Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I usually go right to mushrooms as soon as possible, and then long term go for stuffed berries for the morale when I have enough water geysers/whatevers tamed and productive. End up with tons of slime laying around anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Long term I will stand up for pepper bread as long as you have a source of pwater for it. I have only really played one game long enough to get there and I was fortunate enough to have a massive natural wild peppernut farm sitting right to the side of my base, so maybe it's not always so easy. The sleet wheat farm was a very fun engineering project and it was super satisfying to flip the switch in heat vision mode and watch the temperature drop.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Tried Spicy Tofu in my last game and tbh it's just a more irritating version of pepper bread that requires more resources. Would avoid.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I almost bounced off this game after buying it recently, but after watching a couple tutorials I am hooked. Just stayed up until 7 AM without realizing it, because oh I will just finish insulating the base. Hm, now need more oxygen better work on that. Ok that's done but my power grid need some work, oh god wait what time is it?

I have been trying on my latest base to keep a low duplicant count for now and to focus on one thing at a time- it is easy to get carried away planning stuff and to end up with a bunch of half finished projects. Going well so far on Rime!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

bird food bathtub posted:

I usually go right to mushrooms as soon as possible, and then long term go for stuffed berries for the morale when I have enough water geysers/whatevers tamed and productive. End up with tons of slime laying around anyway.

I ended up having a lot of problems sourcing Slime on Rime. The farms would just chug that poo poo even after I hollowed out whole biomes.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Blisster posted:

I almost bounced off this game after buying it recently, but after watching a couple tutorials I am hooked. Just stayed up until 7 AM without realizing it, because oh I will just finish insulating the base. Hm, now need more oxygen better work on that. Ok that's done but my power grid need some work, oh god wait what time is it?

I have been trying on my latest base to keep a low duplicant count for now and to focus on one thing at a time- it is easy to get carried away planning stuff and to end up with a bunch of half finished projects. Going well so far on Rime!

What kind of tutorial videos you been watching?

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Just wanted to drop by and say the bad lands map is delightfully difficult. I haven't lost a colony in ages, but almost managed to this time due to running out of salt for rust. Also almost starved to death due to no mushrooms and extreme lack of p water.

All in all, fun times.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I rushed hatch ranching, first regular hatches with sandstone, until the 2% hit for stone hatches finally gave me a stone hatchling. At that point my 6700 tons of granite became a pretty decent food source.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

User0015 posted:

Just wanted to drop by and say the bad lands map is delightfully difficult. I haven't lost a colony in ages, but almost managed to this time due to running out of salt for rust. Also almost starved to death due to no mushrooms and extreme lack of p water.

All in all, fun times.

Badlands is bad at the beginning and also at the end, when you realise that all the refined iron you can eat doesn't make up for a lack of ores to build basic structures.

Playingon Volcanea with Subsurface ocean and I'm sandwiched between vast quantities of saltwater and slime biomes that've broken down the boundary with a volcanic one and have subsequently melted. Decided to go for Super Sustainable, which I got by harnessing all the hot rocks. Haven't even bothered with fossil fuels and am about to launch a rocket.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
My experience with badlands was that it was the easiest asteroid as other than the surface and the oil biome the asteroid was remarkably not hostile. You need to find water, but you should be able to open most of the geysers fairly quickly as you can dig large tunnels.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I keep getting crashes and window stopcodes. Tried reinstalling, making sure my drivers are up to date. Frustrating because there's no rhyme or reason to it, and ONI is literally the only game that triggers it, so I don't think my computer is dying.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
What are the most straightforward ways to breach a chlorine zone?

How do you go about terraforming the biome?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The simplest is dig into it. The only thing that you got to worry about is your dupes not being able to breathe that gas. Since its fairly dense (but less so than Carbon Dioxide), draining Chloine rapidly requires a hole in the bottom of the clearing.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Put up an airlock or waterlock and dig around in it without actually breaching it is a possibility. Otherwise as long as it doesn't get in to your living area the only real effect is extended mining time while your dupes run for air.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I finally got this game after looking for something to burn my winter sale :5bux: on, and wow I'm a stupid doo doo baby who can't keep his ants alive, and I haven't really touched half the stuff before advanced research even. That may be the problem actually, I'm used to Civilization type games hammering home GO GO RESEARCH NOW but losing a dupe to research after the first few super useful techs seems a lot rougher than I expected.

Is there a good set of guides I can use to learn the game? A lot of the video guides I've found on YouTube are from previous builds, so I don't know what is relevant or not.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I finally got this game after looking for something to burn my winter sale :5bux: on, and wow I'm a stupid doo doo baby who can't keep his ants alive, and I haven't really touched half the stuff before advanced research even. That may be the problem actually, I'm used to Civilization type games hammering home GO GO RESEARCH NOW but losing a dupe to research after the first few super useful techs seems a lot rougher than I expected.

Is there a good set of guides I can use to learn the game? A lot of the video guides I've found on YouTube are from previous builds, so I don't know what is relevant or not.

Youtube account Francis John puts out a shitload of videos about ONI. Check out his "tutorial nuggets" playlist.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I liked this one:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1359110726

They have a mid game and a late game one also. I don't necessarily agree with all their ideas and I'd encourage you to try doing your own designs instead of copying theirs, but it's a starting point. This will be easier once you are at least short term stable.

I also personally don't like video guides for games like the, because I'd generally rather read than listen to a guy blather for twenty minutes, and they aren't searchable so you gotta click around to find what you want and stuff is often spread across multiple. I had fun watching videos of crazy poo poo people built in this game but for learning it I think screenshots and text is the way to go. No worries if your preference is for video guides though.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

I'll check those both out, thanks!

And I do prefer video guides, though yeah a lot of "guides" are just "let's plays" with basic SEO. I figured that, since this game seems to share a bloodline with the likes of Dwarf Fortress, maybe there's at least one enterprising person making guides on the same level as that dude who makes beginner fort guides every year or so.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

What the hell do you do when your starting map has a tiny amount of clean water inside of the initial area? Beeline for the water filter? I eventually just gave up when I was just about out of it, because other than the polluted water output from my other stuff, the only pockets with polluted water were also lousy with polluted oxygen, which I didn't have an answer for.

I do kinda wish there was a campaign or challenge mode that gave breadcrumb goals to teach you how to navigate the general strategy of priorities for beginner bases. I'm trying not to expand too fast, but the game doesn't do a great job of telling me which machines require or output which things until I build them. I guess I should read all the info pages of all the buildings before I build them, but even the encyclopedia pages on them doesn't list things like the fertilizer maker releasing ambient natural gas or requiring phosphorite, which sucked when I had already done a ton of digging and didn't happen to mine any during that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Locke Dunnegan posted:

What the hell do you do when your starting map has a tiny amount of clean water inside of the initial area? Beeline for the water filter? I eventually just gave up when I was just about out of it, because other than the polluted water output from my other stuff, the only pockets with polluted water were also lousy with polluted oxygen, which I didn't have an answer for.

I do kinda wish there was a campaign or challenge mode that gave breadcrumb goals to teach you how to navigate the general strategy of priorities for beginner bases. I'm trying not to expand too fast, but the game doesn't do a great job of telling me which machines require or output which things until I build them. I guess I should read all the info pages of all the buildings before I build them, but even the encyclopedia pages on them doesn't list things like the fertilizer maker releasing ambient natural gas or requiring phosphorite, which sucked when I had already done a ton of digging and didn't happen to mine any during that.

What are you using water for? You need it for advanced research but that's basically it for awhile. Eventually you'll want electrolyters for making oxygen but hopefully you have the water sieve by then. It's definitely something I research pretty early. If you have the sieve, dupes peeing is actually water positive, which is important in the design of your plumbing system. Do note that sieving the water does not remove the germs, so don't use it for food, but for the electrolyzer or research it's fine.

IMO you should definitely venture into other biomes before your algae runs out. I know some of the maps are really stingy on water.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Yeah. Almost every problem in ONI has a solution, but the game won’t really explain to you what the solution is.

For early water troubles, there are a few options. First, don’t use much water: avoid foods that require water, like bristle berries, and recipes that need it, like liceloaf. Second, figure out a new source: you can get polluted water or salt water from common biomes on most maps, or you can dig around and search for the ice biome.

Most problems in the game are easy enough to solve if you see them coming from a long way away, but you’ll need experience to do that. Until then keep backup saves and remember that losing is fun.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The game has a very steep (well maybe not steep so much as opaque) learning curve if you don't watch a bunch of videos and what not beforehand, or read this thread / ask questions when it's active.

In defense of that though, the learning curve is one of the more interesting parts; you go from barely scratching out a base to hitting the mid game okay but struggling to building gigantic megabases. That trial and error is 100% normal and good in this game, and I would argue the real objective of Klei games: survival. The rocket and space poo poo is just endgame content for people who figured out that early stuff already.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 29, 2019

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Seconding Francis John's tutorials; they helped me a lot. His advice tends to be very practical, which I appreciate. That said, I agree with others that it's ok to go it on your own and let yourself fail. Some of the best times I've had in this game were in my first few colonies where everything was falling apart.

Also you should know that the struggle for survival is really only in the early game. Mid and late game, you'll have stable food/water/power/oxygen systems going, and the game becomes more about planning, building, and resource management.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

How do you not use water for food when every recipe requires water? Growing plants also requires water, so I have to choose to starve now or starve later. Is there some way to get consistent food without water or lucking into a ton of starter buried food? I don't know what all is using the water other than farm tiles and research, as far as I can tell.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Locke Dunnegan posted:

How do you not use water for food when every recipe requires water? Growing plants also requires water, so I have to choose to starve now or starve later. Is there some way to get consistent food without water or lucking into a ton of starter buried food? I don't know what all is using the water other than farm tiles and research, as far as I can tell.
Mealwood doesn't require water and neither do dusk caps. Stick with those for a long time - imo better food than mushrooms can be punted on until late game.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Weird, I could have sworn Mealwood required water too. That's great, thanks. Also I am reading that guide and it does warn of the high water cost of adv. research in the beginning of the game, so I figure that's what hosed me. I'll slow down on the research and focus on bugplants.

EDIT: Does run speed affect manual generator production? I can't find anything about it so I assume not, but they are running in the wheel.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 29, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Weird, I could have sworn Mealwood required water too. That's great, thanks. Also I am reading that guide and it does warn of the high water cost of adv. research in the beginning of the game, so I figure that's what hosed me. I'll slow down on the research and focus on bugplants.
I was under this same impression when I started and a friend pointed me towards this very thing - the answer to "what are you using water for?" was just me clicking on research over and over. A lot of advanced research is important and you want it ASAP, just think about it in terms of what you want to spend water on right now. You can discount things like the sieve that will almost immediately be water profitable, assuming you have some polluted water lying around.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Locke Dunnegan posted:

EDIT: Does run speed affect manual generator production? I can't find anything about it so I assume not, but they are running in the wheel.

Athletics has no effect on manual generators, neither does operating. Those stats do slowly increase while using them, however.

would be hilarious if higher athletics dupes could overcharge the power network.. wonder if it could be modded

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Han Nehi posted:

Seconding Francis John's tutorials; they helped me a lot. His advice tends to be very practical, which I appreciate. That said, I agree with others that it's ok to go it on your own and let yourself fail. Some of the best times I've had in this game were in my first few colonies where everything was falling apart.

Also you should know that the struggle for survival is really only in the early game. Mid and late game, you'll have stable food/water/power/oxygen systems going, and the game becomes more about planning, building, and resource management.

I'd add in Brothgar has done some fun videos as well. If you start getting into the more experimental or fun build stuff, he has some good videos on that.

GrindThisGame also has a series called "fix my base" that teaches you exactly what not to do that many newbies fall trap to. My first trap was using electrolyzers without understanding heat management and promptly melting my crops.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

As said, Mealwood is just dirt and dupe time, and mushrooms are slime and dupe time when you get comfortable dealing with slimelung (FWIW direct contact is not dangerous, it's ingesting/breathing only). You can avoid all water use for food by sticking with raw mealwood till you get an electric stove up and running for mushrooms or bristle once you have a consistent water source.

The morale penalty from eating mealwood over liceloaf is 100% negligible; you will completely offset the morale issues with proper room usage, especially getting a nature reserve or great hall up ASAP, both of which are pretty straightforward.

Each mealwood is ~200kcal/c, and dupes need 1000kal/c per cycle, so you need 5, call it 6 planted mealwood per dupe to stay food positive. Raw mushrooms is 4, cooked mushrooms are 3 with some overflow. Bristle is in between. You will have to generate seeds for 3+ dupes, but that will happen naturally as you harvest, especially if you have a dude with good starting farming skill.

Ignore the greenhouse mechanic entirely, you will not use it or need it before like sleet wheat and even then it's not really worth dupe time as you can automate everything else.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 29, 2019

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I'm trying not to expand too fast, but the game doesn't do a great job of telling me which machines require or output which things until I build them. I guess I should read all the info pages of all the buildings before I build them, but even the encyclopedia pages on them doesn't list things like the fertilizer maker releasing ambient natural gas or requiring phosphorite, which sucked when I had already done a ton of digging and didn't happen to mine any during that.

I consult oni-db.com regularly while I play. It details all the inputs and outputs for buildings, inputs for crops, dupe needs, etc.

As others have mentioned, you don't absolutely need water for much of anything besides research and wash basins in the early game. If you have algae, you can generate oxygen from a diffuser. If you have dirt, you can feed your dupes uncooked meal lice; cooking it with water into liceloaf just makes it more calorie efficient. The +1 morale difference is negligible in the early game.

Tier 3+ research will be tough, depending on how many water tiles you have. A single T3 technology will use up one tile of fresh water. T4 uses 1.5 tiles and T5 uses 2.5.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Well gently caress me, I didn't realize dupes could eat raw lice. I thought you guys had a secret way to have liceloaf not cost water and I couldn't find anything in the tech tree and was going nuts. I was burning all my water racing to make liceloaf since I thought that really was the cheapest renewable food otherwise. :shobon:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Well gently caress me, I didn't realize dupes could eat raw lice. I thought you guys had a secret way to have liceloaf not cost water and I couldn't find anything in the tech tree and was going nuts. I was burning all my water racing to make liceloaf since I thought that really was the cheapest renewable food otherwise. :shobon:

You can see exactly what dupes can eat, the morale from said item, and the ability to toggle that food on/off in "Consumables" in the top right hotbar

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Mazz posted:

You can see exactly what dupes can eat, the morale from said item, and the ability to toggle that food on/off in "Consumables" in the top right hotbar

It took me a bit more playing for this to hit me and wow this will save me a lot of annoyance when my dupes are leaving gifted omelettes rotting while they eat all the pickled stuff.

Also the Dude, Fix My Base and Tutorial Nuggets guides are extremely useful, I appreciate the heads up. I can already tell that my improved priority management and things like basic automation and water locks are making a big difference in general headaches.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Found a gold geyser in a close by ice biome! I'm not close to actually exploiting it yet given I don't have plastic or steel or anything to contain it, but would something like this still work? I know some of the machines that used to output at a set temp are now dynamic based on input, so a lot of older 'builds' don't work anymore in tutorial videos, and I haven't touched steam power or geysers yet so I want to get an idea of what can work before I gently caress up the colony and/or ice biome with heat from liquid GOOOOOOOLD

insta
Jan 28, 2009
The first design he posted will work fine for gold volcanoes. Just take it very seriously to vacuum out the volcano room before uncorking it, and double-insulate around it. The 2 tons of water is also important, but otherwise, yeah, it'll be fine.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Found a gold geyser in a close by ice biome! I'm not close to actually exploiting it yet given I don't have plastic or steel or anything to contain it, but would something like this still work? I know some of the machines that used to output at a set temp are now dynamic based on input, so a lot of older 'builds' don't work anymore in tutorial videos, and I haven't touched steam power or geysers yet so I want to get an idea of what can work before I gently caress up the colony and/or ice biome with heat from liquid GOOOOOOOLD

I don't believe anything has changed since that guide was posted. I've never self cooled a steam turbine like that guide does, be sure to use enough water or else everything will come to a stop.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Smiling Demon posted:

I don't believe anything has changed since that guide was posted. I've never self cooled a steam turbine like that guide does, be sure to use enough water or else everything will come to a stop.

I've done it and it does work, though hypothetically it could fail if the turbine is running so infrequently that the heat slowly bleeding through the insulation makes the turbine too hot to start up and cool itself.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Eh, gold puts out so little heat that I usually just set up a big pool of water under it, where it won't over-pressure the volcano, put up a few metal tiles in the containment walls, and let all the heat bleed out in to the environment anyway. As long as it's not three steps away from your bristle berry farm or something the heat load is negligible and will just fade into the background of a given area until you have so many tons of gold you just turn it off to stop it. Other volcanos I take a little more seriously but gold is pretty "meh" on heat output so I prioritise other things.

Super useful, don't get me wrong. Tons of easy refined metal makes a bunch of things easier, and you will want to be careful about building gold tiles in your living quarters or something. I just view a gold volcano as pretty low-threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

I just put a minimum size double insulated box around each volcano. if I need metal, crack one open, dump all the superhot metal into the refinery coolant pool, and wall it back up.