Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
the galaxy isnt free. the floor of the free market must be litterd with the oil of droids
rey 'palpatine' skywalker is no jedi i know of . she is a psychopath and probably a sith as well :D :D
tax breaks and free movement of capital, not religion and cults ,ok

praise grievous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon
May 22, 2003

2house2fly posted:

It's maybe more correct to say that Adam Driver is the best actor in the entire franchise.

Well yeah that also helps. There is something about his performance when he has the helmet on, I don't know if it's voice modulation or what. It just feels like there's such sadness behind his voice that comes through with every line.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

2house2fly posted:

It's maybe more correct to say that Adam Driver is the best actor in the entire franchise.

His value over replacement is off the charts. Imagine how bad these movies are if you swap him out for, say, Miles Teller.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Adam Driver is a god. He can act circles around the entire cast.

I just watched him in Marriage Story and he deserves an Oscar.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

ShoogaSlim posted:

big agree. they wasted him at the end. the movie is called rise of skywalker and he's a loving skywalker. all 9 movies revolve around that bloodline and because we need to have a female protagonist let's just let someone steal the name and end this all on a severely unsatisfying and wtf note

He's a Solo :goonsay:

Lemon posted:

Well yeah that also helps. There is something about his performance when he has the helmet on, I don't know if it's voice modulation or what. It just feels like there's such sadness behind his voice that comes through with every line.

Look at the last 30 seconds of this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fffv200a3CM

Driver has to communicate surprise, fury, fear, anxiety, disappointment, failure, barely checked rage, and an growing desperation through a loving mask. LOOK AT IT. The framing of the scene helps but it doesn't work if Driver's physicality doesn't sell the initial entry and stalking around the chair. He is legitimately scary and tragic in TFA to such an extent that everything that comes after feels lacking in comparison. Driver does great with what he's given and Kylo being the focus means that he got more development than any of the other cast but man what a waste.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Kylo Ren/Ben Solo is an interesting character concept that Adam Driver amplifies with his acting, yeah. It's a shame the way the ended his character arc though...
Speaking of, when I was over at my parents' place for Christmas, I spent the 3 days I was there writing an extended alternate ending to TROS where Ben lives because I'm a huge turbonerd and also because there wasn't much else to do, haha... it ended up being 29 pages long, in script format lol.

So, if anyone wants to read some fanfic, it's here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jq9TY7NH6xBZTstRJc-vkBvLI-AjYbpR/view

Mind the grammar and actual formatting though; I'm a scrub when it comes to that. Also, I leaned in pretty heavy on the "Rey & Ben" romance angle, because I like their character dynamic a lot, and I'm a fan of the whole "Force Dyad" concept; if you're not into that you probably won't like it. But other notable changes I made to the ending were:
  • Making Rose and Finn an official thing
  • Giving Rose a bit more dialogue
  • Putting Finn's Force sensitivity front and center (he mind controls Poe at one point, in a comedic beat)
  • Rey and Rose share some dialogue together where they geek out over modifying the Falcon
  • Young Ben flashbacks
  • Rey and Finn are now hosts to galactic refugees on Ach-To

[edit] TLDR; I wrote an ending where Ben becomes "Punished Solo" and exiles himself to Wild Space.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 29, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

No, he just chokes one from hundreds of miles away without moving a muscle. Far less impressive, really.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wDZ3dutSWdM

That one is in the compilation I posted and again, it doesn’t contradict SMG’s reading of the scene, which is what I was responding to. Vader’s reputation is so powerful, people work themselves into hysterical death just by talking with the guy over the phone.

At no point does he use telekinesis or other mutant powers during those scenes.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ruddiger posted:

That one is in the compilation I posted and again, it doesn’t contradict SMG’s reading of the scene, which is what I was responding to. Vader’s reputation is so powerful, people work themselves into hysterical death just by talking with the guy over the phone.

At no point does he use telekinesis or other mutant powers during those scenes.

It’s a reading that goes against what’s communicated by the guy’s voice and mannerisms, i.e. he doesn’t give any indication that he has anything to be worried about until Vader gives a very violent argument to the contrary.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

It’s a reading that goes against what’s communicated by the guy’s voice and mannerisms, i.e. he doesn’t give any indication that he has anything to be worried about until Vader gives a very violent argument to the contrary.

Did you watch the clip? The choking admiral stops talking and gets tongue tied as soon as the bullshit starts leaving his mouth. Vader makes no hint of movement and ignores the stammering idiot who’s literally choking on his own excuses and just gives orders to the other guy.

Vader doesn’t even do the stupid hand wavy thing that the Sequel Trilogy glommed onto.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
What's really happening when Vader appears to be using telekinesis to fling objects at Luke?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Just watched the movie, it was sure A Movie. I thought it was only maybe middling-dumb as far as Star Wars movies go. It fooled me into thinking they were going to do something interesting once or twice.

teagone posted:

Kylo Ren/Ben Solo is an interesting character concept that Adam Driver amplifies with his acting, yeah. It's a shame the way the ended his character arc though...
Speaking of, when I was over at my parents' place for Christmas, I spent the 3 days I was there writing an extended alternate ending to TROS where Ben lives because I'm a huge turbonerd and also because there wasn't much else to do, haha... it ended up being 29 pages long, in script format lol.

So, if anyone wants to read some fanfic, it's here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jq9TY7NH6xBZTstRJc-vkBvLI-AjYbpR/view

Mind the grammar and actual formatting though; I'm a scrub when it comes to that. Also, I leaned in pretty heavy on the "Rey & Ben" romance angle, because I like their character dynamic a lot, and I'm a fan of the whole "Force Dyad" concept; if you're not into that you probably won't like it. But some other notable changes I made to the ending were:
  • Making Rose and Finn an official thing
  • Giving Rose a bit more dialogue
  • Putting Finn's Force sensitivity front and center (he mind controls Poe at one point, in a comedic beat)
  • Rey and Rose share some dialogue together where they geek out over modifying the Falcon
  • Young Ben flashbacks

[edit] TLDR; I wrote an ending where Ben becomes "Punished Solo" and exiles himself to Wild Space.

lol I'm not reading 29 pages of fanfic but yes this is basically what I came here to say. For a second I really thought they might make Rey's death stick and have Ben gently caress off to be a weird space hermit a la Yoda/Obi-Wan/Luke, with the implication that he eventually winds up passing along his knowledge to found a new Jedi tradition. The movie's called Rise of Skywalker, there is precisely one (1) living Skywalker descendant and he is rising both literally from the bottom of a hell cliff and metaphorically from the depths of his darkness, it writes itself.

If they let Rey blow up Chewie for real and actually sacrifice herself I would have had a hell of a lot more respect for the movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

2house2fly posted:

What's really happening when Vader appears to be using telekinesis to fling objects at Luke?

The sequel trilogy confirmed that Luke lies his rear end of and exaggerates key details of stories. He’s the only one to relay the events of what happened and is the worst kind of unreliable narrator.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 29, 2019

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Kylo chokes a guy and lifts him and slams him into the ceiling. Is he more powerful than Vader? Did he secretly install ejector seats under each of those dudes in case he wants to make a point? Is that guy so scared of make believe force powers that he jumped into the ceiling himself?

Lots to ponder

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Straight White Shark posted:

If they let Rey blow up Chewie for real and actually sacrifice herself I would have had a hell of a lot more respect for the movie.

This is an interesting take that I never thought of. I like it. And yeah... I realize 29 pages is a bit :psyduck:, but to be fair it's also script format in 12pt courier new lol.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

TheKingofSprings posted:

No, he just chokes one from hundreds of miles away without moving a muscle. Far less impressive, really.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wDZ3dutSWdM

That really gives more credence to the idea that he's using the power of suggestion rather than actually projecting small-f force from his body.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hobo Clown posted:

Kylo chokes a guy and lifts him and slams him into the ceiling. Is he more powerful than Vader? Did he secretly install ejector seats under each of those dudes in case he wants to make a point? Is that guy so scared of make believe force powers that he jumped into the ceiling himself?

Lots to ponder

We’ve already established that the sequel trilogy is full of super powered mutants. This conversation is about the mysticism of the force in the original trilogy. Try to keep up.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I feel like my entire idea about Reylo ends with 'Wait he was an integral part of an organization that killed billions without really doing anything to even try to stop it. And also all the horrific poo poo he did himself.'

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

ruddiger posted:

The sequel trilogy confirmed that Luke lies his rear end of and exaggerates key details of stories. He’s the only one to relay the events of what happened and is the worst kind of unreliable narrator.

You don’t need to be SMGs little toady and echo everything he says.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gorelab posted:

I feel like my entire idea about Reylo ends with 'Wait he was an integral part of an organization that killed billions without really doing anything to even try to stop it. And also all the horrific poo poo he did himself.'

I address this idea in my fanfic script. Kylo Ren did all those things but Rey, and ultimately Ben, "killed" Kylo Ren. He's dead now. The whole scene with Han Solo addresses that. I play on the idea of Ben's soul fracturing away from the mask of Ren, and that he's not the same man, but he is also broken. But yeah, I have Poe basically say that Kylo Ren should be tried for his actions as a war criminal despite Rey pleading with him that Kylo Ren is dead. Finn ends up diffusing the situation, and suggests that Ben should instead be exiled to the regions far beyond the Outer Rim as punishment.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

sponges posted:

You don’t need to be SMGs little toady and echo everything he says.

lol ok

e:

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 29, 2019

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A New Hope establishes telepathy, both sensing and influencing emotions. The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded. Vader made the dude want to stop breathing and could've made him straight up asphyxiate to death.

The Empire Strikes Back mixes in telekinesis, ghostly apparitions, premonitions, and the ability to Jump Good, but all of these are only ever done when Luke and another Force user (I'm counting R2-D2 here) are the only witnesses. It's not until Return of the Jedi that anyone does it in front of muggles. Also the Emperor can hate someone so hard that it literally, physically electrocutes them.

In the prequels, they're jumping and running around super fast and levitating objects pretty casually, and they talk about clairvoyance and precognition in explicit terms. But it's nothing fundamentally new.

Kylo Ren establishes himself as a major powerhouse mostly because of the great detail with which he's able to read minds - he's taking things that have been done, but doing them more finely. Rey, too, is uncommonly sensitive, getting a very clear vision of things she cannot have known when she touches Anakin's sword. It's implied that the Darth Vader mask has done the same.

Snoke making Rey and Ben see each other, and then Luke making others see him, is a new and impressive application of what still remains fundamentally a mental power. It's not until The Rise of Skywalker that things go really off the rails.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

ruddiger posted:

At the point where parts of the film a story someone tells to someone else after the fact, why bother to say "these people are actually dying psychosomatically" instead of just "Vader shot those guys and then pretended to have used the force afterwards"

Gorelab posted:

that's why my dream ending would have had him live, he sees the error of his ways or whatever but doesn't feel he can just join the good guys so he becomes a wandering ronin performing heroic deeds around the galaxy to atone for his evils

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

2house2fly posted:

that's why my dream ending would have had him live, he sees the error of his ways or whatever but doesn't feel he can just join the good guys so he becomes a wandering ronin performing heroic deeds around the galaxy to atone for his evils

This is exactly what I had in mind when I thought the idea of "Punished Solo" was pretty captivating for an ending. Going that route ends Ben's arc nicely in the films imo, and you can leave it at just that, but it also leaves his future open to interpretation.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

2house2fly posted:

At the point where parts of the film a story someone tells to someone else after the fact, why bother to say "these people are actually dying psychosomatically" instead of just "Vader shot those guys and then pretended to have used the force afterwards"

I want to see Space Nuremberg. But I'm a weirdo who'd actually find a weird space legal drama like that interesting.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Gorelab posted:

I want to see Space Nuremberg. But I'm a weirdo who'd actually find a weird space legal drama like that interesting.

That would be a sweet ending for Hux. I like him being a spy, but it would have been fun if he lived and at the end they said "even though you were a spy we're still going to put you on trial" and he would make the face he made when the rebel fleet jumped away in TLJ. Him and Richard E Grant both surviving and their last scene in shackles together in a war crimes tribunal would be ftw

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

2house2fly posted:

I like the idea of Ben having to live with the enormity of what he's done but return full circle to his namesake and just make him an ascetic sage. The Jedi are at their best when they're being mysterious hermit monks instead of superheroes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Another change I made to the ending in my fanfic script was having Threepio give Chewie Han's medal at Leia's request after she passed. That scene should've been poignant as hell, but TROS somehow managed to make it the most groanworthy loving thing because Maz is such an empty-rear end character.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

2house2fly posted:

“You know, I did feel something. I could almost see the remote.”

Force powers in the OT operate according to this logic of “as if”: although Luke is blindfolded, he feels as if he can see the toy (because he’s listening so intently).

Anyone who’s played a sport knows the feeling of being in the zone, where it’s as if the ball is pulled into your hand. You’re not merely catching the ball; you’re in such control that it’s as if reality itself is bending to your whims. Even though it’s not objectively true, it’s an unshakable feeling.

This is half the point of making Anakin a podracer, as it happens. His reflexes are so fast that it’s as if he can predict the future. Lots of people feel this way, of course (Donnie Yen in Rogue One, is just one example) - but then the midichlorian tests prove that (in Anakin’s case) this is objective fact.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 30, 2019

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

sorry, really dumb question, but where exactly did rey get the two blue light sabres from? luke lost the blue one, which belonged to anakin in ESB.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Maz is using scab labor to make knock off lightsabers and is about to flood the market now that she has an established user base.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It got found offscreen and given to Rey in episode 7. The other one belonged to Leia when she was doing Jedi training with Luke in her 20s

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

sorry, really dumb question, but where exactly did rey get the two blue light sabres from? luke lost the blue one, which belonged to anakin in ESB.

Luke gave Rey Leia's saber before she went to confront Palpatine. Luke kept it with him on Ach-To.

Maz had Anakin's saber in TFA, which she gave to Finn, which Kylo Ren tried to take, but then Rey said naah its mine. No one knows where Maz got Anakin's saber from because JJ forgot he put that concept in his mystery box.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Was the lightsaber Obiwan used when Vader killed him his own in that film, or was that something retconned between movies? I only remember the one lightsaber in that movie

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

2house2fly posted:

Was the lightsaber Obiwan used when Vader killed him his own in that film, or was that something retconned between movies? I only remember the one lightsaber in that movie

It was his own https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Obi-Wan_Kenobi%27s_third_lightsaber

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Hope 3P0 finds out they wiped him for absolutely no reason since Rey decided they needed the real macguffin not just his translation about 20 seconds after his heroic sacrifice.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DynamicSloth posted:

Hope 3P0 finds out they wiped him for absolutely no reason since Rey decided they needed the real macguffin not just his translation about 20 seconds after his heroic sacrifice.

I think they still would’ve needed the translation unless they happened to meet someone else who spoke Sith

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

The Little Death posted:

Guys I want you to know that Chewbacca is apolitical. Rebels, Empire, he seeks the middle path.

Whoever wrote this needs to be fired.

:drat:

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

General Dog posted:

I think they still would’ve needed the translation unless they happened to meet someone else who spoke Sith

Also they could have just asked the new pylon droid toy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

Whoever wrote this needs to be guillotined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

2house2fly posted:

It got found offscreen and given to Rey in episode 7. The other one belonged to Leia when she was doing Jedi training with Luke in her 20s

teagone posted:

Luke gave Rey Leia's saber before she went to confront Palpatine. Luke kept it with him on Ach-To.

Maz had Anakin's saber in TFA, which she gave to Finn, which Kylo Ren tried to take, but then Rey said naah its mine. No one knows where Maz got Anakin's saber from because JJ forgot he put that concept in his mystery box.

oh yeah, that's right.

wait...but didn't anakin's light sabre get broken in TLJ?