Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Post in FYAD if you would like to post about FYAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

crumpo

e: don't know if i'm glad or disappointed this wasn't the page snipe

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Chooch was the one that redid all of the forum designs. He was actually our first coder after radium finally got kicked and removed from ever coming back. Chooch left because he was also the last paid coder and worked with us as long as he got paid, when lowtax wasn't able to support having a full time coder he left on good terms as far as everyone knew. He made the first headway into figuring wtf was going on with radium's code and documenting poo poo for everyone that came later.

Chooch was good and did great work for how insane the forums were after 11 years of radium and not having literally anything documented. It really can't be described how big a leap we took when he started working. Also we found out somehow that the copyright being changed could crash the forums.

UCS Hellmaker has a new favorite as of 23:43 on Dec 28, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Chooch was the one that redid all of the forum designs. He was actually our first coder after radium finally got kicked and removed from ever coming back. Chooch left because he was also the last paid coder and worked with us as long as he got paid, when lowtax wasn't able to support having a full time coder he left on good terms as far as everyone knew. He made the first headway into figuring wtf was going on with radium's code and documenting poo poo for everyone that came later.

Chooch was good and did great work for how insane the forums were after 11 years of radium and not having literally anything documented.

He’s the best coder the forums have had for implementing quote links, those are awesome.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

BYOB doesn't affect it at all.

Huh. Didn't know that part.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Not even that, we used to have them prior to 05? But radium's way was so intensive and hacked together that it reduced forum performance immensely. Because radium coded with 15 extra lines to 1 of someone sane. Along with Java redirects and calls to everything. And probably a puppy kill code in there.

Like it can't be described how ugly his coding is. It makes medical coding look sane. I'm not kidding where we had the forums go down before because the copyright got updated one year and boom.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Pastry of the Year posted:

Post in FYAD if you would like to post about FYAD.

Your solutions are not easy. They came to us, here, there's nowhere good on the forum to air grievances currently except right where each thing happens, and as for taking to it into FYAD people are wise to the fact that FYAD can chain-probe if you have a single post in their live forum, not that anyone should engage them all on their own terms or at all. I'd prefer this thread being about SA sagas ONLY too but I'd also prefer that none of them come in to gently caress with us every time current events come up so it's difficult.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
It feels extremely on brand for SA that I'm just now learning about this nigh-mythical coder who actually did things and made useful features.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Patrick Spens posted:

It feels extremely on brand for SA that I'm just now learning about this nigh-mythical coder who actually did things and made useful features.

It’s more fun to make fun of Radium and his demonic nightmare code than talk about someone who was good at his job and kept his head down, I guess.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Paladinus posted:

Huh. Didn't know that part.

it is the best part about byob

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Chooch still exists and is willing to help in a limited capacity given his job. He has been extremely helpful, to me. He is an underappreciated Forums Hero as far as I'm concerned.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Chooch still exists and is willing to help in a limited capacity given his job. He has been extremely helpful, to me. He is an underappreciated Forums Hero as far as I'm concerned.

That’s surprising, and nice. Honestly even if he literally never did ANYTHING except for quote links I’d still consider him a forums hero.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Chooch has stared into the abyss of Radium coding and walked away with his sanity intact, that's certainly worthy of remembrance.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Arfjason had 429 posts in the gbs superstar thread that existed for scanning for bullying opportunities across the forum.

Serious Norman had 447.

Crimpolini is active right now.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908174&userid=209109

Spanish Manlove may have tricked me earlier, oh well. The details of who don't matter. When you see it don't engage. Who gives a poo poo if you go one poster too far in "do not engage", it's still the right answer.

I am very tricksy, tricksy indeed. Glad my magic still works.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ariong posted:

That’s surprising, and nice. Honestly even if he literally never did ANYTHING except for quote links I’d still consider him a forums hero.

I really can’t overstate how much easier quote links makes following a long conversation, or finding stuff for people in mega threads.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Literally just laughed out loud remembering that radium handwich response.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
anyone has a link to the tony tango thread? or general thread where some dude comes in with his excellent idea and he is mocked to hell and back?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
If all you're looking for are FYADs you'll see FYADs everywhere

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

There was a GBS thread I recall where a poster claimed to have played the first Bioshock and smoked a fat one with an exotic foreign billionaire who he then played the game again with and both of them thought that Rapture from the game was a brilliant idea that needed to come to life and they were working on plans for it as he posted. Anyone else remember that?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cartoon Violence posted:

There was a GBS thread I recall where a poster claimed to have played the first Bioshock and smoked a fat one with an exotic foreign billionaire who he then played the game again with and both of them thought that Rapture from the game was a brilliant idea that needed to come to life and they were working on plans for it as he posted. Anyone else remember that?

There have been multiple thread attempts at a sovcit style enclave free from govt oppression. The commune in HI, the sea based libertarian city, desert enclaves etc.

I've got one saved

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3286091

Also, not to deflect all the delightful FYAD chat but remember when TCC was probably the biggest source of direct harm on the forums?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2208516

"Yeah, quit being such a whiner, that 2 year old was probably asleep during the crack party in the living room."

And this poster "mom" who posted almost exclusively in the cocaine thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3221380&userid=82519

Their final posts as of now was in 2016 trying to score some crack over in the Middle East.

mom posted:

So there is like NO meth here in Azerbaijan

mom posted:

Electrical subcontracting for an oil and gas company outside of Baku. Need meth.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 00:28 on Dec 29, 2019

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

pentyne posted:

There have been multiple thread attempts at a sovcit style enclave free from govt oppression. The commune in HI, the sea based libertarian city, desert enclaves etc.

I've got one saved

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3286091

Also, not to deflect all the delightful FYAD chat but remember when TCC was probably the biggest source of direct harm on the forums?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2208516

"Yeah, quit being such a whiner, that 2 year old was probably asleep during the crack party in the living room."

No I remember this thread too. They were very clearly made-up stories abiut how he accidentally got a well-paying position where had like no job duties and somehow nobody realized this and fired him or gave him job duties. The Oil Billionaire was a middle eastern shiekh he became best buds with because he worked for like a Texas oil company and I very clearly remember that there was a story beat where they go to a steak restaurant and he was extremely surprised that the Saudi oil baron was enough of a moderate muslim to eat beef.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Cartoon Violence posted:

I remember that, didn’t he claim part of his job was to schmooze with a middle eastern oil baron and went to crazy parties and strip clubs or something?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

watho posted:

I remember that, didn’t he claim part of his job was to schmooze with a middle eastern oil baron and went to crazy parties and strip clubs or something?

Isn't hiring a token white person as a friend a thing in other countries? Like in China or parts of Asia they'll hire a nice looking white person to schmooze and party so the guests, visitors, businessmen etc. find it exotic or unique.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

pentyne posted:

Isn't hiring a token white person as a friend a thing in other countries? Like in China or parts of Asia they'll hire a nice looking white person to schmooze and party so the guests, visitors, businessmen etc. find it exotic or unique.

Possibly but this was explicitly in America iirc

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I know I've heard an explanation before but heck if I can remember:

What was forums cancer anyway?

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
it made all your posts faded out unless you hovered over them, gave you a lovely avatar, and when you tried to post something it would randomly just play ponyta.swf at you or something

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Xarbala posted:

a punishment for lovely posters that actually made the experience worse for everyone

here, the stupid code is still active

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2208516&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post319210154

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Xarbala posted:

There was a subforum called RFF, later changed to RFA, that was kind of a containment sub for bad subs. Every time you posted in it you had a chance to get forums cancer which made your text hard to read, changed your av, and other stuff. It was a bad idea since it affected other people more than you

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

pentyne posted:

And this poster "mom" who posted almost exclusively in the cocaine thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3221380&userid=82519

Their final posts as of now was in 2016 trying to score some crack over in the Middle East.

I clicked through expecting these posts to be from like 2004 or something. They’re from 3 years ago. What the gently caress?

Xarbala posted:

An alternative punishment to probation or banning. People with forums cancer can still post, but their posts are greyed out and you have to hover over them to see them properly. They also have a unique forums cancer avatar. The only way to get rid of it is forums chemo, which costs six dollars unless granted by an admin. They don’t do it anymore because it breaks the forums somehow, and they cure anyone they see with it, but there are definitely people who don’t post anymore that still have it. You’ll see them if you go digging around old threads from a certain era.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

tcc is an excellent forum

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Chooch has stared into the abyss of Radium coding and walked away with his sanity intact, that's certainly worthy of remembrance.

There are no sane programmers. None. All of us are crazy. He didn't leave with his sanity intact; it was never intact to begin with.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Wish i could find SAerrorlog.jpg. I remember something about losing trees.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Brute Squad posted:

Wish i could find SAerrorlog.jpg. I remember something about losing trees.

Gotchu covered.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

SA’s Greatest Sagas: Couldn’t find constant HAMPRINCE

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

No I remember this thread too. They were very clearly made-up stories abiut how he accidentally got a well-paying position where had like no job duties and somehow nobody realized this and fired him or gave him job duties. The Oil Billionaire was a middle eastern shiekh he became best buds with because he worked for like a Texas oil company and I very clearly remember that there was a story beat where they go to a steak restaurant and he was extremely surprised that the Saudi oil baron was enough of a moderate muslim to eat beef.

Yes this is it! I remember all those same details! And yeah he did gloat about being paid to go to strip clubs and steakhouses all the time.

I remember it because it was posted around the same time a different goon posted an equally long-winded thread about how he hired a sex worker, because I remember him saying that he was having trouble getting aroused so she tickled him, I remember him saying "She said her name was Angel, and looking at her face it was obvious why that was her name" and him saying something like "She was real intelligent and I regret not having a more detailed discussion with her because I decided to suck on her titty for 15 straight minutes"

watho
Aug 2, 2013

the time is 1214517581 and you are gay

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

so what do we actually know about the specifics of radium's terrible code? I love looking at that poo poo

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Crocoswine posted:

Franco isn't a fyad poster

You cant just call people you dont like fyad posters

I mean, technically, there's no rule against it, and goons love their technicalities, soooooooo...

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm a fyad poster? Me?
it's finally happened, i'm so happy for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Cartoon Violence posted:

Yes this is it! I remember all those same details! And yeah he did gloat about being paid to go to strip clubs and steakhouses all the time.

I remember it because it was posted around the same time a different goon posted an equally long-winded thread about how he hired a sex worker, because I remember him saying that he was having trouble getting aroused so she tickled him, I remember him saying "She said her name was Angel, and looking at her face it was obvious why that was her name" and him saying something like "She was real intelligent and I regret not having a more detailed discussion with her because I decided to suck on her titty for 15 straight minutes"

Found it!

It was from 2001 so it might have been deleted like a lot of stuff from that era but it got saved on a google site.

EDIT: This doesnt have the oil sheikh story so its someone else probably.

BIG FLUFFY DOG has a new favorite as of 02:48 on Dec 29, 2019