Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well holky gently caress, I never even tried slide-to-type or realized it was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

TraderStav posted:

The root issue is the swipe keyboard is turned on and you're not swiping. Then it's saving your mistyped as correct words to autocorrect to. I'm not a fan of the Apple swipe so I disabled it and installed GBoard for times I want to swipe. When I want precision I go to the stock.

Ooh, super smart catch. Nice.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
But I have slide to type turned on and I forget it’s on like 99% of the time and I can still type P.O. Box correctly, like it did just now.

Do you have a source for that because you’re speaking kinda authoritatively about that or is it just your guess?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 11, 2019

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
And I've had it turned off since it became a feature. I'm just the cursed P.o. box dude.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Boris Galerkin posted:

But I have slide to type turned on and I forget it’s on like 99% of the time and I can still type P.O. Box correctly, like it did just now.

Do you have a source for that because you’re speaking kinda authoritatively about that or is it just your guess?

Somewhere in the middle. Through my experience and observation.

So if slide to type is turned on, the keyboard expects you to slide and so if you're not perfectly precise it'll spill over and do a slide to type. It's possible to type "the old way" but I found it to be too much harder.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I posted about this a few weeks back, but the problem persists.

Outlook definitely refreshes and gets new email in the background, even though the app is closed and background refresh is turned off in settings. I know this because I don't want to watch the new email number creep up in my spare time so I close the app as soon as humanly possible every day.

What in the hell is going on? Am I missing something obvious somewhere?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Xabi posted:

Outlook definitely refreshes and gets new email in the background, even though the app is closed and background refresh is turned off in settings. I know this because I don't want to watch the new email number creep up in my spare time so I close the app as soon as humanly possible every day.

Doesn't "solve" your problem but I have the Badge Icon turned off for the Outlook app. This lets me ignore it when i'm out of work.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Trying to find an Apple Watch sleep app that will let me make a REST based call when it detects sleep.

Basically I want to shut off my office lights and sleep the computers if I go to bed and forget.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Xabi posted:

Are the messages actually getting downloaded, or is just the badge incrementing? Those are two different things.

If it's just the number of unread emails, badge numbers can be sent and updated via push notification, and Outlook's servers know how many unread messages you have. iOS can update the badge number when the notification comes in without launching the app.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

hey girl you up posted:

Are the messages actually getting downloaded, or is just the badge incrementing? Those are two different things.

If it's just the number of unread emails, badge numbers can be sent and updated via push notification, and Outlook's servers know how many unread messages you have. iOS can update the badge number when the notification comes in without launching the app.
To be honest, I hadn’t even thought about that possibility. It looks like it’s only the badge icon that increases, because the emails don’t seem to get downloaded until I open the app. That’s what it looks like to me anyway.

I need to turn off the badge icon asap then, because that number is freaking me out man.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Had a quick question which I can't seem to find an answer to on google.

I have a LOT of ebooks, and I have an ipad mini. I'd like to copy them all over to the mini, but I'm not seeing a "books" option in itunes. I tried copying some over via the files section and hoping the kindle app would index em, but no luck on that.

Is there a way to get the ipad to let me access my own files, or at least a way to dump the books on there via itunes and use another app? It's got 128gb but if you can't add files to it, it seems kinda dumb.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Marvin is the best ebook app. It can download files from Dropbox, Calibre, or iTunes drag-and-drop.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Had a quick question which I can't seem to find an answer to on google.

I have a LOT of ebooks, and I have an ipad mini. I'd like to copy them all over to the mini, but I'm not seeing a "books" option in itunes. I tried copying some over via the files section and hoping the kindle app would index em, but no luck on that.

Is there a way to get the ipad to let me access my own files, or at least a way to dump the books on there via itunes and use another app? It's got 128gb but if you can't add files to it, it seems kinda dumb.

The best way I've found to add your own books to the native Books app is to add them to it on a mac and have them icloud sync over to the ipad. :rolleyes: If I open documents from the filesystem (icloud or smb) on the ipad they don't seem to stick around in the app's library

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I don't have a Mac. I just want to dump a shitload of epubs or mobi files on it, and can't find an easy way to do that.

For a company that's all about ease of use and all that jazz, locking me out of my own device's folders is kinda hosed up.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I don't have a Mac. I just want to dump a shitload of epubs or mobi files on it, and can't find an easy way to do that.

For a company that's all about ease of use and all that jazz, locking me out of my own device's folders is kinda hosed up.

withak posted:

Marvin is the best ebook app. It can download files from Dropbox, Calibre, or iTunes drag-and-drop.

Read.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Store them on Google Drive, share them to Kindle app when you want to read. Just tried it and it works fantastic.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
This works for me.

Open iTunes.
Connect iPad via cable
Click the iPad icon near the top left
Click the Books entry in the “on my device” part of the left tree
Drag the files you want to transfer into the big window on the right.

E: for epubs. No idea about mobi

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 25, 2019

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Use Calibre to convert random stuff to ePub.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Yep. Calibre is one of the best applications ever created. It is the end-all-be-all for eBook management.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
RoboKiller has been sucking battery these past few days and frankly just sucking at blocking unwanted calls. What’s the current spam call blocking hotness?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

RoboKiller has been sucking battery these past few days and frankly just sucking at blocking unwanted calls. What’s the current spam call blocking hotness?

Settings -> Phone -> "Silence Unknown Callers" turned on.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I stumbled across this by accident, but Civilization 6 on iOS is giving away IAP for the holidays:

https://www.pockettactics.com/articles/free-civilization-6-dlc-ios/

About half of the deals are already gone, but there are still 3 IAP's they're giving away until the end of the year.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Weather Underground has removed its widget. It was great to get a snapshot of the next 24 hours. It showed a graph of the forecast temps and chance of precipitation. Weather Nerd has one that is sort of similar, but not quite. Anyone know of another alternative?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CygnusTM posted:

Weather Underground has removed its widget. It was great to get a snapshot of the next 24 hours. It showed a graph of the forecast temps and chance of precipitation. Weather Nerd has one that is sort of similar, but not quite. Anyone know of another alternative?
Hello Weather does this to an extent, though I think it's only the next 8 or 10 hours or something like that.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I just finished switching over from android to my first ever iPhone. Which keyboard do most people use? I tried Gboard but it was inconsistent in terms of when it actually appeared.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Montalvo posted:

I just finished switching over from android to my first ever iPhone. Which keyboard do most people use? I tried Gboard but it was inconsistent in terms of when it actually appeared.

I think 99% of people use the stock keyboard.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Turn off swiping on the default keyboard (it's not good) and if you must have it install Gboard. I like using it for quick short one handed typing but stock keyboard for lengthy messages.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I use SwiftKey. It's good.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
The default one does seem pretty great but I really miss the number row and being able to long press for punctuation. Now I’m trying to figure out if switching to Safari is also a good idea, since Firefox on iOS doesn’t seem to support addons, and my personal computer is a MacBook already...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Here’s a tip: instead of tapping on “123” and then tapping on the number or punctuation mark, just tap on “123” and slide your finger to the number/punctuation and let go.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo! Thanks.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

I have no issues with swiping on the stock keyboard. In fact, I think it does predictions far better than Gboard.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

CygnusTM posted:

I like Crisp Weather Widget and widget weather.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I use the widget from Atmos:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/atmos-weather-for-your-iphone-and-watch/id949017360

You can tap it to toggle between week view and hour view.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Alec Eiffel posted:

I use SwiftKey. It's good.

I've been using SwiftKey forever; IME it works a lot better than Gboard. But now that iOS has built-in swiping I'm considering just swapping to that unless it's missing some features SwiftKey has...

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

CygnusTM posted:

I have no issues with swiping on the stock keyboard. In fact, I think it does predictions far better than Gboard.

My issue isn’t with the swiping, but the non-swiping creates a ton of errors I found since it’s anticipating a swipe.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, that bit me just recently. It’s all been good ever since I turned off swiping and it stopped making me say things like “o Bibb aa the”

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

my main gripe with the stock keyboard rn is that it suddenly stopped referencing my Swear Contact and I have to manually type out profanities again :argh:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Does anyone here use VLC? I want to bookmark a location to a SMB path, but I don't think it can do that, which seems weird. It takes a bunch of steps to get to //server/videos/movies, for example. Maybe I'm missing something though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I had a bunch of problems with SMB on the VLC iOS app. Infuse has worked great so far.