Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

Here is Maul's last battle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeG215-yu-k

The significance of the simplicity of this fight might be lost on some fans, I know I needed it explained to me, so watch first and see if you can catch what Obi-Wan is doing here, then check the spoiler:
Obi-Wan at the last minute intentionally adopts Qui-Gon Jinn's combat stance here to bait Maul. Maul immediately launches into the same combo he used to kill Qui-Gon like 40 years earlier, but Obi correctly anticipates the hilt smash by Maul and instead just cuts him down the middle like loving Macbeth.
That's more attention to detail than i would have ever been prepared to give the show, and a lesser show would have spelled it out.

I didn't really recognize that - and likely still wouldn't. The thing that impressed me the most about the Maul/Kenobi fight was the understated Eastern/Kenjutsu nature of it. The actual duel is fought and won mentally with the physical actions being "punctuation" at best.[/i] One thing I wish had been done with the Jedi in the Prequel movies was [spoiler]stuff like this. Two masters square off, shifting stances, preparing actions... and the one master bows to the other, acknowledging his superiority on stance alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

zoux posted:

I guess she's part of the “female actors who seem to always play extremely dour characters but are actually unbelievably goofy and fun irl” club with Evangeline Lily and Lena Headey

She’s such a lovable nerdy goofball that I’m going to be very not mad at whatever rear end pull they play to bring her back for season 2.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

zoux posted:

I dunno if it's “the best” but my favorite duel in SW is Ventress vs Anakin from the Tartakovsky series.

Holy hell yes, the raindrops sizzling on the lightsabers will always be among my favourite SW imagery ever.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Captain Splendid posted:

I'm glad they managed to have a funny, humanising scene with stormtroopers without it devolving to slapstick

More like slapyoda

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Can you believe a character was named Savage Oppress and the script actually included leads saying her name multiple times.

Star Wars is wild.

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007

zoux posted:

Yeah, dispensing with it early so it doesn’t become a will he/won't he thing is good. Plus we all know what Pedro Pascal looks like so there's no mystery for us.

I dunno if it's “the best” but my favorite duel in SW is Ventress vs Anakin from the Tartakovsky series. The Mace Windu episode and the Grevious episodes are also particular highlights.

I still think the Tartakobsky series has some of the best "feel". The Grevious episode / Arc Troopers bits are fantastic, with some really cinematic shots and a fun style.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Thread, dumb: "Clone wars is a cartoon for children."
Clone Wars, wise:

Clone Wars spoilers: This helmet is from a clone trooper called Waxer. In season one on the battle of Ryloth they encounter a small twi'lek girl named Numa. Despite originally showing prejudice towards twi'leks, the clone troopers end up taking care of Numa and she helps them escape the droids because she knows of underground tunnels below the city. After the battle, the clones and Numa go their separate ways. Later in season 4 during the Battle for Umbara the clones are betrayed by the Jedi Pong Krell and Waxer is killed.

Being clones, many of them struggled with having a personal identity due to being genetically identical to everyone around them and would customize their armor in order to express their individuality. When we first see Waxer on Ryloth, we can see he customized his armor by adding a droid kill count on his helmet, but when we last see Waxer after he has been fatally wounded, we see that he has added a drawing of Numa on his helmet, choosing to express himself simply not by how many droids he has killed but by the girl he rescued.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The clones getting fleshed out as sentient beings was the only good part of Clone Wars that I watched. I gave up after a couple seasons. Tartakovsky's version did a lot more with a lot less I feel.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

How the hell did she get a hold of a baby yoda plushy 30 years ago?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Slashrat posted:

How the hell did she get a hold of a baby yoda plushy 30 years ago?

It still freaks me out that she’s like 55 or something

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

When they were chatting, I kept getting a "I know that voice" vibe and looked it up. Jason Sudeikis was the baby-Yoda-beater.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

zoux posted:

I dunno if it's “the best” but my favorite duel in SW is Ventress vs Anakin from the Tartakovsky series.

That's a really good sequence for the changes Anakin goes through during the fight.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TK-42-1 posted:

It still freaks me out that she’s like 55 or something

Wait, what?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

She was born 11/20/63.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Gonz posted:

She was born 11/20/63.

:aaaaa:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Obligatory

Also growing up an actress usually means that you take super-good care of your face as it's your meal-ticket.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Well that and the obvious thing rich people have good access to that we're not allowed to mention by name which incidentally is the reason Paul Rudd and Kristen Bell both look like they haven't aged in 20 years.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

MiddleOne posted:

Well that and the obvious thing rich people have good access to that we're not allowed to mention by name which incidentally is the reason Paul Rudd and Kristen Bell both look like they haven't aged in 20 years.

Bathing in the blood of virgins?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
She’s 48 hours older than the Kennedy assassination but she looks 35.

Insanity.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MiddleOne posted:

Hate to ruin the illusion, but Paul Rudd does look his age. He did an Instagram story revealing his casting in the new Ghostbusters and he had stubble and no makeup, revealing that his hair is graying and he’s pretty wrinkled. He still looks good for his age but he’s absolutely relying on professional makeup teams and hair dye for appearances.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Ming Na-Wen is the prettiest Yoda, mystery solved.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Surprised we haven't just moved to full-on virtual idols yet. Bring on the Miku Revolution.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You genuinely cant trust any scene in Ant Man or Avengers level films because even beyond digital de-aging and makeup, most actors have had digital makeup clauses in their contracts for years VFX studios you've never heard of, under very strict NDAs have been taking out crowsfeet and forehead wrinkles for like a decade+ now.

This has mostly been for guys on a Tom Cruise and Will Smith level of fame but I wouldn't be surprised of everybody in the MCU gets a bit of it done

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

Surprised we haven't just moved to full-on virtual idols yet. Bring on the Miku Revolution.

Domino’s Pizza has been on the forefront of the idol revolution for years.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

She’s a gilf my friend

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Slashrat posted:

A combination of facelifts, photoshop in still images, the best make-up people in the world and the CGI-tinkering the above poster mentioned in cases of curated video. There's no secret cure to wrinkles forming after all. You either hide them, edit them out in post or you lift to remove them altogether.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

bring back old gbs posted:

This has mostly been for guys on a Tom Cruise and Will Smith level of fame but I wouldn't be surprised of everybody in the MCU gets a bit of it done

I saw the trailer for Bad Boys 3 in theaters a couple days ago. Holy moley. Will Smith looks like he's 30 years old. Martin Lawrence looks...like how a man his age would normally look.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

quote:

The "simple pick up" on Tatooine that a rebel agent hired K2X4 the liberated security droid and her mandalorian bounty hunter comrade for turned out to be anything but.

Clutch moment of the sesh: My daugter's K2X4 murderbot lobbing a micro-rocket directly into the unbuttoned hatch on the Occupier tank, taking it out of the fight before it got to do anything.

Now that we started a new game with their own bespoke characters, my son insisted on being, what else? ...a Mandalorian Bounty Hunter.

My daughter wants to spend her take from the job on more micro-rockets.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 29, 2019

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Slashrat posted:

You ever see Parts: The Clonus Horror?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Owlbear Camus posted:

Clutch moment of the sesh: My daugter's K2X4 murderbot lobbing a micro-rocket directly into the unbuttoned hatch on the Occupier tank, taking it out of the fight before it got to do anything.

Now that we started a new game with their own bespoke characters, my son insisted on being, what else? ...a Mandalorian Bounty Hunter.

Your children are adorably terrifying.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bust Rodd posted:

Clone Wars/Rebels Duels

Yes.

The Barriss vs Anakin duel is one of my favorites from Clone Wars. It's a little short, but it feels very cinematic in its direction/action. It also does a nice job showing how much of a beast Anakin can be when wants to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tMQyJCKLcw

[edit]

Owlbear Camus posted:

I vicariously shared in their fun reading this.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 29, 2019

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

it’s the Tank Missle bit from how it should have ended

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Frankenstyle posted:

Yep. I had a couple minor nitpicks with the show, and they all revolve around the cartoon guy. I watched some of the first two seasons of Rebels but quit because it's targeted pretty hard at 11 to 13 year olds. I mean "What if a lightsaber, but dark so it's a Darksaber???" is straight up middle school creative writing class stuff, and this show is so much better than that. They need to ditch the guy who did the cartoon before he makes good on his Twitter threats of bringing in live action cartoon characters for the sake of giving himself an ego massage.

Star Wars, a film series with space wizards, teddy bears fighting Space Nazis, and pig faced gladiator men is not known for camp or silly things like "cartoons" :smug:

Do you people jack it to Rogue One when they do panning shots of Star Destroyers or something?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

bring back old gbs posted:

You genuinely cant trust any scene in Ant Man or Avengers level films because even beyond digital de-aging and makeup, most actors have had digital makeup clauses in their contracts for years VFX studios you've never heard of, under very strict NDAs have been taking out crowsfeet and forehead wrinkles for like a decade+ now.

Yeah but he's not getting that done on like, Conan, or something and still looks young there

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

I don't really know anything about the characters here but I appreciate how Savage Oppress becomes more competent and aggressive as the series progresses, and the show does a good job of keeping each combatants fighting styles distinct
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s3x8ox2ToE

Here's Maul taking down the head of Death Watch no sweat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEu_U78XFg4

Watching Sidious in action is loving crazy. I always felt like he and Dooku leaned too hard on force lightning so watching him move in a really unique, serpentine fashion with both his sabers is really cool. I've watched it like 4 times since the thread started Darksaber chat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaVYu0LPsSU

Here is Maul's last battle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeG215-yu-k

The significance of the simplicity of this fight might be lost on some fans, I know I needed it explained to me, so watch first and see if you can catch what Obi-Wan is doing here, then check the spoiler:
Obi-Wan at the last minute intentionally adopts Qui-Gon Jinn's combat stance here to bait Maul. Maul immediately launches into the same combo he used to kill Qui-Gon like 40 years earlier, but Obi correctly anticipates the hilt smash by Maul and instead just cuts him down the middle like loving Macbeth.
That's more attention to detail than i would have ever been prepared to give the show, and a lesser show would have spelled it out.

Bear in mind that Maul at this point has been wandering the Tatooine desert hoping to run into Obi Wan and is exhausted, as well as his need for revenge (on literally the entire galaxy at that point) driving him mad

His final scene with Obi Wan is fantastic, as you see some kind of peace come over him finally as he realizes it's all over, and Obi Wan tells him Luke will avenge all of them

It's so good because at this point we have seen that Maul is as much a victim of Palpatine as anyone, and his pleading with his arch enemy to make sure Palps and the Sith are destroyed

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm only 2 episodes in so far but the music alone is an evolution. This is the Star Wars that through all the years of being let down and disappointed I could no longer even articulate to myself that I was missing, or longing for. I was convinced that There Could Be No Great StarWars anymore - and maybe even that there never had been - and yet here I am glued to the screen savouring every moment.

Holy poo poo. Next episode: Play. Gonna be really tired in work tomorrow haha.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TulliusCicero posted:

Bear in mind that Maul at this point has been wandering the Tatooine desert hoping to run into Obi Wan and is exhausted, as well as his need for revenge (on literally the entire galaxy at that point) driving him mad

His final scene with Obi Wan is fantastic, as you see some kind of peace come over him finally as he realizes it's all over, and Obi Wan tells him Luke will avenge all of them

It's so good because at this point we have seen that Maul is as much a victim of Palpatine as anyone, and his pleading with his arch enemy to make sure Palps and the Sith are destroyed

Yeah, there are so many layers to the Twin Suns duel :allears:. I've gushed over it in the mainline SW TV thread a few times; it's easily my favorite lightsaber fight in the entire saga.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Cactus posted:

I'm only 2 episodes in so far but the music alone is an evolution. This is the Star Wars that through all the years of being let down and disappointed I could no longer even articulate to myself that I was missing, or longing for. I was convinced that There Could Be No Great StarWars anymore - and maybe even that there never had been - and yet here I am glued to the screen savouring every moment.

Holy poo poo. Next episode: Play. Gonna be really tired in work tomorrow haha.

Shrinking it down in scope and focusing on one aspect like the criminal underworld, Mandalorians, and bounty hunting was their smartest move. It takes a smaller, interesting segment we have seen bits and pieces of and makes it the main attraction.

I really hope this shows Disney that Star Wars stuff outside of Jedi/ Sith fate of the galaxy can do well, because I would love a Rebel Alliance/ Empire spy thriller series that is basically 007 in Space :allears:

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 30, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Yeah but he's not getting that done on like, Conan, or something and still looks young there

Here’s that Instagram story he posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syces0qwXII

He still looks good for his age but it’s a far cry from the movies and press events where he looks permanently 35. He clearly looks 50 here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It just came to mind what a good little ride the Lava Barge could be at Star Wars Land or whatever its called. Walk down a few hallways chased by stormtroopers while cast member IG-11 gets you out of some scripted close calls, then a video screen where blacksmith lady tells you to choose a sacred weapon and you pick one of 4 or so blaster rifles, then its like an on-rails arcade shooter while you go down the lava barge and IG-11 does the sacrifice at the end... And its an easter egg but if you know the secret u can make R2 go swole and be sexy arms and legs R2 and it just auto shoots the bad guys so you can explore the barge more easily.

Mandalorian does it again!