House of Cards and Scandal, or even Veep's portrayal of politicians as corrupt idiots, even if it didn't assign necessarily outright malice.

quote:

Remember Toby, CJ and Josh on “The West Wing,” walking and talking and righteously fighting for ethanol subsidies or nuclear talks with North Korea in the Bartlet administration? In today’s fictional Washington, they’d get chewed up and spat out.

If they worked in the White House in “Scandal,” they’d keep running into the president’s mistress, who had rigged an election to get him into office. (Oh, and the president murdered a Supreme Court justice. These things happen.) As much as people bemoan the churning Trump-era scandals, the allegations about porn stars and payoffs and cascading shady deals, it’s all kindergarten stuff compared with what aired every week, for seven seasons, on ABC.

And if “The West Wing” trio worked in Congressman Frank Underwood’s Washington, they might just get shoved in front of a moving Metro train.

Television can both set and reflect the mood of the nation, creating expectations about human behavior.

Today’s real-life sweeping nihilism about politicians’ motives, the widespread hatred of the “swamp,” the notion that the process is flawed and the rules of engagement themselves might not be worth following, was, if not created by television, then at least predicted by it.

Of course, this is a really stupid argument to make, because 24 was on-going all throughout the Bush and Obama eras (running from 2001 and 2014!). In fact, the piece even acknowledges this, but only insofar as apparently 24 was still an example of a "good" TV show anyway because it primed America to accept a black President?

So anyway, the piece also mentions "Commander-in-Chief" with Geena Davis, which I never got to follow along at the time, so I tried looking up what the show was like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lugmNWK3PUg

In this clip, Davis, as the President, strong-arms the Nigerian ambassador into a Situation Room meeting where a general explains to him in exacting detail how a US task force is going to shoot its way into his country to extract a woman that's due for execution because the country has criminalized women having sex, and this act of intimidation gets the Nigerians to back down.

And this is supposed to be a good thing?

Never mind the fact that it's just another example of the US behaving as some kind of World Police, and especially only doing so because of fears that other countries will exploit an American moment-of-weakness in the middle of a presidential transfer-of-power (a theme that keeps recurring across both fiction and history, but perhaps a discussion for another time), but they're doing it out of this notion of saving women from outdated anti-feminist practices, which doesn't really give me the sense of a high-minded ideal, because it's the same "saving the women" excuse that neoconservatives use to rationalize intervention, whether it's Afghanistan in the Reagan era, Afghanistan again in the Bush era, Syria in the Obama era, or Iran across all of these eras, where supposedly the US is obliged to overthrow regimes because they abuse women (and/or throw gay people from roofs).