Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Frankly ignoring a bunch of legendary men so he can build his junk boats is very funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesse James
Oct 11, 2009

IchiGO?
The panel of Roger laughing has now become my favorite panel in One Piece. "A man's dream will never die!" Was number one for forever, but seeing the man who traveled the world and learned all that he did to just sit back and laugh is absolutely amazing.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
why does this scan exist? i thought nothing was coming out until a week after the new year

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I think that's just more a "look at how old Brooke is" thing.

Like him calling Big Mom young lady or whatever.

I dunno since that bridge has been in construction for 700 years.

Link to wiki page.

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Tequila_Wolf

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Frankly ignoring a bunch of legendary men so he can build his junk boats is very funny

"That was ODEN?

ehh I was busy making Franky 6"

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I now find myself fascinated with who Joy Boy is and what he left behind to get Roger to want to party with him and declare the island Laugh Tale in honor of it.

e: Island naming scheme on point.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 28, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
He's called joy boy you better hope it's someone who wants to party

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
From what people are speculating; the reason for his laughter is because Roger realized he was too late to do what was required per Joy Boy's request. Likely because Poseidon was still 10 years away from being born and Roger couldn't possibly live that long. He was laughing because in spite of this vast journey full of strife and pain; he still couldn't accomplish his goals because he was born a little too soon. Hence the recurring theme of "Inherited Will" They need someone to take up the helm because they were at the right place at the wrong time.

Or maybe there was a really good joke inscribed on there. I don't know.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
That's loving retarded, literally the entire point of those with the Will of D is they don't act like that.

e: And it'd be what, I named it Laugh Tale after the futility of man?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Scratchman Apoo posted:

From what people are speculating; the reason for his laughter is because Roger realized he was too late to do what was required per Joy Boy's request. Likely because Poseidon was still 10 years away from being born and Roger couldn't possibly live that long. He was laughing because in spite of this vast journey full of strife and pain; he still couldn't accomplish his goals because he was born a little too soon. Hence the recurring theme of "Inherited Will" They need someone to take up the helm because they were at the right place at the wrong time.

That would make a kind of sense, I suppose. Like Iskander from Fate/Zero laughing to see how small his empire was. But the other Roger Pirates all laughed too, which suggests that you don't need a perfect "D" mentality to find it funny. Then again, laughter is contagious.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mulva posted:

That's loving retarded, literally the entire point of those with the Will of D is they don't act like that.

Is it? Ds tend to smile in the face of certain death, don't they?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mulva posted:

Laughing at a futile situation is both pretty D and normal for everyone. They just sailed to the end of the world, found out the dark secrets, and it turns out the solution is a girl who won't even be born for another 10 years or so when their Captain has months left. That's some grade A dark absurdist comedy. It's 22 years after Roger died and Shirahoshi just figured out how to sort of control her power.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Roger finally learned the true nature of the fourth superweapon, Ligma.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Is it? Ds tend to smile in the face of certain death, don't they?

"I don't have a girl that can talk to fish so I guess that's that" isn't the D response to situations. The D response to things would be more strapping rockets to the Island and crashing it into the World Government. Upon being told that was a stupid idea and they were about to die, THEN they'd smile.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mulva posted:

"I don't have a girl that can talk to fish so I guess that's that" isn't the D response to situations. The D response to things would be more strapping rockets to the Island and crashing it into the World Government. Upon being told that was a stupid idea and they were about to die, THEN they'd smile.

And yet Luffy told his crew to run away from Kuma, didn't fight Blackbeard over pies and juice, while also living in terror of his grandfather. He also recognizes that he has limits to things he can accomplish, which is why he has people to lie, cook, navigate, and sword swing for him. Are you saying he isn't a real D?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Gyges posted:

He also recognizes that he has limits to things he can accomplish

Which he then does something about. Rather than, I don't know, waiting for death immediately at the first sign of slight trouble which is sort of the gist of that stupid reddit idea.

e: Again, the central point of this entire stupid loving argument is that Roger doesn't have a girl that can talk to fish so he just sort of waits to die of plot cancer. That's moronic.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 28, 2019

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Mulva posted:

You seem like you're trying to go on a boring adventure.

We don't even have the barest outline of the actual story of Joy Boy and Laugh Tale, but we're told the weapon Poseidon was important enough that Roger couldn't do anything further. Perhaps Roger was laughing at the futility of his quest/being born at the wrong time.

And your response is to demand to know why Poseidon was important before you can emotionally engage with any of that? It's the premise here. Roll with it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Eiba posted:

but we're told the weapon Poseidon was important enough that Roger couldn't do anything further.

The weapon Poseidon is a girl that can talk to fish.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Why are you assuming that Roger's laugh is about the futility of his situation.

I'd like to believe that whatever he saw on Laugh Tale gave him hope that the next generation will be able to overthrow the WG. My guess its why he gave himself in, so he can announce it to everyone.

Also huge revelation here: One Piece isn't Roger's treasure. It's Joy Boy's.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Mulva posted:

If there was a weapon that could destroy the Red Line you'd call it a thing that can move dirt.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I'd like to believe that whatever he saw on Laugh Tale gave him hope that the next generation will be able to overthrow the WG. My guess its why he gave himself in, so he can announce it to everyone.

I'm not assuming it, but I like the idea.

Even if he is laughing at the futility of his own situation, you're right that he ends up having hope.

The way I see it is (possibly) that he's laughing because he's realizing he'll die before he sees the end of this story, but nevertheless plays his role. He needs someone else to finish it for him, so he puts out a call to the world to aim for this island to finish what he couldn't. And the only stage available to a pirate like him was the gallows.

It's a pretty good story that makes sense with what we know and adds a lot of emotional context. We now have a much better idea why Roger wanted to start the Age of Pirates, even if we don't know what it was he found compelling about Joy Boy's story.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Roger is laughing because Joy Boy tried to tell him the treasure was the friends he made along the way.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mulva posted:

You mean like those gigantic sea monsters that seem like they could basically lock down shipping completely in a world composed entirely of islands? Those fish?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mulva posted:

Which he then does something about. Rather than, I don't know, waiting for death immediately at the first sign of slight trouble which is sort of the gist of that stupid reddit idea.

e: Again, the central point of this entire stupid loving argument is that Roger doesn't have a girl that can talk to fish so he just sort of waits to die of plot cancer. That's moronic.

Roger's last voyage was his bucket list because he was dying of plot cancer. Reaching the very last island that no one else had reached for 800 years was his entire goal which he accomplished. Then when he got there he learned the secrets of the world and that the key is apparently a girl who won't be born for another decade or so, long after the plot cancer kills him because he'd already put in for his retirement to start tomorrow. Why should he suddenly go take care of Joy Boy's lifelong wish?

He did help a fun guy out though, he invented the position of Pirate King, ensured the world knew about the existence of the final island, and lit a fire under the rear end of the wildest dudes in the world by saying he left all his treasure there.

Also just lol at talking to fish being how you're downplaying her power like she's Super Friends Aquaman. Sea kings are one of the most powerful forces in the world, and she doesn't just talk to them, she controls them.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Mulva posted:

Actually agree with this.

He’s laughing because of the story and how fantastic it was. He even muses on how he wishes he had been alive during Joy Boy’s era.

Roger is not laughing at the futility of life, it doesn’t make any sense in the context of what he said or how he acts as a character. Goddamn what a misread of the whole scene

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
I got lost in the One Piece wiki after clicking on the one about Tequila Wolf

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Gol_D._Roger

9’0’’ tall, huh

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

some One piece dudes are just big for no gatdam reason

Whitebeard is 21 feet tall.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 29, 2019

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

My theory is that because giants exist and can breed with regular humans (somehow), there are just Bigness Genes floating around in humanity to greater and lesser extents.

So you get some people that are just like Really Tall because they're 1/16th giant or whatever.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Can Of Worms posted:

Thank you

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Begemot posted:

My theory is that because giants exist and can breed with regular humans (somehow), there are just Bigness Genes floating around in humanity to greater and lesser extents.

So you get some people that are just like Really Tall because they're 1/16th giant or whatever.

This.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Garp is 9'5. Dragon is 8'5. Luffy is 5'8. I think in One Piece you just never stop growing.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
poo poo, maybe it depends on where you live. Grow up in East Blue, which seems to be mostly small fries, and you won't get big. Travel the world and spend time in or grow up in rougher places, you get taller. Maybe they have more oxygen. maybe that is the secret to One Piece's weird rear end geography.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Can Of Worms posted:

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Not to be confused with the legendary pirate Bofa D. Eeznuts.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Also huge revelation here: One Piece isn't Roger's treasure. It's Joy Boy's.

I assumed that Roger left something of his own on Laugh Tale as well; otherwise his dying words seem rather strange. Maybe Joy Boy's treasure was just a Poneglyph that described the history of the Void Century in an amusing way, while Roger left the mysterious egg or something.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

The bridge with the snow.

Are you thinking of the giant from the Blackbeard Pirates?

Yes. :doh:

The giant is called San Juan Wolf. I was expecting him to peek out of the water or something. I forgot that bridge even had a name, so the giant was the first thing that came to mind.

Jose posted:

He's called joy boy you better hope it's someone who wants to party

Calling it now: One Piece is actually just a one-piece dinner set waiting 800 years for people to come throw a big party once they find Laugh Tale. Joy Boy was just apologetic he couldn't get the party preparations ready in time. That's why it's so funny.

Spoilers just in case for my dumb speculation.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 29, 2019

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Yes. :doh:

The giant is called San Juan Wolf. I was expecting him to peek out of the water or something. I forgot that bridge even had a name, so the giant was the first thing that came to mind.

Yeah I made that mistake at first too when I saw that post.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I really wish that was what happened, though

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Given the way the mists work there's a good chance anyone sailing around Water 7 might have come within metres of Brook and not realised it.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Roger is laughing because Joy Boy tried to tell him the treasure was the friends he made along the way.

I hate it when an author pulls this, it's such lazy writing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I legit completely forgot Joy Boy was a pre-existing character that was mentioned before

Also I feel like a lot of the confusion of this chapter is coming form lovely unclear scans it's almost like it could all be resolved if we just waited for Sunday