Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Zaphod42 posted:

That's how Dirt 1 always worked and it was fine??

Yeah, I didn't play Dirt 1 in VR. Did not have that context. Still bad design.

Zaphod42 posted:

Ah yeah for sure, sorry I misinterpreted. It always throws me off when I'm first starting a stage and for a couple seconds it still renders your car on the virtual monitor and then it flips to you being in the car in full VR.

But its comfortable for navigating menus, and they don't have the budget to develop a completely VR specific menu system. (Besides most VR games just give you a laser pointer and a screen for menus anyhow)

My complaint is that it rendered so small as to make a lot of the small text (like what button it is asking you to press) unreadable. Maybe there was something horribly messed up at the time. It was right after the VR launch. It was really just not a good experience. You don't need to rebuild your whole UI for VR, but you've got people with like a minimum of 1024x1024 displays, why are you rendering the UI in a small box inside that FOV when you can render in a box larger than the FOV?

And yes, AC is not any better, except I am not doing just a 7 minute stage in AC and the menus are legible on my actual monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah standalone receivers, the built in one in your car is a different story
In some vehicles the antenna connector is simple to get to, making it easy to disconnect for a few months (as long as that doesn't cause the infotainment system to flip it's poo poo, which I'm sure some would).

On my Fiesta for example the control module is mounted right to the back of the display. I pop the shroud off (four standard panel clips, easy with normal panel tools) and four more screws gets me to it. I didn't bother to do it when my new vehicle trial was expiring though because I just don't listen to satellite radio anymore thanks to podcasts and Google Play All Access

Cojawfee posted:

I'm seeing how it goes in my car. I cancelled a while ago and I've left it on the aux cord ever since. I don't know if the receiver still listens for the satellite when it's not being used, so I guess I'll see sometime next year.
Yeah, if it's powered on and hooked to the antenna it's receiving the control channel. I have no doubt that your receiver has been deactivated.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
That fanatec setup is pretty nearly the same as what I have. I really like it. You may wanna pick up the clubsport shifter as well, especially if you're doing series with H-patterns

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

That fanatec setup is pretty nearly the same as what I have. I really like it. You may wanna pick up the clubsport shifter as well, especially if you're doing series with H-patterns

The clubsport shifter is super super super fancy and nice, but unless you're really into the idea of racing with an H-shifter, I'd put all that money into your wheelbase or pedals. You can get by just fine with paddle shifters and then get the fancy shifter like a year down the line or something.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Zaphod42 posted:

The clubsport shifter is super super super fancy and nice, but unless you're really into the idea of racing with an H-shifter, I'd put all that money into your wheelbase or pedals. You can get by just fine with paddle shifters and then get the fancy shifter like a year down the line or something.

Thanks for the feedback! When I used to race I had an H-shifter and felt more like it was another thing to setup than valuable at the time. I think I’ll be content with the paddles at first.

Zaphod, is the difference between the CSL Elite Wheel Base V1.1 and the ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5 significant? That is the area I was most on the fence about, and after reading some Inside Sim Racing reviews felt that the Elite would do. Definitely open to thoughts though.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Just put it in the pedals, wheel doesnt matter

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Finally got around to trying rally 2.0 in VR, it seems fine to me. Had the settings on high and it didn't make me sweaty and nauseous!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Those of you with shifters, either the th8a or the CSL shifter, do you find yourself using them over the flappy paddles? Do you find it adds to the experience?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Banzai 3 posted:

Thanks for the feedback! When I used to race I had an H-shifter and felt more like it was another thing to setup than valuable at the time. I think I’ll be content with the paddles at first.

Zaphod, is the difference between the CSL Elite Wheel Base V1.1 and the ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5 significant? That is the area I was most on the fence about, and after reading some Inside Sim Racing reviews felt that the Elite would do. Definitely open to thoughts though.

This is super late, but I never owned a CSL so I can't say personally. I had a Porsche V2 and then went to a ClubSport 2.5, and it did feel like an upgrade, but I wouldn't say as significant as going from thrustmaster to fanatec in the first place. The CSL will probably do you pretty drat good.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Those of you with shifters, either the th8a or the CSL shifter, do you find yourself using them over the flappy paddles? Do you find it adds to the experience?

Yeah absolutely. Depends upon the car though. If I'm doing rally racing, I'm 100% using h-shifter. In iRacing though I'm more often using sequential shifting or paddles.

It adds a ton to the experience of manual shifting, but with cars that have a DCT then there's no point.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 28, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I usually just use whatever the specific car has. Also, I find that using an actual shifter delays my shifting enough so I don't blow the engine. I would get too shift happy in the skip and kept blowing the engine near the end of races. Switching to a sequential shifter stopped that from happening.

alr
May 14, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I use the H-pattern on my G27 for everything except cars that have paddles IRL. I don't usually race stuff other than Dirt Rally mid tier cars and below, and stuff like the Japanese car DLC in Assetto Corsa though. If I bought a new wheel, I'd absolutely budget for a proper H-pattern as well because it's just way more fun for me personally with the stuff I like to muck around in. I'm sure I could grab a few tenths with paddles but it's not as fun

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
H-pattern is a blast. I especially love it in the Lancia Stratos in Dirt Rally, and the Miata in iRacing. It probably slows me down some, but I suck anyway and I'd rather do the more fun thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lancia Stratos is so much fun to drive in rally

I really want to drive one IRL now but I probably won't ever even see one

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I have a clubsport sq 1.5, and I use H-patterns for anything that uses it in real life. Same with the sequential mode. Older GT cars, V8 supercars, skippies, rallycross cars, I use the sequential sick for.

I find it's much easier to time a throttle lift or blip with a stick, over a paddle.

I also switch wheel rims between a round rim and a GT/formula rim, depending on the car.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So pcars2, is there anyway to move the HUD back a bit? In VR it's way too close to me I can't really see anything..

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
What's more fun with a gamepad, AC or PCars2?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Psycho Society posted:

What's more fun with a gamepad, AC or PCars2?

Pcars2 is slightly better with a controller but really both games are designed with a wheel in mind and are going to be pretty un-fun with a controller.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Absolutely. If the car had a sequential shifter in real life, I use it, and it's ton of fun. Same with h-shifter, though I don't race them so often in sims. Imo, it simply adds to the experience because you have to let go with one hand of the wheel and actually shift.

Either going down a straight and ripping on the sequential or going into a hairpin and pushing it couple times while keeping the car on the road with the other hand feels totally awesome, imo.

I find myself letting go of the rim and reaching to the side even when I have flappy paddles in anticipation of the next turn, only to remember I currently have flappy paddles.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Project Cars is perfectly fine with a controller imo. AC was a bit of a shitshow to get one working comfortably as of like a year or two ago but maybe that changed after their console port

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I just switched my th8a to sequential ... I almost put it on the left side last session maybe the next one.. :my immersion:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I'm actually trying to get better with a wheel in pCars2 right now. My times with a controller in the Formula Ford knockoff on Watkins Glen full are currently 7s better than with a wheel.

I also need to get a stand for the wheel, my desk is worryingly wobbly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Your wobbly desk is probably part of it, but remember you’re going from all finger muscle memory to hand, finger, arm, leg, foot and toe muscle memory. You use all of them with a wheel and pedal setup.

It takes a while. It was weeks before my laptimes got back to controller levels. Even switching to a different wheel slows you down

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Let me just say gently caress karts I will always suck at them. And the fact I can't retire from a series makes me sad.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Even switching to a different wheel slows you down

This is totally true, I'm still not *quite* as used to the Fanatec after a year of using various T300s, but I'm starting to adjust. I still don't feel like I quite have the FFB dialed in for Gran Turismo Sport but it's starting to feel good in iRacing and PCars2.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I have two packages from GTOmega for the ART cockpit I ordered. They shipped on the same day but one got held up somehow. One arrived today and the other isn't scheduled to arrive until Wednesday. I am taking bets as to what is in today's package. I ordered cockpit + seat, shifter mount, and mat. I am thinking it's shifter mount and mat.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

One of the most annoying things about racing Sims is that they often don't have a "how should this car be set up with aids"

Like I would love to set car setting to allow abs/tc/sc per series.

Like in pcars2 I did a race with a Supra and couldn't keep it straight like even in 4th gear... I'm assuming the series has tc/sc in those cars....

Is there some kind of pcars2 chart that shoe what aids should be set for each car?

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

tater_salad posted:

Is there some kind of pcars2 chart that shoe what aids should be set for each car?

There's actually an "authentic assists" setting in pcars2 that only gives you whatever driver aids the cars have in real life.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cool I'll dig through the menus to find it.

I usually put on abs because I suck at driving..

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think Assetto Corsa has that assists setting as well.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Extremely stupid question: how do you change a flat in Rally 2, in VR? I mashed all the buttons and nada.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

It's an immersive flat. You've got roomscale for your VR, right? Retrieve the spare, then walk to the punctured tire...

I always had difficulty with flat repair. I feel like it was a button you needed to hold down for a second or two rather than just press.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's an assignable button, check what you have it set to in the options. Also that you're actually carrying a spare tire in pre-stage setup.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Goddamn, the Dirt Rally 2.0 DLC is expensive. For someone that already has season 1+2, what DLC is worth getting? The season 3+4 DLC seems steep at $30, especially since I really have no interest in rally cross.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I somehow lucked out and the packages that arrived today had the cockpit chassis, shifter mount accessory, and seat. So, I guess on Wednesday I will get a box that just has a mat in it. I ran out of screws, though. I need something to hold the pedals down.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Mr. Powers posted:

I somehow lucked out and the packages that arrived today had the cockpit chassis, shifter mount accessory, and seat. So, I guess on Wednesday I will get a box that just has a mat in it. I ran out of screws, though. I need something to hold the pedals down.

Normally doesn’t come with bolts for the pedals. In the wheel manual it will say what bolts you’ll need.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO

KillHour posted:

Goddamn, the Dirt Rally 2.0 DLC is expensive. For someone that already has season 1+2, what DLC is worth getting? The season 3+4 DLC seems steep at $30, especially since I really have no interest in rally cross.

Season 3 has Finland and Greece which are great in 2.0. Season 4 is all rallycross so safe to skip if that's not your thing.

I will say though I used to also not have no interest in rallycross, but after doing a couple dailies and trying out all the rallycross tracks, it's been actually a lot of fun. I also find it improves my standard rally driving too.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

jabro posted:

Normally doesn’t come with bolts for the pedals. In the wheel manual it will say what bolts you’ll need.

Yeah, I was going to use some nice M8x40 bolts through the two outer pedals, but it turns out I'd need M8x50! Anyway, I found another pair of bolt holes at the base. Quite secure.

Today the mat and a second shifter mount arrived. The shifter mount has me confused, since one came in the cockpit kit, which I guess I didn't think it did.

Got the USB hub and power strip mounted and all the wires run. I need to adjust the wheel down a bit, probably shorten the chassis, and tilt the pedals up. this was based off about 90 minutes of driving the HPD poorly.

Definitely a huge upgrade from my office chair, a pillow, and the wooden contraption I built.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Did they ever add direct oculus support (not through steam vr) to the steam version of Dirt Rally 2.0 or is buying from the oculus store the only way to get that still? I haven’t had a headset for a few months but I’ve been missing it and will probably get another Rift S pretty soon.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

When I start the game, I start it from Steam, and then there's a selection box to pick (IIRC) standard PC mode, Steam VR, or Oculus VR mode. I always launch from Oculus mode.

If that's what you're talking about, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I found that rallycross is actually pretty fun now that I have a wheel. It was uncontrollable with a controller.