Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Mongols are also the primary reason so much of the middle East is inhospitable. There used to be a massive irrigation network in place and when the Mongols punished the Muslim population for resisting they destroyed the irrigation system and utterly hosed the environment.

When you resist you get beaten into submission. But it takes a long time to put down internal strife when you do that, and the later books point out that other client states of Nilfgaard are pretty much lawless when the Empire is on the march because oppressed people don't need much prodding to fight back when their oppressors aren't around. The irony of Nilfgaard is that they represent this monolithic front to the Northern Kingdoms but they're no more unified than anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dijkstra is one of my favorite characters in the game and he's the best thing that can happen for the North.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Agreed. when he gave his speech about rebuilding the North I was like oh yeah these people standing next to me definitely have to die for that. Not joking. I walked out on them.

It's a shame, I expected Towler to be smarter than that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Except he's also a massive idiot in the end.
he convinces Geralt to join his assassination plot by telling him it will save Yennefer and Triss from persecution, but his price is to kill three people who have done more for Geralt than Sigi has ever done. Thaler never betrayed Geralt and Roche and Ves bled for Geralt. Why would Geralt turn on his friends to save his other friends and why would Dijkstra be stupid enough to try a stunt like that when Geralt was in the same room? if he was hedging his bets he'd take Geralt aside to talk about payment and then turn on the Temerians when Geralt couldn't help them.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 29, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

That's arguably just bad character writing. Regardless, Dijkstra's plan was a pipe dream, and you'd be a bad Geralt to support it. :colbert:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd say that it's more a problem of how the third act of Witcher 3 is really rushed compared to the slow burn of the first two acts. There's lots going on in act 3 but none of it is as fleshed out as id like, so Dijkstra suddenly has to take stupid pills so his plotline can be resolved now no time for so overs.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's true, they did cut a lot from Act 3 even though the game is 120 hours long.

I think your interpretation of the political conflict at the end comes down to whether you have any regard for Temeria or its patriots. I never liked Roche or Ves.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Open Source Idiom posted:

Man, I recognise that you really tried, but I skimmed your post and worked out what I suspect is a pretty big spoiler.

Just saw that, too. Adjusted the spoiler tags for them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arglebargle III posted:

It's true, they did cut a lot from Act 3 even though the game is 120 hours long.

I think your interpretation of the political conflict at the end comes down to whether you have any regard for Temeria or its patriots. I never liked Roche or Ves.

Roche and Ves and Thaler are friends and friends don't let friends die because some fat rear end in a top hat is having sudden delusions of grandeur. you monster. You fiend.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lil Peeler posted:

I think it's because coming from the games at least, northgard was strict and dictatorial but never needlessly cruel.one of the reasons I tended to side with them over the northern realms in The Witcher 2 and 3 were because I realized how lovely, racist and backwards the northern kingdoms were. This definitely undercuts some of that logic lol

lol Nilfgaard has literal slavery.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Roche and Ves and Thaler are friends and friends don't let friends die because some fat rear end in a top hat is having sudden delusions of grandeur. you monster. You fiend.

No Roche is a secret policeman who put you in jail for no reason. Thaler ought to know better and Ves is just a bloodthirsty child.

These are all game characters so it's probably the wrong thread to talk about this.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 29, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oijzQ8m5YKc

Hmm.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

esperterra posted:

Just saw that, too. Adjusted the spoiler tags for them.

What was it? I have only watched the series and played the games.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

twistedmentat posted:

What was it? I have only watched the series and played the games.

Just (book and future show spoilers) Duny being Emhyr.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Simply put some things work better on paper than they do in a visual medium.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl2si0NdqII

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Simply put some things work better on paper than they do in a visual medium.

:siren: This is continuing the book spoiler discussion.

I have mixed feelings on that. That twist has been done recently with Bioshock Infinite and Predestination. You change the character completely to sell it. They could've pulled it off with the curse, delaying the cure until way later. And it's a pretty fun twist when done right. On the other hand, I get why they would want to avoid that headache.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

esperterra posted:

Just (book and future show spoilers) Duny being Emhyr.

Oh I totally thought he was called that in the show. I am Pretty sure that was mentioned in the games too, though the games do have spoilers because they take place after the books.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
i wish the bard's stupid witcher song would leave my head this week it would be nice thx

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

No Roche is a secret policeman who put you in jail for no reason. Thaler ought to know better and Ves is just a bloodthirsty child.

These are all game characters so it's probably the wrong thread to talk about this.

I mean "standing alone in a room with a dead king and a sword" is not "no reason"

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Wild Horses posted:

i wish the bard's stupid witcher song would leave my head this week it would be nice thx
I have brain worms from it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh valley of penis.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Also the show is perfectly serviceable but it fails to make the choice of being side quest based and main mission based—which is a huge issue with the source material as well.

There’s a great case that this should be a linear timeline series focusing on Geralt and gradually drawing in the supporting characters. The Ciri arc is really pretty loving boring. The episodes that are Geralt hitting a hornets nest for money were the most entertaining imo

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

I think I would have enjoyed this show more if there was less of this stuff and more cool fights with monsters.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

straight up brolic posted:

The episodes that are Geralt hitting a hornets nest for money were the most entertaining imo

Yeah episodes like the Striga really capture the appeal of the games and the books especially Geralt getting hoodwinked by his dishonest employers.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

side_burned posted:

I think I would have enjoyed this show more if there was less of this stuff and more cool fights with monsters.

yeah I just want him to go to town, the mayor says "please kill this monster" and then geralt kills it and gets some money and has a drink and takes a bath

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

straight up brolic posted:

Also the show is perfectly serviceable but it fails to make the choice of being side quest based and main mission based—which is a huge issue with the source material as well.

There’s a great case that this should be a linear timeline series focusing on Geralt and gradually drawing in the supporting characters. The Ciri arc is really pretty loving boring. The episodes that are Geralt hitting a hornets nest for money were the most entertaining imo

Ciri and Yen aren’t supporting characters.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wild Horses posted:

Every version i can find is mixed weird. Like it sounds like its recorded in a tin can and when the additional instrumentation comes in its louder than the lyrics.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Its probably ripped from the show right? Would like an album version

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Every version i can find is mixed weird. Like it sounds like its recorded in a tin can and when the additional instrumentation comes in its louder than the lyrics.

They should troll the audience by having a whole episode in S2 be nothing but Dandelion songs.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Can someone explain to me the end of episode 1? I didn't understand why everyone turned on the white haired mercenary guy including the man who hired him and the little girl. It was just really confusing and maybe badly written.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Can someone explain to me the end of episode 1? I didn't understand why everyone turned on the white haired mercenary guy including the man who hired him and the little girl. It was just really confusing and maybe badly written.

He's a mutant and everyone hates mutants. He also killed a bunch of normal humans. You don't go stirring poo poo up when you're a hated minority, doesn't matter if you're in the right or not. The wizard was gonna harvest the princess' parts or something and Geralt didn't like that. The wizard then turns on Geralt.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

They just watched a mutant monster hunter who isn't appreciated at the best of times casually slaughter eight people on the street. Regardless of the context, they're scared and want him to get the hell out of town before he decides he should start slaughtering them, too. The mage turned against him, too, because the witcher has been a troublesome hireling and this seems like an excellent excuse to get rid of him.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wild Horses posted:

Its probably ripped from the show right? Would like an album version

Yea that's the only thing I can think of.

etalian posted:

They should troll the audience by having a whole episode in S2 be nothing but Dandelion songs.

Something i really liked is his songs were fairly modern sounding. Not only because it sounds better, but it suggests some spoilery backstory stuff.

About that first episode, did Geralt put the broach from the woman he killed on the hilt of his sword?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It's not done very well compared to the book but basically Stregobor decided to play into the xenophobia against Witchers to save his own skin and spun the fight in the marketplace as Geralt butchering innocents. In the book nobody except Geralt knows what the mercenaries are about to do, so to their eyes he just slaughtered random people. The show drops that nuance so it needs to make Stregobor more (if that was possible) villainous to get the crowd to turn on him.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's not done very well compared to the book but basically Stregobor decided to play into the xenophobia against Witchers to save his own skin and spun the fight in the marketplace as Geralt butchering innocents. In the book nobody except Geralt knows what the mercenaries are about to do, so to their eyes he just slaughtered random people. The show drops that nuance so it needs to make Stregobor more (if that was possible) villainous to get the crowd to turn on him.

The show also seemed to drop that Streg and Geralt knew each other and have history. I liked that element of the book.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Just binged this trash show in two days and I can't tell you why it's so damned appealing. The dialogue was frequently incredibly cringe worthy and the CGI for a lot of the monster was incredibly poor (those dragons were terrible) but I kept making time to watch it, and I'm eagerly awaiting season two.

It's even got me to pick the games back up and now I want to read the books.

Arglebargle III posted:

Lauren Schmidt posted:

Henry Cavill's performance was so on point that he didn't even need much of the dialog written for this character, writer and show-runner Lauren Schmidt revealed because he was able to convey everything through his performance alone. She said, "In the first episode, I wrote Geralt with a lot of lines. Henry shot them all, and in the edit we started pulling some of them out. Henry brings subtleties to this character, finding emotional resonance in small moments, and playing it in such a subtle way that you understand what the character is going through without necessarily having huge chunks of dialogue. By the time we got to the finale of the first season - we didn't even shoot half the dialogue because we knew there was so much Henry could do with Geralt that didn't require my words."
Interesting theory on why Geralt's scenes are so much better than everyone else's -- they just have less dialogue.

From a few pages back, but I love that it seems they were terribly surprised that Henry Cavill was able to act, as if they'd never seen anyone do it before.

"Hold the goddam phone, did you know that you can use your face and body to convey meaning or emotion and not just exposit everwhere?"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Just imagine how easy it was to animate that 100% dead assed dragon.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
Edit: drat, wrong thread.

Edit edit: gently caress it, gonna :justpost: anyway:

twistedmentat posted:

About that first episode, did Geralt put the broach from the woman he killed on the hilt of his sword?

Yeah, a few pages back someone screencapped the hilt of his sword with it on there, though I can't remember if it was his silver or steel sword. I'm somewhat unfamiliar with the books and short stories, but their romance seemed kind of rushed at first glance. The whole thing felt like it happened way too quickly for Geralt to be having dreams about her and mounting broaches on his sword etc, especially since the entire thing was relegated to a single episode, but on second thought I think the takeaway was that he saw a lot of himself within her, and maybe the broach was a reminder not to turn out the same.

Pyrus Malus fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Yeah she was seen as a monster by cthe common folk due to her fate; contrary to Geralt, she embraced that instead of rejecting it.

The first episode is much better on a rewatch, once you realize that it's a story about two girls, both princesses, both with an unusual and powerful blood, both tied by destiny to Geralt (Stregobor specifically mentions that destiny has brought him, Geralt and Renfri in Blaviken at the same time). Geralt is destined to kill one of them and save the other.