Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Budzilla posted:

I get that much. But from your previous posts reading to me was that any real wages improvement just seem to be against government policy.
Lost in translation I guess but it implies that this what Putin is actively doing. Rather than just being neglectful and prioritising everything else.
How long can this last for? Or how much further to go before Russia is back to where it was in 1990?

"He obviously misspoke" is the crucial bit you're missing. Putin had a particularly unfortunate brainfart moment on camera is what he's saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Budzilla posted:

Care to elaborate? Putin really wants wages to stagnate? He used Russians improved quality of life for many years to justify his leadership.

Can you think of even just one president/prime minister who doesn't want wages to stagnate?

I can think of one, and he's been ousted by a coup as a punishment for this crime against the oligarchy's compulsive hoarding.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 29 minutes!
Soiled Meat
It's not that neolibs don't want wages to rise, it's in their interest; the problem is that they want them to rise by magic / expect somebody else to cause the rise while they sit on their money hoard waiting for the economy to spring to life.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

aphid_licker posted:

"He obviously misspoke" is the crucial bit you're missing. Putin had a particularly unfortunate brainfart moment on camera is what he's saying.
Could be that the words aren't even the problem they have with the clip, just showing any sign of weakness.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

steinrokkan posted:

It's not that neolibs don't want wages to rise, it's in their interest; the problem is that they want them to rise by magic / expect somebody else to cause the rise while they sit on their money hoard waiting for the economy to spring to life.

No, because then if wages increase by magic (instead of being taken from oligarchs), you're increasing the monetary mass, aka inflation, and that results in a depreciation of the currency, making oligarchs less rich in the process. The consequences are the same as taxation.

What you want is to increase the monetary mass in a way that only benefits those who have more money than they can spend. So wages have to remain stagnating. This way, currency doesn't depreciate, and money gets to remain what it's supposed to be (personal high-scores for the filthy rich) instead of some sort of half-assed value token allowing the average people to exchange goods, services, and labor through a unified economic system.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Witki mi opadly i nic mi sie nie chce a nowy rok tuz tuz, co robic, co robic

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Gówno, jeden zero

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Nie rymuje sie, ale blisko.

Salt Maker
Feb 5, 2006
Halogen was already taken
Slightly off topic from Russian Economic news, would anyone remember or happen to have the link from this thread or the thread in C-SPAM about a Punk bands experience touring during Perestroika?

It would be also be appreciated if anyone had saved the image of the Ukrainian man trying decide between mother Russia and the Gay Devil that is the EU.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Mokotow posted:

Witki mi opadly i nic mi sie nie chce a nowy rok tuz tuz, co robic, co robic

Have you tired drinking?

Usually works for me.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Doing it now, thanks friend. Everyone should check out Gdynia, it’s so chill compared to everywhere else here.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Salt Maker posted:

Slightly off topic from Russian Economic news, would anyone remember or happen to have the link from this thread or the thread in C-SPAM about a Punk bands experience touring during Perestroika?

It would be also be appreciated if anyone had saved the image of the Ukrainian man trying decide between mother Russia and the Gay Devil that is the EU.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

gay eurbortions?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Mike Pompeo is coming to Minsk among other places

https://twitter.com/SecPompeo/status/1211609029258203136

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I'm a bit burned out on politics in general and Latvian politics in particular (and wasn't very knowledgable to begin with), which is why I am venting now.

There's a social media scandal going on in Latvia right now concerning a recent article that describes ties between Azov and the main Latvian nationalist party. This follows recent revelations that their secretary-general had posted on the Iron March forum and Benjamin Raymond had visited their offices in 2014, allegedly following an invite from an unnamed and now deceased member of the ranks.

https://en.rebaltica.lv/2019/12/azov-movements-race-war-plans-find-sympathetic-audience-in-latvian-government-party/

Currently there's a lot of effort being put into painting the article as biased, poorly researched and playing into the pro-Russian narrative of misrepresenting Ukraine, mostly based on (admittedly dodgy) tweets and social media posts of one of the co-authors, as well as a lot of personal attacks on the journalists/media outlet.

I think it is a reasonably well sourced and relevant article, but the nationalist reaction online is a bit soul crushing.

How the hell are you supposed to maintain a positive outlook with stuff like this?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I wish I had a constructive advice to give you here, but I just live with constant loathing of a good third of our country at the very least. Between this, money laundering stuff, Istanbul Convention, Levits being the president, and stuff like healthcare financing, education reforms, and endless VARAM slapfights I only have for 2019 the lovely silver lining that KPV LV has crashed and burned following the election.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Dec 31, 2019

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

did we ever figure out whether the angel kid is supposed to be Pavlik Morozov

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Flavahbeast posted:

did we ever figure out whether the angel kid is supposed to be Pavlik Morozov
It makes perfect sense

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

This article about medical treatment for Wagner mercs made me wonder where exactly they get the money: news.trust.org/item/20200107110123-89k4l/

Treatment of a couple hundred trauma cases a year probably is in the low millions only now that I think of it. Still, it has to come out of someone's bucket, and to be written off on some nerd's balance sheet somewhere.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I know Newsweek is not a reliable source, but Ukrainian plane may have been shut down by Iranian anti air system?

https://www.newsweek.com/iranians-shot-down-ukraine-flight-mistake-sources-1481313

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nitrox posted:

I know Newsweek is not a reliable source, but Ukrainian plane may have been shut down by Iranian anti air system?

https://www.newsweek.com/iranians-shot-down-ukraine-flight-mistake-sources-1481313

Right now it is pure speculation originating from American media, that the very recent crash of Ukraine International Airlines flight near Tehran, which it departed, was cause by Iranians making GBS threads their pants and misidentifying the plane for an American counterstrike attempt in response to their missile salvo at bases in Iraq. So far this is solidly in the “reactive American media crap” drawer to me.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/09/video/iran-plane-missile.html

Looks somewhat convincing

sports
Sep 1, 2012

They're saying it was a malfunction but a definite missile strike.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

We geolocated it, and it points to the flight path, and the delay between the moment of the explosion and sound of explosion puts it at the same distance from the camera as the flight path:

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1215386776673640449
https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1215387380749828097

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 9, 2020

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Big news for anyone with money invested in Russian rockets.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Just realised that unlike MH17 they would have survived the missile strikes and been conscious as the plane crashed. gently caress.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

Just realised that unlike MH17 they would have survived the missile strikes and been conscious as the plane crashed. gently caress.

Why does it matter lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Well, gently caress.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Thats terrifying. I am not sure it is better or worse, but it is terrifying.

Brown Moses posted:

We geolocated it, and it points to the flight path, and the delay between the moment of the explosion and sound of explosion puts it at the same distance from the camera as the flight path:

A bit of "Don't believe your lying eyes!" in those comments, but honestly less than i thought there'd be.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 minutes!
I saw a comment there were TWO hits? A first hit on the right engine, then a second?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Rust Martialis posted:

I saw a comment there were TWO hits? A first hit on the right engine, then a second?
Also in the comments: plane shot down by Ukraine to blame Russia

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
That'd be consistent with the two missile launches.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

sports posted:

Why does it matter lol

People melted to death dude. You might want to get rid of the oil candles Mom keeps in the basement or youd share the same fatem

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

It's not uncommon to fire two missiles to ensure a kill. Haven't seen enough to confirm that's what happened here yet with the info available, though. Iran is doubling down on calling it a mechanical failure so it might take a while to get details on the shoot down.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
One of the questions I keep seeing on social media is how did this video come about as in why would someone be filming a random plane at six in the morning? And I can't really come up with anything better than 'it's a huge coincidence' right now.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

If anything, Iran says that Ukrainian government already is in on the crash investigation, and they are offering France, Sweden, USA, and Canada to get involved if they so desire.

Paladinus posted:

One of the questions I keep seeing on social media is how did this video come about as in why would someone be filming a random plane at six in the morning? And I can't really come up with anything better than 'it's a huge coincidence' right now.

I’ve heard the version that it was attracted by the first launch making noise/sight.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Judging by the photos Christo Grozev got it looks like be might have been a night guard in a building site.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

People melted to death dude. You might want to get rid of the oil candles Mom keeps in the basement or youd share the same fatem

You're comparing one route of firey death to another. Seems useless considering they all die in horrific fashion.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Paladinus posted:

Everyone's got a camera in their pocket nowadays, and while my aging smartphone is slow enough that whatever I want to film is generally over by the time the camera mode pops up, that's not necessarily the case for other people. Even in poor countries besieged by the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cat Mattress posted:

Everyone's got a camera in their pocket nowadays, and while my aging smartphone is slow enough that whatever I want to film is generally over by the time the camera mode pops up, that's not necessarily the case for other people. Even in poor countries besieged by the US.

That would be a good enough explanation if there was an earlier missile launch. But if there was only one missile, it's not about speed, it's about the fact that someone just randomly started filming a plane.

Some people also point out that it's weird the person didn't react to the explosion, but I honestly don't know how I would react to something like that, so I'm less concerned about that one.