Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What cases and screen protectors do y’all like for the Apple Watch Series 5 44mm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
None.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The only remotely good case is the one that makes it look like a G-Shock and even that's iffy

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

I. M. Gei posted:

What cases and screen protectors do y’all like for the Apple Watch Series 5 44mm?

:barf:

Don’t do it.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Do you know a decent knockoff version of the black Milanese loop? I know the Apple one is probably the best, but I feel like 99€ is a bit much for something I would only wear once in a while.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You basically have to gamble on whoever from Aliexpress or Amazon because the knockoff vendors come and go overnight and reviews are mostly faked. They are probably all selling from the same factory or two in China anyway.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I now do a screen protector because I’m a weird righty and wear my watch on my right hand. I end up banging it on everything and getting small scratches all over.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HCNHYGW

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Honj Steak posted:

Do you know a decent knockoff version of the black Milanese loop? I know the Apple one is probably the best, but I feel like 99€ is a bit much for something I would only wear once in a while.

If you're really, truly only going to wear it once in a while, any knockoff is probably good enough. I had two knockoffs before I gave up and shelled out for the real thing, but my intent was to wear it all the time.

Problems I had with the knockoffs include simply being painted black (that chipped away pretty quickly,) the magnetic closure not being shielded at all on its outer side, and the lug openings being too wide for the band, causing it to constantly shift back and forth, feeling like it may have been a notification vibration when it wasn't.

A petty downside in retrospect: they just looked like black bands and neither of them looked as nice as the real band, which has a beautiful gunmetal glow/shimmer to it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Endless Mike posted:

The only remotely good case is the one that makes it look like a G-Shock and even that's iffy

cowofwar posted:

:barf:

Don’t do it.

So y’all are saying I shouldn’t get this case, then?
https://www.zagg.com/en_us/glassfusion-360-apple-watch-series-5

Or this one, plus a screen protector?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07HSJ2TB8/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=A2SFKRF5TPZMT5&psc=1

I’m pretty paranoid about my watch getting damaged or scratched.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Tiny chance you’ll damage your nice new watch vs 100% chance it looks like a big plastic piece of poo poo.

edit: my coworker wears a case and it looks bad and bulky, I feel like the watch is thick enough as it is, and I suspect some scuffs (however unlikely) would look way better than the case

Built 4 Cuban Linux fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 28, 2019

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

People have been wearing wrist watches for 150 years and shattered screens is a thing that happens, but not commonly. If you're prone to messing yours up get applecare.

Or be sensible and just wear the darn thing, it's not going to explode the first time you bump it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hmm I just ordered some screen protectors (just film type ones I think). I can’t see a downside to that?

I’m mainly thinking of when I go surfing I don’t want any sand getting stuck between my wetsuit and the watch face.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The downside is they look ugly.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I've accidentally hit my watch on doors before and it doesn't even have a scuff from it.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Get a case or screen protector if it reduces the stress about wearing the watch. Doesn't hurt anyone and at worst looks a little goofy, but people wear other watches that look even goofier by themselves.

But just keep in mind that if something happens that will really damage the watch or cause big visual physical problems, a case or screen protector likely isn't going to protect it. The watch has been designed to withstand everyday abuse (hitting walls, hitting door handles, having your hand outside your window while driving, banging against tables, etc.). If you don't wear a watch often, you're likely going to smash it against all sorts of stuff and freak out and check out every millimeter of it for scratches and you'll discover that it's fine every time. You might get some tiny scratches here and there that you have to get really up close to notice but you won't actually break it.

When I broke my watch, I was crawling around on the ground at work and rubbed the screen on concrete. For what I did a screen protector wouldn't have helped me because I would have likely torn through that as well. But I would have likely tore up any watch I would have been wearing, and so I had to learn to wear a watch again. That was like 3 years ago and I haven't damaged it since getting it replaced by AppleCare because I'm naturally more careful now.

So if it makes you feel good, put that stuff on it for the first 3 months and then take it off once you get used to wearing it every day.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I had a cosmetic scratch on my old Series 1 that drove me nuts, went for a shield the second I got my 5.

Really can’t tell it’s there, no reason not to get one if it’s going to make you happy.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I wear a case on my older watch I wear for rock climbing cause I’ve broken like 3 watches that way iirc. Otherwise I don’t think I’ve done any damage to my watches so don’t wear a case in any other context.

(..also I just have AppleCare on my newer watch)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
This is the first time I have ever seen the “Segments” section in a run workout in the activity app. What is it and why did it show up? Google tells me it’s something that I needed to manually insert by messing with my watch mid-run but today I specifically made it a point not to even glance at my watch at all, much less touch it in any way.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think if you hold down one of the buttons or force touch the screen or something, it creates a segment. It shouldn’t be doing it automatically I don’t think. We’re you wearing long sleeves over the watch? Sometimes when my shirt gets sweaty it can push screen buttons and stuff.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I think if you hold down one of the buttons or force touch the screen or something, it creates a segment. It shouldn’t be doing it automatically I don’t think. We’re you wearing long sleeves over the watch? Sometimes when my shirt gets sweaty it can push screen buttons and stuff.

I had the same wristband I always wear on the same arm as my watch :shrug:. But either way, this seems like a neat feature I didn’t know about before. (Google says it’s double tap on the screen, by the way.)

E: The second segment was at the very end of my run so I guess what likely happened was that I double tapped it when I was going through the motions of stopping the workout somehow.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If anyone's looking for a SS S3 cellular silver and a bunch of bands I'm selling it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908416&perpage=40

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
You should say what size it is. I’m guessing 42mm but I don’t think you say.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

doingitwrong posted:

You should say what size it is. I’m guessing 42mm but I don’t think you say.

Goddamn thanks I forgot about that too. Yes it's 42mm cellular.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Apple's black link bracelet is $450 so I went looking for a quality replica. Got it a few days ago, and it's great. Closes the same, and the links are removable in the same way. Anyway, here it is if you're looking for one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32969552133.html

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Apple's black link bracelet is $450 so I went looking for a quality replica. Got it a few days ago, and it's great. Closes the same, and the links are removable in the same way. Anyway, here it is if you're looking for one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32969552133.html

I think I'll bite on that, thanks. I looked up some reviews/pictures of that band and it looks great. I've always wanted to give the link bracelet a go, but the price is just ridiculous.

Plus, given the real (Space Black) band is susceptible to scuffing and chipping its coating, there's no way I could justify spending that much. The real Space Black Milanese Loop has held up perfectly in that regard, and I've been pretty mean to it over the years.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

enojy posted:

Plus, given the real (Space Black) band is susceptible to scuffing and chipping its coating, there's no way I could justify spending that much. The real Space Black Milanese Loop has held up perfectly in that regard, and I've been pretty mean to it over the years.

Say what? I have a space black link bracelet from my launch S0 watch and it’s still in great shape. I still use it on my S4. Absolutely worth the premium I paid for it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Jose Oquendo posted:

Say what? I have a space black link bracelet from my launch S0 watch and it’s still in great shape. I still use it on my S4. Absolutely worth the premium I paid for it.

Oh alright, I suppose it's up to the owner to treat it with some care, then. I briefly looked through some used bands on eBay and some of them are looking pretty haggard (unless this seller is trying to pass off fake extension links posed next to a retail box or something.)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I got a knockoff link bracelet and it looks great, just like the apple one. But it's less comfortable than the sports loop and milanese loop since you can't adjust it as exactly. I ended up wearing the sports loop 90% of the time.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I originally got a watch with the elastomer band and it made my arm hurt after a few days. I now mainly wear the nylon loop and I barely feel the watch anymore. It’s much better.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I tracked skiing for the first time yesterday and I'm actually curious how it tracks distance when it doesn't use GPS. Doesn't seem like the accelerometer would be that useful for skiing as it would for running when you have a standard cadence and arm motion. It told me how many runs I did, which is probably super easy to tell when I'm on a lift, but the distance seems super hard to track. It looked pretty accurate too. My son tracked our runs on his Garmin, and got 28 miles, which included the lifts, but my AW paused on the lifts and I got 16 miles, which seems super reasonable for all day skiing.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Every Apple Watch after Series 1 has its own GPS doesn’t it?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Every Apple Watch after Series 1 has its own GPS doesn’t it?

Yes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I lol every time I remember the Series 0/1 didn't have GPS and had crappy water resistance, yet was somehow marketed as a fitness tracker.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They're still super dodgy about water resistance, suggesting that exposing the watch to anything high pressure (like a shower or sink faucet) is not recommended.

Even though I take it into the shower every week and it's been fine for over a year, but they sure like to be cautious.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

xzzy posted:

They're still super dodgy about water resistance, suggesting that exposing the watch to anything high pressure (like a shower or sink faucet) is not recommended.

Even though I take it into the shower every week and it's been fine for over a year, but they sure like to be cautious.

I wonder if the people who have problems with water resistance shower daily...

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I shower daily with my watch on. No issues with my 3 over 2 years, nor with my 5.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

enojy posted:

I think I'll bite on that, thanks. I looked up some reviews/pictures of that band and it looks great. I've always wanted to give the link bracelet a go, but the price is just ridiculous.

Also ordered one of these. I like the look of link bracelets but $450 is absolutely way too much. I'll take some potential scuffs and keep $400 in my pocket. Even my actual Citizen watch's stainless link bracelet gets scuffed.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

I shower daily with my watch on. No issues with my 3 over 2 years, nor with my 5.

I'm glad to know you care about your hygiene and shower daily.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

You should shower daily even if your watch is not on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Why would you do this? I mean, water-resistance issues aside (great to hear it has been OK), you would have to take it off to dry your wrist and watch anyway? :confused: