Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lobok posted:

Thor's spirit is inside the Destroyer armour and he's fighting against Hela in her Hel realm while Thor's body is back on Earth. I won't get into the full story of what's going on here but I just really like this for Thor matching Hela in cosmos-spanning, reality-tearing, faster-than-light energy beams.

Thor 382

Thor hitchhiked across Canada with no problem but he met his end in Pennsylvania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Push El Burrito posted:

Thor hitchhiked across Canada with no problem but he met his end in Pennsylvania.

Where is Pennsylvania in the 616 anyway? Looking at the Earth in the fifth panel, is it just below the second Florida poking out of the northeast?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Mighty Thor #343, from Simonson's run in the 80s. The dragon Fafnir is laying waste to New York, and Thor has recruited the last viking, Eilif, to help slay it. Eilif is ancient and tried to goad Thor into killing him when they met, so that he'd die in battle and have a chance at Valhalla; Thor gave him a blessing of strength and a chance to die in battle against Fafnir instead.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There's a massive fire and general devestation in a major population area. Nothing we can do here boys, let's go home.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
That's a job for Damage Control, obvs.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Push El Burrito posted:

Prescient story to this:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/08/03/hitchhiking-robot-destroyed-philadelphia-ending-cross-country-trek/31051589/

USA Today posted:

A hitchhiking robot that successfully traveled around Germany, Canada and the Netherlands was destroyed Saturday in Philadelphia, just a few weeks into its U.S. journey.

"Sometimes bad things happen to good robots," the Canadian research team that created "hitchBOT" said in a statement.

The team received an image of the destroyed robot Saturday, but do not know who vandalized it, the Associated Press reported. The robot's battery is dead and the team cannot locate it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That was the sick reference Lobok was referring to

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

xmen4

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Personally I feel like it would work better if Apocalypse didn't say anything in the last panel, but otherwise it's a neat page.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm not sure that's accurate about losing knowledge of how to mine lead. You mine it the same as other metals, but if the choice is digging it out of the ground or stripping it off of these ruins where people already did the work...

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Alacron posted:

Personally I feel like it would work better if Apocalypse didn't say anything in the last panel, but otherwise it's a neat page.

Darkseid wouldn't have felt the need to day it.

Darkseid is.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Bruceski posted:

I'm not sure that's accurate about losing knowledge of how to mine lead. You mine it the same as other metals, but if the choice is digging it out of the ground or stripping it off of these ruins where people already did the work...
Plus, the fall of Rome only really crippled technology in Europe. The Middle East, China, and India kept on smelting lead just fine.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bruceski posted:

He means we lost the knowledge of how to make it, so just had to harvest it from ruins

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Retro Futurist posted:

He means we lost the knowledge of how to make it, so just had to harvest it from ruins
That's Magneto, isn't it? Not the first time ol' Erik's been full of poo poo

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
lead's not magnetic, so he's bluffing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The jackass is wearing a white blazer while eating how can you not pick up that he's arrogant and probably full of poo poo?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He saves his real display of power for later:

wolfing down an entire steak while delivering their ultimatum.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I think I'm developing comic book specific face blindness, because I didn't realize the red sunglasses guy was Cyclops and spent several minutes thinking "Why's Apocalypse showing up in a Daredevil book?"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I ain't a fan of the floating in a gradient void background

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Also the meta knowledge that all these assholes have made equally bold claims in the past about how their mutant Utopia will thrive only to poo poo themselves and get thousands of mutants killed makes it impossible to take them seriously.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Everyone has a plan until someone goes on an insane power rampage.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

goatface posted:

Your avatar suggests otherwise

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Crowetron posted:

I think I'm developing comic book specific face blindness, because I didn't realize the red sunglasses guy was Cyclops and spent several minutes thinking "Why's Apocalypse showing up in a Daredevil book?"

I'm glad I wasn't the only one asking that question.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Guys it’s obviously Matt Murdock

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Everyone has a plan until someone goes on an insane power rampage.

Kinda makes Batman's plans seems silly now that you mention it.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I think that last panel when he says "me" apocalypse looks like he regrets it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
One thing I've always wondered when Cyclops is wearing red shades that aren't complete wrap around, something will often catch my eye that's outside the frame of my glasses and I'll focus on it for a second before realizing I can't see it for poo poo and I'll move my head so I'm looking through my glasses again.

When Scott does that does he accidentally blow it up?

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

His lack of punch beam control is just a psychological thing, isn't it? Maybe if he ever stopped to think about how poo poo his shades are compared to his visor he'd annihilate everything in his peripheral vision.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I always thought his eye beams just shot straight forward no matter where his eyeballs were spinning.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Push El Burrito posted:

I always thought his eye beams just shot straight forward no matter where his eyeballs were spinning.

It's varied quite a bit. Without his glasses it's sometime a beam from his eyeballs and sometimes everything in the front 170ish degrees in front of him is hosed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Skwirl posted:

and sometimes everything in the front 170ish degrees in front of him is hosed.

Sometimes you just need the sentinel off the lawn.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Skwirl posted:

One thing I've always wondered when Cyclops is wearing red shades that aren't complete wrap around, something will often catch my eye that's outside the frame of my glasses and I'll focus on it for a second before realizing I can't see it for poo poo and I'll move my head so I'm looking through my glasses again.

In the thumbnail I thought it was Matt Murdock and was wondering why he was helping Magneto.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

goatface posted:

Backgrounds are becoming as lost an art as brevity.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Wait, wouldn't his punch beams just......push the sunglasses off?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's a special type of red crystal that nullifies it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Skwirl posted:

IIRC some source - possibly the OHOTMU so grain of salt time - said that part of Cyclops' mutation is that he doesn't have the same kinds of involuntary eye movements that most people do.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Skwirl posted:

It's varied quite a bit. Without his glasses it's sometime a beam from his eyeballs and sometimes everything in the front 170ish degrees in front of him is hosed.

Sometimes he'd also lift his sunglasses and cheat at pool. Gotta love that early Claremont era where part of Cyclops' mutant power was being good at math. The least badass thing possible.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Kalli posted:

Sometimes he'd also lift his sunglasses and cheat at pool. Gotta love that early Claremont era where part of Cyclops' mutant power was being good at math. The least badass thing possible.

In all fairness, IIRC Cap also has some heightened intuitive understanding of physics/geometry/trig (shamefully I don't have a copy of OHOTMU to verify) that allows him to know exactly how to throw his shield to get the best ricochets and to have it return to where he will be. I don't remember if it was part of super soldier serum or he just practices so much he instinctually knows it (which is admittedly cooler than just having it as a power)

There's plenty of legit lame stuff we can pick on Cyclops about, but this power would be incredibly useful not only for trick shots with his mutation but also understanding the battlefield

Am I going to feel compelled to defend Gambit next? Better dial back my contrarinism.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Johnny Aztec posted:

This particularly kind of "ruby quartz crystal" just dumpsters his eyebeams entirely. Wasn't it said he lost control due to a brain injury as a child? (Havok didn't have this problem.)

It would still be good for him to wear the glasses even if the problem was resolved, both in terms of unifying style and in case someone took control of his brain and immediately tried to get him to shoot Gambit's dick off with his death beams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nessus posted:

This particularly kind of "ruby quartz crystal" just dumpsters his eyebeams entirely. Wasn't it said he lost control due to a brain injury as a child? (Havok didn't have this problem.)

Correct; he suffered it when he jumped out of an exploding airplane.