Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I just picked this up and I'm bad at it after putting a couple dozen hours into chivalry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Takes a while to get into the literal swing of things. Most important mechanic to get your head wrapped around is parrying / chambering / feinting. You may get more value out of hammering them out against a bot, than learning in a random online match, cause the rinse repeat of dying can make practice frustrating. Once you have the basics down, you can hop into a multiplayer game and start putting them to use and be surprised at how bad a majority of players are when you throw these basic stuff at them.

My games usually have a cyclical pattern where one match I'm an absolute god, and the next I'm poo poo tier cannon fodder. I'm dumb and throw myself against the toughest guy even when he's got me 11 - 0, I just like getting that little bit closer to killing him every time I stumble on him in the fight.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Qubee posted:

Takes a while to get into the literal swing of things. Most important mechanic to get your head wrapped around is parrying / chambering / feinting. You may get more value out of hammering them out against a bot, than learning in a random online match, cause the rinse repeat of dying can make practice frustrating. Once you have the basics down, you can hop into a multiplayer game and start putting them to use and be surprised at how bad a majority of players are when you throw these basic stuff at them.

My games usually have a cyclical pattern where one match I'm an absolute god, and the next I'm poo poo tier cannon fodder. I'm dumb and throw myself against the toughest guy even when he's got me 11 - 0, I just like getting that little bit closer to killing him every time I stumble on him in the fight.

So what is baby's first weapon? Is it the long sword or or one of the axes? I see alot of people spam the rapier and I'm getting flashbacks to dark souls multiplayer meta.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Rapier is a newbie trap tbh, a zwei is a good mix of actually good and easy enough to use with enough mechanical depth to get better on, imo. Personally, I just main halberd.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Rapier is a newbie trap tbh, a zwei is a good mix of actually good and easy enough to use with enough mechanical depth to get better on, imo. Personally, I just main halberd.

I played it with a bit and it was pretty good, had a good feel and it sorta felt like an old glove but I was unsure

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Also can someone explain to me if it's ever worth it to have a backup weapon when I can just pick one off the ground?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Lawman 0 posted:

Also can someone explain to me if it's ever worth it to have a backup weapon when I can just pick one off the ground?

yeah not really. that's points that can go toward armor or perks or throwables

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Lawman 0 posted:

So what is baby's first weapon? Is it the long sword or or one of the axes? I see alot of people spam the rapier and I'm getting flashbacks to dark souls multiplayer meta.
Spear and shield. Focus on stabbing people who are already engaged and back off from anyone else. This will teach you a lot of the basics.

Qubee posted:

Takes a while to get into the literal swing of things.
Yes. Another critical skill is being able to put up with the insufferable social rejects and racist, misogynistic, xenophobic nazi assholes who make up a large chunk of the people who play this game. I am not sure if Mordhau has the worst community of any game I have ever played but if it is not tied for worst, then it is #2. The only thing to make it worse is that the developers seem pretty much find with this.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

Might be unpopular opinion but I don't really think there's babby's first weapon, it's whatever you have the most fun using. I personally found the rapier to be my fav weapon starting out cause being Mr Pokey McPokerson gattling gun of stabs was great laughs, and throwing in feints makes witnessing brain farts a common occurrence. Plus making opponent's blood boil cause you poo poo talk them via taunting with the foppish high pitch voice is just A+. I've never really enjoyed the long two handed weapons. I just made a bunch of different classes and would swap around whenever I felt like it. Sometimes I'd wanna be Tanky Turtle Man with a huge shield and short sword, other times I'd wanna be Unga Bunga Town and rock the peasant with a club. Then it's just seeing other peoples builds and copying that. Spear and shield is amazing if you wanna stop dying and help your team out, you get to just watch from the sides and poke people in the eye whilst Cannon Fodder Teammate #386 gets obliterated in front of you. Really, most any weapon will be passable if you've got the basic mechanics down. It's just a slight learning curve getting a feel for each one, as they all handle differently and are utilized in distinct ways.

Diogines posted:

Another critical skill is being able to put up with the insufferable social rejects and racist, misogynistic, xenophobic nazi assholes who make up a large chunk of the people who play this game. I am not sure if Mordhau has the worst community of any game I have ever played but if it is not tied for worst, then it is #2. The only thing to make it worse is that the developers seem pretty much find with this.

People in this game are actual degenerates. I've had so much racial abuse thrown at me cause my Steam profile name is slightly ethnic because the only friends I have on Steam are real life friends. Managed to get someone banned, allegedly. Devs said he'd be banned from the game but I never found out if it actually worked.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Qubee posted:

People in this game are actual degenerates. I've had so much racial abuse thrown at me cause my Steam profile name is slightly ethnic because the only friends I have on Steam are real life friends. Managed to get someone banned, allegedly. Devs said he'd be banned from the game but I never found out if it actually worked.

National Game ID attached to your social security number, instant and permanent ban from that individual game for excessive Gamerness, overwhelmingly harsh and unappealable penalties for using someone else's ID

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I put the game down because of the chuds as as well as a lack of content. the basement dwellers made me wish for a robust PvE mode of any kind other than the garbage horde mode.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I just continually post "im gay" in all chat then start dumping on whoever the most vile piece of poo poo starts speaking up while continually taunting them about their ineptitude at actually playing. Makes me feel a bit better about it all.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
can you still only play as a white dude in this game

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

I put the game down because of the chuds as as well as a lack of content. the basement dwellers made me wish for a robust PvE mode of any kind other than the garbage horde mode.

Same. I was really into Mordhau for like a month but the non-stop torrent of edgelord nazis got old real quick.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

Gobblecoque posted:

Same. I was really into Mordhau for like a month but the non-stop torrent of edgelord nazis got old real quick.

Same, really - I loved dueling in chivalry a few years back and got into mordhau after it came out, put enough hours in to become competent but I just got so burnt out on the nazis. It's really unbearable, I tried picking it up again recently and played for maybe a week before feeling the exact same way which is a shame because I love the game mechanics.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

can you still only play as a white dude in this game

Of course. When gaming sites were covering the huge level of racism in this game, the devs have said that they intend to implement different skin tones and add in a female body type at some point, but I would not be surprised whatsoever to find out they're in the same "knights and swords are white cultural history" train and never had any intention of following through

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

some of the skin tones get darker than they look in the character editor, it's not a 100% accurate representation of what you'll look like in-game. Cloth colors tend to be a little more saturated in-game, for instance.. You'll have to play with it though since the color picker is useless for skin tones (and metals). You can't quite get chocolate tho.

There's a female rig in the files but it never went anywhere. Didn't ever get any facial data hooked up to it and most of the equipment skinned to it looks horrible but outside of not having a face and randomly crashing your game it worked okay lol

It took the devs way too long to implement basic chat filtering features and that drove away a lot of casual players, which are important for mass-combat mosh-pit games to actually be fun. You're always going to get some dickhead spammers or angry nerds spewing racist poo poo to rile people up but without any way to actually silence them (you had to physically target their character, in-game, to mute them for the longest time lmao) it was just a constant barrage of mood-ruining vile poo poo. Sure you could turn the chat off but then you'd miss that actual poo poo-talking and chatter that makes being good at sword-man games worth it.

It's a shame they decided to stop trying to reign it in and just decided to ignore it, there's a lot of fun to have in Mordhau and all of the new updates look really cool. The new castle map is great, they've added new game modes to old maps, the new weapons skins are cool, etc. But anyone worth playing against is long gone.

e: lmao I just decided to check out the last couple of updates to see what tweaks they've made for the combat and to see if anyone of my prior annoyances got ironed out, and apparently they recently made kicks parry-able, and now you don't get stunned when you're kicked while holding a shield block, but only flinched.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 31, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
It's a PvP game first and foremost, no doubt, but better PvE modes as a palate cleanser or aperitif would be nice.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Did they ever put out mod/mapping tools? All this game needed was more maps and they have been farting around with the tools for a long rear end time.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

No but that hasn't stopped people. Unreal is a pretty easy engine to force stuff into, all things considered, and custom maps starting popping up a while ago. Only downside is they can't have any objectives, but there's a bunch of dueling and FFA maps out at the moment.

If the mod tools are ever released at this point I'll be surprised. They've seriously run out of steam, and seem to be on the "occasional weapon skin and random major balance tweaks without consulting testers in order to arbitrarily keep current players on their toes" stage of development.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Lawman 0 posted:

For new players I would suggest any of the big slow weapons. They are generally fun to use and you can have a decent impact just swinging them around.

Long sword is probably the most "balanced" weapon but it really shines when you get good at the more complex mechanics like feints, morphs, drags, and accels. War Axe and Battle Axe are probably a better choice for a new player looking for a mid range weapon.

Best advice though is just to experiment and find your preferred playstyle.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Battle axe is pretty great, but overall, I think eveningstar is probably the best weapon. Costs more points, but the damage vs shields helps a lot. It also makes that nice crunch sound when smashing someone’s head.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

new player chat: i just hit level 60 yesterday. i'm no expert at the game, but i'm usually somewhere in the top 5-10 players on my team.
when i first started playing, i got frustrated using big two-handed weapons because theyre unforgiving against decent to good players. swings are slow and easy to parry and they're big stamina drains, especially if you miss. when you start getting better at feints and morphs, however, big two-handers can be real powerful. there's nothing quite like baiting out a block with a maul overhead feint.

as a new player, the first sword i took a shine to was the bastard sword. it's versatile (good slash damage, good stab damage), quick enough to keep your opponent on the backfoot and great with a heater or buckler. the reach is a little anemic, but i think new players should be learning to get in close and be aggressive. Rapier is also an ok choice for beginners, but stablords have taught everyone pretty quickly how to chamber rapier stabs, and the slash damage is pretty weak.

currently, my favorite try-hard 1handed setup is 3-3-1, messer + buckler + bandage. Buckler is great for beginners because it's like parry training-wheels: widens your parry window so you can learn how to anticipate direction and swing type without getting too punished. Messer is slow, but a total beast if you can drag or accel. The faster variant is 1-1-1 messer buckler bloodlust.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 31, 2019

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
I'm at level 58 currently and feel I'm ok at the game. My goto build used to be the super tryhard "GIRU special" which is 3/3/3 bloodlust + cleaver and a few perks, then 3/3/2 bloodlust+cleaver & 1 more perk. Bloodlust is way too much of a crutch though, so now I've settled on 3/3/2 axe+firebomb, with the perks being friendly/fireproof/(tenacious or wrecker)/cat. Extremely versatile, as the axe can used used as a thrown weapon once I've picked up something with a little more range. Impossible to do morphs with it but it's great at accels. The fire bomb just give you way more options.

Aside from virtually no regular output from the devs, the sweatlords just loving kill this game dead. With the Christmas sale all the lvl 90+ duelists and sweats crawled out of their ghastly modded hovels to regularly reap 70+ kills in a round for their pyramid of default archer skulls. Which they're entitled to do, but they're infuriating to fight against. I'm 300 hours in and have some experience, but it's like they're reading my mind. Feints? Not gonna work, sometimes they still manage to block even after I bait a parry from them*. Chamber, they counter with an unreadable insta-accel*. I can't really block into his drags like I used to in Chiv. Whenever a guy knows he's hosed up he'll do that crouch, 180, groundsniff move to dodge perfectly, sometimes still blocking when his back is turned and respond with a perfectly timed maul lunge which quadrupled his range, throws me off and hits my head (they've perfect aim by the way). Why the lunge nerf was reversed is beyond me. For the tryhards who always do wonky animations I just disengage and gangbang them at every opportunity.

*I kinda realise that accels are the name of the game here versus the sweatlords, but I'm too loving old for that poo poo. Feinting a chamber actually give you a good chance of throwing a sweatlord off (to them it's a criminal use of stamina), but to capitalise on it consistently you need to be able to insta-accel. Which I can't do. Mouse recommendation to replace my Corsair Harpoon?

Also, loving introduce autobalance you fucks. No autobalance in this game is approaching :pgi: levels of retardation.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 31, 2019

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

e; quote is not edit.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the hand axe is a beast of a weapon and something that always found its way into my loadouts. Also the 1 handed mace is a timeless classic but I think it was adjusted a while back so that you couldn't 2-shot heavy armor unless both hits were the head, which is bogus. You used to be able to body-shot for 50 with it.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

i always felt like the range on the mace is the worst part of it. so many times ive thought i was in range of a headshot, only to whiff completely. getting so close that your opponent cant even see your weapon is good, but it also means i cant see theirs.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

The trick to enjoying this game is to disable the chat window entirely and only communicate with mute gestures and audio lines

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I just continually post "im gay" in all chat then start dumping on whoever the most vile piece of poo poo starts speaking up while continually taunting them about their ineptitude at actually playing. Makes me feel a bit better about it all.

Pls stop stealing my gimmick

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Jade Mage posted:

The trick to enjoying this game is to disable the chat window entirely and only communicate with mute gestures and audio lines

i do declare that you ooze manliness

*points furiously at tree stump*

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Jade Mage posted:

More or less. That and going with dumb gimmick builds like three daggers and going for headshots.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Is autobalance licensed or something? New Year's for me has been nothing but one team stacked to poo poo with sweatlords and the other camped into spawn. Legit getting sick to poo poo at how teams are stacked with Level 100+ autismal War Axe+Bloodlust fuckers who use their lunge combos like dodge.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

build a joke character like shrek or mario and run around duels servers causing mayhem; download lutebot and add some flavor to the battlefield.

it helps when im getting frustrated

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Wait so if kicks don’t stun shield holders any more does that mean if you kick a person holding a shield up you don’t get a guaranteed attack?

You kick and then just reset to neutral?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
They also changed shields so that the held block on the big shields is a separate mode now, that's supposedly more restrictive as I understood it. With the normal key they just get a more generous timed parry now.

I have not played since the update so I can't say how this turns out in practice.

EDIT: Also you can now supposedly throw the targe and buckler, so have fun being Captain America.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Nordick posted:

They also changed shields so that the held block on the big shields is a separate mode now, that's supposedly more restrictive as I understood it. With the normal key they just get a more generous timed parry now.

I have not played since the update so I can't say how this turns out in practice.

EDIT: Also you can now supposedly throw the targe and buckler, so have fun being Captain America.

I got domed by some guy doing that and it was funny as poo poo

Muffin Rhino
Dec 31, 2006

I am SO gay for Doctor Cox.

Lawman 0 posted:

I was struggling till I bit the bullet and found a duel server.

Just took every fight I could, mostly 3/2/2 longsword or greatsword, and got my rear end kicked A LOT. I find these two weapons in particular are very... basic. They don't have any real "gimmick" like maul-headshots, zwei drags, or rapier-stab-feints, so you learn weapon fundamentals and footwork.

edit: longsword does have the mordhau grip alt mode too, which (in my experience) can throw off even veterans.

Muffin Rhino fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 1, 2020

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

Heater + Messer has been my main since launch. I like to call it the Hot Mess. Firebomb optional.

Heater/Kite are still over powered, only differently now that their parry had a 50% longer duration, and their held block wins every stamina battle.

The 1h Messer has similar range and timing as the Longsword, but favors strikes over stabs. It's great for riposting through 1vX, which is easier with the Heater. It also has one of the best stamina drains in-game at 20.

Definitely recommend this build for new players and seasoned duelists alike. Armor / perks are whatever, but I like 2/3/1

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Fred Dawes posted:

Heater + Messer has been my main since launch. I like to call it the Hot Mess. Firebomb optional.

Heater/Kite are still over powered, only differently now that their parry had a 50% longer duration, and their held block wins every stamina battle.

The 1h Messer has similar range and timing as the Longsword, but favors strikes over stabs. It's great for riposting through 1vX, which is easier with the Heater. It also has one of the best stamina drains in-game at 20.

Definitely recommend this build for new players and seasoned duelists alike. Armor / perks are whatever, but I like 2/3/1

Messer and buckler on a light armor character was the most successful build I ever played, messer and heater is probably just as good since it allows allows for full armor.

Seriously the messer is brokenly good.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Jabarto posted:

Messer and buckler on a light armor character was the most successful build I ever played, messer and heater is probably just as good since it allows allows for full armor.

Seriously the messer is brokenly good.

The messer always seems to have four or five inches more reach than it should

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
full spear for life, reach is king for me and i only want to have to push one button for people to die