Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What word best describes your year?
This poll is closed.
Twee 4 1.28%
Goose 34 10.90%
Strand 22 7.05%
Bowsette 115 36.86%
poo poo 46 14.74%
Kirby 31 9.94%
Sonic 14 4.49%
I told you I don't like these polls 46 14.74%
Total: 312 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

When we say "rushed ending" do we mean even more rushed than Human Revolution?

The opening cutscene was pretty goofy (gruff older Military Man Father Figure, me, the guy who enjoys giving me poo poo, all having a briefing where we discuss the mission and also basic expository information), which I thought the game was going to lean into, but then it seemed like it was taking it totally seriously? Then the gameplay really rubbed me the wrong way. Energy seemed like a bit of a pain to manage especially with detective vision both quickly draining my energy bar and then the energy bar capping itself at a lower maximum when drained. The lowered cap was also the required amount to perform a takedown, so there were a couple times where I'd just have to stare awkwardly at an enemy while waiting for my energy to recharge enough to punch them in the face. The world seemed to be partitioned into two categories: things to be thrown and little credit cards. Then the end of the first mission was just a free-for-all gunfight, which took me by surprise because I had been doing the stealth route no kill thing.

Anyway I'm not trying to be combative about this game, it's fine to like it, it just wasn't what I expected. I did really enjoy HR so I was expecting to come in liking this game. I also only played 46 minutes and didn't finish the first mission so I could be totally off base.

All of these things are correct, however the first mission isn't really up to the quality of the rest of the game, and you can quickly upgrade your augs to fix the annoyances you mentioned. Once you get to Prague and can free roam about it turns into cyber thief simulator and is loving great! Would definitely recommend sticking with it if you enjoyed HR as it fixes a lot of that game's issues as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Bring back deus ex, square, you cowards

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Adam Jensen in Kingdom Hearts

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

bushisms.txt posted:

Whew jojo rabbit is so good, best war movie this decade?

Also, scarjos best role ever?

Jojo rabbit is my favorite joestar

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Scarjo Rabbit

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Adam Jensen in Smash

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Relax Or DIE posted:

So what kinds of changes have y'all gone through regarding taste/relations in video games this year (or even over the decade if you wanna get big?)

Within the last several years I finally realized that I actually innately dislike multiplayer games. Any kind of competitive element combined with test of skill turns me into a frothy-mouthed rear end in a top hat who hates everyone but especially myself. The trouble is that my brain readily gets addicted to mastering a game, so in that regard I find them fun, but every other part of the multiplayer experience - teammates, enemies, winning or losing graciously, etc. - all cause my brain to inevitably short circuit and bring about seriously negative vibes. And then I went one layer higher and started imagining that for all the times that some slick motherfucker owned me in TF2 or whatever and I lost my poo poo, how often I was that slick motherfucker causing that same kind of rage in somebody else, and that thought kinda permanently ruined the concept for me.

Relatedly, with Payday 2 more or less imploding I just sort of shook free of caring about team-based co-op stuff. I played through the Borderlands remaster with a friend and that was A+ good times, but I don't think I'll ever go back to full blown "hop into random lobbies with goons" experience. And while I was drifting away from it already, Blizzard had to go and be a poo poo so I went from taking a break from playing co-op vs. AI in Heroes of the Storm to dropping it entirely. The only other thing close to co-op I messed around with was Destiny 2, and I have to admit for an anti-social person like myself the ad-hoc co-op by way of zone events is a pretty good compromise. Too bad I had to crowbar myself away from Destiny 2 because I was definitely becoming addicted to that too.

An actual big shift in my tastes has been with Bethesda-style open world games. Aside from playing some hours into both FO3 and New Vegas and bouncing off for one reason or another, I didn't have a ton of experience with them. I also have always had a bit of a grudge against fantasy stuff for being so cookie-cutter and predictable. Then for reasons I don't entirely remember (it might have literally been "I want to be a big buff orc lady who clowns on fools with a big smashy hammer" now that I think about it) I decided I wanted to finally play Skyrim and that was what opened the door. That game absolutely absorbed me like very few other games ever have. That led to me jumping into Fallout 4 not long after, and I enjoyed that too up until burning out on it. The main takeaway wasn't even "fantasy is good actually" or "RPGs are fun, no, really!" it was that it cemented that I love trekking through the wilderness and filling out a map and exploring the "empty spaces" inbetween as much as I enjoy the hacky slashy action and roleplaying. Quiet moonlit nights in Skyrim have a power of their own.

In a similar vein I finally went back to see what all the fuss was about with Minecraft. I had eschewed it years and years ago because that was back when survival mode required you to have the wiki open at all times and the difficulty wasn't modular. Hopping into a game with a friend, just exploring and mining and getting into (mis)adventure had a similar feel to Skyrim albeit obviously more nebulous and self-directed. Setting sail across the ocean to explore the next nearest continent had a genuine feel of adventure even if the mechanical spoils weren't anything incredible. We didn't stick with it for very long, but it was still good times.

Lastly, roguelites. I wasn't a stranger to them, but I stumbled into the world of Binding of Isaac streamers this year and spent a silly amount of time watching them play. So then I decided to go for it and play the game for myself...and it turns out I'm pretty drat good at it. It's hard to tell if another one is going to click for me as thoroughly as Isaac did, but there's certainly no shortage of them in my backlog. (There could turn out to be some bleedover with shmups and/or bullet hell games too, a genre I've wanted to like but never quite got into outside of 1-2 specific games.)

Finally, while they're still mere plans rather than anything concrete, I've had a strong urge to take a fresh crack at Dark Souls and/or its ilk, particularly Sekiro. I've also had nebulous plans to get into streaming for most of the year with one source of content being exploring retro games since I didn't really get into non-PC games until Pokemon Red on Gameboy and Goldeneye on N64; never owned a NES or SNES and growing up my brother only cared about Sega. So for example, while I've absorbed plenty of it through osmosis, I do not know the true pleasures of Super Mario Bros. 3. This could also lead to me finally getting into JRPGs, since I plan on checking out Chrono Trigger at the bare minimum.

On a more personal level, this year is the year where I started to try and get on top of my mental illness and while it's still rough I've gotten a lot better about identifying how I'm feeling and what sort of games fit well with that mood and what games definitely do not. It sucks that I just can't deal with certain types of games on the reg, but at least it also means I don't go into games with the completely wrong mood and write them off because of it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Prop Wash posted:

When we say "rushed ending" do we mean even more rushed than Human Revolution?

The opening cutscene was pretty goofy (gruff older Military Man Father Figure, me, the guy who enjoys giving me poo poo, all having a briefing where we discuss the mission and also basic expository information), which I thought the game was going to lean into, but then it seemed like it was taking it totally seriously? Then the gameplay really rubbed me the wrong way. Energy seemed like a bit of a pain to manage especially with detective vision both quickly draining my energy bar and then the energy bar capping itself at a lower maximum when drained. The lowered cap was also the required amount to perform a takedown, so there were a couple times where I'd just have to stare awkwardly at an enemy while waiting for my energy to recharge enough to punch them in the face. The world seemed to be partitioned into two categories: things to be thrown and little credit cards. Then the end of the first mission was just a free-for-all gunfight, which took me by surprise because I had been doing the stealth route no kill thing.

Anyway I'm not trying to be combative about this game, it's fine to like it, it just wasn't what I expected. I did really enjoy HR so I was expecting to come in liking this game. I also only played 46 minutes and didn't finish the first mission so I could be totally off base.

When we say rushed ending we mean you beat a minor thug midboss, the games only boss, and you say a line that is "now to find the real villain" and literally at that moment the credits roll

Game is fun despite not really being much of a leap beyond the previous game and lacking all the different locations of a proper DE. Prague is a fun play ground for the 20 hours or so you are there. The mtx, garbage vr mission mode, and lack of any ending sour it imo to a bargain bin purchase tier game

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 29, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've been realizing more and more that the main problem modern games need to address is making it fun or engaging to move through the environment. A lot of open world fatigue is due to many open world games just not being fun in any way to travel.

Games like Horizon or Zelda keep it interesting by having the open world designed very meticulously, with little "levels" everywhere and gorgeous framing of the world. Unfortunately a lot of them just don't bother, as if it hasn't even occurred to them.

Games like Infamous and Spiderman do it best, where you're zipping around and legit enjoying the travel

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Death stranding is a joy to play moment to moment

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just faced an opponent in shadowverse whose name was the japanese for "C cups are the best"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

precision posted:

I've been realizing more and more that the main problem modern games need to address is making it fun or engaging to move through the environment. A lot of open world fatigue is due to many open world games just not being fun in any way to travel.

Games like Horizon or Zelda keep it interesting by having the open world designed very meticulously, with little "levels" everywhere and gorgeous framing of the world. Unfortunately a lot of them just don't bother, as if it hasn't even occurred to them.

Games like Infamous and Spiderman do it best, where you're zipping around and legit enjoying the travel

the main problem is that an open world seemed insanely cool when we were used to old games where we were limited by hardware and then we got to this point where its like look we can make actually arbirtrarily large environments and then it turned out that 90% of the time that sucks insanely badly compared to a well designed smaller world.

the best open world games are games where the open world is part of an actual sandbox. minecraft is good to be open world. no mans sky having actual planets to go look around at and build a base or whatever is cool. the best non-sandbox open world is the metroidvania semi open thing where its non-linear with some gating and the world is really carefully designed. dark souls 1s world or hollow knights world are both more interesting than literally any fully open world game has ever managed and we need to stop just making big open fields/cities/whatever cos it just feeds a design document which has the word "busy work" printed in giant font and nothing else on it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

like is buckwild that the "best" open world games are always the ones where you avoid actually being in an open world as much as possible and are given tools to just go straight to the actual content. i havnt played death stranding yet so dont AT ME about that

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

Whew jojo rabbit is so good, best war movie this decade?

Never heard of this movie, looked it up, saw it is by Taika Waititi, now I'm interested. What's good about it?

Zaphod42 posted:

Jojo rabbit is my favorite joestar

That's just Joseph.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Open level gameplay accomplishes way more than open world
Hitman ftw

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also we need like a 10 year moratorium on using towers in any form in any game im going to blow my nut im gonna flip my bean i swear

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i blew out my nut climbing all the ubisoft towers, i had to get a donor replacement

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

im here gaming, just having a ball, and i see a tower upon the horizon yonder and im just exclaiming "im gonna bust a dang nut if i gotta climb this sucker" im sick of it!!

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I liked how in Horizon the towers were dinosaurs

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

boreizon zero (zero already means bad) yawn

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

precision posted:

This variously bugs me in any given game, but it just destroys space games for me. Point your ship towards a waypoint, turn on thrusters, get up and make a sandwich. Ugh.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's pretty obvious that dmcv was made on a shoestring budget or something bc 90% of the levels are qliphot roots and the cutscenes are relatively restrained for a dmc game but holy poo poo this is probably the best feeling action game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Horizon would be way better if it wasnt mimicking bad dying franchise far cry more than good healthy franchise mon hun

^^^
Hell yeah
vvv

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Stux posted:

also we need like a 10 year moratorium on using towers in any form in any game im going to blow my nut im gonna flip my bean i swear

Yeah Breath of the Wild is pretty bad I agree

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Stux posted:

boreizon zero (zero already means bad) yawn

Wouldn't zero yawns be a good thing though

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah Breath of the Wild is pretty bad I agree

you could remove like 50% of botws map and merge a bunch of the shrines into the beasts and the game would be better

and remove every single combat shrine

Help Im Alive posted:

Wouldn't zero yawns be a good thing though

im trying to just be an honest poster out here making my living please dont troll me

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux, you are again, was right

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Breath of the Wild combat gets infinitely better when you find out you can parry any guardian attack with any shield.

Like, jesus was I bad at bad at that poo poo because I didn't think "wait, this lovely shield can reflect their lasers back at them???"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i like botw combat, i like the actual gameplay and the shrines and i really loved the beasts designs and the concept for the puzzles even though they were too short, and i liked the "cities" or whatever and the characters. i stan sidon. im marry sidon. listen. i like sidon.

i just dont care about big fields!!!!!!!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Stux posted:

i like botw combat, i like the actual gameplay and the shrines and i really loved the beasts designs and the concept for the puzzles even though they were too short, and i liked the "cities" or whatever and the characters. i stan sidon. im marry sidon. listen. i like sidon.

i just dont care about big fields!!!!!!!

It's environmental storytelling!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In Death Stranding you build the towers yourself, that makes them (legitimately, unironically) more meaningful

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The only games that Stux is allowed to play for all of 2020 are the various different versions of Ys 1.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Bring back deus ex, square, you cowards

I am okay with no more Deus Ex now that we are getting Cyberpunk 2077 very soon.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
so i'm not gonna tell you what to be hype for but cyberpunk 2077....

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

so i'm not gonna tell you what to be hype for but cyberpunk 2077....
there's at least one person with more points than you but they haven't consented so I'm gonna call it before the steam sale ends

do you want the prize, 1 (one) copy of the horny minesweeper game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Here's my theory: In a video game if the things you are doing and experiencing are enjoyable from moment to moment, then you will generally like everything you do in that setting and whether it's open world, has towers or no towers, is 10 or 50 or 100 hours or whatever are largely immaterial and useless as a design principle that should be broadly applied to any other game.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/Daxelfrax/status/1210739415007424515

Resetti warned you, bro! Resetti warned you!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i tallied all my games for the year and i didnt even play 10 games from 2019...

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

FirstAidKite posted:

Never heard of this movie, looked it up, saw it is by Taika Waititi, now I'm interested. What's good about it?

It's unsubtly about the rise of fascism in modern society but Taika's patented charm keeps it from being preachy. It shows the horrors of war, while framing it as the Nazis would, glorious and necessary, even as the regime is coming apart at the seams. Scarjo can't quite hold on to an accent, but has an amazing scene that had her doing more work than her entire MCU career combined.

But the heart of the film is the titular JoJo rabbit, a 10 year old self proclaimed swatztika fanatic versus his worst nightmare. I need to watch it again because there's a lot going on with the power of words, be it in daily speech, in propaganda or love letters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Doom - infobar
Dark Souls - boss
GTA - wasted!
Legend of Zelda - game over screen
Portal - target reticule
Super Mario - star/coin counter
Fallout - Pipboy