Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Elyv posted:

the base stats on this are aggressive enough that I don't think you necessarily need more than like 10 satyrs in your Gruul aggro deck to play like 2; after all, Zhur-Taa Goblin sees standard play so if you can reasonably expect this to buff 1-2 other dudes then it's already at least comparable if not better

There are 0 standard legal satyrs right now. I agree that it doesn't take a lot, but it does take some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I don't think we can say that's good until we see more constructed playable satyrs. It's a 2/2 haste with conditional CA, reminiscent of Robber of the Rich, but with an extra color and legendary.

2/2 Haste for 2 is a playable card in standard aggro if unexciting. The draw effect is a very good side benefit, and if this card lost the Satyr Lord ability and wasn't Legendary I could see just jamming four of these and four Zhur-Taa Goblins in Gruul aggro and being very happy with the two-drop slot. As is I'd jam one of these, maybe three if there's a Satyr you'd already want a playset of. If there's a 3/3 for 3 Satyr with some non-haste abilities that make it great, then this into that would be quite the beating.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

That's fair, I'm assuming that we'll end up with enough independently playable satyrs and that's not a guarantee.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Jabor posted:

To some extent you can compare it to xur-ta goblin - compare the choice of being a 3/3, vs. card advantage when you attack with 3 creatures.

It basically draws two extra cards a turn also, since in your low-curve hand-vomit deck you're going to mostly end up discarding extra lands.

It's ok if you're on the play but looks infinitely worse when it doesn't beat anything that comes down by turn 2 in most decks except Goose and it needs friends to get it's trigger when it's simply not going to survive combat. Chucking a card at random is also incredibly sketch because the main way this thing doesn't become a joke turned sideways is holding something with open mana and there's a 1 in X chance you pitch your trick to it's effect. I don't know what Gruul would cut to add this thing and unless Satyrs are suddenly a real tribe (when nothing in the previous Theros block for either Satrys or the actual pushed Theros tribe Minotaurs makes me think that's gonna happen) I don't see this thing seeing play, at least until Light Up The Stage rotates with no real current replacement for it.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Reprint Firedrinker, cowards!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

there is already a conditional 2/2 haste for 2 in standard that gives you conditional card advantage and Robber of the Rich sees 0 play

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mr. Locke posted:

It's ok if you're on the play but looks infinitely worse when it doesn't beat anything that comes down by turn 2 in most decks except Goose and it needs friends to get it's trigger when it's simply not going to survive combat. Chucking a card at random is also incredibly sketch because the main way this thing doesn't become a joke turned sideways is holding something with open mana and there's a 1 in X chance you pitch your trick to it's effect. I don't know what Gruul would cut to add this thing and unless Satyrs are suddenly a real tribe (when nothing in the previous Theros block for either Satrys or the actual pushed Theros tribe Minotaurs makes me think that's gonna happen) I don't see this thing seeing play, at least until Light Up The Stage rotates with no real current replacement for it.

If you have one other satyr in play when you play this, it's similar to a zhur-taa goblin with both modes chosen. if you're able to play one afterwards it's a lot more damage than that. Obviously it's not a slam dunk but I really don't think it would take a whole lot and I'm mostly treating that last line as flavor text

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Drawing cards from your own deck is significantly better than drawing cards from your opponent's deck that you may not get a chance to cast before Robber dies. I can see playing a one-of this with no synergy, although realistically Satyrs are mostly aggro flavoured and they'll probably push at least one for constructed.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I do think the draw effect is better than Robber's by a good margin. The question is how often you get to trigger it with a reasonably profitable attack, and how bad is the G in the cost.

Hellsau posted:

The draw effect is a very good side benefit, and if this card lost the Satyr Lord ability and wasn't Legendary I could see just jamming four of these and four Zhur-Taa Goblins in Gruul aggro and being very happy with the two-drop slot.

Kind of a moot point, but I'm skeptical RG has the lands to support 8 cards that cost RG as it's 2-drops, even if they get a temple.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's nearly there - 9 Forest, 9 Mountain, 4 Stomping Ground gives you 13 sources of each colour in a 22 land deck, which makes it work. The problem is you struggle to build a manabase to both do that and hit double-coloured costs, which is something you really want to do.

I guess if literally everything you want to play is RG up until, like, 5 drops, then you could make it work though.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 29, 2019

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Giving voyaging satyr haste in pioneer with nykthos is a very small but nonzero niche

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
The satyrs printed so far are p terrible as a whole. They gotta make some good ones this set I guess

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Firedrinker, Boon, Wayfinder, and Voyaging have all seen a good amount of play.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Guild Kit talk:

I picked up the first 5 guild kits for pretty much close to 20bux each, but the Ravnica Allegiance ones seemed to have a smaller print run or some poo poo. I guess I missed the boato n them, as half of them are like 40-50+ now and all of those sweet guild themed sleeves by Ultra Pro are long gone too.

Oh well I guess. I'll stick to CK's Battle Decks for somewhat balanced / non-collectible board game style play I guesssss.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I try and buy a booster or two when I play at my lgs to support them. Pulled an alt art murderous rider this week. One of the few where I prefer the regular art.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

ilmucche posted:

I try and buy a booster or two when I play at my lgs to support them. Pulled an alt art murderous rider this week. One of the few where I prefer the regular art.
Sounds like it's in high enough demand you could get multiple regular ones for it, or the store'd likely trade you 1:1 for one?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

AlternateNu posted:

It was 8 points of uncounterable damage...in the land slot!

It was way more than 8, even. You played 9-10 deserts, all of which you could sac to it, and four of those pinged for 1 damage when they came into play. I've dealt more than 10 damage through lands several times in that Standard season.

Shout out to Sunscorched Desert killing a Chandra which just went -3 for free before they got rid of the Planeswalker damage redirect rule.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Please don't bully me, Gallia-san

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If anyone is bored on a Sunday morning, Kannister (The dude who won Mythic Champ 8 with Jund Food) is livestreaming some Pioneer MonoG Ramp at the minute and I like his streaming style, he's pretty chill.

https://www.twitch.tv/kanister_mtg

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

If anyone is bored on a Sunday morning, Kannister (The dude who won Mythic Champ 8 with Jund Food) is livestreaming some Pioneer MonoG Ramp at the minute and I like his streaming style, he's pretty chill.

https://www.twitch.tv/kanister_mtg

the channel would really benefit from a 'mute music' option

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
so why is that a rare?

EDIT: i get that you can compare it with benalia but it's so much worse. I guess it's kind of fun, maybe i'm underestimating it idk.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 29, 2019

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

No Wave posted:

so why is that a rare?

EDIT: i get that you can compare it with benalia but it's so much worse. I guess it's kind of fun, maybe i'm underestimating it idk.

benalia was a mythic so that comparison isn't fair

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
At one point that also domed the opponent, and they scaled it back.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Two bodies, life and scry seems good, especially when it can feed into tribal synergy by loading the yard.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

History of Banalia, is that you?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Firedrinker, Boon, Wayfinder, and Voyaging have all seen a good amount of play.

Definitely but they don’t work together in the same deck at all.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

back in my day 2 generic and one black mana got you a single 2/2 zombie with minimal tribal support and we dealt with it

lazy kids these days

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Benalia was also 1CC rather than 2C, and in a colour that should have better creatures. This card seems pretty decent if you have a deck where it's likely to hit with both verses, and +4 in the graveyard could be very relevant if the Escape mechanic is good.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

No Wave posted:

so why is that a rare?

would you want to see that at uncommon in limited

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Reprint patriarchs bidding

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Card seems good to me. Not a slam dunk in constructed, but potentially playable if the self mill is good.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

A minor point that makes playing multiple satyr lord a little more tolerable even though it's legendary - you can discard the spares as part of your card advantage, to filter through them and hunt for other 2-drops, or 1- or 3-drops. I still think this is mostly a limited card, but it'd be fun to see it in Gruul agro.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Arcturas posted:

A minor point that makes playing multiple satyr lord a little more tolerable even though it's legendary - you can discard the spares as part of your card advantage, to filter through them and hunt for other 2-drops, or 1- or 3-drops. I still think this is mostly a limited card, but it'd be fun to see it in Gruul agro.

You might discard the spares to your card engine. The random really hurts it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ungulateman posted:

(sorry for the image being crap, it was cropped off of instagram)

If nothing else this card will be a boon for cosplayers.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

PJOmega posted:

You might discard the spares to your card engine. The random really hurts it.
Yeah, I don't know why it needed to be random. It goes from mediocre filtering to "pray that your whole hand is trash so you can draw some cards". not something I wanna be doing on turn 3-4, and if I'm RG I'm probably dead if I'm activating this later on.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The deck that wants this card wants to be topdecking so the discard being random isn't always that bad. Draw a good card, play it. Draw a bad card, pitch it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i hope we get a mirran pirate satyr. a crew member if you will

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Seems like it would be good in an aggro deck where creatures are interchangeable to a point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
the ability is literally desperate ravings, which was an extremely playable card for delver during SOM-INN standard just because all your cards did roughly the same thing.