Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

The Locator posted:

Is there a decent document anywhere on how to properly configure the stations? Mine are getting orders generated for say 1027 plastic, they go to the provider and stop for mere seconds and then take off with about that amount, it's not that the provider can't load them in 120 seconds, it can easily load them full in about 10-15 as I've got 12 stack-filter inserters per wagon.

You probably have wait for full load or something to that extent unchecked in the mod settings menu. It adds a 2s inactivity condition to the orders so trains chill out if there's more stuff for them to take even if they're only there for x amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Okay, so I need to change the request threshold away from default value, that makes sense.

I'll have another look at the fluid station tonight. Maybe download his demo map and see what is different on a working version vs. mine. If it's as simple as setting "petroleum > 0" that would be great, I can just restamp the blueprint over the station and try that.

Thanks

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

uPen posted:

You probably have wait for full load or something to that extent unchecked in the mod settings menu. It adds a 2s inactivity condition to the orders so trains chill out if there's more stuff for them to take even if they're only there for x amount.

Thanks, I will take a look at this also.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Thanks for the train tips. By playing with the settings on the requestor stations I have all my trains delivering only full loads now, which massively reduced my train traffic making the odds for me dying horribly to a train somewhat lower!

Obviously this will help immensely as I scale up as I don't need 4x as many trains as I should!

Still haven't played with the fluid train, will poke around with that tomorrow.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

poo poo, doing something obtuse like shipping steam by train sounds like extremely my poo poo and now I wish I had a laptop so I could ignore the family and play Factorio.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Argh, back on my bullshit... aka have reinstalled Factorio.

I'm still intrigued by a belt/train based megabase using crating/loader and warehouse mods. I just like the idea of superfast single wagon trains and trying to come up with some really high throuput distribution depots. Inspired by a video I saw that had a jumpstart base, regular starter base and an intermediate infrastructure base that was just for making the core components of the megabase (modules, beacons, belts etc) in bulk. That way the final megabase is only really for science (which also involves a lot of chips).

1300 hours in and I still haven't touched anything beyond QoL mods and minor logistic/infrastructure tweaks. One day I might try Bobs or something like that.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Gravy Jones posted:

Argh, back on my bullshit... aka have reinstalled Factorio.

I'm still intrigued by a belt/train based megabase using crating/loader and warehouse mods. I just like the idea of superfast single wagon trains and trying to come up with some really high throuput distribution depots. Inspired by a video I saw that had a jumpstart base, regular starter base and an intermediate infrastructure base that was just for making the core components of the megabase (modules, beacons, belts etc) in bulk. That way the final megabase is only really for science (which also involves a lot of chips).

1300 hours in and I still haven't touched anything beyond QoL mods and minor logistic/infrastructure tweaks. One day I might try Bobs or something like that.

I'm... somewhat less than that at like 250 but my shameful admission is I've never really played with biters

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I also got really into Factorio again recently, and picked up LTN as well. I used to just do same-name requester/provider stations and that works ok with circuit logic to turn the station off as necessary, but LTN is just simpler and easier, and replaces one or more deciders. Usually I have a constant combinator output the 1-train limit (so just one train can use the station, no trains queue) plus a requestor/provider minimum based on the good. Right now I'm using 1x4x1 trains, and a normal train holds ~16k items that have 100-item stacks (steel, iron plates) but only 8k of things like coal or engines. The default with LTN is 1000 which is fine for small trains but there's no one size fits all. For fluid stops my trains hold 100k units, I had trains topping off a 1M reservoir 1k oil at a time until I set the limits.

I'm also the farthest I've ever gotten, I'm a pretty slow player but normally I burn out around the transition from red chips to blue. I just now automated that, so yeah officially the farthest I've gotten. I think it helps that this time I set a pretty small vertical limit to the map size, so my whole map is just one long strip two screens high. I have one straight rail right down the middle, maybe one side or both would've been better but it's working out pretty well. I turned down biter expansion and evolution (or maybe off entirely) - the distances and map itself are challenging enough.

16k pixel wide of shot my base:
https://i.imgur.com/2NE1Dwj.gif

Koobze fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 25, 2019

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Maybe link to that instead of posting it as a timg, which forces everyone who views the thread to download it

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Koobze posted:

I also got really into Factorio again recently, and picked up LTN as well. I used to just do same-name requester/provider stations and that works ok with circuit logic to turn the station off as necessary, but LTN is just simpler and easier, and replaces one or more deciders. Usually I have a constant combinator output the 1-train limit (so just one train can use the station, no trains queue) plus a requestor/provider minimum based on the good. Right now I'm using 1x4x1 trains, and a normal train holds ~16k items that have 100-item stacks (steel, iron plates) but only 8k of things like coal or engines. The default with LTN is 1000 which is fine for small trains but there's no one size fits all. For fluid stops my trains hold 100k units, I had trains topping off a 1M reservoir 1k oil at a time until I set the limits.

I'm also the farthest I've ever gotten, I'm a pretty slow player but normally I burn out around the transition from red chips to blue. I just now automated that, so yeah officially the farthest I've gotten. I think it helps that this time I set a pretty small vertical limit to the map size, so my whole map is just one long strip two screens high. I have one straight rail right down the middle, maybe one side or both would've been better but it's working out pretty well. I turned down biter expansion and evolution (or maybe off entirely) - the distances and map itself are challenging enough.

16k pixel wide of shot my base:

That's certainly an interesting map. Never even occurred to me to try something like that!

Scaling gets pretty entertaining when you hit blue chips. I just built out a facility to build all of 1/2 a red belt of blue chips, and it has completely broken my huge 4 full red belt output of green circuits.

I think what I need to do now (having never really scaled beyond fairly slow'ish science before) is to go out and build a bunch of mines and then some huge smelting stacks in order to be able to supply something like 20 red belts of green circuits, since that's what I am pretty sure I need to support just my blue circuits when I double it out to a full red belt. Of course I need to add even more in order to support everything else's needs at the same time!

Learning how to build the train stations in a reasonably efficient way without just stealing designs from the internet has been interesting and has included more than a few failures as my concept of the station design flopped horribly! I did figure out how to get a pair of warehouses to feed a double-stack loading system at my mines, but somehow it breaks LTN and the light always stays green even when a train shows up and is loading. Never changes to yellow when a train is on the way or anything, but it still works! I have no idea how I did it, as I was mucking about with my loader chests and inserters meaning I broke and reconnected wires a bunch of times, but it all looks fine to me right now as far as wiring, all the inserters work, but the light... not so much. Oh well.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

GotLag posted:

Maybe link to that instead of posting it as a timg, which forces everyone who views the thread to download it

It's only a 4.8KB image.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

The Locator posted:

It's only a 4.8KB image.

You mean 4.8MB. And to some (or people on phones), it could be a lot.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
[56k Unsafe]

I do feel bad for people with data caps though

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ambaire posted:

You mean 4.8MB. And to some (or people on phones), it could be a lot.

Oops... I shifted my decimal.. poorly. lol. Sorry about that.

I guess T-Mobile has spoiled me with unlimited everything, I don't even think about data on phones anymore.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

GotLag posted:

Woops! Fixed.

The Locator posted:

Learning how to build the train stations in a reasonably efficient way without just stealing designs from the internet has been interesting and has included more than a few failures as my concept of the station design flopped horribly! I did figure out how to get a pair of warehouses to feed a double-stack loading system at my mines, but somehow it breaks LTN and the light always stays green even when a train shows up and is loading. Never changes to yellow when a train is on the way or anything, but it still works! I have no idea how I did it, as I was mucking about with my loader chests and inserters meaning I broke and reconnected wires a bunch of times, but it all looks fine to me right now as far as wiring, all the inserters work, but the light... not so much. Oh well.

I watched a video on how LTN works, but other than that I make all my stations and stuff by hand. Ultimately your station doesn't need much - mine only have one constant combinator to set the limits and request, and then just wire it up directlyto the chests and station. Once I have something that works I copy and paste it a lot, but even between games I don't save blueprints, so every time I start a new game all my designs are kinda fresh. Plus with the weird size map it really makes existing designs useless - I haven't done nuclear too often, but I think it's gonna be a tight squeeze, and I don't think there'll be room to do any 4+ nuclear reactor setups on my small map.

I just recently finished redoing my whole iron/steel/copper smelter area (far right of the map) since it was inefficient, and I'm still not processing all of the ore efficiently. I may end up redesigning it yet again (next time I will hopefully have tons of bots, right now I just have 20 that I start with thanks to a mod) but it's a tradeoff - space is so tight my choice is either "belt ore really far" or more trains. I'm concerned that at some point my single rail network will be overloaded, I've already been trying to clump parts of my factory together to reduce train use but there's only so much I can do. I may end up having to use bigger trains to get the throughput I need, and maybe do a one-way left-rail at the top of the map and one-way right-rail at the bottom - or even two at each side and make it like a highway with a slip lane.

Right now my factory is fairly stable and slowly producing the blue chips, so I'll probably get the next science production going and then start exploring out further to the sides. It's handy that I have these oceans to cross, protecting me from any biters, on the other hand I have no uranium so I do need to explore. Power is an issue and if I keep relying on solar+batteries I won't have enough space. I guess I could just make some massive steam generator blocks, but I try to minimize pollution if I can.

Here's a picture of the center of my base:

This is where I started, and I did the bare minimum to get up to red chips. From the beginning I left a spot in the middle empty for the train station, and I used to have green chip production at the bottom (small-scale, not even one full yellow belt worth) before replacing it with a feed from a train station. I made the middle also have a 'mall' of sorts, just a bunch of single factories making inserters and whatever other basics and putting the output in a chest, so I can pull up in my train and grab what I need. I even have two mini steel smelters in the starting area since that was more convenient due to space.

There's also some neat circuits there. I built the big LED readout to show my current battery charge level, and there's two vertical bars of lights to the right of the lake - the right bar is also the current battery level, while the left is the lowest battery level since the last time I reset it (via constant combinator). I also have the steam generators rigged to only turn on if the batteries go below 20%, but that's from long ago, there's no way those generators are making any dent in the power demands now. My fields of solar panel and battery fields have long replaced steam, but I am going to need to make some massive fields to support blue chips.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
e: mispost

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Dear goons, help me understand my failure as a human being and factory builder (and game player).

I am trying to scale up my factory in a way much larger than I've ever done before while allowing LTN to schedule my trains. In the past I've only used dedicated point-to-point routed trains with stackers and saturated the route based on stacker size so I was able to get a pretty huge throughput with trains.

LTN is pretty awesome at my small scale stuff, but now that I'm in need of a lot more trains serving a single drop-off point, it's just completely failing to schedule enough trains, and I have no idea why. Hopefully you guys can help!

Here is my situation with Iron Ore into my new smelting stack. My unloader can dump the entire load of ore in probably 5 seconds or so, but even though I am asking for huge quantities of ore, it just doesn't seem to want to schedule more than a couple of trains at a time to be doing pickups, even though as seen here, I have a bunch of loading stations sitting idle with lots of ore waiting:

As you can see, I have 6 loading stations with plenty of ore, but only 2 of them show a train scheduled to actually pick up any ore. On the requester side, you can see I have an open request for -45k ore, but only a single train load of 4k ore is scheduled. My old starter smelting station which works fine with a fairly low frequency of trains incoming actually has 2 incoming and often has 2 or more in the queue just sitting and waiting to unload.

Am I doing something incredibly wrong, or is it the nature of LTN that I have to provide a huge number of unloading stations in order to get more trains to be scheduled?

Here is my iron ore requester.

I've played with the number of trains, completely clearing it and changing the numbers, but doesn't seem to make any difference. I've changed the requested amount of ore, but that doesn't seem to get it to send more trains either. Kind of stumped here... I wanted to do this base with a bunch of small speedy trains, but it's beginning to look like I may have to reconsider if that's even possible, and might have to go with much larger trains if I can't get more trains to schedule.

I do realize that the screenshot is for copper, but it's set up identical to the Iron and has the same problem.

Edit: Also at the point I was looking at this, I had anywhere from 10-14 idle trains sitting in depot, so the trains are available.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

The Locator posted:

Dear goons, help me understand my failure as a human being and factory builder (and game player).

[...]

Am I doing something incredibly wrong, or is it the nature of LTN that I have to provide a huge number of unloading stations in order to get more trains to be scheduled?

Your LTN use is far beyond mine, I have a max of 2 trains per station, but have you messed with the mod settings? Mine are:

There's also the dropdown to control the alerts - maybe making that more verbose will help debug, it should spam your screen with messages related to LTN and maybe something makes sense there. At one point, I'm not sure what happened but I had some kind of issue, I kept getting spam where it was complaining that it couldn't find a train with a length between 0 and 0, which didn't make any sense. I think my solution was to delete the LTN stop it was complaining about and redo it (just the station and then reconnect the wires).

Edit because I forgot: Thanks for your screenshot! I didn't know LTN tracker exists and it's something I've wanted to have, so that's great.
Also in case anyone else doesn't realize - if you hit tilde to pop up the console you can see the history of LTN notifications there. I kept getting annoyed that it faded away too fast till I realized this.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
I don't have answers to all of that, but one thing i can comment on: LTN-Tracker only shows routes currently on the leg specifically *to* that station. If you click on the station name you'll probably often see that multiple trains are assigned routes with that station in them.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Looks like the iron ore only requests when under 4k. LTN should be sending trains until it hits 60k at that point, I think. But try increasing the request threshold to a higher value and see if that helps.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

necrotic posted:

Looks like the iron ore only requests when under 4k. LTN should be sending trains until it hits 60k at that point, I think. But try increasing the request threshold to a higher value and see if that helps.

Thanks, but the request threshold is how much the station needs to require before sending a train, (i.e. only request a minimum of 4k, not a 'when under' 4k). The 4k is set because that is a full 1-2 train, and I was trying to get LTN to stop dispatching trains with 1k ore (and this worked perfectly). If I set the threshold to say 8k, it will never be able to request at all because the trains can't hold that much? I'll certainly try it, got nothing to lose!

Koobze posted:

Your LTN use is far beyond mine, I have a max of 2 trains per station, but have you messed with the mod settings? Mine are:

There's also the dropdown to control the alerts - maybe making that more verbose will help debug, it should spam your screen with messages related to LTN and maybe something makes sense there. At one point, I'm not sure what happened but I had some kind of issue, I kept getting spam where it was complaining that it couldn't find a train with a length between 0 and 0, which didn't make any sense. I think my solution was to delete the LTN stop it was complaining about and redo it (just the station and then reconnect the wires).

Edit because I forgot: Thanks for your screenshot! I didn't know LTN tracker exists and it's something I've wanted to have, so that's great.
Also in case anyone else doesn't realize - if you hit tilde to pop up the console you can see the history of LTN notifications there. I kept getting annoyed that it faded away too fast till I realized this.

I get the same spam, but the stations that give those alerts are working, so not sure what it's from. I think it might be related to stations requesting stuff that isn't meeting my request thresholds as the main culprits for me are my green circuit requesters that I brought online for my blue circuits that are demanding far more green circuits than my current green circuit output can supply. That's my current project - quadrupling my green circuit output, but I can't do that without plates, which I'm struggling to get trains to supply with ore!

Mithaldu posted:

I don't have answers to all of that, but one thing i can comment on: LTN-Tracker only shows routes currently on the leg specifically *to* that station. If you click on the station name you'll probably often see that multiple trains are assigned routes with that station in them.

Thanks. I was noticing a bit of a disconnect there, but usually what I was seeing when I checked the stations I would see that another train not shown on the tracker was on it's way back to a depot, and I still have a bunch of ore supply stations sitting idle while my smelter stacks are starving for ore. Short of rebuilding everything with dedicated trains and stackers to handle them, I am sort of stumped, but will keep playing with the requester/provider settings to see what I can come up with.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 26, 2019

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

The Locator posted:

Thanks, but the request threshold is how much the station needs to require before sending a train, (i.e. only request a minimum of 4k, not a 'when under' 4k). The 4k is set because that is a full 1-2 train, and I was trying to get LTN to stop dispatching trains with 1k ore (and this worked perfectly). If I set the threshold to say 8k, it will never be able to request at all because the trains can't hold that much? I'll certainly try it, got nothing to lose!

Ah, you're right. I got nothing, I haven't used LTN in a while (playing a full vanilla game right now).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So playing around with this for a few hours this morning while pretending to work... and it seems the only real solution is to simply build a ton of stations to provide the ore, and go for compact size rather than stupid fast unloading, as that's the only way to get LTN to schedule a bunch of ore trains, trying to satisfy a bunch of stations.

Hopefully I'm missing something and there is a more elegant way to do this, but that's my current feeling on what the 'solution' is.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I really hate the early game but I wanted to try IR/krastorio so I loaded up an old reasonably advanced IR game but with krastorio also enabled this time and hell, not bad. Probably an equivalent amount of work to starting from scratch lol

e: to be clear everything is broken but I still find fixing it all more fun than setting up a whole new base

Phobeste fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 26, 2019

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I'm in somewhat of a similar scenario to you. My current game is on a wide ribbon-- 14 chunks tall (two radars base coverage) which is generous enough that I don't have to be super-compact but does force the use of trains and means relatively limited defensive perimeters will suffice. (That said it was touch-and-go for a bit with only minimally-upgraded piercing ammo before blue science spooled up.) I've actually launched my first rocket with this base, despite owning this game for [REDACTED]. Also my 140th rocket. Anyway, this was a pure vanilla run which has certainly made me miss squeak-through, but I've certainly learned a lot; automatic train scheduling (and the limitations thereof), basic nuclear power systems, bot based construction and logistic systems, more advanced blueprint features and building my own library, power armor... basically all the built-in solutions to all the difficulties that prevented me from progressing past the spaghetti and optimisation paralysis that building everything by hand always choked my previous games. I feel like I've really learned a lot and have some comments that might help.

Nuclear: It's easier than it seems.
-Reactors will always burn a fuel rod in 200 seconds. This is the only place energy can be lost; if the reactor is at 999 degrees then heat is being lost. This only matters if you have very limited U235 production.
-Reactors heat each other both for the neighbour-production bonus but also for further transmission into heat-pipes or heat exchangers. You don't need to draw heat directly out of each reactor if it can be transmitted out another way.
-Large reactor designs are more about pumping sufficient water IN than getting steam out.
-You also don't need much uranium, one centrifuge refining ore should produce enough U235 naturally to fuel a single reactor, if you reserve the first few pieces and build a Kovarex loop you will quickly be swimming in the stuff. I have had 5 centrifuges running on that and have built up 3-4 steel chests full. Not sure what to do with it all. Make sure you don't spend all the basic 238 on ammo though, it's useful to keep a small quantity in reserve.
I've been scaling up a 2xN design by occasionally adding an inserter to fuel another reactor when capacity starts lowering. Water delivery is the most pressing issue than power wastage and I'm producing 500+MW continuously without seeing much drop in steam levels.

I would add a comment about trying to run a scalable train delivery system without mods or global circuit network but I'll just say it doesn't work without consistent oversupply. I think it can work but I need to rework a few things in my track routing.

Regarding construction robots: The faster one can get to not building things by hand, the better. The game's tagline is 'Automation in progress' for a reason.

E: I can absolutely remember uranium isotope numbers off the top of my head and am never wrong.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 28, 2019

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

"im not going to do a bus, i want to do a grid setup. ill just get to robots first..."

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I have solved my materials supply issue.

So it turns out that I had a problem with my LTN setup that I was unaware of, combined with the fact that it simply won't cycle trains into a single station fast enough to keep a super high volume of materials flowing reliably.

Problem - the message saying something about not being able to find a train length of 0 to 0 (or something). Seems that a bunch of my trains were idle and unable to be used. I'm not sure why, but I had 18 trains idle with just the normal waiting lamp on, so I went through them 1 by 1 and cycled them from manual to auto while sitting in the depot.. and bam, they grabbed a schedule and went out to do work.

Volume issue solution. In order to supply 8 full red belts of materials, it seems to really need a setup of multiple train stations dropping off to just a few belts. It simply won't schedule enough trains back to back for a single station in order to have them stacked up and waiting every 8-10 seconds. I solved this in typical unimaginative brute force fashion.

My inbound ore setup (these feed into the original stations that both had 2 drops already, combining into 8 belts into the smelting stacks):

And for 1 of my green circuit factories, I was having the same problems with both iron and copper, so I tore out all the old supply stations and rebuilt it into this:

I had to stop in middle of all this as things spooled up and I hit my power-cap on my thrown together 2x2 nuclear power plant at 430mw, so I had to throw down another one. I was actually intentionally waiting for the brownouts to see how much power it actually made. 430 is good, but I was surprised how far below 480 it was given it's fairly compact. I'll have to mess with nuclear designs another day.

Things are running smoothly now, but all my trains are in action pretty much 100% of the time so time to find a place and build out another depot or two and add a bunch of trains before continuing to scale my copper up to add more green circuits, as I'm still only about 2/5 of what I need to support just the red & blue circuit factories I've already built.

Research is all complete up to Space Science, so I need to get started on that too! So much to do... this game is crack.. :v:

Edit: And looking at the last picture, I forgot to finish signaling the outbound train lanes... oops..

Edit again: reduced image sizes

The Locator fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 26, 2019

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

A main bus is always going to be a decent organizing principle for low-throughput on-demand stuff; basically the mall you build to create the machines and materials to build out your capacities, initially.

There is no shame in leveraging that into a transition!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

LonsomeSon posted:

A main bus is always going to be a decent organizing principle for low-throughput on-demand stuff; basically the mall you build to create the machines and materials to build out your capacities, initially.

There is no shame in leveraging that into a transition!

My original little starter base was pure spaghetti without a bus this time. I've never done it without a bus before. I kept milking it until I got logistics bots and then built a completely new materials supply base that's got trains dumping the raw materials into passive provider chests and every single assembly machine making all the belts, assemblers, etc.. is just a single requester chest in and a passive provider chest out.

Other than my Kovarex, it's the only place in my entire game using logistics bots. That will change when I get around to making nuclear fuel for my trains, because I'm not gonna set up trains to move the fuel cells to the depots when the bots can just do it without adding more congestion to my tracks. Bonus I can eliminate the fuel delivery siding at each depot!

This big LTN train experiment is the first time I've ever done Factorio completely without a main bus. Belts are only used inside the local components of the factory. One of the biggest challenges for me personally is just spreading out and using so much space. I just naturally want to compact everything, but that always bites me in the rear when I have to redesign something and don't have any space left for the new design. It's kind of cool just putting stuff out in whatever giant empty area I find when I need a new 'thing' built.

One thing I need to do better is the core rail network though. I've managed to build in a couple of fairly significant bottlenecks where the trains sometimes back up waiting for each other to get through a multiple set of intersections that I built too close together.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

sometimes its fun to just embrace the spaghetti! ive got it putting out all my basics now up to red belts, construction bots and electric furnaces. always do a bus normally with a big smelter array so this time is grids and on site smelting at the miners just to try something different

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Stux posted:

sometimes its fun to just embrace the spaghetti! ive got it putting out all my basics now up to red belts, construction bots and electric furnaces. always do a bus normally with a big smelter array so this time is grids and on site smelting at the miners just to try something different

Even though my plan was to do all modular stuff and never move my smelters, I may go to on-site remote smelting and just remove them when they run out every time rather than dealing with the train mess with the ore to the smelters as I scale up more. Removing that step will reduce my train requirements to get plates to their destination by 2/3rds, just means more building and later deconstruction. Also longer trips for the plates so will have to take that into account when deciding how many plate in-bound stations to build I guess.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Oh man. I'm making my way through Krastorio and just got to red circuits. WTF.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Ok, took me a little bit to think through how to explain the issue, but it boils down to one thing: The LTN tracker fails to report how much ore that is being provided is already *ear-marked* for other incoming trains.

Assume trains can take more than 4k and the issue is they will take only 4k. Here's how this happens.

- miners make 4k ore, set provided to 4k
- requester sends a train to grab the 4k immediately, set provided to 4k, ear-marked to 4k
- miners make 4k ore, set provided to 8k, ear-marked to 4k
- requester sends a train to grab the 4k immediately, set provided to 8k, ear-marked to 8k
- miners make 4k ore, set provided to 12k, ear-marked to 8k
- requester sends a train to grab the 4k immediately, set provided to 12k, ear-marked to 12k
- miners make 4k ore, set provided to 16k, ear-marked to 12k

Ad infinitum.

There's exactly two solutions for this: 1. Limit provider station to 1 train. 2. Increase the provide limit on the provider station

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Teledahn posted:

-Reactors will always burn a fuel rod in 200 seconds. This is the only place energy can be lost; if the reactor is at 999 degrees then heat is being lost. This only matters if you have very limited U238 production.
-You also don't need much uranium, one centrifuge refining ore should produce enough U238 naturally to fuel a single reactor, if you reserve the first few pieces and build a Kovarex loop you will quickly be swimming in the stuff. I have had 5 centrifuges running on that and have built up 3-4 steel chests full. Not sure what to do with it all. Make sure you don't spend all the basic 235 on ammo though, it's useful to keep a small quantity in reserve.
I've been scaling up a 2xN design by occasionally adding an inserter to fuel another reactor when capacity starts lowering. Water delivery is the most pressing issue than power wastage and I'm producing 500+MW continuously without seeing much drop in steam levels.

Just so noone gets confused when reading that post, it's U238 (dark green ingame) that's the common one (and used for ammo) and U235 (bright glowing green ingame) that's the uncommon.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Ambaire posted:

Just so noone gets confused when reading that post, it's U238 (dark green ingame) that's the common one (and used for ammo) and U235 (bright glowing green ingame) that's the uncommon.

Whoops! You are entirely correct and I got them backwards. Will edit post.

Also, latest FFF. Scrapping the new tutorial because it's not focused enough on automation and the spirit of the game. Hmm... I see what he means but not sure I agree in going back to the old tutorials.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 28, 2019

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Does anyone else feel the desire to just turn the biters off at some point in the progression of the game when they are just a time-sink but don't really pose any threat at all?

I mean unless I just run into the middle of a large group of biter nests and stop and go get a drink or something, they are simply something that takes time to clear, as my death-suit of self defense lasers and shields allows me to just run through the middle of them and clear the nests almost as fast as my suit can run. Sometimes it misses one and I have to go back for it.

I did test, and if I get a big enough pack aggroed and then stand still, they can still kill me, but as long as I keep moving, even if I'm super slow from the spitters, I don't get hurt much at all, and the shields regen rapidly.

Seems like I should have biters as something to do with all this weapons tech, but after the attacks against the walls annoy me too much I just run out in my suit and clean out everything within my pollution cloud to get some peace for a while. My artillery range is too short even when manual targeting to reach the edge of the pollution, so my 8-wagon arty train just sits in the base never moving.

It's kind of fun to slaughter a bug village initially, but after a few trips through the country bug villages, they all pretty much look the same as they get melted into bug goo by the all powerful lasers of doom.

In actual factory stuff, I've begun plopping down smelter lines at each ore patch as I put mines on them, and the trains are grabbing those plates as fast as I can put down new mines, and my red and blue circuit factories are finally getting enough copper to be happy and run at full production. I used factorio calculator to see how many full red belts a patch should be able to supply, and then reduced that number for setting up the smelting lines. Example of an ore patch that should support 10 belts, I set up 6 full lines of furnaces and on one that should support 15.6 lines I set up 8 furnaces. I figured this will keep those smelting lines running at 100% for a much longer portion of the ore-patch life than if I maxed them out immediately.. and there are always more ore patches!

If you use the on-site smelting like this, do you just let them run until they are completely out of ore, or do you just pull up stakes and move whenever the patch starts petering out and the furnaces aren't running full speed?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Infrastructure is pretty cheap, no? You'd definitely want to have a new patch set up and exploited by the time the old one starts running dry, but there's little sense in spending time and effort dismantling the old one until it's actually gone. (And trying to come up with a partial-downscaling to match the reduced ore output is a complete waste of time).

Remember that player attention is the biggest constraint in the game.

E: Also, chests are dirt cheap, as are warehouses if you use any sort of warehousing mod. Buffering the ore before it enters your smelting columns will keep the furnaces running full speed even longer as the ore patch starts to run out.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 28, 2019

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Wouldn’t you end up with a big mess of trains running around mostly empty as the patch stops being able to support furnace loads, even with the warehouse buffer? I tried it once and ended up breaking my rail network from overload :(

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you're manually routing trains, tell them to wait until they're full with a long timeout value, and don't have the same train hitting multiple outposts. But in any case, why would that break your network? You don't have any more trains than there were when the outpost was fully working?

If you're using LTN, I'm pretty sure it doesn't route trains to an outpost that doesn't have enough stuff available for pickup? The only time you'd get into trouble is if that station is your only source for something and you haven't actually set up a replacement, in which case too many trains isn't your actual problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Kinetica posted:

Wouldn’t you end up with a big mess of trains running around mostly empty as the patch stops being able to support furnace loads, even with the warehouse buffer? I tried it once and ended up breaking my rail network from overload :(

Don't let your trains run around nearly empty. Set them to only leave when full.

Yes, your factory will be off half the time, but that's always goung to be true if you're not making enough input. You're just choosing between shorter and longer outage cycles.