Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

He definitely said that he played bioshock with the sheikh so it must’ve been posted after that was released

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im guessing it was around 2012 cause yall who remember it are registered like 2011–13

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I don’t think I saw it when it was posted tho

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
The detail that sticks out most in my head was that when he was told to buy a nice suit for a fancy restaurant he bought a tuxedo.

Edit: Found it! Kind of. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772327&pagenumber=4#post458845834

Geocities Homepage King has a new favorite as of 03:46 on Dec 29, 2019

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Geocities Homepage King posted:

The detail that sticks out most in my head was that when he was told to buy a nice suit for a fancy restaurant he bought a tuxedo.

Devil's advocate: who doesn't want to own a tuxedo? I'd wear the poo poo out of a tuxedo to a fancy restaurant. I'd wear it to work. I'd wear it to Walmart, complete with a top-hat.

"DR. WHIRLIGIG VON STEAMHAMMER WISHES TO PURCHASE THESE NILLA WAFERS!" I would scream to the hapless cashier, visibly tired of my poo poo. "I AM HOSTING A FANCY PARTY ABOARD MY CLOCKWORK BRASS ZEPPELIN AND I AM TO CREATE THE WORLD'S FINEST AND MOST LUXURIOUS BANANA PUDDING!"

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Sounds bougie, eww

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ok so OP is HypeTelecon and thread was maybe called "How do I build an underwater city like in Bioshock?" and was definitely posted before Dec 8, 2012 cause it was quoted then:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3501091&pagenumber=67&perpage=40#post410347284

e: mention of Xbox 360 "elite" puts it at mid-2007 at the earliest

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 04:03 on Dec 29, 2019

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Sounds bougie, eww

I'll have you know Dr. Whirligig von Steamhammer is using his vast wealth to create self-driving steam locomotives to reduce horse traffic in densely populated areas, and that his factories employ child laborers who would otherwise have died on the street, likely under the thunderous hooves of mad horses.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

found it:

So if you got asked to plan to build Rapture...how would you do it? posted on Feb 12, 2008 by HypeTelecon:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2769640

watho
Aug 2, 2013

oh yes that’s the good stuff

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I’m going to go against the grain and say that an underwater city like Rapture would be loving awesome. The only change I’d make is that instead of a libertarian Utopia, it would be an undersea commune.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Chickencheese was great, not just because it seemed to bring everyone together but because there were so many good recipes

Any GWS thread can be magical. Let us not forget THE BEST CHILI YOU WILL EVER HAVE
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3406045

I finally got so tired of bad chili recipes that I ran Iron Chef Something Awful 67: CHILI.

Liquid Communism posted:

Hello, Goon Chefs.

It is that time once again. Time to take up your knives and vie for supremacy in the battlefield that is this, our virtual Kitchen Stadium.

As your Chairman, I have long pondered a dangerous question. What is chili? Are beans required, or verboten? Must there be meat? What spice is sublime? As the weather here turns cold, and the tailgating begins, this question demands an answer.

Today, we shall attempt to find this answer in the fires of culinary combat.

Your challenge, if you choose to accept it, is to make me a chili. Document your steps. Justify to your fellow chefs and your Chairman why yours is the One True Chili.

Your peers will judge you, and a winner will be crowned.

The Rules :

1. All may enter. This challenge stretches beyond the confines of Something Offal, and to all in the land. Bring those who have never competed, as opinions on chili are nigh universal, and they too will have much to argue.

2. You must justify why your chili is, in fact chili. A lack of effort will bring shame upon you.

3. The deadline for entry is the end of October. Once November begins, this battle is ended, and you shall face the judgement of your peers.

The Rewards :

The winner will receive a physical token of my esteem, shipped to them upon giving me a place to ship it, and a forum upgrade of their choice, but those are simply tokens. The true reward is forcing the competition to acknowledge that your chili is the true chili!

The losers will receive the burning shame of defeat.

We determined officially that Scientastic is the only one allowed to dictate what chili is.

You can find a list of the entries and the voting here.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I’m going to go against the grain and say that an underwater city like Rapture would be loving awesome. The only change I’d make is that instead of a libertarian Utopia, it would be an undersea commune.

Under the sea
Under the sea
Nobody beat us
Work us and cheat us
They're bourgeois
We're what the rich folk love to cook
Under the sea we off the hook
We got no class
We eat all the rear end
Under the sea (Under the sea)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Krankenstyle posted:

found it:

So if you got asked to plan to build Rapture...how would you do it? posted on Feb 12, 2008 by HypeTelecon:

Its so loving good. Theres stuff I forgot too like a WalMart employee being in absolute disbelief at someone purchasing an Xbox 360 AND a copy of BioShock

EDIT: Quoting for those without archives.

quote:

I’ve had a very interesting turn of events happen in my life recently, and I’m still in a state of shock (sort of). I just recently quit my job because I got into a spat with a co-worker and I decided that I wasn’t going to be able to work at the company anymore as long as he was there. He wasn’t going anywhere anytime soon, so I gave the ol’ 2-second notice, grabbed my poo poo, and walked out. Irrational? Oh yeah. So where does Bioshock, and a chance to plan an underwater city come into picture? Well, here is how it happened:

Where did I work? That will go unnamed (as well as some other things...loving internet detectives), but I will tell you it was a large oil and gas company. I was a systems administrator, and basically spent the entire day in a server room doing server maintenance, making sure the network was functioning correctly, and all the other good stuff sys-admins take care of. Sometimes I would get bored and walk around and bullshit with people. During one of my walks, I encountered a man of Middle Eastern decent. This is not uncommon at all when you work in the oil and gas industry.

For the sake of this, I’m going to call him Ahmed (not his real name). He looked extremely bored out of his mind, and a little anxious. I hadn’t seen him around before, so I introduced myself and we got to talking. He talked about his life in “The Kingdom” and I told him about mine here in the states. It was at this moment I found out he was an extremely wealthy oil baron, and more or less despised the religious overtones of his fellow Middle Eastern brethren. Turns out he was a capitalist at heart, and believed that Islam’s overzealous approach...to uh, everything, was a hindrance to business and was very annoying to him. Not your typical Middle Eastern man indeed.

I suddenly became worried because I had just spent the last hour conversing and going on with an extremely important client. And of course, not a minute later the room began to fill with executives. They were all eyeballing me, probably wondering what the hell the sys-admin was doing in the executive conference room with Ahmed. Turns out the plane with the executives Ahmed was supposed to meet with had been delayed and they had been breaking all kinds of traffic laws to get back to the office ASAP. They were extremely apologetic for keeping him waiting. He laughed and said he had thought about leaving except that I (pointing at me as I was trying to leave the room) had kept him entertained while he had been waiting. I did one of those fake “ha-ha” laughs and waved goodbye as I ran back to my server room to hide.

I expected to get a phone call later about how I almost hosed up some huge deal, yadda yadda yadda, but it never came. I gave a sigh of relief and went back to watching House on one screen while Wire Shark displayed some interesting stuff on the other. Then it happened, my desk phone rang. What could it be? The internet was up, the T1’s going to the VoIP phone system were all online, there were no disk faults on the SAN...why was I being called? It was coming from the Vice President of International Relations. Great. Here it comes. Here was me about to get bitched out. Boy was I going to be surprised with what was going to happen next.

Turns out I had inadvertently saved the day by talking to Ahmed. What had happened was [NAME REMOVED] had been put in charge of waking everyone up at the hotel so they could catch the early flight out back to Houston. [NAME REMOVED] had gotten drunk the night before, slept in, and caused everyone to miss the early A.M. flight. This meant that if everything went on schedule they would barely make it to the meeting with Ahmed taking the next flight...and it had been delayed. Ahmed didn’t like to wait, and would have probably had left it hadn’t been for me talking to him in the interim. So the conversation went something like this:

VP: “HypeTelecon, what are you doing tonight?”

Me: “Well, it’s Friday night, I’m probably going to go out with my frie-“

VP: “No you’re not. You’re going to go out with Ahmed.”

Me: “Uh, what? You want me to go hang out with a 30 somethings middle eastern man?”

VP: “Yeah, funny thing, turns out he has requested that you come out with him tonight instead of the client entertainer we normally use.”

Me: “So...what exactly would I be doing?”

VP: “More than likely you’ll take him out to eat at one of the 5 star restaurants, and then whatever else he wants to do.”

Me: “And what exactly would that be? I'm not sleeping with him.”

VP: “HAHA, no, not that. Well, to be honest, you will probably end up taking a limo to a lot of dance and strip clubs, getting drunk beyond all belief and generally having the time of your life. Probably get a lot of rear end too.”

Me: “I’m sorry...did I just hear that...from a 40 something year old executive...? I must be dreaming or someone put something in my lun-“

VP: “Yeah, you see, some of these guys that come over here to do business with us are not religious at all and love to party. We show them a good time, they sign deals with us. We tend to turn a blind eye to this sort of thing and use a client entertainer to handle all the knitty-gritties. This situation, however, is a little different. He has taking a liking to you for whatever reason, and wants to party with you. We have been trying to get this guy to sign FOR A LONG TIME and [NAME REMOVED] drat near hosed it up again. You’d be helping us out a lot by doing this. I realize I’m making some gross assumptions about you, but I figured you being in your early 20’s and all you’d jump at the chance for something like this.”

Me: “Who is going to be paying for all this fun and excitement?”

VP: “You’ll be given a company amex to take care of everything.”

Me: “SOLD.”

VP: “Excellent. Come by my office to get everything you’ll need. I'm going to call amex right now and add you as an authorized user of the corporate card. Oh yeah, you’ll probably be doing this all again Saturday night as well.”

Me: “Dear diary, jackpot.” *CLICK*

So I went to his office, and he gave me a “corporate amex”. I was instructed to go get fitted for a suit since he knew nothing I owned would be good enough. What a jerkface! But it was true; I wore a polo-shirt and jeans to work every day. I didn’t really need a nice suit. Since the company was footing the bill for this, I decided I’d go with the classic tux. It’s truly amazing how fast you can be tailored for one of these things when you say you’re buying the thing outright, heh. Just say, "Charge it!"

I called Mr. VP of International Relations and let him know I had the appropriate apparel for the evening. He said, “Good,” and then gave me directions to the hotel Ahmed was staying at. He told me he had already emailed the limo company I was to use to my phone, and to keep in mind the Middle Eastern do’s and dont's he had gone over with me in his office. And then of course the big thing, keep mentioning how thankful the company was for working with him and that I hoped that he signed come Monday. He also kept going on about how much of a stellar employee I was for doing this and that I could expect some surprises for myself come Monday if everything went well. Yawn. Whatever.

The drive downtown was a little annoying, but soon enough I made my way to the Inter-Continental Houston Hotel. If you haven’t seen it, it truly is a timeless sight. Before I went and located Ahmed, I booked myself a room for the weekend, and prepaid in full. If we did party again Saturday, I’ll be covered, if not, I’m staying anyways, heh. The cute blonde behind the counter must have thought something was up. Young 20’s something, wearing a tux, booking a room on the fly and paying the ridiculous rate all on a corporate amex...yeah I’d probably think that was fishy too.

I told her I was youngest executive at [COMPANY NAME REMOVED] and that I was here to entertain a client that was going to be signing a multi-million dollar contract on Monday. This just added to skepticism and she called a manager over. I'm sure the manager's bullshit alarm and fraud detector were going ape-poo poo. I placed my driver’s license on the counter and told them to call amex if they didn’t believe me. After verifying that I was an authorized user of the card, they suddenly became a 100 times nicer to me. Who would've thought? I also joked with the blonde about coming up to my room when she got off work. Cue face turning red and girly laughing. Sweet. I like this pretending to be an executive thing.

Anyways, after dropping the little stuff I had brought with me in my room, I found Ahmed’s room and knocked on the door. He opened the door and shouted, “HypeTelecon! So nice to see you again! We are going to have a great time tonight!” I asked where he wanted to eat, and to my shock, he responded with, “Take me to the best steak house here in the city of Houston.” Now, I’m no cultural expert by any means, but even I knew this was outlandish. I waited for the punch line of the joke, but he was 100% serious. Apparently he loves his steak, and can only eat it when he is here by himself in the states for obvious reasons.

So I called Ruth Chris (maybe not the best steak house in Houston, but it has to be drat close), explained that I was going to need a private party room and to pull out all the stops.
They were more than eager to accommodate me, especially when I asked if they took the corporate amex, heh. The limo showed up just a little before 7pm, and off we were to eat delicious steak. And I must say, the steak and wine were to die for. Ahmed was thoroughly impressed, and said it was by far the best steak he had ever eaten. At this point, I had to ask him why he wanted to hang out with me over the guy they had lined up. He replied, “You have been the first person here that treated me like an equal, you weren’t scared to talk to me even though my wealth extends beyond anything imaginable, and you aren’t always doubling-back your words if you say something I find displeasing. You treat me like a friend and that is extremely important to me.” Heh, wow, I didn’t know what to say, so I raised my wine glass and toasted to friendship and a fun rest of the night. He didn't have to know that if I had known all of those things I would've have said a word to him in the first place.

Now it was time to party. We went from dance club to dance club, and lived it up like no tomorrow. We danced with amazingly hot (but extremely shallow) girls, had all kinds of alcohol, and just had an awesome time in general. When you have no limits on the funds, the party doesn’t stop. I wanted to see the look on the accountant’s face come Monday when they checked the bill. After lots of dancing and drinking, it was time to hit up the strip clubs. We bounced around from Gold Cup, Centerfolds, Colorado Bar and Grill, The Men’s Club, and finally decided to end the night at Treasures. It was almost 1am at this point, but again, show a “corporate amex” and they literally bend over for you...get it, bend over?

So after watching some stage performances and having a few private lap dances, it was getting close to closing time. By this time, we had quite the number of ladies hanging around our table. Ahmed was essentially what you could call a “Middle Eastern Playboy.” He was one of those “hot foreigners” that all the ladies wanted to gently caress, and not one of the “ugly foreigners” that spend most of their time in strip clubs because those are the only girls they can get to touch them...in exchange for money.

With about 10 minutes to close, Ahmed just comes out with it and says, “Ok, which of you lovely ladies wants to come back to the hotel with me and my friend HypeTelecon here? We have a limo waiting for us outside, and we both have rooms as the Inter-Continental Houston Hotel.” I would imagine everything mentioned in that sentence, plus the roll of 100’s he took out of his pocket made everyone of those strippers dripping wet. I had no problem with this. They whispered amongst themselves, and said that they were all up for it. Ahmed had a thing for blondes, and picked the two hottest ones at the table. He looked at me and then said, “Now HypeTelecon, you pick your two, and I’ll see you back at the limo.” He then stood up, and the two blondes scampered into the back to get their things.

Suddenly all eyes were on me. I had an assortment of cash-starved strippers begging me to pick them. Now, I could’ve sworn the one stripper I dated briefly told me there was a huge difference between strippers and prostitutes, and that not all strippers were prostitutes. Yeah, I wasn’t seeing that at all right now. I picked the young looking Asian women with the perky tits, and the euro-trash red that had somehow managed to bend ways I didn’t think the human body could in her stage performance. The others whined in disgust as the two I picked trotted off to the dressing room to grab their things. Then all six of us headed outside to the limo.

As I made out with the Asian while the red massaged my junk, I could only think this is what is must be like to be Collin Ferrell every night. Money, such a grand thing to have a lot of. It must have been quite a sight to see two extremely drunk men both being escorted by two extremely hot strippers to their rooms. I wonder if the blonde I had flirted with earlier saw this spectacle? Oh well, like it mattered anyways. Ahmed then paid my whores, and we parted ways to go to our rooms. All I can say is that the next few hours were pure ecstasy. I could describe it all to you, but this isn't some fan fiction designed to get you horny. Or is it? Na, not really.

After all the fun and excitement had died down, I found myself resting between two naked strippers. They’re both sleeping soundly, probably dreaming of what they are going to both buy with tonight’s big score. I yawn, and then the phone rings. Who the gently caress would be calling my hotel room at 7 A.M. in the loving morning? Who the hell even knows this number?! Turns out it is Ahmed, he is bored and can’t sleep. I ask him how the hell he can be bored with two blondes lying naked in his bed. He tells me, “My dick is broke. I need something else to do while it recovers.” Then he asks me if there is some way we can play that video game I was going on about all night. Cue question mark over my head. Video game I was going on about? He says, “Yeah, you know, the one about the underwater city, and the crazy genetics. Bio-something or another?”

If there was ever a moment in my life when I felt like the biggest nerd ever, it would definitely be now. Apparently at one of the strip clubs, I had been going on about Bioshock to Ahmed and the strippers at our table. Ahmed had decided he wanted to see what all the fuss was about and wanted me to play it with him. I told him we would have to go somewhere and buy an Xbox360, and the game itself. He said he doesn’t care, and to meet him downstairs ASAP. So, I tell my lovely ladies me and Ahmed are going to run an errand. They say, “Ok, whatever,” stretch, yawn, and snuggle up with each other, boobs to boobs. loving HOT. So resisting the urge to dive between them and repeat what I was doing only hours earlier, I put my tux back on, and take the elevator downstairs.

I meet Ahmed in the lobby. He is still wearing the same thing he wore the night before too. A couple of real class acts right here folks. So we then pile in my car, and I try to think of a place where I can buy an xbox360 and the game Bioshock at 7:45 AM in the loving morning. GameStop is out, as those communists apparently don’t open until 9:00 AM or some poo poo. He gets upset, as again, he doesn’t like waiting, but then I tell him we could get it 100% for sure at Wal-Mart at this hour. He agrees, so I begin driving to the closet Wal-Mart in the area. Thank god for Garmin GPS.

Now, this had to be the sight of all sights. You have an American man wearing a full tux and the other a Middle Eastern man sporting a Brioni suit, both walking in Wal-Mart half-drunk and half-asleep. We head back to the electronics section (everyone eyeballing us as we walk by) and find the game consoles. I tell the sales lackey with the key that I am going to need an elite xbox360, and the game Bioshock. The guy looks at me in disbelief as he gets the items I have requested and brings them to the electronics checkout counter. Ahmed insists on paying, and pays for everything in cash. Yikes! Doesn’t he know it’s a bad idea to carry thousands of dollars around on your person? Apparently not.

So with game and game console in-towe, we return to the hotel. We head up to Ahmed’s room, and I set everything up. Luckily the TVs in the rooms had front inputs, otherwise I bet I would’ve found myself going back to Wal-Mart to buy a plasma or something. I put in the game and start it up. I try and hand him the controller, but he says he wants to watch me play. So I play Bioshock. He watches in awe for sometime, and then begins to ask me questions about why I like this game so much. I tell him I like the concept of a city underwater, away from everything else, were people can thrive without government influence (yes folks, I’m a libertarian). He seems intrigued by the concept as well.

I pause the game, and we get into a huge discussion about what we would do if we could create such a place in real life. I don’t know how long we had been going on about all this, but at some point the two blonde strippers woke up, and started laughing at us. We both look at them with a “What?!” look on our faces, they laugh harder and call us a bunch of nerds. Then Ahmed dives on top of them and says, “I’ll show you nerd.” I take that as cue to exit stage left and return to my room. I like the guy, but no way in hell I’m having a 4some with him. I return to my room with the sleeping wenches. They are still snuggled together, except now they are spooning each other. So I do what any normal man would, strip down to nothing and jump in bed with them.

Now, I could go on about what I did the rest of the day, or the encore party me and Ahmed had Saturday night, but that’s not really important. What is important is that I had planted the idea of creating something where Ahmed could do business as he pleased without having to deal with “religion police” and stupid archaic laws (as he called him) that were stifling his fund-making abilities. Couldn’t be hurting TOO BAD, but whatever.

Monday comes, and I stroll in at 8:00 AM and I’m immediately called into the executive conference room. I see Mr. VP of International Relations, sweating bullets while standing at the podium, and just about every other VP I had ever met was sitting around the conference table. He asked, “So, HypeTelecon, is he going to sign the contract?” I froze, and must have turned white as a ghost. I had totally forgotten to talk up the contact-signing. So I did what any other person in my position would do and said, “Oh yeah, it’s a done deal. He is going to come in here and let the ink fly!” and then I gave a huge thumbs up and a huge wink. This was followed by murmuring amongst themselves and then dead silence when Ahmed walked in.

The CEO stood up, shook his hand, and then asked, “So have you come to a decision?” Ahmed replied, “Yes, I have. I am impressed with your company, the terms are more than fair, and the hospitality HypeTelecon has showed me was excellent. I have decided to sign the contract and do business with all of you.” And the executives rejoiced! My heart started beating again, and my skin pigment returned. Mr. VP of International Relations winked at me, and I winked back at him. It was totally a gay moment. Ahmed went through the contract and signed this, dotted that, all while both sets of lawyers scrutinized every line item to make sure no last-minute tom-foolery had taken place. As for me, I went back to my server room. Today was Venture Brothers marathon day, and of course, more Wire Shark.

Then, about half way through “20 Years to Midnight” I got a call from Mr. VP of International Relations again. Turns out Ahmed would be flying out later that day and he wanted to say goodbye. I met him and Ahmed at the front of the building. He gave me a firm handshake and said, “I had a great time this weekend. I’ve told [NAME REMOVED] here to make sure they inform you of when I come back to visit so we can go out again. Which, apparently is going to be a lot more frequent now.” I told him I’d be honored to keep him company anytime he was in town. I shook his hand again, and he got into the cab to take him off to the airport.

Mr. VP of International Relations looked at me and said, “Wow, you made quite an impression on him. What exactly did you guys do this weekend?” I started to tell him of our adventures in debauchery, but he cut me off saying if I went any further he’d probably end up coming out with us next time and end up cheating on his wife, and that he couldn’t afford to do that since he had a daughter and some other yadda yadda yadda, whatever. Then he told me I had to report to accounting to go over every line item on the corporate amex I had used during the weekend. Oh goody. Let me tell you, confirming all of those charges while Jesus freak of a CPA read them all off to me was very pleasant. I kept waiting for her to bust out the holy water and crucifix and start beating me to death. But, I guess this was nothing out of the ordinary, nor the fact that I had rang up over $10,000 bucks in charges. No, nothing to see here, just move along and don’t stare.

So about once a month, Ahmed would fly in for the week to yammer over figures, find out what in god’s name his money was being spent on, and then of course we would party like crazy on the weekends. Mr. VP of International Relations took great care in keeping a tight lid on who knew it was actually me “entertaining” Ahmed while he was in town. God, that just sounds dirty, doesn’t it? But eventually a rumor broke out...I think it was after that one time we decided to party on Sunday night too and I showed up to work hammered, but it’s anyone’s guess really. The top level executives didn’t seem to give a flying gently caress about what was going on behind their backs as long as Ahmed kept sending those generous EFTs to their corporate bank account.

Now we get to the good part. I wasn’t really being paid what I was worth at this job. Sure, having a server room to yourself is nice and all, and partying with a cool foreigner once a month is badass, but the lack of decent pay does kinda outweigh both of those. And on top of that, a lot of people I had to deal with were either luddites that just didn’t get this new-fangled “technology” thing, or just plain assholes. I decided to just quit and find something better. Some would say a smart man would’ve quit after he had another job lined up...some would say I’m not a very smart man.

However, it turns out Ahmed found out I quit, and was very upset over this. He called me when he found out and wanted to know why. I told him my grievances and he agreed it was a lovely deal. He asked me if he should cancel his contract with the company. I laughed and said no, because then he wouldn’t be coming in town that much anymore and I wouldn’t get to see him when he did. I told him I’d still love to party with him when he was visiting, but unfortunately I wouldn’t have a corporate amex to foot our usually 5 figure bill. He said that wouldn’t be a problem, we’d party just the same and he’d send the bill directly to them. Wow. Party buddies four lyfe yo!

Then we got to talking about the whole Bioshock thing again. He asked me if I had secured another job yet. I told him no. He said, “Great! I want you to plan the underwater city. Every detail. I am looking for something new to invest in, and every time we meet, I can’t stop thinking that this could be the next big thing. Dubai has their underwater hotel, I want an underwater CTIY!” I asked him if he was joking, and he reassured me I wasn’t. I said I would get right on it.

Now goons, how in the hell do you even begin planning something like this? Are their companies that build poo poo underwater? I have no idea. How...I...duno. I could possibly have the chance at being a real Andrew Ryan here, but I have no loving clue how to plan this. Hell, I don’t even know the location I would pick out! Is there a “Dummies guide to building cities underwater” somewhere? Ahmed comes back into town on Feb 25th, which means I really have until the 29th (oh poo poo, just realized it was a leap year) to come up with something. If all else fails, I guess I could go to work for his international company, but building an underwater city seems way cooler.

Anyone have any ideas? I’m totally open to suggestions!

BIG FLUFFY DOG has a new favorite as of 04:36 on Dec 29, 2019

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Krankenstyle posted:

found it:

YES! This was it! This was a DIFFERENT goon than the Forgotten Employee who was paid to do nothing, which is much older and was posted above on this page. Thanks so much for finding both of those! I've not had any luck finding the sex worker gloat guy other than the thread title being something like "Anyone ever had a true spiritual experience?"

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The best steak house in Houston??? Like probably Ruth's Chris or something, I don't know. Houston Strip clubs? Sit the gently caress down baby that's encyclopedic.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’ll play bioshock every other year or so and I still enjoy it

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

watho posted:

I remember that, didn’t he claim part of his job was to schmooze with a middle eastern oil baron and went to crazy parties and strip clubs or something?

Jared Kushner is a goon???

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Bioshock is best re-played with infinite health and eve.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Liquid Communism posted:

I finally got so tired of bad chili recipes that I ran Iron Chef Something Awful 67: CHILI.

We determined officially that Scientastic is the only one allowed to dictate what chili is.

You can find a list of the entries and the voting here.

In absolute awe of Scientastic's effort. Want to try all of their stuff for myself.

For those who didn't click through, Scientastic's winning entry:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837693

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Screaming Idiot posted:

Under the sea
Under the sea
Nobody beat us
Work us and cheat us
They're bourgeois
We're what the rich folk love to cook
Under the sea we off the hook
We got no class
We eat all the rear end

Up on the land, the rich are kings.
Down in the deep, we own the means!
You've got to love it,
all property's public,
under the sea!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ariong posted:

Up on the land, the rich are kings.
Down in the deep, we own the means!
You've got to love it,
all property's public,
under the sea!

:perfect:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Its so loving good. Theres stuff I forgot too like a WalMart employee being in absolute disbelief at someone purchasing an Xbox 360 AND a copy of BioShock

I mean it's obviously stdh.txt but did anyone call him on it or stuff like the the steak thing? Only for him to furiously google and back pedal with a "yeah but how many steakhouses buy meat from a halal butcher?" or was this back when more goons were libertarians and just went along with every dumb fanfic?

although some saudi failson throwing money at some random computer toucher to build him bioshock irl is actually pretty believable considering all the other dumb 'investments' the oil barons and their families have wasted money on like like a real jurassic park and fake moon they've sunk money into, firing every designer who tells them it's not possible

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Coolness Averted posted:

I mean it's obviously stdh.txt but did anyone call him on it or stuff like the the steak thing? Only for him to furiously google and back pedal with a "yeah but how many steakhouses buy meat from a halal butcher?" or was this back when more goons were libertarians and just went along with every dumb fanfic?

although some saudi failson throwing money at some random computer toucher to build him bioshock irl is actually pretty believable considering all the other dumb 'investments' the oil barons and their families have wasted money on like like a real jurassic park and fake moon they've sunk money into, firing every designer who tells them it's not possible

I don't think a single person in that thread believed OP tbh, a couple people point out the beef issue and some others point out the tux, this was the OP's response:

HypeTelecon posted:

I think that sketch went over my head.

Anyways, why are you people dissin' the tux so much? If you had a chance to have ANY suit purchased for you...you're saying you WOULDN'T get a full-on tux? I thought I looked drat skippy in it! Yeah, I could've gone for a snappy Armani ensemble, but would've only paled in comparison to Ahmed's Brioni suit...and I seriously doubt things would've gone over well with accounting if I had charged a suit that can be worth as much as $25,000 after tailoring!

I also just realized I've confused Islam and Hinduism. This explains a lot, and Ahmed is probably REALLY confused why I kept asking him about eating delicious food coming from a cow. Wow, he is going to laugh REALLY hard when I tell him this...I'm really embarrassed now. Me and my drat assumptions, heh.

Thanks for the comments and ideas! Does anyone happen to know of a construction firm that might be close to what I'm looking for? I figured if I could start with a company that carries materials that won't decay underwater, they might be able to send me in the right direction.

As for money on this project, I don't think it's going to be an issue. Ahmed has very deep pockets, and has a lot of friends with even deeper pockets, who in turn probably have friends with deep pockets as well. God, I wish *I* had deep pockets, but I can barely get a sizable piece of my arm in one of mine.
Edit: They were reacting to this sketch, I had to track down a working link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdNG6ZYGuD8
Double edit: Its mostly people trying to engage with the how would you build rapture prompt or saying some "fun story" equivalent.

Hub Cat has a new favorite as of 06:55 on Dec 29, 2019

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
brb gonna cuddele with a twink i love

i love him so much

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

This also happened to me, but with an Indian playboy named Dinesh.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Heath posted:

This... Whatever you'd call it, era? Of le epic online posting was the pits

The "more words = better" style of profanity-laced hyperbole was the loving pits and SA created so much of it.

quote:

Now, I don't know how many of you dogs of the scurviest sea read comics, but I do a big pile of comics. One thing that blows my mind is how completely insane the powers in the DC universe are. Look at Superman. This guy has more powers than French restaurants have ways to say "your taste in wine is atrocious". He has powers to do with every part of his body and then some. He forgets powers sometimes. He can shoot heat rays out of his eyes, frost breath from his mouth and red son radiation from his rear end. He's that sort of crazy dude. All because he absorbs solar radiation.

Look at Batman. His power? The anti-power. Sure, he should be some tame, kung fu master of not much, but instead he's the hottest poo poo to ever poo poo on a plate. You got a power? He'll find your weakness and give you seizures or heart attacks. He'll light you on fire when you're sleeping or make you recharge your green lantern ring in the power outlet. Ten thousand volts of gently caress you batman. That's Batman.

But the loving Flash, my god, my loving GOD, this man has the greatest powers of all. If Superman's powers are being sucked off by twin super models and batman coming home to discover your wife is not only bisexual but has two friends she wants you to 'get in on' then the Flash is an orgy with a thousand women who also want to pay your World of Warcraft billing. And click the mouse for you. This man is just that loving hot. They have to power him down in the comics half the time just to keep him from doing everyone else's job.

Ok first off, he can travel at light speed. Mother gently caress! Not only does he travel at light speed, but time slows down for him. So he feels like he's having a casual jog or reading the paper, meanwhile, his feet are moving so fast you can hear him coming from Montana while he's already gotten to Arizona. That's loving fast. But wait! The ability to move at Light Speed just isn't loving enough!

I know! Christ this guy can punch you so many times in a second you've been hit five times in the cock and two times everywhere else. You think you're about to fight the Flash and then it hits you, for the last split second he's beaned your beanbags with more blows than you had sperm. But no, there's more!

The Flash can also vibrate through walls. Now last I heard, you can not move so fast you can vibrate through walls, so what actually happens is the Flash is so fast he can pick and choose the movement of his individual molecules and move them through other solid objects, phasing through solid matter like it ain't no thing. I mean you think a guy who runs at light speed would run into poo poo but no, the Flash just goes right through them. To top that with a cherry and some whipped cream (which the Flash made in like a millisecond, fucker) he can selectively choose to cause objects to be "okay" afterwards or loving EXPLODE. That's right. He can run through you and make you blow up by transferring kinetic energy into you. Like Jesus. It's bad enough you can't hit this guy, but he doesn't even have to punch you. Now your testicles have exploded and you're thinking you're about to hit him. Jesus? Just give it up. He's the loving Flash.

Now imagine that somehow there's someone who can get around the Flash blowing your balls up secret ninja technique. Ok. He can also control the flow of energy between objects. This power makes no sense but basically he can throw a rock at you, and you think it's going slow and then he's like WHOOHOOO WIZARDLY FLASH POWERS and bam it's going at light speed. So he can throw seven million rocks at you in a second then make them all goes different speeds thus striking your nads with seven million rocks one after the other.

But wait! There's more! He can also take energy from the very power of speed and make clothes out of it. Yes. Flash makes his pants out of GOES FAST. The man is so fast he can make Flash pants that GOES FAST go right into. I don't even start to understand the physics of that but basically SPEED == REALLY TIGHT UNDERWEAR AND COOL LIGHTNING THINGIES OVER THE EAR. You would think this is the end of it but ok let's say Flash is fighting Superman and poo poo he's going to lose and gently caress how is Superman THIS loving strong? I don't know he must be Superman fused with Batman into some sort of guy with tons of plans on how to punch you far harder than anyone else ok to end it off the Flash can GO BACK OR FORWARD IN TIME ON COMMAND.

How do you beat this dude? You're thinking you're hashing him good, laying down the beat-down, missing your balls and suddenly BAM YOUR MOM FELL DOWN THE STAIRS TWENTY YEARS AGO and there's a dent in your forehead and Superman not thunk so gud no more. Actually she didn't fall down the stairs the Flash put speed into them so they fell up her! gently caress you Flash!

Oh, and lastly his greatest power is he isn't fast in bed. He takes it slow and gets all the ladies with his superpowers then actually satisfies them in the sack. Who the Hell is this guy? You'd think he could AT LEAST be a premature ejaculator since his penis is moving at light speed but NOOOO he's even good in bed.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why Wolverine sucks cock and should go die in a freak grease fire.

quote:

The Thing is the best loving movie ever made. Take every other movie in the world and shove it up your rear end. They are so far below The Thing that it's not even really possible to compare any other movie to The Thing, because you can't conceptualise the difference in quality like you can't conceptualise a googolplex.

Let's talk about why The Thing is good. Better yet, I'll talk, and you can just agree and maybe repeat what I said to another person later. The first thing The Thing got right was the same thing Twelve Angry Men got right. That is to say that there are no bitches in the movie at all. I'll bet that when the script for The Thing got run by a movie exec, he was like "This is good and all, but where's the sex appeal? Put in a chick like the non-butch one from Alien." And I imagine that John Carpenter would have told him that it wasn't a movie where at the end of the movie the hero and the heroine kiss before blowing up the monster and escaping in the nick of time, not a movie like that at all, not a movie for homos. It was a movie for men who wanted to watch men deal with problems suited to other men, like what to do when an alien is loving your day up. Then he cast a bunch of the most watchable men he could find in the movie. These men variously do things like play chess, drink scotch and smoke weed all the day. Even the men who barely appear in the movie at all are manly as all hell because they're Norwegians. They were probably walking around their Antarctic base in T-shirts and cargo shorts before they got hosed up by The Thing.

The second thing The Thing got right was that it is set in the Antarctic and there is nobody coming or going from that base, ever, especially no bitches. To give you an idea of how isolated they are, Kurt Russell could not get away from that base in a helicopter. That's not some kind of Chuck Norris joke, that's a literal plot point in the movie. In the movie Kurt Russell can't get away from the base in a helicopter. You can imagine that if Kurt Russell can't do it, neither can anybody else. So they're completely cut off from any help ever. You'll notice that this is a theme among the best movies ever. For example, the two other best movies ever made which are not The Thing are Battle Royale and Cube. Notice a pattern? A few people, a completely hosed up situation, let's see what they loving do for the next couple of hours. Goddamn give me some of those nachos, quit hogging the nachos I'm trying to watch the movie.

The third thing The Thing got right is that it's loving hilarious. Like, gut-bustingly funny. I don't mean that in a goth-faggots-laughing-at-death sense, but in the sense that the deaths in this movie are hysterical to anyone with a brain. Like when the doctor is defibrillating Norris and Norris' chest opens up and eats his hands, and you're just staring at the screen in open-mouthed disbelief that something that awesome just happened and then you laugh, because man, that doctor was NOT expecting that poo poo. And then Norris' loving head sprouts legs and wanders off. This is advanced loving humour here, you understand. And then later, when Palmer reveals he's a Thing and suddenly everyone realises that it was a really stupid idea to do Thing tests while everyone was tied to everyone else. Ahaha. Now everyone is yelling and trying to get away because like dumbasses they agreed to be tied to a Thing. Holy poo poo look at Windows, it's loving eating him.

The fourth best thing about The Thing is that loving noose just swinging behind Blair when he's talking to Mac through the peephole asking to come back down because he's alright now, because people just don't think about it when they first watch the movie. Blair was thinking about killing himself? Man that's pretty dark, what a great movie. Nobody thinks "oh poo poo, why doesn't Blair want to kill himself any more?" People are pretty dumb like that and it was awesome that they put that in just for clever people.

Number 5. Everybody dies in The Thing. I don't care what that lovely ending cutscene in the videogame said, MacReady and Childs froze to death after they blew up that base. Probably Childs was a Thing, but if he wasn't that's OK. The moral of the story is that if you put six to ten men in a room and one of them is an alien, they will eventually kill each other and sacrifice themselves for the good of the world, and they'll do that in the freezing cold drinking whisky.

Number six. "You gotta be loving kidding". Never has an idea been better put across. Norris' head just loving scuttled out the door and Shakespeare himself could not have put it any better.

Shakespeare posted:
PALMERO
Alas, poor Norris! I knew him, MacReady.
Is this Norris's loving head I see before me?
It has took legs, and is making like yon tree.
Thou hast got to be loving jesting.

It's the freakiest looking loving thing you've ever seen, but they don't even get scared, they just stare at it, dumbfounded. This is the bullshit hand Fate has dealt them. And they are dealing with it like loving men.

If you think The Thing is not the best movie ever made, gently caress you. You are not fit to live on the planet where The Thing is available on DVD and I think Blu-Ray although I actually have it on HD-DVD because it was cheap and I had the drive. You probably think that a good movie is something like... well, I don't know. I can't think down to your level, because I've watched and given sufficient appreciation to The Thing.
Anyway, that is why The Thing is the best movie ever. Now go on, gently caress off.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Those two posts could have been made on tumblr, today. I'm glad we don't post like that any more

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

bell jar posted:

Those two posts could have been made on tumblr, today. I'm glad we don't post like that any more

Tumblr has many failings but at least writing over a thousand words about how The Thing is the best movie ever made because it doesn't have any women in it probably wouldn't get as much praise and fawning adoration there as it did when Leovinus posted it in Cinema Discusso.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

Tumblr has many failings but at least writing over a thousand words about how The Thing is the best movie ever made because it doesn't have any women in it probably wouldn't get as much praise and fawning adoration there as it did when Leovinus posted it in Cinema Discusso.

the gently caress

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dabir posted:

so what do we actually know about the specifics of radium's terrible code? I love looking at that poo poo
i moonlight in awful php code for a hand-rolled corporate cms and every time the topic comes up i just want a dump of the forums code so i can trawl through it for ideas.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I remember thinking the Flash one was really funny at the time. It's grating to read now, but that could be as much due to overexposure to that kind of baroque jerk-off writing style.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Heath posted:

I remember thinking the Flash one was really funny at the time. It's grating to read now, but that could be as much due to overexposure to that kind of baroque jerk-off writing style.

You misspelled broke.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Xarbala posted:

the gently caress

Leovinus made an incredibly homophobic and misogynistic LP of Final Fantasy VIII, are you honestly that surprised?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

cant believe that person isn't familiar with everyone's lets play history

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I actually expected guy Mann to identify with leovinus since they are both miseryposting made flesh

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
That review of The Thing doesn't have the reasons entirely right, but it is correct that The Thing is the best movie.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Sleeveless posted:

The "more words = better" style of profanity-laced hyperbole was the loving pits and SA created so much of it.

gently caress this

OTC
Oct 20, 2012

Heath posted:

I was actually a fan of this style of post (and stil enjoy some of them today), but that was back when bonus points were awarded for spelling, punctuation, and paragraph breaks. I was more likely to dismiss problematic sentences such as "That is to say that there are no bitches in the movie at all" as part of the overall style of the thing, a sacrifice to get a greater overall point across. Is not the full paragraph, and indeed entire post, making a greater point about masculinity? Being in CineD probably made recognising it as problematic more difficult, the specific content or context of a post there used to be far less important than whether the movie can be shown to be directly influenced by Carl Marx or just has parallels to Marxism.

I'd like to believe I am older and wiser now, and can recognise that no, you don't need to phrase it that way or use derogatory terms to get any sort of point across. It was not written that way in an attempt for any sort of grander imagery - the post is mysogynistic and the author should be recognised as such.

Also I am currently reading through the GBS cursed images thread. A poster has been banned for transphobia and there are gifs of the cats movie. Have I caught up to the end of the thread? No, it's July :stare: Prophets are only recognised in hindsight I guess.

OTC has a new favorite as of 12:20 on Dec 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

There are some truly cursed things coming your way then.