Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
No shame in dying to Tanova, I think everyone has been killed by her at least once, she's pretty brutal for how early she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I play solo a lot was was surprised to find myself mazed once with an instant game over because I was the only party member. You also get game overs if you are charmed and the only party member. Vampires are dicks.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
William the Elf Fighter/Mage was acid arrowed by Zordral at the Carnival. This one hurt, guys. I walked in, thought I would be able to weather the storm, and just paid for my hubris. I'm going to take a step back and come back in a few days.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Lucas Archer posted:

William the Elf Fighter/Mage was acid arrowed by Zordral at the Carnival. This one hurt, guys. I walked in, thought I would be able to weather the storm, and just paid for my hubris. I'm going to take a step back and come back in a few days.

I feel ya. That's what got the original Thog. Those early spell-slingers can be a real crapshoot.

Anyway, post-Ironman Flint has cleared out the vampires without any problems, took care of the (human trafficking???) sidequests in the pre-spellhold villiage, mugged a loony wizard for his pass to Spellhold, and then... Surprise! Iroinicus is running the joint and stole Flint's soul. He's still kicking though and is working his way through the riddle maze.

Stray thoughts:

All of Flint's saves are negative now. That seems pretty good?

Ioun stones feel a little risky to put on frontliners. Crits really seem like they can mess up your day.

Also I figured out that Clay Golems need to be hit with magical blunt weapons. The golem wasn't doing a lot of damage, but it was taking forever until my fighter cleric got involved with his mace of disruption and made short work of it. Glad I had it equipped because I wouldn't have figured it out otherwise.

I'm really reluctant to change up the party after I get comfortable with something, so I kicked Imoen to the curb right after rescuing her. I did feel a little bad about it, but I'm sure shell be fine.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

A lot of spells force you to save at a penalty, so further negative numbers are to the good. Also beware of imprisonment which has no save and is an instant game over. I think only demiliches cast it though.

Did they change bg2ee so that Ioun stones don’t protect against crits? In original BG2 they did, as did the mask you build in firkraags dungeon though I’m pretty sure both were bugs.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Capfalcon posted:

I'm really reluctant to change up the party after I get comfortable with something, so I kicked Imoen to the curb right after rescuing her. I did feel a little bad about it, but I'm sure shell be fine.

You monster.

FairGame posted:

Did they change bg2ee so that Ioun stones don't protect against crits? In original BG2 they did, as did the mask you build in firkraags dungeon though I’m pretty sure both were bugs.

That's weird. My (admittedly bad) memory says they didn't protect against crits classic bg2 either. Maybe that was due to one of the zillion fan patches and bugfixes I habitually used.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

FairGame posted:

A lot of spells force you to save at a penalty, so further negative numbers are to the good. Also beware of imprisonment which has no save and is an instant game over. I think only demiliches cast it though.

Did they change bg2ee so that Ioun stones don’t protect against crits? In original BG2 they did, as did the mask you build in firkraags dungeon though I’m pretty sure both were bugs.

Elder Orbs also imprison. Some mages like the guy that you cast freedom on in the Underdark also cast imprison.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The boss in the Planar Prison got Keldorn with an Imprison during one of my runs last year though that might have been one of SCS"s little changes.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
In non-EE BG2 ioun stones and anything else for that matter protected against crits because the head slot was hardcoded to provide crit protection if it was occupied.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

docbeard posted:

The boss in the Planar Prison got Keldorn with an Imprison during one of my runs last year though that might have been one of SCS"s little changes.

I think thats SCS.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Tuxedo Ted posted:

You monster.

But I already HAVE a mage/thief and the idea of shuffling all the gear around and going to a much weaker spellbook? Look, I rescued her and thats all that matters right?

Also, I almost killed the planar sphere guy when I realized that I couldn't just let him into the party and then go into the sphere.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 28, 2019

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Alright, by popular request including by the OP, another go at an ironman run in Baldur's Gate Reloaded for Neverwinter Nights 2 with Varisa Stabberton. This time I'll be delving a bit more into the mechanics of it and how they differ from the Infinity Engine games, for those who haven't really done much D&D-related poo poo outside of Baldur's Gate.

For this run, I'm going with a Swashbuckler, a class with no direct counterpart in the IE games, but most similar to the thief kit of the same name — a Dexterity- and Intelligence-based melee fighter.

At 1st level, all characters get to select a feat, something that serves to customize a character a bit and add some usually-minor ability. In this case, I'm taking the Dodge feat for a bit more AC. As a Swashbuckler, Varisa also gets Weapon Finesse for free, which lets her use Dexterity for to-hit rolls instead of Strength with appropriate weapons.

Humans (and one of the halfling subraces) also get an additional feat at level 1. For this, I'm picking two-weapon fighting, since it'll help turn Varisa into a whirlwind of stabbing.

And here's her starting ability scores. Unlike the IE games, which use (somewhat modified) 2e rules, NWN2 and BGR use (somewhat modified) 3.5e rules, providing ability score bonuses that are much less all over the place; namely, every even-numbered ability score provides another +1 bonus, with 10 as the base. It also uses a point-buy system rather than rolling for stats. You'll also notice Varisa's alignment there has a pair of numbers after it, 50/50. Unlike the IE games, alignment is fluid, and can be modified toward lawful or chaotic, good or evil, depending on your actions. In this case, Varisa is perfectly neutral, since that's what I picked starting out. In exchange, there is no reputation system. You'll also see some critical stats after her weapon or lack thereof; different weapons score a critical hit in a wider range, with some requiring a natural 20, others a natural 19–20, and others still a natural 18–20. Likewise, weapons do either double, triple, or in the scythe's case, quadruple damage on a critical hit.

I know the star sapphire here *can* break on bashing the chest, since it's done so in other games, but thankfully I've been getting lucky with it.

A major difference in BGR from the IE games is the crafting system — with the right materials and molds, and enough ranks in the Craft Armor/Weapon/Alchemy/Trap skills, you can make most things, and in a lot of cases, save significant money by doing so. In this case, making three chain shirts (the heaviest light armor, with the lowest Dex bonus to AC but the highest base AC) instead of buying them saves me about 90 gold per shirt overall. That ain't bad.

And of course Varisa's offhand dagger breaks when busting open the chest in the infirmary. Why daggers? Because they're cheaper than shortswords, and I can get the free +1 one in Candlekeep. I'll be switching to shortswords before too long, though.

After leaving home and doing our usual thing of heading to Beregost first, the party get its first level-up, after giving Firebead his book.

And then up at the Friendly Arm, Tarnesh kills Xzar, but that's okay. We weren't gonna be keeping him anyway.

Silke is kind of an annoying fight, but we drop her without too much trouble. She also kills two of "Feldepost's thugs," so we're able to loot their healing potions too.

After picking up Garrick, since bards are actually kind of goodish in 3.5e, we continue southward and kill a few hobgobs. One drops a pair of enchanted shortswords, which promptly replace Varisa's daggers.

Melicamp lives.

Imoen, however, does not, as the big group of hobgobs in the last area before Nashkel gang up on her and beat her down quick. Raising her won't be too expensive, only 100 gp per level. And thankfully, in NWN2 and its associated mods like BGR, a dead character can still carry equipment (and even identify items if their Lore skill is high enough, which is hilarious to me), so I don't have to do the inventory shuffle with her gear.

And then finally, Varisa and company reach Nashkel, with Imoen's rotting corpse in tow, and also with Khalid using one of Varisa's magic shortswords since all three of his flails broke en route.

Tumblr of scotch fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 28, 2019

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
How "deep" does this mod go? Just through BG1?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

JustJeff88 posted:

How "deep" does this mod go? Just through BG1?
Currently yeah, and no SoD since the mod was released before the expansion was, but BG2 Reloaded is under active (though slow) development with periodic progress reports, and I imagine once it's done they'll probably tackle SoD.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

docbeard posted:

That’s SCS and awful, unless it also added a way to return to the planar prison after quest completion.

Imprison should never be given to people who fight you in areas you can’t return to later on. I feel the same way about flesh to stone, though at least that one has a way to reverse it accessible at any temple. You can’t FIND freedom scrolls until after spellhold.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

FairGame posted:

That’s SCS and awful, unless it also added a way to return to the planar prison after quest completion.

Imprison should never be given to people who fight you in areas you can’t return to later on. I feel the same way about flesh to stone, though at least that one has a way to reverse it accessible at any temple. You can’t FIND freedom scrolls until after spellhold.

In the bare minimum of fairness, SCS also makes Freedom scrolls available earlier.

I mostly like SCS but not every design choice is a good one. Fortunately it's very tweakable these days.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
It is Go Time.

I went with a completely random character (rolled for gender, class and race, and then did not re-roll for stats) and ended up with a mediocre cleric.

It's been about 5 years since I played this so I can't remember much about min/maxing. Pretty sure he is not going to ascend the Throne of Bhaal.

Killed the belt ogre through the magic of kiting. Tarnesh killed Imoen and his MM got me down to 1HP, but luckly a gaurd finished him off. Rezed Imoen and picked up Khalid and Jaheria

Incoming Chinchilla fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 28, 2019

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Arris, human enchanter is back from vacation and continuing his journey.

Finished Rasaad's quest, Firewine, Shandalar's Island. That leaves just critical path stuff in BG (Iron Throne fight onwards) and Durlag's/Werewolf Island. Upper Durlag's wasn't an issue. Lower Durlag's...so far, so good.

Pictured: checkmate. Clearing the final floor of Durlag's tonight. Should be able to do that plus Aec or die trying.

edit: demonKnight went down like a chump. Aec next, then Karoug, then endgame. At that point I'll have done literally everything in the game other than Dorn's (can't get him to join) and Eldoth's.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 29, 2019

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Isabelle, Priest of Helm has cleared the Bandit Camp.

While getting to the Camp itself was more dangerous than I expected, thanks mainly to random Black Talon spawns, the actual fight at the camp could not possibly have gone better. After triggering the alarm, 2 casts of Web and 4 sacrificial skeleton warriors held the horde of bandits in place for a lot of fireball spam.

Mopping up the stragglers and looting the entire place was very simple after the slaughter, and I moved into Chapter 4. Imoen was very close to 40,000 XP after this, so I made a quick stop at the ankheg nest for a short grind to get her level 7, and dual-classed.

Needing to get Imoen some quick levels, I first headed to Durlag's Tower, and killed the battle horrors and basilisks there, but left without looting the place, that can wait until later. The basilisks near Mutamin where killed easily too, so easily in fact I was able to mess around a bit and get everyone except Isabelle a greater basilisk kill each. (Between Durlag's and here there's 5 in total) I wouldn't normally bother, but it broke up the gameplay a little.

Siding with Aldeth over Seniyad is worth more XP, so I did that. I also cleared out the spider area without much trouble, an invisible Imoen walked around in no danger at all, triggered all the traps and I had full control over the entire map. Simple enough really.

Next up is more Cloakwood. I should probably finish Neera's quest too, she's almost level 7, so I'm way over-levelled and the Stoneskin scroll will be very nice if I can get it.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 29, 2019

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Crick Watson, Wizard Slayer has moved beyond the tragedies of Firewine and cleaned up the Eastern Sword Coast.

(Well, except for Durlag's Tower. We will be doing it, but later.)

Hmm, that doesn't sound much like "thank you for saving our town."

Oh wow, 250 gold, that totally makes up for what we paid to resurrect Imoen...no, it's fine, let's go I SAID IT'S FINE.

There's a bit more to do in the Firewine region, including this infamous encounter. This was a big part of the reason for our trip up to Baldur's Gate; We're locked and loaded with our one (1) Arrow Of Slaying.

(I've had the arrow miss, or simply fail before, so I am not 100% confident about this.)

But it's fine. (Good thing too. SCS-buffed Kahrk is arguably the hardest fight in the game.)

Back at the Friendly Arms Inn, we return the spellbook we recovered in the Ulcaster Ruins to this fellow, who, rather than paying us, starts going on about the Great Formula that the spellbook's former owner had discovered. The Great Formula that made him disappear. Naturally he intends to bury the book deep somewhere so that no one can ever make the same mist- no of course not he intends to do the same thing, and we're invited along to watch.

We meet up where Gorion died and Ygnatz recites the Formula. I wonder what's going to-

Oh.

Short version, Karlini's Great Formula was a Balor's phone number. Specifically an incantation prepared for his cultists to prepare a sacrificial slave for him.

Karlini's been, well, presumably not cooling his heels in the hells, and by reciting the Formula, Ygnatz has pledged his soul to the same fate. Our choices are to just walk away (we still get the quest reward but...naah), fight him (lol) or...offer up our soul in exchange.

This is not quite as suicidal as it sounds. Because the Balor has been dealing with the gabbling of a gnome "scientist" for hundreds of years and the last thing he wants is more science-talk. So if you offer him your soul "for science", he'll let you go out of frustration. After you prove to him that you are indeed a scientist, by answering three trivia questions.

(Getting the questions wrong is...bad.)

We get them right though and the Balor is as good as his word and releases the souls of the grateful...ish...gnomes. They pay us a pittance, but also throw in a "trinket" for our trouble.

Nice trinket. We head off to test it out.

The Encyclopaedia Jaherica comes through once again. Isra, with our new shield, and our Ghoul Friend (mostly Isra) mop up the basilisks, Mutamin comes down with a bad case of Lots Of Darts To The Face, and the other adventurers aren't much trouble at this point.

We've just got the spider forest and...wait, what's this new location on our (modded) world map? The Watch Tower map is the location of one of our five talismans, and probably the hardest one to acquire. So we'll start there. It's a new(ish) wilderness area, that's mostly empty aside from the mod's enemies.

Mostly.

These folks are usually scattered around the map in packs of two or three, consisting of Teldorn Fighters (who aren't much to write home about), Teldorn Archers (who are basically Black Talon elites, but since they don't appear in great numbers usually, not much of a threat), and Stone Golems (who will kill the poo poo out of you). Also, see that stone tower in the background? They have a bad habit of shooting out lightning bolts.

Lucky us we managed to attract the attention of a bunch of them at once. Lucky them, Indira can cast Web.

Our goal is this tower.

Hey, he's using commas! Er, sort of.

This is probably the second toughest fight this mod brings to bear; two golems, a fighter of some description, and a wizard in very confined quarters. Indira nearly gets one-shotted but we all survive (and that hasn't always been the case when I've done this fight in the past).

We recover the first of the talismans. These are functionally magic rings. Also note the lack of a Wizard Slayer prohibition. I don't know if it was deliberate or an oversight but I am so taking advantage of it.

Otherwise the loot consists of some magic items, nothing really out of line with what you'd encounter from adventurers at this point in the game. (The mod does like to hand out Robes of the Evil Archmagi like candy though, which is fine, we could use the cash.)

We head on to the Spider Forest. The spider encounters aren't much of a problem at this point, Isra can basically tank them all herself. As for the four red wizards

We deal with them in the traditional fashion. You may notice that Isra has a miscast magic icon on her. This is because she got caught in the explosion of one of Crick's arrows of detonation. Now, she's fireproof so no big deal but that also helps illustrate the extent of the Wizard Slayer's signature ability; anything that's hit by any attack he makes, whether they take damage or not, whether they can take damage or not, gets nailed with the cascading spell failure. Now, granted, the number of things that can (a) cast spells, (b) take four arrows of detonation to the face, and (c) come in groups are small, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to milk this trick for all I'm worth at every possible opportunity.

(Darts are still a better choice most of the time.)

Next: We go to Baldur's Gate for reals.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
A quick update on Maleficarum now that I'm done with the holidays.

I cleared out the basilisk area, and celebrated by murdering this adventuring party.

Nice, Xan.

Firewine Bridge ruins cleared out, despite Imoen missing a backstab on Lightning Bolt Mage.

Outside, I avoid rushing into a fight against Kahrk so I don't get destroyed. It works.

Then I go and do Neera's quest, because why not. This fight's usually annoying, because the enemy fighters beeline for my mages instead of locking up with my front line.

I forgot to screenshot the Constitution tome, but here's me using it.

Then I decided to clear out ankhegs before moving into the Cloakwood.

At this point, I've cleared everything aside from Cloakwood, Baldur's Gate, and Tales areas, so all I really have for now is plot.I guess Maleficarum is finally going to the Cloakwood.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Aec dead.
Karoug dead.
Mendas dead.

Time to finish things.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Arris, Human Enchanter has defeated Sarevok and saved Baldur's Gate!

This was one of the easier demonKnight kills I've done.

The return to Ulgoth's Beard, though...low HP warriors = easy backstab targets. (Arris was stoneskinned and Neera invisible)

Branwen brings down Aec'Lectec, but not before it stuns and kills Coran. Temporary problem!

Branwen just killing ALL the TotSC superbosses...

There. Werewolf nonsense done.

This...this got ugly. The little dude has darts of stunning and got back to back crits on Branwen and Coran.

And then Yeslick somehow failed to save against polymorph despite having a saving throw of 1. Fortunately I had a scroll on Arris to bring him back.

If I'm gonna do EVERYTHING, that means doing the undercity bounty hunters too. Good lord that got scary.

REVENGE FOR ASHE!

Malison + Chaos kept the other 2 goons off of me while Sarevok charged into a meat grinder. With the potions available in BG1, he's not liable to last very long.

Victory!

I've never played Siege of Dragonspear before. And, uh...it nearly ended very badly. Neera got a wild surge on a magic missile, and it played the Gate animation even though it was "explosion?"

The wizard lady who is the last of Sarevok's followers got her goons ripped apart by my chess strategy. Then arrows of dispelling took care of her.

Found a secret room, restored a staff, made friends with a mummy.

But now all my friends have left and I've got OODLES of treasure in my room in the Duchal palace. How much of that can I take with me? Is this triage? Or...?

HONORS:
Ironling, Purist, Librarian, Trap Dodger, Honorable Trader, Battlemaster
DISHONORS: None

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hey congrats!

In SoD all your money from BG1 is gone for good. The items your party had equipped at the end of the first SoD is either on them when they appear later in the game, or gone for good if that character isn't in SoD. Any items in their inventory are in the chest in the palace. Any items Imoen had at the end of BG1 appear in her chest in her room. The items in your chest follow you through BG1 and can be used as a safe container for the entire story until the very end where it doesn't matter anymore. The item's in Imoens chest do not follow you so you should transfer them before leaving for Dragonspear. It is useful to save as much loot as you can in BG1 to sell once you get to SoD to restore your finds. You might not have done that though. I liked to save all the gems I can in BG1 for SoD as well as use any left over money at BG1 to purchase things like Robes of the Archmagi to sell in SoD so I have tons of money to cover my expenses.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

So...I might have a game over depending on how y'all feel:

I got jumped going to Sorcerous Sundries.

I used Aganazzar's Scorcher to kill the thing that jumped me. And then 2 Flaming Fist dipshits charged and despite my best efforts they got hit, went hostile, and then summoned a battle wizard who mazed me for an instant game over.

That seems...lame and not intended. Thoughts?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

FairGame posted:

I used Aganazzar's Scorcher to kill the thing that jumped me. And then 2 Flaming Fist dipshits charged and despite my best efforts they got hit, went hostile, and then summoned a battle wizard who mazed me for an instant game over.

That's hilarious. I always knew flaming fist were a real cudgle to enforce "good" player behavior, but I didn't know they would drop a maze on you in BG1

*Ahem* I mean, sorry for your loss.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

FairGame posted:

RIP

That's an incredibly bullshit thing to pull off, your game really hates you.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Rest in peace big rizzle

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

As always do whatever you think is fair. With a matter of conscious it's up to you to decide how to rule in these cases. If you think it's bullshit then it is.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Bah. Fine. RIP Aeris, killed by moronic AI.

Making an evil halfling barbarian; tired of this nonsense.

E: Arris, not Aeris. But I appreciate the irony.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Maleficarum is back on the plot road!

The very first map travel to the very first area results in getting waylaid by ettercaps. Considering recent events, I decided to screencap part of how I dealt with them.

Blinding sword spiders made this encounter much easier.

Xan made the wyverns sad and they had to have a lie down.

Xan made the bounty hunters sad and they had to have a lie down. Luckily I keep a Purge Invisibility on Neera since one of the mages got a Shadow Door off and I didn't want to wait for it to end.

Neera has become a walking artillery piece.

We pick up the last member of our crew, who comes it at 70k XP under the party leader due to BG1's limitations on that.

Davaeorn goes down easily. He managed to get a Lightning Bolt off, but it hit precisely nobody.

We get ambushed again on the way out, but Neera saves the day by summoning a cow.

That's the first time I've ever cleared the Cloakwood Mines without resting from the bounty hunters through Davaeorn, and I owe it all to making enemies very sad and then cutting them apart. Next time, Maleficarum heads to Baldur's Gate.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Post-Ironman Flint has had a hell of a week. He died to the asylum keeper after they cast enough spells to go Super Saiyan. The second round went smoother, then he kicked out Iroinicus without any incident. After dispatching his assassins, Flint followed him across the sea in a ship that got attacked by two bands of pirate at the same time. Once down there, he allied with a mad king to condemn a tribe of sahuagin to a slow death, because they're murderous shark people who threatened their potential savior with death every other sentence. What a bunch of ingrates.

Once I got to the underdark, I did all the side areas first, which made the drow quests a bit awkward. But, the SparkNotes version is Flint spared the male drow, triplecrossed the pair of female drow, then gave the eggs back to the dragon who gave me yet another useless crossbow.

Once I convinced the elves to let me help them , I got back to civilization and blew a jawdropping amount of money crafting weapons. Now, Flint is the proud owner of an embarrassingly powerful hammer and Minsc is tossing out save or dies with his silver sword. The lightning bow replaced a +1 short bow my noble wizard/thief had been using for a rather long time, and I also sprung for the robes of vecna for her. I also did the quest for the improved mace of disruption. When combined with all the money I spent on scrolls

Unfortunately, none of that that prevented Flint from getting level drained to death by Bodhi. Round two included a negative energy protection spell, and she was promptly sliced and diced. Now it's just a short jump back to the elves to deliver their lantern.

Current death count: 3

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
FairGame, I personally think that that was a "bullshit death" and you should reload and carry on. To put it another way, the Game was not Fair to FairGame.

Also, I'm just curious... Softface, is Czech your mother tongue or do you just play in it for fun and personal enrichment? Because I also, whenever possible, play games in another language than my principal one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

JustJeff88 posted:

Also, I'm just curious... Softface, is Czech your mother tongue or do you just play in it for fun and personal enrichment? Because I also, whenever possible, play games in another language than my principal one.
Because if you play for personal enrichment, why the gently caress would you choose Czech?

(Also the translation seems pretty awful going by the journal update blurb. Spell names will probably never not be funny but that punctuation... Is it an amateur translation they turned official with EE?)

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 30, 2019

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

He plays in Czech to make the game harder. I don't think he actually speaks any Czech from what I can remember of talking to him on Steam.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I'm changing my mind re: Arris being dead. I replayed it and they don't even use Maze. They use "Trap the Soul" (see screenshot) for an Arkanis Gath-esque insta-death.

Which I'd be fine with if not for the fact the dumbasses aggroed themselves coming to help and charging into a scorcher that had already done what it needed.

Arris is alive and I'm treating his previous death as a bug.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Man there are some awesome items in SoD.

And Minsc has his BG2 stats!

And...I thought I’d get Coran since I was told he’s around (and carrying all my arrows of dispelling) but he hosed right off and I just got his dingus girlfriend. :mad:

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Yeah it's pretty dumb how you aren't warned which NPCs leave and which stick around after the initial dungeon.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Isn't Trap the Soul the imprison that Demi Liches use? What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

FairGame, I personally think that that was a "bullshit death" and you should reload and carry on. To put it another way, the Game was not Fair to FairGame.

I speak a tiny amount of Czech I learned from the super-aggressive owl language app and I'm trying to learn more. Plus, it does make the game harder since I can trigger accidental combat, so I have to slow down and read stuff (though I do have some dialogue trees memorized, like how to make Bassilus's undead gently caress off for the fight).

anilEhilated posted:

Because if you play for personal enrichment, why the gently caress would you choose Czech?

(Also the translation seems pretty awful going by the journal update blurb. Spell names will probably never not be funny but that punctuation... Is it an amateur translation they turned official with EE?)

:smith:
I guess that explains why rest and travel always has .. after it. Not a period and not a full ellipsis. That makes sense though, because paying for a Czech translation would appeal to an incredibly niche market.

Anyway, I'm back on the Baldur bandwagon.

Wrapping up some loose ends before I plunge forward.

First thing I do in the city is make some mages sad, so I can kill them more easily.

Dex book

Ogre Battle. Even though Imoen and Neera eat a Confuse, no one dies and enough of them are sad that I can run the rest over.

I had no idea before now that this guy and his friend upstairs are immune to magic.

Int tome

All but two of this rival adventuring party become sad. One was dead by the time the spells went off. (Note: the game translates it as Gorpel Rada, which I presume means they regard him as an actual hind).

I'm not going to die.

The most sophisticated home security system in Baldur's Gate is shut down by hitting it really hard with a staff.

Oberon has no reaction to me murdering his daughters in front of him. I've never been able to get through this quest without either killing them or straight up invising past them.

Chimkem

The paladin doesn't like the fact that I'm Lawful Evil on paper, even though I have max rep. Well, I used to until I murdered him.

Hell yeah, a second Ring of Wizardry.

Even with repeat castings, not enough of these guys become sad that the whole fight is a cakewalk. It's still not terribly difficult.

I have literally never seen this guy before.

And with that Maleficarum is back in Candlekeep