Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Kakigori or nothing you peasants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I feel like I’d have supermarket bread snacks every single day if I had the same quality of stuff available just as easily where I live.

Melon pan is far from the best food in the world but drat if I miss it sometimes.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I miss those 7/11 pancakes

the thing I miss most though is 100 yen for coffee from a machine literally anywhere

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Hey ya'll myself and my partner are heading to Tokyo in mid-january and we're thinking of going to Hakone for one night to hit the hot springs and see mount fuji.

Any recommandations for one of the hot springs, or other things that are fun to do? (i dont mind getting butt naked)

I've already seen that the Hakone Freepass is recommended to get around, so we'll most likely grab that

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

harperdc posted:

There are roads which can take you to more interesting places, and there are rice paddies to almost fall into while driving around. Some hot springs and one good festival.

Ok this is kind of reminding me of New Years Eve 1999/2000 when I tried to hitchhike from nagasaki to fukuoka with a friend and ended up speeding through the backstreets [back rice paddies]of saga with junior yakuza truck drivers on speed oh god i'm so old.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
“Junior yakuza truck drivers”

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

“Junior yakuza truck drivers”

Tbh I never worked out whether they were or weren't but they seemed very keen for us to think they were

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Like are we talking kei trucks or big old medium and heavy-duty trucks.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
So, my birthday is on Monday, and I haven't given it much thought until now, but I think I'd like to do something nice. I'll be in Kyōto for the next week for New Year's. Anyone have cool Kyōto-type-stuff suggestions for me? A good restaurant that I don't need to have already booked before now would be nice, something creative and local. Maybe I'll drink some quality tea somewhere and hit up a nice bath. I kind of just want to recreate my onsen experience but piecemeal in the city, I guess.

In that same vein, anyone know a good place for a legitimate massage in Kyōto as well? Or Tokyo for that matter — I'll be there after.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

harperdc posted:

Like are we talking kei trucks or big old medium and heavy-duty trucks.

Small but not particularly kei. I'm beginning to think I was bamboozled.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Anyone else notice that Sapporo beer seems to bring out the fishy flavor of fish more than other beers?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

slinkimalinki posted:

Tbh I never worked out whether they were or weren't but they seemed very keen for us to think they were

Like in what way. Did they say “I am part of naninani-gumi?” Or did they say “yeah I a cool yakuza just like your animes, outlander”

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Construction trucks are usually -gumi too, sounds like a nice time and fun memory for everyone ^___^

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

peanut posted:

Construction trucks are usually -gumi too, sounds like a nice time and fun memory for everyone ^___^

Tbh a lot more fun in retrospect than at the time, when it was more like "maybe I will die in a rice field in Shiga* from bad driving".

*Saga, not Shiga, though Shiga is the Saga of kansai.

slinkimalinki fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 29, 2019

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Actually all yakuza are hedge fund managers, haven't you even read Adelstein?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

You're all wrong... anyone of any ethnicity who has any tattoo of any size/design anywhere on their body is yakuza

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Stringent posted:

Actually all yakuza are hedge fund managers, haven't you even read Adelstein?

What's the story with Adelstein? I've seen a few different people dump on him but I don't know why he's terrible (though to be honest my memory of his book is mostly dominated by the awkwardness of him describing getting fingered during a handjob at a Soapland).

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

captkirk posted:

my memory of his book is mostly dominated by the awkwardness of him describing getting fingered during a handjob at a Soapland).

Welp, now I don't need to read the book.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Saga is p cool and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Soricidus posted:

loving tourists, always wanting to see the famous things they're interested in instead of finding joy in scrutinising the unique pattern of roof tiles in this little side street in bumfuck inaka that no other gaijin has ever seen

then again, remember this is literally me

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I like manhole covers

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

captkirk posted:

What's the story with Adelstein? I've seen a few different people dump on him but I don't know why he's terrible (though to be honest my memory of his book is mostly dominated by the awkwardness of him describing getting fingered during a handjob at a Soapland).

The stories he tells are mostly fakes, plain and simple. He did have a unique experience as a reporter assigned to a regular section of a newspaper rather than the English section, but he has laid down so much bullshit about it that you can't really believe anything he says. Which is too bad, because for a number of things he's probably the only easily accessible perspective for English speakers. He trades a lot on his supposed personal relationships with some Yaks, and cites them in many of his writings, but there's a decent chance any given yakuza he cites doesn't exist and he's almost certainly putting words in the mouths of the ones who are real people.

This thread (caution: reddit) has some good points but barely scratches the surface: https://www.reddit.com/r/japan/comments/3lnpt6/is_jake_adelstein_a_good_source_for_investigative/

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
i'm headed to Japan for 15 days or so for the first time, late October to mid-January so I can catch Halloween and apparently I only just realised I'd be there for my birthday too. Just doing Tokyo because I have anxiety about trying to catch the train system around the country, so the first half is staying at an AirBnB in Shinjuku and the second half is a APA in Akihabara.

I'm not even slightly Japanese obsessed, so my knowledge doesn't extend very far beyond my general exposure via mandatory Japanese language lessons for 5 years and numerous friends raving about how awesome it is to go there. I've already booked and paid all my flights and accommodation, so it's really just fitting in where/what to do while there. Basics are the Mario Kart tour, Golden Gei, pachinko parlours, samurai museum and some others, art galleries/installations and as many izayakas as I can manage and generally just wandering for as long as I can between meals/rests.

Is there any must-do things I haven't considered? I'm heavily into music (metal/punk-hardcore etc) and have been told Golden Gei and Hair of the Dog and MetalGodz should there are must-dos for me. Also if anyone can recommend tattoo friendly onsens or somewhere I can book a private bath, as I'm heavily tattooed and have no chance of hiding them all (I plan on dressing for the weather with lightweight long-sleeve shirts outside of a bath setting).

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

crowtribe posted:

i'm headed to Japan for 15 days or so for the first time, late October to mid-January
I've already booked and paid all my flights and accommodation

I'm not even slightly Japanese obsessed, so my knowledge doesn't extend very far beyond my general exposure via mandatory Japanese language lessons for 5 years

not sure that's irony posting or not

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

crowtribe posted:

Mario Kart tour

Don't do this.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

crowtribe posted:

i'm headed to Japan for 15 days or so for the first time, late October to mid-January so I can catch Halloween and apparently I only just realised I'd be there for my birthday too. Just doing Tokyo because I have anxiety about trying to catch the train system around the country, so the first half is staying at an AirBnB in Shinjuku and the second half is a APA in Akihabara.

I'm not even slightly Japanese obsessed, so my knowledge doesn't extend very far beyond my general exposure via mandatory Japanese language lessons for 5 years and numerous friends raving about how awesome it is to go there. I've already booked and paid all my flights and accommodation, so it's really just fitting in where/what to do while there. Basics are the Mario Kart tour, Golden Gei, pachinko parlours, samurai museum and some others, art galleries/installations and as many izayakas as I can manage and generally just wandering for as long as I can between meals/rests.

Is there any must-do things I haven't considered? I'm heavily into music (metal/punk-hardcore etc) and have been told Golden Gei and Hair of the Dog and MetalGodz should there are must-dos for me. Also if anyone can recommend tattoo friendly onsens or somewhere I can book a private bath, as I'm heavily tattooed and have no chance of hiding them all (I plan on dressing for the weather with lightweight long-sleeve shirts outside of a bath setting).

record your lived experiences on the trip and put them up as a 6 episode Netflix special, I will most likely say I'm going to binge it and then watch an episode and a half before deciding I don't care that much

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

Don't do this.

Agreed. If you really want to drive, get a rental and head to Hakone or head up into the mountains. The Mario Kart tour is a bit overplayed and has you in a small kart on public roads in the city center. You can see it all on foot, bike, or even from a taxi.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
Karting nixed it is. I've already booked flights and accommodation so there's not much chance of me rescheduling to visit more of the country now without taking a monetary blow at this stage.

Any input on the other items, however? Venues or specific places that would cater to me, or must sees in these areas that don't show up on a list of 101 THINGS TO DO IN XYZ?

With regards to the tattoos etc, I work in corporate IT so I can hide them easily enough in business wear and cold-weather casual wear, so not really an issue, but point stands that I'd prefer not to upset anyone if at all possible.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Tattoos in public don’t matter on a gaijin.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Is the Mario kart tour that bad? Like I realize it's a pretty touristy thing that tourists who are all LOL JAPAN may do. On the other hand, it seems like it would be drastically cooler than a Hato Bus tour or something. I mean I've been in Tokyo for 13 years now and never driven down the street in a goddamn go-kart. The Robot Restaurant is dumb as hell but at least the Mario kart tour is a fairly unique experience, as far as I can tell.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 29, 2019

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

[Edit] ^^^^^ I’d be a little worried about getting in the way of a bigger truck in one of those karts to be honest. Not sure how much the Kart rental packages are, but I’d put that towards a half-day Omoshiroi Rent-a-Car instead.

You’re a foreign tourist, it’s not that the rules don’t apply, it’s that the expectations are much lower.

Based out of Tokyo, even Osaka/Kyoto can be a day trip if you’re out early and take bullet trains. Nikko would require dedication (or bullet trains) too. Hakone is a good day trip (starting and winding up back at Shinjuku station), Kamakura is a fun one too. The teamLab installation on Odaiba is really cool and interactive in a fun way. Yokohama and its waterfront is cool as well. I like Yurakucho and the restaurants under the train line in Tokyo, there’s some decent local spots there.

Tokyo is similar to London or New York, you can plan a trip full for seven days and still leave enough unseen for two more trips. And that’s without exploring outside of the region.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 29, 2019

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I did the MariCar tour when I first went in 2018 and all I remember is stressing driving in busy traffic. I wouldn’t compare it at all to a sightseeing or bus tour because neither of those put me in the scenario of driving in an unfamiliar city on the “wrong” side of the road against my instincts, trying not to get plastered by the trucks and cars around me. Looking around at the sights wasn’t on my radar. I did get to look around at stop lights but .. intersections mostly look the same :P

Ran a late yellow/red light because our group leader wasn’t paying attention and I almost got separated. Can’t imagine why locals wouldn’t want this in their city.

Definitely wouldn’t recommend. Just spend your time walking around; you’ll take more in, I guarantee.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

This is October 2020 right ? Chill.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Doctor Zero posted:

Tattoos in public don’t matter on a gaijin.

Except for onsen or sento. They can still matter there. Which lead to me spending most of my time in onsen using my little hand towel to cover the small tattoo on my arm and walking around the elderly bath attendant lady with my dick flopping around while all the other dudes got to use their hand towel as a modesty towel.

Anyway: https://tattoo-friendly.jp/ can point you towards known tattoo friendly places.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

captkirk posted:

Anyway: https://tattoo-friendly.jp/ can point you towards known tattoo friendly places.

My ongoing midlife crisis thanks you profusely.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Just lol if you don’t flop your tackle everywhere in a bathhouse

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

Just lol if you don’t flop your tackle everywhere in a bathhouse

I just wasn't ready for nearly running into the little old kindly looking grandma who was doing the temperature checks in the pools and picking up left behind towels dick first.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Western Japan trip in Oct 2020 looking more likely. I’m gonna be spending the next year losing weight and cardio training, since I wanna be able to bike Shimanami.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
What should I do on January 1st in Tokyo to avoid getting in people's way but also still enjoying Japan (flight leaves at 5pm)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Every largeish shrine is going to be a festival with food stalls and people lined up to pray and buy lucky charms. Enjoy <3