Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
still scratching my head over crimson flower being the 'hidden' route that you have to opt into. i assume that the majority of players won't replay the game, which is part of why three houses reuses a fair amount of content, so why 'gotcha' all the edelgard stans by making it even remotely possible to not be able to side with her? especially given the push she got from the marketing

also i have to say the way the hypothetical single-run players would approach this game is a form of art all on its own, in terms of how it creates an interesting interpretive struggle between the different perspectives. except that the slytherins were actually the Real Bad Guys all along and claude's route is stupid outside of its finale

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

imo there should only be 2 routes (edelgard vs rhea/the church). eddy has valid points but the methods she uses to achieve her goals are questionable. there's your moral dilemma. also no recruiting from other factions because that's kinda lame and takes a lot out of the narrative. maybe you can choose one other house to side with you and the other defaults to the other team or something

I wish they'd stop using evil villain groups pulling the strings behind the scenes

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

i think it's really stupid that they hide edelgard's route the way they do, but it does has a fun story justification. If you don't care enough about her to speak with her during the entire month (or get her support up to C+) then why should she trust you with her plan?

but in practice it's kinda dumb. I've seen at least a few confused people saying they only had one save file and they don't want to play through twenty hours of part 1 again so they can actually side with edelgard.

i just think if they were gonna do something like that, they should go all in. give one or two routes but with multiple branches and choices. Make a combined Church/BL path, and you choose whether to stick with Dimitri or overthrow him for the church's sake. Pick the empire, and you have to choose if you can compromise with Claude.

If Byleth could make real choices, even if it's attack Enbarr vs rescue Fhirdiad, that would go a long way into making them an interesting character. As it is, they're always just along for the ride.

It does make picking Edelgard's path cool though, because it's the one time you really make a decision.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Everybody being like "Edlegard's Crimson Flower route is the secret route" but it's deadass the first one I saw and I didn't realize that choosing the Church instead of her was supposed to be the "main" one.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the church route isn't the main route in any meaningful sense, but it's the default course of action the game puts you on if you get tired of talking to every single character all the dang time. that's the problem i'm complaining about. and i didn't even accidentally end up on the church route! i'm just expecting that a lot of people did and felt owned by it

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Speaking of counterfactuals: in the universe where I have unlimited budget, the golden deer route gets a cutscene when you fight Kostas for a second time and Claude tries to do the same thing to him that he does to Nemesis in the final battle cutscene but he's not connected enough to Byleth to pull it off

Also maybe Nemesis is later revived in Kostas' body in order to really sell the part where he's just a random bandit that the agarthans turned into a legendary 'hero'.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

i'd like a DLC where Byleth does die in the beginning, the three lords have to work together, and evil zombie Byleth is the final boss.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

edelgard route is hidden in the same way kellam is hidden in awakening. it's not but people miss it anyway

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My unlimited budget wish at the moment would simply be more acknowledgement when you poach students from other houses - say, your house throws a little party to welcome the new person and the gang talks a bit about their decision to jump ship. Then have your poaches show up in the scenes where the whole house is getting together. Though I do understand why they don't do that given the sheer number of people you can recruit. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the number of people I have, and I only grabbed three students and one staff (going to be two staff as soon as the game lets me grab someone in particular).

I think I've finally figured out how archers tick in this game, too. Ashe has gone from an underperformer likely to be benched to a rock solid member of the team, and Bernie's first official outing with the Blue Lions I'd argue earned her the MVP award more than the person who actually got it who I was just feeding easy kills to because she was lagging behind in xp.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

My unlimited budget wish at the moment would simply be more acknowledgement when you poach students from other houses - say, your house throws a little party to welcome the new person and the gang talks a bit about their decision to jump ship. Then have your poaches show up in the scenes where the whole house is getting together. Though I do understand why they don't do that given the sheer number of people you can recruit. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the number of people I have, and I only grabbed three students and one staff (going to be two staff as soon as the game lets me grab someone in particular).

The only time something like that would be needed the game does it.

For every route but the Edelgard route there is no big decision. Everyone gets caught up in the flow and gets scattered when the time skip starts. When it ends everybody comes back together for the hope of some stability and to their surprise they find that the professor is back. For the Edelgard route just before the attack there is a unique map where you get to talk with everyone who has joined your class to hear exactly why they are siding with you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, students: please stop asking me to change your training goals... to the exact same thing I already have set for you, it bugs out and removes one of those goals when I say yes.

Edit: How did I only now figure out there's an Abilities menu where you can swap characters' abilities in and out?

Just finished the battle of the eagle and the lion, won both the battle and the prize for the Lions. Really fun battle, though both Edelgard and Claude went out ignominiously. Edelgard soloed Raphael and came out with just a sliver of her health, then Felix happened. Claude went down to a Bernie/Dedue tag team, having accomplished nothing but shaving off a tiny amount of Dedue's HP.

I'm hitting the advanced classes, at least on my highest level characters, but so far only Dimitri actually qualified for one I wanted, going paladin. Beleth still needs B swords for assassin, Dedue A axes for warrior, and Felix A swords for swordmaster. Everyone else ranges from levels 15 or so (Flayn) to 19.

Shipping's going well, most characters have hit their next support with their intended pairing being locked behind the time skip.

In general, though, I've hit a very solid roster I'm happy with: Dimitri, Beleth, Dedue, and Felix are an unstoppable front line; Bernie and Ashe are invaluable as archers; Marianne and Mercedes are the healers; and Annette and Dorothea provide mage support. Flayn and Shamir live as adjutants, Sylvain and Ingrid are benched until it's time to dancer one of them.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 28, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Imagine picking the house with Edelgard in it and NOT choosing to side with her.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Leal posted:

Imagine picking the house with Edelgard in it and NOT choosing to side with her.

yeah what i'm saying is that this is possible to do without trying to, which is dumb

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

ungulateman posted:

yeah what i'm saying is that this is possible to do without trying to, which is dumb

It's not handled the best possible way but the idea is nice. Edelgard was heavily featured in the advertising of the game leading a lot of people picking Black Eagles first. A lordless run with your lord turning against you is a nice way to shake up the FE formula. It's a shame the church route is such trash.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

really they should have made the church route the opposite of Fates Revelation, have it be a path where all three factions end up fighting you and you end up leading the slithers to victory.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Leal posted:

Pretty easy to do, I think!

But yeah Edelgard's route being blocked behind an easy to miss event is terrible.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Hmmm, having trouble with a map for my first time - the Manuela/Hanneman paralogue. Physic on Mercedes kept Manuela in the fight until the pegasus knight who takes her out in one round.

Is the solution just to bring high mobility units and rush the boss?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

you could also use Rescue on her with Flayn, or use the Stride gambit to get to her quicker.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The enemies won't move until you advance on the group below the boss so just ignore that and send everyone towards Manuela. Also change Manuela's equipment maybe? I don't remember her starting speed but Nosferatu is loving heavy and is probably what tanks her into 1RKO range.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Brought Flayn and beat it, though I came within a whisker of losing Felix.

Better unit composition in the future, I suppose. I only poached Manuela for story purposes.

Knocked out this and Felix's paralogue this month. Looks like I can postpone this Red Canyon one, though.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

McTimmy posted:

The enemies won't move until you advance on the group below the boss so just ignore that and send everyone towards Manuela.

This is the optimal strategy because it also means the thief with the rapier runs into your advancing army rather than away from it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The ultimate cheese is to just wait until you can make Maneula a peg knight

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

McTimmy posted:

The enemies won't move until you advance on the group below the boss so just ignore that and send everyone towards Manuela. Also change Manuela's equipment maybe? I don't remember her starting speed but Nosferatu is loving heavy and is probably what tanks her into 1RKO range.

lmao is this true on every difficulty? I noticed that enemies keep to their lane unless you provoke them even on maddening, but I never thought to try this

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

level 15 byleth with 8 def and 13 res: like hubert, i too wish i could be a pretty pegasus knight

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Peg Knight Byleth with bows is perhaps history's greatest monster

I can't wait until Dark Flier drops

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Assassin Beleth is doing wonders for me so far. She soloed the Death Knight at Remire Village, and crits about as often if not more so than she scores regular hits.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Carlosologist posted:

Peg Knight Byleth with bows is perhaps history's greatest monster

I can't wait until Dark Flier drops
I'm running Falcon Knight Byleth on my Azure Moon run, and she is very good alongside her Wyvern Lord husband Dedue. Getting him into Wyvern Lord has been a bit of a struggle (why must you have a weakness in Flying, Dedue?), but hey, now Dimitri has three excellent fliers (Ingrid is the third flier) to call upon.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

lmao is this true on every difficulty? I noticed that enemies keep to their lane unless you provoke them even on maddening, but I never thought to try this

A lot "gotta rescue this unit fast!" are better taken slowly, weirdly enough.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://twitter.com/kappa35kappa/status/1211166210416467968

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You heard it on McCarley's voice even with the Japanese text too, didn't you? :allears:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Wait, is the text box... part of the cosplay? :aaaaa:

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Cattail Prophet posted:

Wait, is the text box... part of the cosplay? :aaaaa:

lol didnt even notice that, nice

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I just got this game, it's my first Fire Emblem game, I chose Dimitri and the Blue Lions because he was the cutie I was most attracted to, and also is it "DEE-doo" or "De-DOO-eh".

I have very little understanding of what's going on, I just finished the class practice battle royale but I'm charmed as hell and having a great time so far.

edit-- oh I remember what I was going to ask. If I leave it on "Normal"/"Casual", will that hamstring me in any way? I've read that it's perfectly fine to play that way and then switch to "Hard"/"Classic" in New Game+

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

De-doo

It depends what you mean by hamstring. From what I can tell, most people think normal is pretty easy, and most people think casual is wayyyy too easy.

Unfortunately in this game, you can lower difficulty but you can't raise it, and you can't switch between classic and casual.

I guess it depends how annoyed you'll get by a game being too easy. Whether it's easy or hard, this game can take a long time to get through because a lot of your time will be spent out of battle. So you might want to start over because you're early on.

If you don't care about difficulty at all you're set.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

COOL CORN posted:

I just got this game, it's my first Fire Emblem game, I chose Dimitri and the Blue Lions because he was the cutie I was most attracted to, and also is it "DEE-doo" or "De-DOO-eh".

I have very little understanding of what's going on, I just finished the class practice battle royale but I'm charmed as hell and having a great time so far.

edit-- oh I remember what I was going to ask. If I leave it on "Normal"/"Casual", will that hamstring me in any way? I've read that it's perfectly fine to play that way and then switch to "Hard"/"Classic" in New Game+

Good choice. It's Deh-DOO and he's your friend.

It was my first FE too and I found Normal a little too easy but not annoyingly so. I went Classic and it massively stressed me out. So for a chill experience you're good I think, have fun

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
I went Hard/Casual and it feels like a good balance of chill without being completely braindead easy, but this isn't my first FE so ymmv ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's no downside to Hard because you always have the option to bump it down.

The downside to Normal is that if you want a harder challenge, the only solution is to start the game over.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

casual feels redundant with the rewind system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It only feels redundant once you have a decent professor level/statue upgrades.